post #6721 of 6748 Old 01-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyranger51686 View Post

Hey guys I am wanting to know if one could add video movies to a thumb drive and play them via the USB port on this blu ray player? Can this player do such thing? If it can what video formats does it play via USB. Thanks!!

No - I believe the a thumb drive inserted into the rear USB memory slot provides BD Live functionality only. The player CAN, however, handle burned cd, dvd and bd media.
Check out the manual for the player for more details.

https://docs.sony.com/release/BDPS350_US.pdf

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone, I'm new here so please be gentle

I have just bought a Canton DM50 sound base and am running a bluray player and TV into it. Everything has been connected as per instructions - the TV via an optical toslink and the bluray player via a coaxial (both cables were supplied with the unit).

The issue I'm having is that, whilst watching a bluray, the audio is working fine when in the menu area, but when the movie actually starts to play there is no audio. On some discs you have the option to set a standard DD 5.1 track which resolves this issue, but many bluray films do not offer this manual option.

Another 'fix' was to go to the actual bluray player settings and set the Dolby Digital and DTS to 'downmix PCM' but from what I understand this converts the multi channel into a stereo channel which is less than ideal.

According to the specification the Canton does decode Dolby 5.1 and DTS but I don't know how to send the correct signal without comprimising to 2 channel stereo or manually setting a given films audio options to a standard 5.1 track (taking into account that a lot of films don't give this manual option).

Is there some setting I need to make on the bluray player in order to have 5.1 sent to the Canton correctly - shouldn't it just work?

My Bluray player is a Sony BDP-S350.

Many thanks

post #6723 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Embedded link removed.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #6724 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Embedded link removed.

I wasn't aware there was one, sorry.

post #6725 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb73 View Post

According to the specification the Canton does decode Dolby 5.1 and DTS but I don't know how to send the correct signal without comprimising to 2 channel stereo or manually setting a given films audio options to a standard 5.1 track (taking into account that a lot of films don't give this manual option).

Is there some setting I need to make on the bluray player in order to have 5.1 sent to the Canton correctly - shouldn't it just work?

Hi daveb73, in the BD player audio menu set "Audio Output Priority as "Coaxial/Optical", "BD Audio" as "Direct", "Dolby Digital" as "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" as "DTS".
post #6726 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi daveb73, in the BD player audio menu set "Audio Output Priority as "Coaxial/Optical", "BD Audio" as "Direct", "Dolby Digital" as "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" as "DTS".

Thanks for your response JChin - I've got all of that set as described except for the BD Audio as 'direct', mines set to 'mix' - could you explain what that will do to fix the issue? thanks again

post #6727 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

Thanks for your response JChin - I've got all of that set as described except for the BD Audio as 'direct', mines set to 'mix' - could you explain what that will do to fix the issue? thanks again
Mix gives you stereo only. I can't explain why. That's just how it works. Change it to Direct to get surround.
post #6728 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Mix gives you stereo only. I can't explain why. That's just how it works. Change it to Direct to get surround.

Thanks mdavej - will this resolve the 'no sound' issue during bluray film playback then?

post #6729 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks mdavej - will this resolve the 'no sound' issue during bluray film playback then?
I've never experienced the 'no sound' issue, so there are no guarantees. All I can tell you is those are the correct settings for bitstreaming Dolby and DTS 5.1. There are a small number of discs that have only PCM soundtracks. In that case, stereo is the best you can do. I've never run across such a disc myself.
post #6730 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM

It seems to be any bluray that uses a HD audio track as standard. Out of Elysium, Captain Philips, Pacific Rim, Jurassic Park and Star Trek Into Darkness only Star Trek worked. I could set a 5.1 track via the audio menu on the Jurassic Park menu which worked, but the other films didn't have this option.
post #6731 of 6748 Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It seems to be any bluray that uses a HD audio track as standard. Out of Elysium, Captain Philips, Pacific Rim, Jurassic Park and Star Trek Into Darkness only Star Trek worked. I could set a 5.1 track via the audio menu on the Jurassic Park menu which worked, but the other films didn't have this option.
The instructions for your sound bar specifically state it cannot decode Dolby Digital or DTS. If this is correct, you should not bitstream. Since you have only 2.1 speakers, there is no point in decoding 5.1 anyway.
post #6732 of 6748 Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The instructions for your sound bar specifically state it cannot decode Dolby Digital or DTS. If this is correct, you should not bitstream. Since you have only 2.1 speakers, there is no point in decoding 5.1 anyway.

But the specifications features in the same manual clearly state:

Features:

bass and treble control
Dolby® Digital
DTS TruSurround®
Remote control
integrated Subwoofer
LED Display
LipSync function for exact speech synchronization
Virtual surround sound & stereo playback

So what does this actually mean?

thanks

post #6733 of 6748 Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe it means it can play them if already decoded into PCM by your source device. But the troubleshooting table in the back says it can't decode them, so bitstreaming shouldn't work. DTS TruSurround is simulated surround.
post #6734 of 6748 Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
DTS TruSurround is a processing method of converting a 5.1 input to a 2.1 output for TV speakers and soundbars. It does not mean the system has a DTS decoder. In fact, your symptoms suggest it does not.

When you play discs with DTS soundtracks, you get audio until the DTS portion begins. Then you get nothing. That's what will happen when the processor can handle the type of audio on the menus and previews (PCM and DD), but cannot decode the type used on the movie itself (DTS).

I suggest you set the Dolby output to Dolby and the DTS output to downmix PCM. If your soundbar lacks a DTS decoder, that's the best you can do.
post #6735 of 6748 Old 02-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

DTS TruSurround is a processing method of converting a 5.1 input to a 2.1 output for TV speakers and soundbars. It does not mean the system has a DTS decoder. In fact, your symptoms suggest it does not.

When you play discs with DTS soundtracks, you get audio until the DTS portion begins. Then you get nothing. That's what will happen when the processor can handle the type of audio on the menus and previews (PCM and DD), but cannot decode the type used on the movie itself (DTS).

I suggest you set the Dolby output to Dolby and the DTS output to downmix PCM. If your soundbar lacks a DTS decoder, that's the best you can do.

Thank you Blslander, I think you may have nailed it with this info, this is why the odd bluray will play fine and the films that allow you to manually select Dolby 5.1 play fine, but all the DTS and HD tracks wont play.

So if, like you suggest, I set my Dolby Digital to 'Dolby Digital' and my DTS to 'Downmix PCM' I should be sorted.

One more thing - there is an option to set the downmix to be either stereo or Dolby ProLogic (last option on the Sony audio menu), so I'm guessing I should set to the ProLogic in order to send a 2.1 channel mix via PCM instead of just a stereo track - have I got this correct?

One more last thing (I promise) will there be a marked difference from the soundbar between the Dolby 5.1 input and the PCM input i.e. will the surround sound and overall performance be noticeably weaker when the soundbar is playing out a PCM track?

thanks again

post #6736 of 6748 Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
The player output is stereo with either downmix setting, as the S/PDIF protocol used with a coax connection is restricted to just two channels of PCM. ProLogic is useful if the receiving processor has a ProLogic decoder. The player encodes the center channel and a surround channel into the stereo mix in a way that the receiver can extract them for 5.1 playback. I don't know how your soundbar would handle a PL encoded source. Try it both ways and see.

As for quality, PCM is better than DD 5.1. PCM is the original, high resolution content. But, in your situation, it is limited to stereo rather than multichannel. As you don't have a 5.1 system, the difference between stereo and 5.1 may not matter much at all. Try switching between DD 5.1 and downmixed PCM with a Blu-ray that has a TrueHD track and see if you like one over the other.
post #6737 of 6748 Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:

^^
The player output is stereo with either downmix setting, as the S/PDIF protocol used with a coax connection is restricted to just two channels of PCM. ProLogic is useful if the receiving processor has a ProLogic decoder. The player encodes the center channel and a surround channel into the stereo mix in a way that the receiver can extract them for 5.1 playback. I don't know how your soundbar would handle a PL encoded source. Try it both ways and see.

As for quality, PCM is better than DD 5.1. PCM is the original, high resolution content. But, in your situation, it is limited to stereo rather than multichannel. As you don't have a 5.1 system, the difference between stereo and 5.1 may not matter much at all. Try switching between DD 5.1 and downmixed PCM with a Blu-ray that has a TrueHD track and see if you like one over the other.

Thanks Blslander

Did some messing around last night and it's clear now that the sound base accepts/decodes DD 5.1 but not DTS. DD 5.1 movies sounds great through the sound base but a DTS track is not as dynamic (using either stereo or Pro Logic downmix). The main issue seems to be that the dialogue is not as clear or as centered as when a DD 5.1 signal is being received so it seems that the sound base does prefer a 5.1 signal to reprocess into psudo-surround.

I'm wondering if PCM downmix is my best and/or only option for DTS tracks - would the optical output from the TV give a purer/better signal to the sound base for processing do you think (HDMI from bluray player to TV, TV then outputs sound as 2 channels stereo through optical out to soundbase)?

thanks

post #6738 of 6748 Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The output of the TV will almost certainly be the same as the output of the player. TVs can't decode DTS either. So, in the HDMI handshake, the TV will tell the player to decode and downmix DTS tracks to stereo PCM.
post #6739 of 6748 Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:

The output of the TV will almost certainly be the same as the output of the player. TVs can't decode DTS either. So, in the HDMI handshake, the TV will tell the player to decode and downmix DTS tracks to stereo PCM.

So it's still worth running the player direct then as I'll get better sound from the DD 5.1 movies. Any suggestions in improving the sound from the PCM tracks then, as I say, it mainly seems to be that the dialogue is less focused?

Actually, is there not scope for getting a bluray player with a built in DTS decoder or am I missing the point?

thanks

post #6740 of 6748 Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Your player has a DTS decoder, although the S350 can only decode the lossy core of a dts-MA track. That's how it does the stereo downmix. It decodes the tracks, producing multichannel PCM, and then does the downmix to stereo.

But, having a DTS decoder in the player doesn't address your problem. Optical or coax connections cannot send multichannel PCM, just stereo. The only way to send multichannel over those connections is DD 5.1 or DTS.

I think your only solution is getting a player that can transcode DTS sources to DD 5.1 outputs. If memory serves, a PS3 can do that. Or, get a different soundbar, one that can decode DTS.
post #6741 of 6748 Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:

Your player has a DTS decoder, although the S350 can only decode the lossy core of a dts-MA track. That's how it does the stereo downmix. It decodes the tracks, producing multichannel PCM, and then does the downmix to stereo.

But, having a DTS decoder in the player doesn't address your problem. Optical or coax connections cannot send multichannel PCM, just stereo. The only way to send multichannel over those connections is DD 5.1 or DTS.

I think your only solution is getting a player that can transcode DTS sources to DD 5.1 outputs. If memory serves, a PS3 can do that. Or, get a different soundbar, one that can decode DTS.

Thanks Blslander

I've tested a few DTS track movies last night (via PCM) and the sound is pretty good - you get a decent surround effect etc. but the overall punch and dynamics aren't up there with a proper Dolby surround signal, the biggest issue being that the dialogue isn't as defined during noisy scenes.

I was just wondering if there were any other settings in the Sony player menu's that might help with this - I see there's a dynamic range setting (auto, standard, TV and dynamic) - would this effect a PCM downmix or is it only useful for Dolby and DTS outputs do you know?

thanks

post #6742 of 6748 Old 02-28-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

DRC only works on PCM and it might help. Dynamic Range Control lowers the loudest passages and boosts the quietest parts, which can help when dialog is getting overwhelmed by effects. But, it also sucks some of the life out of active soundtracks.
post #6743 of 6748 Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:

DRC only works on PCM and it might help. Dynamic Range Control lowers the loudest passages and boosts the quietest parts, which can help when dialog is getting overwhelmed by effects. But, it also sucks some of the life out of active soundtracks.

Quote:

Does DRC work on both Dolby and DTS downmixed to PCM?

thanks

post #6744 of 6748 Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 PM

I know this was so long ago but did you ever find a solution with the "freeze" issue on the s350? Thanks.

post #6745 of 6748 Old 03-01-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does DRC work on both Dolby and DTS downmixed to PCM?
Yes.
post #6746 of 6748 Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Question if anyone could help..
Does the newest firmware on this player have cinavia protection?
post #6747 of 6748 Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Question if anyone could help..
Does the newest firmware on this player have cinavia protection?
Sony BDP-S350: Release Date 6/21/2012 Version 026 = NO CINAVIA

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #6748 of 6748 Old Today, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So anything after 026 is cinavia protected

Last edited by Holiday121; Today at 08:09 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com