Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

It sounds like a solution in search of a problem. The simpler solution is to have the device where the secondary audio is enabled/disabled (aka, the player) handle the decoding and mixing of the streams. The only downside to this is that a little "DTS-HD MA" or "TrueHD" light doesn't appear on your receiver. Why people think that their receivers have "superior" decoding algorithms is beyond me ("this processor does math better than that one").

In the case of the S350, it cannot decode all audio formats, right? If you have a receiver like the TX705 that can decode all formats, one will be inclined to leave all the decoding to the receiver and not bother with switching back and forth. In the case of the S350, it can only stream DTS-HD MA (right?). You have to get the S550 or a PS3 to have all audio decoded by the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

In the case of the S350, it can only stream DTS-HD MA (right?).

Yup, which means you couldn't be watching a BD concert/movie that had only a DTS-HD MA primary audio track and bring up the commentary (or other BD-Live/BonusView stuff that used secondary audio) without reconfiguring the player.
post #453 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eganov View Post

Over time all this will work out but in the meantime we have a bunch of overly complex stuff that sometimes doesn't support simple functionality.

I am waiting for the day when some manufacturer releases an A/V receiver that only supports HDMI connectivity. Think of it, all those legacy connectors that you never use (along with the cost) are gone. No more remapping inputs or dealing with those arbitrary CD, DVD, SAT connections on the back of the box. Give me 5-10 HDMI IN's and 2-3 HDMI OUT's. Let me name them in the receiver setup and that's it. Oh yea, and give me a BD decodes everything.

Of course, right on cue the consumer electronics industry wants us all to ditch HDMI and move to the DisplayPort interface. That will justify charging more for/upgrading to "high-end" units that work with DisplayPort.
post #454 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I don't know why you chose a smart a$$ answer to a good discussion but the issue still remains. Bitstreaming to the receiver eliminates one of the key features that the BDA felt was a compelling reason for people to move to BD from SD DVD. Right now I see no reason to bitstream to the receiver, especially since you need to buy a new receiver to get reduced functionality.

Fine, if you prefer accessing dubious features that require downgrading the sound to core codecs to having the lossless sound as the director intended for the main feature.
post #455 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Amazon appears to have the S350 in stock now as well as Butterfly Photo and HIDEF lifestyle.
post #456 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Where at Amazon? The page for the S350 still says not in stock.
post #457 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, It was in stock when I looked this morning and when I checked again 5 minutes ago.
post #458 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

Anyone here anything from ABT? Orders shipping, etc?

I did an online chat with them today -still said players will not get to them for another 5 days. I cancelled my order and will look elsewhere for the 350.
post #459 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

post #460 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 AM

Sonystyle.com has them in stock. I ordered on Sunday, they shipped on Monday and I will receive it Wednesday I am a happy camper.
post #461 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernole View Post

I did an online chat with them today -still said players will not get to them for another 5 days. I cancelled my order and will look elsewhere for the 350.

Thanks, I'll hang in there and wait. So much going right now I would probably get in trouble dropping everything and playing with a new toy :-)
post #462 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Guys, this is the owners' thread please.

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #463 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. I'm not sure what the reason is for the receiver to do the decoding especially when it degrades functionality. Does anyone have a reason WHY bitstreaming to the receiver is needed or desired as opposed to everything being decoded in the player??

BTW, I think this is still relevant to this thread as the S350 only decodes one of the new HD formats on-board.

Many seem to think that their High End AVRs can do a better job decoding than a $400 machine.
And many want BD for the HD video and HD audio, and couldn't give a rats azz about BD live or PiP commentary.

Quote:

I don't know why you chose a smart a$$ answer to a good discussion but the issue still remains. Bitstreaming to the receiver eliminates one of the key features that the BDA felt was a compelling reason for people to move to BD from SD DVD. Right now I see no reason to bitstream to the receiver, especially since you need to buy a new receiver to get reduced functionality.

This discussion is relevant to BD players in general, and not just to this unit.
Its about the cheapest unit going, and shouldn't have to have all the decoding done in it. You can buy somewhere else.
And you could start a thread about this, or just do a search and add on to the many that already exist about it, instead of going on and on.
You tirade is not helping anyone decide if this unit is for them, or how it works, etc. I'm here looking for reviews, pro's and con's. By now on page 16, any interested party would know it doesn't decode DTS-MA.
Over and OUT!
post #464 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

Many seem to think that their High End AVRs can do a better job decoding than a $400 machine..

Which is the exact reason I have gone past where I wanted to in this discussion - to help others (myself) make decisions about whether to purchase it by trying to correct misconceptions.

Decoding is decoding, whether on the receiver or on the player - neither does it better. One way causes you to upgrade your receiver and lose functionality, the other doesn't. Seems like a valid discussion about the merits of this player to me.
post #465 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

Seems to me that a lot of folks are looking for advanced features in an entry level BD player ... frankly I want a player that doesn't take forever to load, doesn't reject/refuse to play many disc's and will give me at least the ability for 5.1 sound via optical (or analog) to my older receiver...

Very true - all I want are:

1. Faster load times - has anyone tried loading Pirates 2 - Dead Man's Chest? (all the way to the movie start past the trailers) On the PS3 this takes three (3) minutes!

2. Universal remote support.

Those two features will sell me on it.

2008: BD+ hacked... payback time for Warner, Fox and Disney!
post #466 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

It's also the official thread for this player. If someone wants information about this player, this is where they'll come. Just like every other owners thread at avs. Get over it.

Agreed, but i dont think this is the thread to discuss BD profiles, and which is better, player decode or bitstream. Why does every thread become the same stuff?

All someone needs to know is what the player is/not capable of.
I'm here to learn the finer details of this item; picture quality, audio drops and the like. If you need a player to decode everything, then this is not the player for you. What else is there to know?
post #467 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Agreed, but i dont think this is the thread to discuss BD profiles, and which is better, player decode or bitstream. Why does every thread become the same stuff?

All someone needs to know is what the player is/not capable of.
I'm here to learn the finer details of this item; picture quality, audio drops and the like. If you need a player to decode everything, then this is not the player for you. What else is there to know?

+1
post #468 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

Don't be rude. There's no reason this thread needs to be clogged with posts about who does or does not have the unit in stock. There are other threads for that. When a post is titled "official owner's thread" it's typically honored as such - if for not other reason other than simple courtesy.

+1 again!
post #469 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Online chat with Abt -

Thanks for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly...

[William] Estimate on when an order will ship. Order ID: ***********. Currently backordered. Thanks.
[Joanna M.] Welcome to Abt Live Chat.
[Joanna M.] Let me look that up for you. Please hold a moment.
[Joanna M.] Unfortunately, at this time we still have not received our shipment from Sony. Once the shipment arrives, your order will ship and you will be notified via email with tracking information.
[William] Thanks for the update. Have a great day.
[Joanna M.] You're welcome and you too.
[Joanna M.] Thanks for contacting Abt. It was a pleasure chatting with you. Have a nice day.

There's a lot of people who would be owners if Sony would bother getting units to other dealers. It's like they are trying to hog all the orders. This thread is hardly 'clogged' with posts about who has this unit in stock. It's perfectly reasonable for people who don't know to come to the official thread to see what others have to say. I've been hearing the same crap from Abt since last Monday. No wonder everyone has cancelled their orders.
post #470 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

While we're griping about the thread.... If it were a decent owners thread there would be some information about the unit in the first post.
post #471 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Here are a couple from Reign Over Me and a nice one from The Ruins...

Just want to say thanks for your indepth look at the unit. I have one question for you. I do noticed that you have an Onkyo (At least had). I believe it was the 805? Or was it the 705? I ask is because I own the 705 and was wondering how SD DVD's pass through? Does it upconvert to 1080p before it hits the receiver? If it does upconvert. How's the picture quality on the upconversion?

Thanks.
post #472 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis52 View Post

Well, I'm probably the first person to return a 350, and was very disappointed to have to do so
The problem? Color quality. I noticed that on the first few discs I auditioned, skin tones leaned toward yellow.
Any other owners notice the problem?

Is Otis52 the only person to see this issue? Can any other owners comment on this?
post #473 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lastly(thirdly), my issue is clogginig. The debating of issues that are not model specific. Eganov is beating a dead horse.

Hi,

Yes, in a perfect world no one would ever post off-topic, but do you really consider these exchanges regarding "who should be allowed to post what?" as any less thread clogging or off-topic?

How about all you folks on both sides of this argument just show some restraint and refrain from beating this dead horse from here on out?

Thanks for your consideration... this will be my first and last thread clogging posting.

Larry
post #474 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 PM

I played my first disc on my new S350 yesterday. I watched Cloverfield. Sound was fantastic. I did notice that the skin tone was somewhat yellow. I was going to rent another disc tomorrow and check the manual for settings.
post #475 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

Guys, this is the owners' thread please.

, I am interested also in s350 but some people here are not so cool, you need to be an owner first before you can post. I am sure the admin would appreciate it if you ask question here rather than opening a new thread right or maybe not. ,

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #476 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM

I was simply commenting on all the people complaining that their units had not shipped or arrived and the dozen: "where can I get one" posts. But apparently I'm the only one annoyed by those posts. At least I gave a number of people a chance to display their defensive sarcastic skills

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #477 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Dang, for the recent release of this player, it sure is slow in here.

btw, i went back and cleaned up some of my unnecessary posts.
post #478 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourke View Post

Very true - all I want are:

1. Faster load times - has anyone tried loading Pirates 2 - Dead Man's Chest? (all the way to the movie start past the trailers) On the PS3 this takes three (3) minutes!

2. Universal remote support.

Those two features will sell me on it.

1) with the quick start turned on, the S350 boots up for power off real fast. Did nt try POTC 2 yet.

2) Uses all the codes from a Sony S1, S300, S500 (except FORMAT doesnt work, and subsitute HOME for SYSTEM MENU). I think the THEATER button is new added to the S350 unit. but discrete ON and OFF work perfect. I can post if anyone needs them.

I will test to see if composite video is still live when HDMI is playing 1080p24. I think it is.

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #479 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have two two dumb questions. This is my first BD player so I don't know everything about the technology.

1. J justed watch The Bucket List - when I press the display key on the remote to the left of the green play arrow it says VC-1? What is VC-1

2. I can only get the pop-up menus to work. I can never to the main menu on a BD discs to display. I think I got it once by accident on Batman Begins. But have not been able to do so again. What is going on?
post #480 of 6745 Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Has anyone tested out the parental control features? They don't seem to be working at all. I've set it to the lowest setting and I'm still able to get into the disc.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page