post #541 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliper View Post

First post...been lurking. I've got to say one thing..the yellow push is disturbing, we'll get some reviews and see why. Also...the weight and build of the 350 makes it 'cheap'??? Are you kidding me...their doesnt' need to be much inside the player to make it work. Ever messed with an iPhone? sure you have...it weighs 3 ounces and is a cell phone, movie player, web browser, MP3 player, alarm clock, etc....you get the point. If you want a 1/4 inch metal chassis to make you comfortable with the build quality, then weld a frame on the 350. I'm interested in performance. Only. I'll have questions on a new receiver later...gotta get my flaming over first! Fire away...

iPhone is relatively heavy for a cell phone.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my S350 yesterday, and I was playing around with many movies including the bank Job, and honestly this machine is pretty damn good. This dvd player is really fast even though the hardware is really small, but its nice. I was wow when I put I, Robot and saw the picture and the sound difference. SONY has made a big jump on improvement from the S300 to this now.
post #543 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Of course the other option is that they decided to save a bit of money by not licensing the HD decoding algorithms from DTS.

I would prefer that this was the case. This can change or be firmware hacked into changing. A chip cannot.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #544 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
How's the bass management? are there speaker level settings in the setup?

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #545 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I too stopped by the local sonystyle store.
I've got to say that this 350 is more mainstream than any other player.
Its small and light, just like any other dvd player out there.
They did not have it running though, so i could not see its performance.
I also finally got to see a ps3 up close. I was impressed. Nice piece of hardware. A bit warm up top (standing vertically), but that was expected.
Too bad they did not have them running side by side.
post #546 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

How prevalent is this feature and "how cool" is it to have. I have an Onkyo 705 that can decode all of the current sound track so I can take bitstream. As you have said, the DTS-HD MA 2ndary must be processed by the player which the S330 does not provide. At this point this the only thing holding me back from grabbing an S330 from the store. Comments...

There's a sticky thread here that lists the primary and secondary audio support for many BD releases. I didn't tally it up but DTS-HD seems to have more momentum than DTS did in the SD world. Universal is also pushing to have DTS-HD MA become the lossless standard.

I have an 805 and am also reconsidering an S350 for the same reason. Right now, there's not a lot of what I consider compelling stuff coming over secondary audio, but this feature was one that BDA felt might be significant in people moving from SD to HD. Of course, many new technologies always market the possibilities and many times they are never leveraged. In this case though, multiple mixed audio/video streams, combined with live content over the Internet AND Java applications sounds like it has quite a bit of potential.
post #547 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM

I am a rather newbie to Bluray and I have read the threads but I am not clear on a few items.

Sounds like the S350 has an Internet connection (ethernet) --- can this be adopted for use on a home wireless network (I thought I read we have to use some wireless game cube)?

Does it have a USB port and can that be used for a wireless network?

Also, the S350 appears only to be only Profile 1.1 but I thought I read about folks using memory cards (plug in) as well. Will that allow the unit to be Profile 2 later especially since it has the internet connection for firmware updates? If not, what is the extra memory used for?

I am just trying to decide b/w the S350 and later S550.

Thx!
post #548 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWAnderson View Post

Page 62 of the manual seems to suggest in footnote 6 that the two audio tracks would not be mixed, but rather that the main track would be output as DD or DTS and the secondary track would be output as LPCM two-channel signals. It is unclear, however, how the LPCM signals would be output and how they would be treated by a receiver.

Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

take a look at page 62 audio support.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS350_US.pdf

Ok looked at this page and correct me if I'm wrong but this player DOES NOT bitstream DTS HD/MA correct ? If not I'll keep waiting
post #549 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
FFF

No no SupermanRob, it's not clear, but look at *5, if you set the player to "Direct", it will bitstream any codec! This table is more for receivers which do not decode HD codecs. But it's not clear, at the beginning I understood it just like you.
post #550 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

Ok looked at this page and correct me if I'm wrong but this player DOES NOT bitstream DTS HD/MA correct ? If not I'll keep waiting

This player DOES bitstream DTS-HD MA. This is covered in footnote 5 (the BD Audio Setting needs to be set to Direct [aka, bitstream]).
post #551 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

When will these sites get real experts that actually have much better testing equipment to do their reviews or hands on???

They sound like avs.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #552 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

They sound like avs.

I wouldn't bother with a review from Engadget. Just a bunch of kids with no idea what they're talking about. Half of them need to retake writing courses.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #553 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Liked: 15
Is this player better than the Panasonic DMP-30K?

I'm having trouble figure out which one to get.
post #554 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

iPhone is relatively heavy for a cell phone.

I agree...that's why I dont' carry the iPhone but you still get my point. I bought a 52 inch Sony Bravia LCD XBR5 in March....been waiting on this 350 since then. And now its' out, there are reports of this yellow push on certain pictures. I am not a HT aficianado, I just want a nice system to work and not a bunch of tweaking or testing. Here's my point, are you guys that are seeing this 'yellow push' extremely critical HT buffs where you'd recognize it whereas the average Joe (me) might not notice it? There will never be a perfect machine, but after months of waiting I want to buy it and work properly. Dangit, I want to watch the Snow Leopard chase his prey on Planet Earth in 1080p !!! Without worrying about 'yellow' .
post #555 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliper View Post

I agree...that's why I dont' carry the iPhone but you still get my point. I bought a 52 inch Sony Bravia LCD XBR5 in March....been waiting on this 350 since then. And now its' out, there are reports of this yellow push on certain pictures. I am not a HT aficianado, I just want a nice system to work and not a bunch of tweaking or testing. Here's my point, are you guys that are seeing this 'yellow push' extremely critical HT buffs where you'd recognize it whereas the average Joe (me) might not notice it? There will never be a perfect machine, but after months of waiting I want to buy it and work properly. Dangit, I want to watch the Snow Leopard chase his prey on Planet Earth in 1080p !!! Without worrying about 'yellow' .

I don't think everyone is having this problem with yellow. I would buy it locally and just return it if you notice the same problem.

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #556 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post

Sounds like the S350 has an Internet connection (ethernet) --- can this be adopted for use on a home wireless network (I thought I read we have to use some wireless game cube)?

If you cannot string Ethernet cable from your wireless router over to the S350, then you need to buy a Wireless Access Point (WAP), which is like the wireless router you already have but without the routing and switching functions. (You can also adapt any wireless router, much cheaper and more widely available than niche WAPs, to act as a WAP. You'll find this strange hypocrisy where WAPs are super-expensive compared to wireless routers, even though they do several things less!) That would plug into your S350's Ethernet port and pass the Internet connection to/from your wireless router.
post #557 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Sometimes you can get cheap wireless routers for nearly nothing after rebates.
post #558 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmoon View Post

If you cannot string Ethernet cable from your wireless router over to the S350, then you need to buy a Wireless Access Point (WAP), which is like the wireless router you already have but without the routing and switching functions. (You can also adapt any wireless router, much cheaper and more widely available than niche WAPs, to act as a WAP. You'll find this strange hypocrisy where WAPs are super-expensive compared to wireless routers, even though they do several things less!) That would plug into your S350's Ethernet port and pass the Internet connection to/from your wireless router.

hpmoon

If you use either a router or a WAP to connect the S-350 to the net, would that be okay to use for firmware updates?

Not sure about BD players, but I've read in some PrePro threads that they recommend not using a wireless connection to update the PrePro's firmware.

Thanks
Bruce
post #559 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
jg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmoon View Post

...(You can also adapt any wireless router, much cheaper and more widely available than niche WAPs, to act as a WAP. You'll find this strange hypocrisy where WAPs are super-expensive compared to wireless routers, even though they do several things less!)...

Do you have any further information on how to acomplish this? I have an extra router and would like to do this for a player in another room away from my main router/DSL modem. This would cheaper rather than buying a WAP. Thanks.

end of line
post #560 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM

How is yellow push an issue if the display is calibrated to the source? Does the player arbitrarily boost yellow saturation for both DVDs and BDs on different movies, boost on one medium but not the other, or boost consistently across all movies and both media? If the player does it for everything, then that should be easily remedied by calibration, no?
post #561 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post

How is yellow push an issue if the display is calibrated to the source? Does the player arbitrarily boost yellow saturation for both DVDs and BDs on different movies, boost on one medium but not the other, or boost consistently across all movies and both media? If the player does it for everything, then that should be easily remedied by calibration, no?

NO yellow push issue when using an S350 with a 60A3000. Those who have this problem might want to try turning off x.v. Color (unlikely this will change anything, but worth a shot). I do notice a slight difference in gamma between the S350 and S300 but don't know which player is off standard until I do further testing.
post #562 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg! View Post

Do you have any further information on how to acomplish this? I have an extra router and would like to do this for a player in another room away from my main router/DSL modem. This would cheaper rather than buying a WAP. Thanks.

If you have two Linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS routers, here's how. Sveasoft has firmware for many routers in the downloads section if you want to unlock a lot of extra options for your router.
post #563 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
could someone please answer this for me:

a) can the S350 decode DTS-MA internally and output it via analog outs?
b) does it have independent adjustments for level and distance, under the bass management?

thank you
post #564 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

b) does it have independent adjustments for level and distance, under the bass management?

thank you

a) Nope! only stream and there is no multichannel analog out as I hoped. Only HDMI and 2 channel out.

b) I'm waiting for an answer on that one myself.

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #565 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweb View Post

...I do notice a slight difference in gamma between the S350 and S300 but don't know which player is off standard until I do further testing.

Surely all BD players need a mode (a default mode even) where they just pass decoded pixels to the display over HDMI with no modification whatsoever, in which case you wouldn't need to recalibrate moving from one player to another.

The problem with the more sophisticated players that are capabable of processing the video data (changing gamma, colour space, etc.) is that it's all too easy to break the true pass through mode. Hopefully this is a minor issue with the Sony that's going to be easy to resolve.
post #566 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Just received my player and upon initial examination with 3 different Blu-ray discs, I don't have the "yellow push" that some others have had. I'm still setting things up and if it appears that there is a problem, I will report back.
post #567 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techweb View Post

NO yellow push issue when using an S350 with a 60A3000. Those who have this problem might want to try turning off x.v. Color (unlikely this will change anything, but worth a shot). I do notice a slight difference in gamma between the S350 and S300 but don't know which player is off standard until I do further testing.

Ahh ... I hope not, I have a 55A3000 but won't have my 350 for another 2 weeks (ABT), are there any Sony KDS-xxA3000 users that DON'T see the yellow push? Seems odd that the problems would happen between a Sony Display and a Sony BR player

DOH .... stupid me, read it too fast, he said NO problems ...well never mind (best Rosanna Danna voice).
post #568 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

thank you

There are no bass management settings for the S350. Are you mistakenly thinking of the S550 which is not out yet?
post #569 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

I ordered this one and will give a try when I receive my S350. That is as to whether it will fit. Whether it will work when BD Live is enabled, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

Let us know, I'll be interested to see if it works.

This flash drive is recognized by the S350.
post #570 of 6755 Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

This flash drive is recognized by the S350.

Good deal!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page