Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrobinson View Post

Thank you. What audio format comes out over the analogue 5.1?

And, this player only has 2.0 channel analog, not 5.1 as had previously been assumed for the last few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrobinson View Post

Can someone tell me what audio will be sent to a pre-amp/processor that is connected to a bd350 via an optical cable? My pre-amp does not have hdmi inputs. So if the 350 decodes the audio will that be sent over the optical cable?

Page 62 of the manual suggests that Dolby Digital / DTS / LPCM 2ch will (can) be sent. (This is subject to interpretation of the footnotes.) As I don't yet have an S350, I can't say what it really does.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

Page 62 of the manual suggests that Dolby Digital / DTS / LPCM 2ch will (can) be sent. (This is subject to interpretation of the footnotes.) As I don't yet have an S350, I can't say what it really does.

This sounds correct with what I have seen(heard) so far. I have been able to get LPCM 2ch (Ratatouille, down from 5.1 LPCM on the disk) Dolby Digital, and DTS over an optical connection.

I have read that you get a higher bit rate compared to most DVDs for both Dolby Digital and DTS, and I can honestly say that it does sound a little better than DVD with the couple things I have watched so far.

I will get a new receiver in the future that can handle all of the new formats.. but for now getting into Blu-ray at all is a great start.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM

I just received my 350 and I hooked it up to my Panasonic TH-42PZ700U(1080p) with an HDMI cable and inserted the blue ray disc '300'. I am very dissapointed in the picture. The picture does not cover the full screen. There are gaps at the top and bottom. The picture also looks very grainy. This is not at all what I thought the picture would look like.

What could be wrong?
Is it supposed to look like that?
Is it the movie?

I have it set to 1080p output. It is set to 16:9 ratio.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM

You realize that 300 is a grainy picture right? Try another Blu Ray Disc. And the Black Bars on top and bottom are there because thats how the BD was
made, some like it, some don't mind it. I think they SHOULD NOT have the Black Bars anymore, since High Def TV's in general are wide screen, but many Blu Ray Discs still are this way.

P.S. What is the consensus of picture quality on this BD Disc Player? Better than any previous version? Not much discussion on something thats probably considered the most important aspect of the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend2308 View Post

I just received my 350 and I hooked it up to my Panasonic TH-42PZ700U(1080p) with an HDMI cable and inserted the blue ray disc '300'. I am very dissapointed in the picture. The picture does not cover the full screen. There are gaps at the top and bottom. The picture also looks very grainy. This is not at all what I thought the picture would look like.

What could be wrong?
Is it supposed to look like that?
Is it the movie?

I have it set to 1080p output. It is set to 16:9 ratio.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 PM

Also, so with this player, viewing bonusview (PIP) when your bitstreaming Dolby Tru HD or DTS-HD Master Audio will automatically put everything back to Dolby Digital or? I'm a bit confused. If somebody could reply that has tested this, I would appreciate it.

Also, let's get this straight. Do you need an additional memory USB Drive for 1.1 or no? Is it incorrect in the manual or was a previous poster right, in that they have to say you must have the memory stick in order for it to be BD-Live ready. Let's get this straight once and for all and put it on the front page of the forum. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM

Can anyone else attest that the black bars are the format of the DVD 300? I still have a grainy picture with it though.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

Also, so with this player, viewing bonusview (PIP) when your bitstreaming Dolby Tru HD or DTS-HD Master Audio will automatically put everything back to Dolby Digital or? I'm a bit confused. If somebody could reply that has tested this, I would appreciate it.

Also, let's get this straight. Do you need an additional memory USB Drive for 1.1 or no? Is it incorrect in the manual or was a previous poster right, in that they have to say you must have the memory stick in order for it to be BD-Live ready. Let's get this straight once and for all and put it on the front page of the forum. Thanks.

If you are Bitstreaming and have Bonus View on, I don't think you will get sound from the PiP. You need to have it on Mixed.

Blu-Ray: 40
Yamaha RX-V663
Sony BDP-S350
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM

I've watched 8 blu-rays on my S350 now, and it's still without any flaws or faults.

The only thing that's bugging me at this point is that it doesn't seem to want to or be able to be told to default the soundtrack to a high def format. On every single disk I have to fight my way through menus to select TrueHD or DTSMA or PCM.

Is there some option I haven't yet managed to find to tell the S350 to default to the HD formats, like how we can tell it which language to default to, or some other trick? Or does everyone just have to manually pick the HD audio format each time they watch a blu-ray?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Can anyone else attest that the black bars are the format of the DVD 300? I still have a grainy picture with it though.

300 was shot at an aspect of 2.4:1, so the bars are normal. Only 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 will fill the 16 x 9 screen.

Go Duke !
Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

And the Black Bars on top and bottom are there because thats how the BD was made, some like it, some don't mind it. I think they SHOULD NOT have the Black Bars anymore, since High Def TV's in general are wide screen, but many Blu Ray Discs still are this way.

As someone with a 2.35 CIH set up, I sure hope they don't stop releasing movies in their OAR. In my set up, I don't get them because of a vertical stretch thrown through a lens.

Just my .02.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

300 is grainy intentionally as the director intended. Personally, he did it to hide all the CGI if you ask me.

Try something that is considered reference. What other movies do you have?

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 PM

I have none! Could you guys recommend a great reference movie for me to go check out so I can make sure my system is set up correct?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 PM

Here is a picture that I hadn't seen anyone take of the S350 yet. It is during a movie in the dark.

I took the pic for a couple reasons:
The good:
- I was expecting the horizontal "light bar" above the Blu-ray logo to be blue, but I was happy to see that it was actually white, matching the main display.
- You can't tell from the picture, but you can change the brightness of the display to Bright/Dark/Off, which includes this light bar.

The bad (but really not a big deal):
- It may not be obvious from the picture, but in my opinion the "HD" and "HDMI" text that lights up is way too close to the numbers on the display. If you try to read the numbers from a distance (I am about 10ft) it can harder sometimes. In the picture, from a distance I couldn't tell if it was 31:38 or 37:38 or ??:38. (Maybe I am just getting older. )
LL
Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have none! Could you guys recommend a great reference movie for me to go check out so I can make sure my system is set up correct?

Ratouille is good.

Yamaha RX-V663
Sony BDP-S350
Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantR View Post

I've watched 8 blu-rays on my S350 now, and it's still without any flaws or faults.

The only thing that's bugging me at this point is that it doesn't seem to want to or be able to be told to default the soundtrack to a high def format. On every single disk I have to fight my way through menus to select TrueHD or DTSMA or PCM.

Is there some option I haven't yet managed to find to tell the S350 to default to the HD formats, like how we can tell it which language to default to, or some other trick? Or does everyone just have to manually pick the HD audio format each time they watch a blu-ray?

Does the remote not have an audio select button that lets you select the audio format ''on-the-fly'' during playback??

You are damaging my calm... - Jayne Cobb
Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangner View Post

Ratouille is good.

Pirates of the Carribean is also good.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Try another Blu Ray Disc. And the Black Bars on top and bottom are there because thats how the BD was
made, some like it, some don't mind it. I think they SHOULD NOT have the Black Bars anymore, since High Def TV's in general are wide screen, but many Blu Ray Discs still are this way.

Not even sure where to start.

What would your suggestion be?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Not even sure where to start.

What would your suggestion be?

Check out the Blu-ray movie reviews over at High-Def Digest:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews_video.html

That link should have the reviews sorted my best video (5-star) reviews at the top. Also you can see what aspect ratio the movie is presented in. You'll see a lot at 2.35:1 and 2.4:1 which will give you some black bars. Fewer movies are using the 1.85:1 ratio which gives almost no black bars. Don't worry about not using your entire screen! It's how the director intended the movie be viewed! Just turn down the lights so the black disappears into the background and enjoy the movies!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post

That is incorrect. The S350 can decode Dolby TrueHD, and pass as PCM over HDMI. It just can't decode DTS-HD HR or DTS-HD MA. And, yes it can also bitstream all over HDMI.

Thanks for the correction...
Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 AM

I tried looking at the tv shots of people watching there blue-ray movies, It does not seem like there are any black bars on there TV. Do most people "zoom in" to fill up the screen?

I understand the theater aspect ratio is different than the DVD ratio and therefore the black bars. I guess I was just more taken back by them by the lack of video quality I saw in 300. I will try another movie at lunch and see if i have better results.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Unless the aspect ratio of the BD is around 1.85, you will have bars. (Most are around 2.35) There are a couple like Alvin and the Chipmonks that doesn't and I think the Bee Movie. The higher the # the bigger the bars are. I think Cars had about the biggest bars I have watched, around 2.40 I think.

Yamaha RX-V663
Sony BDP-S350
Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin-Man View Post

Does the remote not have an audio select button that lets you select the audio format ''on-the-fly'' during playback??

The remote does have an Audio button, and it has worked correctly to scroll through the formats on the movies I have tried.

If you have "Auto Display" set to 'Off' the audio format will still change, but there isn't any text on the screen to go with it. You need to press the Display button to see everything (including the current audio format).

The good thing about setting "Auto Display" to 'Off' is that you get rid of the Play and Pause logos in the lower left. I don't mind these coming up when I press the Play/Pause/etc button, but I didn't like it when it was going through the FBI warning, etc at the beginning... it must be automatically pausing on those, and then playing the next, with that icon each time.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

by the lack of video quality I saw in 300. I will try another movie at lunch and see if i have better results.

The video on the movie 300[BR] is not a good choice to show off your Sony 350. The look of this movie is deliberately "bad". Check out this thread for some suggestions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

I hope this helps!

Larry
Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a good article about the different aspect ratios, what to expect, and why.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764

For ideas on movies to try, use these AVS threads (in the "Blu-ray Software" area).
The first post of each includes many movies all grouped into tiers.
Video Quality: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
Audio Quality: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=918734

I perconally picked Ratatouille for my first Blu-ray purchase because it is in the highest tier of both lists, and I didn't own it, even on DVD.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Awesome you guys have been a big help. I def will pick one of those up and hopefully see how great it looks!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 AM

Well, I just ordered my Sony 350. You guys better be right.

brad

end of transmission.......
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM

Man I can not take it no more reading about this player so I ordered one today! I have a PS3 but it is too noisy and it do not bit stream. I know half the people on this site has a ps3 and a 350! or is it just me and I need to give one up!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlraglin View Post

Man I can not take it no more reading about this player so I ordered one today! I have a PS3 but it is too noisy and it do not bit stream. I know half the people on this site has a ps3 and a 350! or is it just me and I need to give one up!!!

I ordered my S350 two days ago after being influenced by a great ebay deal. I was just researching trading in or selling my PS3 but I actually may keep it and put it in my bedroom where is can sit vertically and not be in a cabinet and hopefully be quiet. I will probably give it a trial run in there and see how it behaves. I figure my IR2BT and upconverting DVD player will help offset the new player.

This would also resolve the issue of my ever-expanding blu-ray collection not being playable in the only other place that I watch movies.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorsk02 View Post

I ordered my S350 two days ago after being influenced by a great ebay deal. I was just researching trading in or selling my PS3 but I actually may keep it and put it in my bedroom where is can sit vertically and not be in a cabinet and hopefully be quiet. I will probably give it a trial run in there and see how it behaves. I figure my IR2BT and upconverting DVD player will help offset the new player.

This would also resolve the issue of my ever-expanding blu-ray collection not being playable in the only other place that I watch movies.

Seems other people bought them up.. the seller had 3 left when I bought mine, now none!.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com