The Official Sony BDP-S350 Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

A review of the Sony BDP-S350 had indicated that the player's Ethernet connection does not readily find and establish an IP address, making it difficult to do downloads. Has anyone here found that to be the case? I'm getting mine tomorrow and hoping to be able to just plug in the Ethernet cable and download the latest firmware.

As pointed out in previous posts, the S350 is set up by default to do DHCP. That means your cable/DSL modem/NAT box needs to be configured correctly. It must have DHCP configured, and enabled, and it must have the DNS configured as well. Then the S350 will be able to get the configuration info.

I had mine turned off until I got the S350, as each of my computers are assigned a static IP. I also needed it because of the work laptop, which I didn't want to reconfigure for a static IP.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mrvideo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,394
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryis1 View Post

I plan to use the BR Player with an Onkyo 705 AVR. Any views on which of the two players would be better for me? I want a player than can also do good upconvert from legacy DVDs. Panny BD-30 or Sony 350?

Best Regards,
Larry

The S350 by far.

DavidHir is offline  
post #1263 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
benjosevilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

As pointed out in previous posts, the S350 is set up by default to do DHCP. That means your cable/DSL modem/NAT box needs to be configured correctly. It must have DHCP configured, and enabled, and it must have the DNS configured as well. Then the S350 will be able to get the configuration info.

I had mine turned off until I got the S350, as each of my computers are assigned a static IP. I also needed it because of the work laptop, which I didn't want to reconfigure for a static IP.

The DHCP on the router/cable box/NAT box is not a requirement but a recommendation to allow the out of the box plug and play network connection. You can configure static IP entries on the S350. You just need to make sure you enter the IP config information correctly and completely.
benjosevilla is offline  
post #1264 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stephenC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Internet
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post

Can anyone comment on this?

I've tried copying various movies from my collection using DVDShrink or converting files using ConvertXtoDVD and then burning to DVD-RW and DVD+RW, but none works.

You sound experienced with regards to burning DVD discs, so please don't take this the wrong way. Did you finalize your discs? Just a suggestion and probably not your issue, but I did want to throw it out there.
stephenC is offline  
post #1265 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
N.B. Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post

Has anyone else had any problems playing DVD±RWs? I've burned several Memorex DVD+RWs and Sony DVD-RWs, but none would play. They work in my Oppo 980, though, and all of the literature says that this player supports DVD±RW media, so there shouldn't be a problem.

hypnos -

Did you record your discs in the Video or VR mode? I believe this can make a difference because awhile back I took a Sony -RWdisc that I recorded using my Pioneer 520h recorder in the VR mode to CC with me and it wouldn't play on the Sony s300 on display. However, it did play on a Samsung on display. I went back and switched the mode to Video, returned to CC, and this time the disc played on the Sony.
N.B. Forrest is offline  
post #1266 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
benjosevilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, on my conversation with Sony support on the lack of frame by frame advance of the S350.

Problem: How come there is no frame by frame advance on this unit? I own 3 other Sony DVD players and all of have a frame by frame advance after pause. End Session user benjamin has entered room

analyst Gavin_ has entered room

Gavin_> Hi Benjamin. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Gavin. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Gavin_> Thank you for waiting, Benjamin. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing with the Blu-ray Disc Player, as the frame by frame advance option is not available on the player. I'll be glad to assist you with this.

benjamin > How come it is not. It has always been available on lesser DVD players

benjamin > Will the feature be available through firmware update?

Gavin_> Benjamin, I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Gavin_> I'm sorry to inform you that this Blue-Ray disc player does not features the Frame by Frame advance feature.
Gavin_> The Frame by Frame feature is available only in some of the Sony DVD players.
Gavin_> The Frame by Frame feature is available only in some of the Sony DVD players.
benjamin > that is too bad.
benjamin > the bd should have the older features of the dvd player
Gavin_> Benjamin, I'm really sorry for the difficulties you are put through in this regard.
benjamin > please forward to the engineers
Gavin_> Sure, Benjamin. I will inform our Engeneers about this issue.
benjosevilla is offline  
post #1267 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dawgdaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Huntington Woods MI
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

FYI, on my conversation with Sony support on the lack of frame by frame advance of the S350.

Problem: How come there is no frame by frame advance on this unit? I own 3 other Sony DVD players and all of have a frame by frame advance after pause. End Session user benjamin has entered room

analyst Gavin_ has entered room

Gavin_> Hi Benjamin. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Gavin. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Gavin_> Thank you for waiting, Benjamin. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing with the Blu-ray Disc Player, as the frame by frame advance option is not available on the player. I'll be glad to assist you with this.

benjamin > How come it is not. It has always been available on lesser DVD players

benjamin > Will the feature be available through firmware update?

Gavin_> Benjamin, I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Gavin_> I'm sorry to inform you that this Blue-Ray disc player does not features the Frame by Frame advance feature.
Gavin_> The Frame by Frame feature is available only in some of the Sony DVD players.
Gavin_> The Frame by Frame feature is available only in some of the Sony DVD players.
benjamin > that is too bad.
benjamin > the bd should have the older features of the dvd player
Gavin_> Benjamin, I'm really sorry for the difficulties you are put through in this regard.
benjamin > please forward to the engineers
Gavin_> Sure, Benjamin. I will inform our Engeneers about this issue.

Could they figure out a way to do the following:

1. S350 remote should have the ability to control the volume on a Sony Amp.

2. Pressing play on S350 remote should be able to close the DVD tray and start the BD. Why does this take two steps?

3. Why do I always have to start movies from the begining after pressing stop?
Dawgdaes is online now  
post #1268 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got an audio question that I'm not 100% sure about.

I've got the 350 and have a Pioneer 1014TK receiver (NO HDMI). I have the video going straight to my TV with HDMI and am using a digital coax for the sound. Since the S350 will decode Dolby True HD internally, will it send it over the digital coax (or optical for that matter)?

If it won't (which is what I *think* I understand to be the case), what settings should I use for optimal sound?

I've got "Audio Output Priority" to "Coax/Optical"

Audio (HDMI) set to "Auto" (doesn't matter in my case, right?)

BD Audio Setting set to "Mix" right now.

Dolby Digital set to "Dolby Digital"

DTS set to "DTS"

48kHz/96kHz PCM set to "96kHz/24bit"

Audio DRC set to "Wide Range"

Is that right, or am I shortchanging myself somewhere?
Vader is offline  
post #1269 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

The DHCP on the router/cable box/NAT box is not a requirement but a recommendation to allow the out of the box plug and play network connection. You can configure static IP entries on the S350. You just need to make sure you enter the IP config information correctly and completely.

Don't get. me wrong, I fully agree with you. But talking about plug-n-play right out of the box, your internal network must be configured correctly, or it ain't gonna happen.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mrvideo is offline  
post #1270 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Member
 
beckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Don't get. me wrong, I fully agree with you. But talking about plug-n-play right out of the box, your internal network must be configured correctly, or it ain't gonna happen.

Right but how many users know what static IP's are, what DNS is, what the default gateway means, what 255.255.255.0 means ....I bet 99% or greater use DHCP at home
beckp is offline  
post #1271 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Allan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My S350 is in my bedroom along with two Tivo S3's. All three are connected to a simple switch which goes to my BEF-SR81 router (all 8 ports were full, hence the switch). As soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable the S350 recognized the network. I then configured it with a static IP address with no problem.

Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allan2 is offline  
post #1272 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you all experienced any audio drops with the Spider-Man Trilogy on Blu Ray, more specifically Spider-Man 2.1? How bout Rambo 4? I know some folks were complaining of the audio drops when these movies were played on the Samsung 1500, don't know if the Sony S350 has the same problem? I know I read somewhere where people blamed the disc.
Audio5oh is offline  
post #1273 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kriktsemaj99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 5,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

FYI, on my conversation with Sony support on the lack of frame by frame advance of the S350.

Problem: How come there is no frame by frame advance on this unit? I own 3 other Sony DVD players and all of have a frame by frame advance after pause. End Session user benjamin has entered room

analyst Gavin_ has entered room

Gavin_> Hi Benjamin. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Gavin. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Gavin_> Thank you for waiting, Benjamin. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing with the Blu-ray Disc Player, as the frame by frame advance option is not available on the player. I'll be glad to assist you with this.

benjamin > How come it is not. It has always been available on lesser DVD players

benjamin > Will the feature be available through firmware update?

Gavin_> Benjamin, I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Gavin_> I'm sorry to inform you that this Blue-Ray disc player does not features the Frame by Frame advance feature.
Gavin_> The Frame by Frame feature is available only in some of the Sony DVD players.
Gavin_> The Frame by Frame feature is available only in some of the Sony DVD players.
benjamin > that is too bad.
benjamin > the bd should have the older features of the dvd player
Gavin_> Benjamin, I'm really sorry for the difficulties you are put through in this regard.
benjamin > please forward to the engineers
Gavin_> Sure, Benjamin. I will inform our Engeneers about this issue.

"Gavin" sounds like a computer bot, and probably couldn't pass the Turing test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test).
kriktsemaj99 is online now  
post #1274 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stephenC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Internet
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure about the computer bot for Gavin. Would a computer bot mispell engineer? I guess you could make all sorts of Dilbert-like jokes about that.
stephenC is offline  
post #1275 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Member
 
Gilliper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjerina View Post

I am going to get the S350 from Amazon and was wondering if I will need to update the firmware on the unit. How can I tell and how to do it?

Update:

I just went to a Sony site and saw their firmware 007 download that is available. It provides the following.

This utility updates the BDP-S350 firmware to version 007, and provides the following benefits:

Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.
Improves sensitivity to the Remote Commander® signal while the player is in stand-by mode.

Doesn't seem to be a critical update my player needs. Any opinions?


I'm sticking to my quote of a few days ago....if your 350 ain't broke, don't fix it. Upgrades may help, but they may hurt. If yours is working perfectly as mine is, I'm not about to touch that damm 'upgrade' button.
Gilliper is offline  
post #1276 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Member
 
hypnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: AR
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

You sound experienced with regards to burning DVD discs, so please don't take this the wrong way. Did you finalize your discs?

DVD-Video discs do not permit multi-session, only data discs permit multi-session. Therefore, all of the discs have been "finalized" to prevent further writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post

hypnos -
Did you record your discs in the Video or VR mode?

I used my PC to burn the discs, not a DVD recorder.

I have no problem when I burn the exact same content to a DVD±R. I only have a problem playing +RWs and -RWs. The discs play fine in my PC, laptop, and Oppo 980, so it must be an issue with the S350.
hypnos is offline  
post #1277 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Urlacher5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can this player play DivX discs? Someone is sending me all the X-Files seasons. I'm hoping I won't need to keep my dvd player around.
Urlacher5454 is offline  
post #1278 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

I bet 99% or greater use DHCP at home

Most definately. Hopefully the ISP supplying the connection has set up the Cable/DSL modem/nat box for DHCP, etc., otherwise the S350 ain't gonna get connected to the outside world. Odds are that the box is, since the PeeCee and/or laptop isn't going to get connected to the outside either

I don't know of anyone that is actually using a static IP on their laptop. Because of that, it surprises me when some have said that ther S350 didn't connect correctly with their home network.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mrvideo is offline  
post #1279 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Member
 
adrian457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Have you all experienced any audio drops with the Spider-Man Trilogy on Blu Ray, more specifically Spider-Man 2.1? How bout Rambo 4? I know some folks were complaining of the audio drops when these movies were played on the Samsung 1500, don't know if the Sony S350 has the same problem? I know I read somewhere where people blamed the disc.

If you read my post in the Samsung 1500 thread if it's still there. I had drops with Spider-Man 2.1 on the Sammy. No drops on the Sony using the same disc. It's definately a Sammy problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1461
adrian457 is offline  
post #1280 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post

I have no problem when I burn the exact same content to a DVD±R. I only have a problem playing +RWs and -RWs. The discs play fine in my PC, laptop, and Oppo 980, so it must be an issue with the S350.

See page 59 of the manual (top right).

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mrvideo is offline  
post #1281 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

Can this player play DivX discs? Someone is sending me all the X-Files seasons. I'm hoping I won't need to keep my dvd player around.

No.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mrvideo is offline  
post #1282 of 6745 Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Audio5oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian457 View Post

If you read my post in the Samsung 1500 thread if it's still there. I had drops with Spider-Man 2.1 on the Sammy. No drops on the Sony using the same disc. It's definately a Sammy problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1461

Thanks, I recently ordered the trilogy.
Audio5oh is offline  
post #1283 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Member
 
hypnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: AR
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

See page 59 of the manual (top right).

Are you referring to this part?

Quote:
Notes about BD-REs/BD-Rs, DVD+RWs/DVD+Rs, DVD-RWs/DVD-Rs, or CD-Rs/CD-RWs
Some BD-REs/BD-Rs, DVD+RWs/DVD+Rs, DVD-RWs/DVD-Rs, or CD-Rs/CD-RWs cannot be played on this player due to the recording quality or physical condition of the disc, or the characteristics of the recording device and authoring software.
A DVD disc will not play if it has not been correctly finalized. For more information, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the recording device. Note that some playback functions may not work with some DVD+RWs/DVD+Rs, even if they have been correctly finalized. In this case, view the disc using normal playback.

If others have been playing back DVD±RWs successfully on their players, I'd like to know what recording/authoring programs they've been using, because I don't understand why the discs would play on everything else I have capable of playback, except for the S350.
hypnos is offline  
post #1284 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post

Are you referring to this part?

Yep

Quote:


If others have been playing back DVD±RWs successfully on their players, I'd like to know what recording/authoring programs they've been using, because I don't understand why the discs would play on everything else I have capable of playback, except for the S350.

That is a good question. The point is that Sony is not claiming that it will play every RW burned piece of media. I personally haven't tried to play any burned media yet. I have some really out-of-date RW x1 media that I'm going to try and see what happens.

It definitely sucks that the user doesn't have a clue as to if what they have is going to work or not.

As to the authoring portion of the disclaimer, I'm trying to figure out what the hell that has to do with it. Oh wait, they include Rs in that statement as well, the authoring software might create a DVD that is not fully compliant with the DVD Video spec. In that case it won't be the media itself that it has a problem with. The DVD authoring package I use is a professional package, so that should eliminate that factor.

If the authored DVD+/-RW doesn't play, I'd burn it onto a piece of +/-R media to see if the player doesn't like the authoring layout or the media.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mrvideo is offline  
post #1285 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Donnie Eldridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post

I've got an audio question that I'm not 100% sure about.

I've got the 350 and have a Pioneer 1014TK receiver (NO HDMI). I have the video going straight to my TV with HDMI and am using a digital coax for the sound. Since the S350 will decode Dolby True HD internally, will it send it over the digital coax (or optical for that matter)?

Neither. The best you will get is DD @640kbps.
Donnie Eldridge is offline  
post #1286 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Member
 
hypnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: AR
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mrvideo, that's where the confusion lies: I can burn to a DVD±R, and those will play fine. When I burn to a ±RW, the player gives me an "unknown" as the disc format. Data ±RWs will be properly identified as "DVD+RW" or "DVD-RW," but so far any video DVD±RW with the proper AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directory structure and VOB/IFO files is unplayable.

I am using Nero 6.5 and DeepBurner Pro 1.9 (30-day trial).

Since this player neither supports DivX video nor playback from USB, I have to convert any video to MPEG2 as a standards-compliant DVD. I'd rather not waste a DVD-R when I could use a rewritable disc
hypnos is offline  
post #1287 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
darthemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post

mrvideo, that's where the confusion lies: I can burn to a DVD±R, and those will play fine. When I burn to a ±RW, the player gives me an "unknown" as the disc format. Data ±RWs will be properly identified as "DVD+RW" or "DVD-RW," but so far any video DVD±RW with the proper AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directory structure and VOB/IFO files is unplayable.

I am using Nero 6.5 and DeepBurner Pro 1.9 (30-day trial).

Since this player neither supports DivX video nor playback from USB, I have to convert any video to MPEG2 as a standards-compliant DVD. I'd rather not waste a DVD-R when I could use a rewritable disc

This is why I have an Oppo 981H also connected to my TV. IMHO, the Oppo has features that make it the best option for playing standard def dvds: it upscales better than the sony blu ray player, it plays divx, it plays file off a thumb drive, it plays any disc I put in it (except blu ray of course), it'll play PAL discs (hubby is from Europe), and it is easy to make it region free.

I really love the S350 for it's blu ray playback, but I'm not giving up my Oppo!
darthemma is offline  
post #1288 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post

mrvideo, that's where the confusion lies: I can burn to a DVD±R, and those will play fine. When I burn to a ±RW, the player gives me an "unknown" as the disc format. Data ±RWs will be properly identified as "DVD+RW" or "DVD-RW," but so far any video DVD±RW with the proper AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directory structure and VOB/IFO files is unplayable.

The AUDIO_TS directory doesn't really need to be there. As for the VIDEO_TS directory structure, just because you have all of the required files in the directory, doesn't mean that it will play. In the DVD world, they actually have to laid down on the DVD is a particular order. Computer software that plays back VIDEO_TS directories could care less, since it is impossible to be laid down in that order One would think that the newer Blu-ray players would not care about physical layout either, as they should have a better handle, e.g., more compute power, on directory structures. That said, because the player is able to understand the layout when burned onto a piece of R media, one would think that it would also work with RW media. I wonder if it just doesn't like your brand of RW media.

Quote:


I am using Nero 6.5 and DeepBurner Pro 1.9 (30-day trial).

I think Nero is up to version 8. I've been burning with version 7. There was nothing new in 8 that I wanted. Nero 6.5 will burn DVD-Video discs, and it knows the correct order in which to lay down the files. Why are you using a different burning package when Nero will do it?

Quote:


Since this player neither supports DivX video nor playback from USB, I have to convert any video to MPEG2 as a standards-compliant DVD. I'd rather not waste a DVD-R when I could use a rewritable disc

Makes perfect sense to want to use RW media. I'll have to see what happens with the old RW media that I have later on tonight. I will be out shooting a play rehearsal tonight (stills), so I can't do anything until I get back after that.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mrvideo is offline  
post #1289 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Member
 
hypnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: AR
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

One would think that the newer Blu-ray players would not care about physical layout either, as they should have a better handle, e.g., more compute power, on directory structures.

One would think that, but I have noticed that the most inexpensive players will play just about anything that's put in the drive, whereas the big-name or "videophile" players tend to not play anything other than standard DVDs. The older Denon DVD players I've had have been horrible with burned media, so I was forced to get something from BB until the Oppos came into existence.

Quote:


That said, because the player is able to understand the layout when burned onto a piece of R media, one would think that it would also work with RW media. I wonder if it just doesn't like your brand of RW media.

I've tried Memorex and Sony media. I'll see if I can find some discs from other manufacturers to determine if the media are the cause. I'll check the media codes to see who actually manufactures those discs, also.

Quote:


Why are you using a different burning package when Nero will do it?

I wanted to eliminate the possibility of Nero 6.5 being the problem, so that I could justify the expense of an update.

Quote:


Makes perfect sense to want to use RW media. I'll have to see what happens with the old RW media that I have later on tonight. I will be out shooting a play rehearsal tonight (stills), so I can't do anything until I get back after that.

Thanks. If you and others can't get RWs to work, then I'll just keep my Oppo, but one player is easier for the less tech savvy.
hypnos is offline  
post #1290 of 6745 Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Allan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthemma View Post

This is why I have an Oppo 981H also connected to my TV. IMHO, the Oppo has features that make it the best option for playing standard def dvds: it upscales better than the sony blu ray player, it plays divx, it plays file off a thumb drive, it plays any disc I put in it (except blu ray of course), it'll play PAL discs (hubby is from Europe), and it is easy to make it region free.

I really love the S350 for it's blu ray playback, but I'm not giving up my Oppo!

I also have an Oppo 981HD and I am so pleased with the upscaling quality of the S350 that I moved the Oppo to another room. In my opinion the quality is almost identical. In fact, on come SD DVD's I feel the Sony is better.

Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allan2 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off