post #181 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

Even if you decide to buy the Sony USB drive it's under $20. What's the big deal?

Gee! Does that price include their infamous "root kit" DRM technology to screw up any PC you happen to plug it into?

I only ask because some of us don't trust *ANY* Sony storage devices any more after that Sony/BMG CD fiasco a few years back..... (How quickly people forget.)

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I guess you missed my point. I am just baffled why Sony did not include enough onboard memory to at least support 1.1. As I mentioned, even the lowest price Funai branded players have enough onboard memory. This just seems very cheap from Sony in general, and especially for a player that is currently retailing for $399. And from other posts in this thread, not any old flash drive will work. And I am not a Sony hater. I really enjoy my PS3 and have told quite a few people to wait for this player before buying over the past month or two and now I feel like an ass. We have Panasonic requiring people to buy extra memory on their BD50 player (which costs $699) to enjoy 2.0 features and now Sony is requiring folks to buy additional memory to watch 1.1 content. I love Blu-Ray but the BDA needs to stop cutting corners. My expectation is that if somebody pays $399 for a Sony branded Blu-Ray player right now, it should work out of the box with regards to advertised features....

There is a possibility the information in the manual is wrong. Hopefully owners can test if profile 1.1 stuff works without USB flash memory plug-in.
post #183 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

There is a possibility the information in the manual is wrong. Hopefully owners can test if profile 1.1 stuff works without USB flash memory plug-in.

Good point. Can somebody check this?
post #184 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I was under the impression that USB memory was only needed for profile 2.0 (BD Live).
post #185 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

I was under the impression that USB memory was only needed for profile 2.0 (BD Live).

Not according to the manual.
post #186 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Gee! Does that price include their infamous "root kit" DRM technology to screw up any PC you happen to plug it into?

I only ask because some of us don't trust *ANY* Sony storage devices any more after that Sony/BMG CD fiasco a few years back..... (How quickly people forget.)

--Bob

Are you planning on plugging it into a PC or the DVD? And btw, I've been using Microvaults for years and never had a problem. But let's not clog up this thread with nonsense, shall we?

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #187 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangner View Post

I didn't notice it last night and I used it several times going back and forth switching the audio. I'll play around with it again tonight.

Thanks, please keep me updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Now the 1.1 features are the Picture In Picture In-Movie Experience right? Like on Batman Begins and V For Vendetta?

Like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/AmznFlashPl...ObjectId=68403

Then...

The 1.1 features on my 350 and it works great out of the box, I haven't purchase a memory stick for it either.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #188 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER View Post

Thanks, please keep me updated.

Now the 1.1 features are the Picture In Picture In-Movie Experience right? Like on Batman Begins and V For Vendetta?

Like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/AmznFlashPl...ObjectId=68403

Then...

The 1.1 features on my 350 and it works great out of the box, I haven't purchase a memory stick for it either.

Thanks! So it sounds like the manual is wrong if you are able to play 1.1 features without the need of additional memory. Please excuse my previous rant. Sony, please update your manual (I think they meant BD Live).
post #189 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

What is your model of HDTV?

It is a Toshiba 56" RPTV (1080i) I believe 57H83. It is at least 5 years old and has DVI not HDMI. I have everything going HDMI to the Elite 94, and then out going to an HDMI to DVI cable to the TV.
post #190 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

--Bob

LOL, I was wondering if someone would bring this up. Kind of makes me leery of having sony equipment on my network.

Quote:

Are you planning on plugging it into a PC or the DVD? And btw, I've been using Microvaults for years and never had a problem. But let's not clog up this thread with nonsense, shall we?

Even if you don't plug it into your PC, if the player is on your netowrk the possibility is there.
post #191 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks! So it sounds like the manual is wrong if you are able to play 1.1 features without the need of additional memory. Please excuse my previous rant. Sony, please update your manual (I think they meant BD Live).

I think so too.

My PIP features works great without any memory stick plugged in the back, I only tried it on V For Vendetta and Batman Begins but both work as they should.

The only problem I get is the chugging/flickering during the pop-up menu navigation on those two films.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
post #192 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got mine yesterday and setup was pretty straightforward.
I've set it to "Quick Start" and I think from powerup (actually coming out of standby) to disc starting was all of thirty seconds. Plenty fine by me.

The menu looks and acts a lot like the PS3, as does the sound it makes when changing tracks. No fan noise problem that I was aware of.

I did some checks off the Joe Kane HiDef setup disc. Adjusted color just a bit different from the PS3 settings, then watched the Montage, which looked stellar. We also watched "I, Robot" on Blu-Ray last night and both the sound (DTS 5.1 Master Audio via Pioneer TXH94 receiver) and picture quality were outstanding. We use a Sony Black Pearl on a 118" Carada 1.4 screen.

Auto function seems to work fine, changing from 24fps to 60fps as needed. Wished my HDDVD player did.

I need to play with it more, but standard DVD looked okay, but seems to still be bettered by my Toshiba HD-A1 player. That's with both units doing the dirty work; haven't had a chance to play with letting the projector upscale yet.

I don't care about Bonus View, and don't need any commentary over viewing. I'll check it out to see how it sounds with CD just for fun, but I have a dedicated setup for that already.

This one's a keeper for me and my son gets a PS3 for free.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #193 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

Even if you don't plug it into your PC, if the player is on your netowrk the possibility is there.

Please.

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #194 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I am normally a very early adopter of new HT technology. I have been eagerly awaiting the Sony BD350. I have a Sony 1080P projector beaming onto a Hi-Power 120"

I am reading all these issues of memory, sandisk card requirments and then the fact that they won't fit the machine, which way the player outputs the myriad of audio formats, etc. etc.

It leaves me confused and sitting on the fence and just makes me think that as a format Blu ray is going to have real issues unless they learn something from Apple and make the technology more user friendly.

I have already been burned by HD DVD

Can any owners reassure me that this is a relatively simple machine that does the two things I require

1) Plays discs beautifully in 1080P
2) Provides DTS and DD overan optical ouput to my non HDMI HT control amp

Many thanks
Rob
post #195 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I agree that the manual is misleading. Is it possible that they really meant that you can get more out of some of the features by adding additional memory beyond the minimum that is included in the player?

If so, I think this is a good feature, so I am not stuck with just what memory the player included (independant of how much they included in the player)
post #196 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

--Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

LOL, I was wondering if someone would bring this up. Kind of makes me leery of having sony equipment on my network.

Do either of you have a PS3 connected to your network?

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
post #197 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

post #198 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post

It is NOT necessary to buy a Sony USB Flash drive. It just needs to be small enough (or the proper shape) to fit the port.

My guess would be that they tucked the connection back into the machine a bit so that it wouldn't get bumped/damaged as easily (which I think is a good thing), NOT to force you to buy their memory device.

Sony could have put the USB port on the front if that is what they were concerned about. Shoot. They should have used a multi-card port like my IBM notebook has.
post #199 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post

ThankĀ“s for the pictures, but can somebody take any with the open tray? Has the S350 a sliding panel like the S500/2000ES or not?

what pictures?
post #200 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Please.

Your sarcasm might come to haunt you (or at least it shows that you don't think carefully). In a very high-profile case of consumer uproar, Best Buy recently found that their Insignia digital photo frames were spreading lethal viruses to computers:

Infection alert: Insignia 10.4-inch photo frame kindly bundled with trojan
post #201 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered this one and will give a try when I receive my S350. That is as to whether it will fit. Whether it will work when BD Live is enabled, who knows.
post #202 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 PM

OK, I'll go buy one of Sony's Micro Vault Tiny "USB" flash drives. The question is what size? 1GB minimum but they also come in 2GB and 4GB. Would 4GB just allow me to keep more data without removing old stuff? Any other benefits?

Is there a consensus among the owners?
post #203 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a samsung 1500 that does not require a memory stick to play bonusview I think that the s350 does not need it also, Based on some of you who has the manual for it clearly states that Sony is trying to let you buy sony memory stick to access bonus view, they think they can outsmart you by buying the stuff without doing research I think they are doing this just to market their product. It is all marketing. I am glad you guys don't need it for bonus view.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #204 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey100 View Post

what pictures?

The ones from post 86.
post #205 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLatte View Post

OK, I'll go buy one of Sony's Micro Vault Tiny "USB" flash drives. The question is what size? 1GB minimum but they also come in 2GB and 4GB. Would 4GB just allow me to keep more data without removing old stuff? Any other benefits?

Is there a consensus among the owners?

I have the same question, and I am thinking that 4GB (or at least 2GB) would allow me to store much more, and be better for the future.

But before I buy a larger flash drive I am going to wait for someone to say that the player for sure uses the entire memory space of the flash drive. It is possible (speculation only) that they just use the first 1GB even if the drive is larger... it wouldn't be the first time a company would do something like this.
post #206 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Even if you decide to buy the Sony USB drive it's under $20. What's the big deal?

It's not a big deal; however, if you own several good quality USB drives already like I do (2GB - 8 GB), why should I have to spend more $$? Sony has never been in compliance when it comes to memory form-factor. Look what they did with the camera industry and memory stick. Professional DSLR cameras don't bother using memory stick, only select consumer cameras.
post #207 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I guess you missed my point. I am just baffled why Sony did not include enough onboard memory to at least support 1.1. As I mentioned, even the lowest price Funai branded players have enough onboard memory. This just seems very cheap from Sony in general, and especially for a player that is currently retailing for $399. And from other posts in this thread, not any old flash drive will work. And I am not a Sony hater. I really enjoy my PS3 and have told quite a few people to wait for this player before buying over the past month or two and now I feel like an ass. We have Panasonic requiring people to buy extra memory on their BD50 player (which costs $699) to enjoy 2.0 features and now Sony is requiring folks to buy additional memory to watch 1.1 content. I love Blu-Ray but the BDA needs to stop cutting corners. My expectation is that if somebody pays $399 for a Sony branded Blu-Ray player right now, it should work out of the box with regards to advertised features....

I really agree, I am waiting on the 550 hoping it will do everything out of the box without any attachments, firmware upgrades, etc. Hopefully it will be only be $100 more than the 350. I think the major manufacturers are trying to keep the price down since they are now competing with lesser brand names and this is the only way they can cut the price.
post #208 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace View Post

Do either of you have a PS3 connected to your network?

I do. Along with firewalls protecting the other devices!

I'm waiting for the first alert that the PS3 is trying to place something on the other computers so I can sue Sony and use the money to upgrade my home theater....

-------------------------------------------

Back on topic, the thing that's puzzling is WHY the manufacturers would require people to use add-on memory for BD-LIVE. The parts cost for them to have built the equivalent amount of slow speed memory into the unit is trivial. Most of that $20 retail cost for a USB thumb drive covers packaging, marketing, retail store markup and inventory costs for a separate SKU. The parts cost itself is tiny and building it in would also eliminate the added assembly cost.

If we were talking about older designs being upgraded to BD-LIVE that would be one thing. But these are new units.

So far I haven't seen any suggestion that there's end-user advantage to using removable storage for this -- i.e., moving BD-LIVE stuff from one machine to another for example.

It's a mystery.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #209 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

I ordered this one and will give a try when I receive my S350. That is as to whether it will fit. Whether it will work when BD Live is enabled, who knows.

Let us know, I'll be interested to see if it works.
post #210 of 6745 Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

People,

No need to buy the USB memory stick NOW because Sony hasn't released the firmware that makes the S350 BD-Live complaint. Even if you plug in the USB memory you still won't be able to access BD-Live features. Wait until Sony releases the firmware then worry about what memory to buy. Just my 2 cents.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page