The Official Sony BDP-S350 Owners Thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #6781 of 6787 Old 03-21-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 61
/\ . . the firmware in your S350 has not received (nor needed) updating in a number of years, so you probably are running the most current release.
Regarding disc playback: although it is possible that your player is wearing out, you might try cleaning the discs before playing them, and cleaning the inside of the player before writing off your S350. I use an old Discwasher disc cleaning device and it works great. I see versions made by Philips out on EBay very cheap. There are also disc based player cleaners out there, but I don't use them. I tend to open up the player & use a q-tip with a small amount of denatured alcohol on it to carefully clean the laser lens assembly.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6787 Old 04-23-2016, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sony BDP and DTS issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin
@NickRHave

I thought this was a D&M DTS:X update issue resulting in Sony BDP's not outputting DTS bitstream due to some HDMI EDID FU. Perhaps it is a global DTS:X firmware update issue.
See:
Post 9605
Post 4042

There are more posts about this issue besides the two above if you feel like searching.

Similar issue with my Sony bdps350. Just popped in Last Witch hunter,my first DTSx disc, and no DTSX output. Shows in my 3050 as DTS 5.1 output. Tried all the settings in the player and no joy.
Also, if the audio is 7.1 DTS MA it is output as 6.1 DTS EX.
5.1 MA is just DTS now. So all MA is gone as is 7.1 and no DTSX.
True HD and Atmos are working fine.
Methinks a call to Yamaha tomorrow is in order.

Thought I would start a thread, it was mentioned in another one but I'm wondering if anyone has info ?
I called Yamaha and the tech guy I talked to says he had not heard of this problem.

Yamaha RXA-3050, BenQ W5000, 122" Screen, (3) Sony TAN-55, QSC EX2500, (2) Adire Maelstrom 18"
Klipsch & ADS speakers (7.1.4)
(2) Sonance 260x3, AC Infinity fans
Monster Power ProAv2000/HTS5100
post #6783 of 6787 Old 06-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Old bluray player vs slightly less old player-- which is better

Quick question for experts here. I've been using my old Sony S-350 for like 7 years now ... thing is built like a tank and chugs along fine. I have an issue where I changed audio receivers and it no longer fits in my cabinet, but I also own a smaller Sony BX18 which I can fit instead.

Question is, which is the better player? Were there any improvements with bluray players over the last several years as far as video quality goes? Will I notice any difference in quality between them? Video or audio-wise? I did a quick test, and didn't notice much of a difference, but I wouldn't see subtle differences in a quick test anyway.

Would newer = better? Or was the older model better in some way? Only difference I noticed was that the newer model was slightly quicker with disc loading, although the player is so cheap looking/plasticy, I can't help but wonder if it is worse in some other ways.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 06-05-2016 at 12:58 PM.
post #6784 of 6787 Old 06-05-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 918
No difference in audio/video quality. Newer = cheaper, faster loading, more apps, smaller, no analog. But to be fair, you're comparing your 350, which was top of the line (only model) at the time, with Sony's absolute lowest end model.
post #6785 of 6787 Old 06-05-2016, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No difference in audio/video quality. Newer = cheaper, faster loading, more apps, smaller, no analog. But to be fair, you're comparing your 350, which was top of the line (only model) at the time, with Sony's absolute lowest end model.
Not quite true. The BDP-S550 was the next higher model (basically added 7.1 analog audio outputs). The BDP-S5000ES was also available around the same time & was the real top of the line player from Sony, built like a tank & offering the very best analog audio output of any players by far.

post #6786 of 6787 Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Not quite true. The BDP-S550 was the next higher model (basically added 7.1 analog audio outputs). The BDP-S5000ES was also available around the same time & was the real top of the line player from Sony, built like a tank & offering the very best analog audio output of any players by far.
Thanks. I guess the 550 came out after I bought my 350. Seems like there wasn't any other option at the time. It was a long time ago.
post #6787 of 6787 Old 06-07-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Thanks. I guess the 550 came out after I bought my 350. Seems like there wasn't any other option at the time. It was a long time ago.
The S350 was my very first BD player - it still works fine. I don't recall if the S550 was available for purchase day 1 of the S350 . . .
I picked up a S550 later that year when Sony threw them on sale to take advantage of lossless audio via my analog audio inputs on my Yamaha RX-V1 receiver. That did not work out too well since the LFE channel analog output on all players apparently is depressed by 10db and my Yamaha receiver could only reduce the input signal (I needed to increase the signal).
I think it was the following year that the local BestBuy was blowing out the BDP-S1000ES for $80 - and I grabbed one of those. It is still my primary player now feeding lossless audio over hdmi to my Yamaha RX-V3900 & the S350 and S550 are boxed back up and stored in an unused bedroom!

Last edited by Rich86; 06-07-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , oldest sony blu ray still working , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , sony bdp-s350 , sony blu ray players , unable to get 7.1 sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page