Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player - Page 119 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3541 of 3625 Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

I certainly can empathize and agree with you regarding the aggravation we have had to endure for the money we spent. I hope you do get resolution to your problem. Let us know what Denon determines the problem to be.

Hi Mt, i have the unit in for repair and after telling them of the fault, they are putting in a new drive. They will test it with a new drive and go from there.I should have a proper discription of the answer to the problem soon. I will keep you informed. Mine is under warranty, so i told them to throw everything at it. (hehe) Hopefully i can get to the bottom of why my discs are not playing and being read properly. As soon as i get the player back i will throw "Total Recall" in the machine and hopefully have an answer to that movie problem.It will realistically be around 2 weeks i would say, but i will keep you posted.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3625 Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, for the update. It's a good thing it's under warranty because the cost to replace the bluray drive is not cheap as I recently had mine replaced. I attribute my current problems since they only happen with the blockbuster rentals to dirty disc's as it plays all the disc's I own with no problems. The player is a bit finicky though since my Denon 3800BDCI that I moved to the bedroom plays all the bd disc's that freeze in my A1. Since I am thinking about getting another universal bd player I called Marantz customer service about some questions on there newest player the UD-7007 I asked them if the the audio would be on par with the A1, specifically 2-channel with the balanced analog outs, and they were honest and said that the A1 was very close to there Flagship player the UD-9004 with a few minor differences and they said they did not think it would sound as good as the A1. So I have decided to just get an inexpensive player for bluray disc's and streaming and use the A1 for my music disc's.
post #3543 of 3625 Old 06-01-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I am trying hard to get the correct understanding of the "Source Direct" option under Audio Setup in the manual. The manual reads: (page 29 on the online manual)
SOURCE DIRECT OFF = Enable the speaker and subwoofer settings
SOURCE DIRECT ON 50 kHz or 100kHz = Output the disc content as is. When playing super audio cd output up to 50 kHz or 100 kHz audio signals. My First question: Since "Source Direct' off enables the speaker and subwoofer settings does that mean that “Source Direct” on would disable the speaker and subwoofer settings in the A1?
It further goes on to read in a separate note: Setting of “On” 50 or 100 kHz enables full range playback on all channels recommended for DTS. (Note that this results in a 5 dB increase in subwoofer volume and 15dB increase with super audio cd) This also allows you to playback the 6 channel source of dvd audio recorded on all channels with full frequency range. In this case make an analog connection according to the disc operating manual.
Than it also says, when set to on with either 50 or 100kHz all speaker sizes are set to “large” and “yes” is set for the subwoofer also “Channel Level” and “Distance” settings are available.
Second question does the “Source Direct” option only function with the Analog connections or does it also come into play when going the HDMI connection for the audio? Third question: Does "Source Direct" only come into play with SACD and DVD-A or does it also come into play with bluray? I would greatly appreciate if anybody could shed some light on my confusion.

Question 1 - Sort of, Source Direct On will not disable the speaker distances and levels, you should notice that they are active and adjustable, it does like you mention from the manual lock off the speaker size and subwoofer options to ensure no bass management is being applied from the main channels because bass management operates in the digital domain and that the .1 channel is open.

Question 2 - Yes, Source Direct is an analog function designed to get the most out of the high-end DACs. Correction, I was going off of memory on this. I just finished playing around with the settings in the menu and it definitely appears that Source Direct affects both HDMI and analog. For example if you have Source Direct set to on and HDMI audio is set to mute when in the 7.1 menu you can not get into the menu that allows you to set crossovers. If you go into the HDMI audio menu and switch that from mute to multichannel with BM (i.e. bass management) you will see that like with the 7.1 option you can not set the speaker crossover. If you turn Source Direct off you can adjust crossovers for both 7.1 and HDMI just not at the same time because the player can only be configured for either HDMI audio or 7.1 audio, not both at the same time.

Question 3 - Source Direct is global in nature, it doesn't care what the disc is, it just configures the player for the best possible output of the audio signals so this does apply to Blu-ray and why I use this setting exclusively to get the best out of CD, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray audio.

post #3544 of 3625 Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would think you would select the "Mute" option in the HDMI Setup menu under audio setup. Of course you can still disengage the HDMI with the "Pure Direct" button on the remote control for CD, SACD & DVD-A's if you don't need to see the video for DVD-A which I would imagine would be the same as muting the HDMI in the setup menu.

Looking at my value it's at 2 channel which makes sense because the HDMI cable goes directly into my tv and that is only stereo. Correction, I didn't read the display properly, my HDMI is set on mute in order to allow me to use the 7.1 analog outputs.

post #3545 of 3625 Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Question 1 - Sort of, Source Direct On will not disable the speaker distances and levels, you should notice that they are active and adjustable, it does like you mention from the manual lock off the speaker size and subwoofer options to ensure no bass management is being applied from the main channels because bass management operates in the digital domain and that the .1 channel is open.

Question 2 - Yes, Source Direct is an analog function designed to get the most out of the high-end DACs. Correction, I was going off of memory on this. I just finished playing around with the settings in the menu and it definitely appears that Source Direct affects both HDMI and analog. For example if you have Source Direct set to on and HDMI audio is set to mute when in the 7.1 menu you can not get into the menu that allows you to set crossovers. If you go into the HDMI audio menu and switch that from mute to multichannel with BM (i.e. bass management) you will see that like with the 7.1 option you can not set the speaker crossover. If you turn Source Direct off you can adjust crossovers for both 7.1 and HDMI just not at the same time because the player can only be configured for either HDMI audio or 7.1 audio, not both at the same time.

Question 3 - Source Direct is global in nature, it doesn't care what the disc is, it just configures the player for the best possible output of the audio signals so this does apply to Blu-ray and why I use this setting exclusively to get the best out of CD, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray audio.

Quote:

Looking at my value it's at 2 channel which makes sense because the HDMI cable goes directly into my tv and that is only stereo. Correction, I didn't read the display properly, my HDMI is set on mute in order to allow me to use the 7.1 analog outputs.

Thanks for taking the time to explore the Source Direct options. I have a little better understanding of what is the best way to set this for how I use it in my system. it makes sense for you to Mute the HDMI in the HDMI setup since you just use the 7.1 analog outputs with your MC-12. For me since I use HDMI for bluray disc's and m/c DVD-A's and the analog connections for everything else with my Classe SSP-800 prepro I select "Source Direct" on and in the HDMI setup I choose "Auto" as opposed to "Mute". This enables me to not have to mess with the A1's setup menu and just leave it alone. The one thing that I noticed with the Auto setting vs. the Mute setting is that when I am in analog mode my volume output level is around 6 to 8 dB's higher. Not sure why that is?
post #3546 of 3625 Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have a huge difference in audio level between digital, in my case coax and analog but I'm not sure for the reason.

So are you getting digital audio via HDMI and analog audio at the same time without having to go into the menu? If so that's interesting because based off of what I seen when toggling between settings it certainly looked like the player would only allow one or the other not both.

I'll be sending my player into the shop in 2 weeks to see what's going on with my red laser. Hopefully it won't be away for very long and not to expensive to fix. What pisses me off the most is that for the expense of this thing this is the only player I have had a problem with. My DVD-5900 was in my system for longer then the A1 and it had no issues and hell, my original Xbox still reads discs fine. At this price point failures like this should not happen in so few years and if it is dust on the lens then there is a serious design flaw with the unit. As a loyal Denon customer since 2003 my next player will not be a Denon I'm afraid.

post #3547 of 3625 Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also have a huge difference in audio level between digital, in my case coax and analog but I'm not sure for the reason.

So are you getting digital audio via HDMI and analog audio at the same time without having to go into the menu? If so that's interesting because based off of what I seen when toggling between settings it certainly looked like the player would only allow one or the other not both.

I'll be sending my player into the shop in 2 weeks to see what's going on with my red laser. Hopefully it won't be away for very long and not to expensive to fix. What pisses me off the most is that for the expense of this thing this is the only player I have had a problem with. My DVD-5900 was in my system for longer then the A1 and it had no issues and hell, my original Xbox still reads discs fine. At this price point failures like this should not happen in so few years and if it is dust on the lens then there is a serious design flaw with the unit. As a loyal Denon customer since 2003 my next player will not be a Denon I'm afraid.

I totally agree with you that a player of this cost should not be having problems this quickly. This was what I told Denon when I was trying to negotiate the repair expense. Explaining to them that my 3800 has never failed and it was 3 to 4 years older and less than half the price. They did work with me a little. As far as the way I have my A1 setup with my SSP-800 I just select the 7.1 analog input on the SSP when I am using the m/c analogs (7.1-Channel Analog Audio Inputs = these analog audio input signals are passed through the SSP and to the speakers with no processing. When these inputs are selected, only volume control is enabled), the 2-channel balanced analog input of the SSP when I am listening to 2-channel (again with bypass mode selected) and than when I want to to watch/listen to a bluray or DVD-A I select the one of the HDMI digital inputs. This enables me to just leave it set to "Auto" in the "HDMI Setup" and I also leave "Source Direct" on that at-least allows me speaker levels and distances settings and yes for the subwoofer although all speakers are set to large. As far as the higher volume output of 6 to 8dB higher when playing thru the m/c analogs when setup this way I have no clue as to why but it does not affect the performance in any way as far as I can hear. It could just be the difference of which unit is doing the speaker/bass management and processing, not sure if that makes sense.
post #3548 of 3625 Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Perhaps it's that Auto setting that is allowing the player to send both audio streams but not at the same time and keeping you from going into the A1's menu each time you switch from digital to analog.

post #3549 of 3625 Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:

This is what i have been saying all along, the fact that this machine is made to a heavy duty standard is one thing, but not playing discs is outrageous at this price point in such a short frame of time. Whats the use of having a 17kg machine that you cant rely on.Imagine inviting friends over to watch a movie and telling them your player retails at 10k and in the middle of a movie it starts skipping.Your friends will go away thinking your crazy for buying it, it defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place.Even though mine is under warranty, i am still peed off as at this price point it shouldn't be happening.This happened to me years ago with a pioneer VSXAX10aig receiver which retailed for $8000.00 it lasted 2 years and the DSP modes failed. This machine had just come out of warranty so i quickly wrote a firm letter to pioneer stating that this was there flagship player and was a waste of my hard earned money and within 24 hours i had it replaced with a new one.My point being is that when these companies rave on how good their product is thats fine with me, but if they are going to stick a price tag on it like this, well thats not good enough for my liking. We are not a charity organization and we work hard for our money.Same thing happened to me with my Yamaha projector so out with the pen and that too was replaced out of warranty.Flagship products of this type should last 5 years at least before these things happen.The warranty means only so much to me, its about the product we are buying and how well it stands up in comparison to how much we spend.I really hope your problem costs very little Rod and hope that you can enjoy your machine as it should be enjoyed.I will keep you posted on my progress also as i will phone the tech tomorrow and see where they are up to.

DJB of Poole likes this.

post #3550 of 3625 Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

This is what i have been saying all along, the fact that this machine is made to a heavy duty standard is one thing, but not playing discs is outrageous at this price point in such a short frame of time. Whats the use of having a 17kg machine that you cant rely on.Imagine inviting friends over to watch a movie and telling them your player retails at 10k and in the middle of a movie it starts skipping.Your friends will go away thinking your crazy for buying it, it defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place.Even though mine is under warranty, i am still peed off as at this price point it shouldn't be happening.This happened to me years ago with a pioneer VSXAX10aig receiver which retailed for $8000.00 it lasted 2 years and the DSP modes failed. This machine had just come out of warranty so i quickly wrote a firm letter to pioneer stating that this was there flagship player and was a waste of my hard earned money and within 24 hours i had it replaced with a new one.My point being is that when these companies rave on how good their product is thats fine with me, but if they are going to stick a price tag on it like this, well thats not good enough for my liking. We are not a charity organization and we work hard for our money.Same thing happened to me with my Yamaha projector so out with the pen and that too was replaced out of warranty.Flagship products of this type should last 5 years at least before these things happen.The warranty means only so much to me, its about the product we are buying and how well it stands up in comparison to how much we spend.I really hope your problem costs very little Rod and hope that you can enjoy your machine as it should be enjoyed.I will keep you posted on my progress also as i will phone the tech tomorrow and see where they are up to.

I absolutely agree about the long term reliability of these expensive machines. I fully expect to have to buy an Oppo before all that long to replace the DVDA1UD. Mine is getting physically a bit noisy, it has a shakey drawer mechanism, it is painfully slow to play Blu-ray and no updates for some time imply it has been abandoned. Compared to the old Sony SCD777 that sits next to it on my rack it seems just a bit unreliable (dangerous words those!) and compared to my really ancient Sony CDP 502ESII, which I use just for headphone CD play, it seems plain tacky.

Dave
post #3551 of 3625 Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

I absolutely agree about the long term reliability of these expensive machines. I fully expect to have to buy an Oppo before all that long to replace the DVDA1UD. Mine is getting physically a bit noisy, it has a shakey drawer mechanism, it is painfully slow to play Blu-ray and no updates for some time imply it has been abandoned. Compared to the old Sony SCD777 that sits next to it on my rack it seems just a bit unreliable (dangerous words those!) and compared to my really ancient Sony CDP 502ESII, which I use just for headphone CD play, it seems plain tacky.

Dave

There seems to be an ongoing theme here. It's really a shame because for me when It is working like it should it sure puts out some great sounding audio, but it is without a doubt the slowest and most fickle player I have ever encountered. I too have been considering getting another bluray player but hope to keep this unit for for music disc's which for me, once I got it back from repair hasn't given me any problems, knock on wood.
post #3552 of 3625 Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM

Got a call from the service center today which saved me a call and my unit is ready to pick up which is 6 hours south from where i live. They replaced the drive mechanism which replaces both the Blue and Red drive which is an all in one mechanism.Mine is covered under warranty but i still have to pay $60.00 for freight which is ok by me i guess as warranty does not cover that.I asked how much the new drive would cost if it was not under warranty and it would be around 5 to 600  Australian dollars to buy + labor. When it gets back i will put Total Recall in the machine and if i get any problems of the slightest its going back to the retailer or denon in its box and will not be coming back.I will keep you posted with an answer to the movie skipping and reading problem in the next day or so.

post #3553 of 3625 Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Good afternoon guys,I have my machine back and working. Tested a few blue rays including Total Recall and now the movie plays with no problem.Having said that i can now safely say that it was the blue ray drive all along  With a new blue ray drive installed hopefully it should last 5 years at least. I will be writing a letter to Denon explaining  the age of the machine in comparison to how long it has lasted before having to replace the drive. I think these companies need to be told so that the message can go along way to assure us that these things can and should not happen in this time frame considering the money spent as such in our case.I do understand that things go wrong with machines even at this price, but at least my letter can hopefully  go a some way to the fact that when it comes time to put a price tag on a machine it should be at least fair for us consumers.This machine sorry to say is not worth a $9999.00 price tag no way.The avp on the other hand i would say lives up to the hype but not this player. the UD is a fine built player and very attractive to the eye but If its only great when its working surely it cant be that good.I would really like to hear others opinions on this matter as this is an important issue on behalf of all us owners and i feel strongly about this.Anyways i will pen a letter and see what the response will be.Sorry for going on and on guys but this unfortunately is how i feel.

post #3554 of 3625 Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry grassy, but you have me confused. Where does the $9999 price tag come from?

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #3555 of 3625 Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Sorry grassy, but you have me confused. Where does the $9999 price tag come from?
.+1 I thought the MSRP US was 4,500.00 so I'm confused too, although I think grassy's location may be Australia. I've been following this thread because I have 2 DBP-A100 units with MSRP of 2499.00 that I purchased last year and both are showing the same symptoms as the A1UD units are...one of my players is already unable to load or play any Blu-ray disc.
I hope the replacement of the drive mechanism works out for you grassy, thanks for posting your experiences...indeed these machines were not cheap, owners shouldn't be experiencing these types of issues so early in a product's lifespan.
post #3556 of 3625 Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Prices for this stuff tend to be a lot higher in Australia, so I would assume the $9999 list price of the DVD-A1UD he mentions is Australian dollars. IMHO, the price is somewhat irrelevant though. Once you get above the really cheap stuff that you just can't reasonably expect to last forever (say above about $200 USD), these things typically should last quite a long time without need for repairs. The higher price should really be a reflection of the level of performance you're getting, not reliability.
post #3557 of 3625 Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 10
yeah,I will buy this player sight unseen if they include a source direct mode too 15.gif
post #3558 of 3625 Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:

Hi Jomark, sorry mate i should have mentioned that its  the RRP in Australia.

post #3559 of 3625 Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post

.+1 I thought the MSRP US was 4,500.00 so I'm confused too, although I think grassy's location may be Australia. I've been following this thread because I have 2 DBP-A100 units with MSRP of 2499.00 that I purchased last year and both are showing the same symptoms as the A1UD units are...one of my players is already unable to load or play any Blu-ray disc.
I hope the replacement of the drive mechanism works out for you grassy, thanks for posting your experiences...indeed these machines were not cheap, owners shouldn't be experiencing these types of issues so early in a product's lifespan.

Thanks Dave for your fine wishes. I have no doubt the mechanism will hold out for awhile and i totally agree with you on this products mechanism's lifespan.

post #3560 of 3625 Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Prices for this stuff tend to be a lot higher in Australia, so I would assume the $9999 list price of the DVD-A1UD he mentions is Australian dollars. IMHO, the price is somewhat irrelevant though. Once you get above the really cheap stuff that you just can't reasonably expect to last forever (say above about $200 USD), these things typically should last quite a long time without need for repairs. The higher price should really be a reflection of the level of performance you're getting, not reliability.

Thats my point, whats the use of having a machine at this price point, if its not reliable how is it going to perform at all.smile.gif

post #3561 of 3625 Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM

The player is performing great at the moment and so far no problems with the new drive. Its starting to win back some confidence in me.Its also amazing how quick things get done when they are under warranty all this just took only 3 weeks to solve, I have just got my pioneer amp back after 7 months getting repaired which was an absolute disgrace. After dealing with pioneer here in Australia, Denon support for me has been great also the denon tech rep i use is really great and efficient, so i am fortunate in that department.

post #3562 of 3625 Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

The player is performing great at the moment and so far no problems with the new drive. Its starting to win back some confidence in me.Its also amazing how quick things get done when they are under warranty all this just took only 3 weeks to solve, I have just got my pioneer amp back after 7 months getting repaired which was an absolute disgrace. After dealing with pioneer here in Australia, Denon support for me has been great also the denon tech rep i use is really great and efficient, so i am fortunate in that department.
Glad things are still going well grassy. This gives me hope...both of my DBP-A100 players purchased new last summer are now refusing to load/play ALL Blu-ray discs. Last night bedroom player refused to load Mch layer of an SACD with several attempts (kept loading CD layer) even though I had the disc layer setting on MULTI. The US Denon Service/Repair rep at PanurgyOEM last week told me to use a lens cleaning disc...I tracked down a brushless Maxell disc over the weekend and neither player would load the disc. To top off my run of bad luck, my Denon AVR-4310 which has been to PanurgyOEM twice for NIC and HD Radio Tuner replacement is now once again having the same intermittent issue that was the reason for the service to begin with (this actually dates back to original purchase that was exchanged...both had same tuner/radio issue). As frustrated and disappointed I am about the AVR-4310, the simultaneous decline of my 2 A100 players with only 9-12 months of use is really the icing on the cake. So your posts about your repaired player are inspiring me to pursue warranty service for my 2 units...thanks and hope everything continues to be OK with your A1UD.
post #3563 of 3625 Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post

Glad things are still going well grassy. This gives me hope...both of my DBP-A100 players purchased new last summer are now refusing to load/play ALL Blu-ray discs. Last night bedroom player refused to load Mch layer of an SACD with several attempts (kept loading CD layer) even though I had the disc layer setting on MULTI. The US Denon Service/Repair rep at PanurgyOEM last week told me to use a lens cleaning disc...I tracked down a brushless Maxell disc over the weekend and neither player would load the disc. To top off my run of bad luck, my Denon AVR-4310 which has been to PanurgyOEM twice for NIC and HD Radio Tuner replacement is now once again having the same intermittent issue that was the reason for the service to begin with (this actually dates back to original purchase that was exchanged...both had same tuner/radio issue). As frustrated and disappointed I am about the AVR-4310, the simultaneous decline of my 2 A100 players with only 9-12 months of use is really the icing on the cake. So your posts about your repaired player are inspiring me to pursue warranty service for my 2 units...thanks and hope everything continues to be OK with your A1UD.

Thanks Again Dave and by all means i would persue your warranty on them units, that way you will learn that little bit extra about what you own and get to know your units better.Also it will hold you in good steed for your next purchase and you will know what questions to ask and what you expect from your new unit if you decide to buy again I also have had some bad luck,.As i was speaking in a previous post about my Pioneer vsxax10ai Reciever being repaired out of warranty, i failed to point out that when i finally got it back 4 days ago after a ridiculous 7 months  it was returned to me Chipped(Damaged) and missing screws, my power lead was missing and my user manual also not returned and the side panels on the machine did not line up properly with the front face plate.This is 7 months later. AnywayI took photos of my damaged unit and sent them to consumer affairs via email Today i got a phone call from consumer affairs and was told pioneer had been contacted by them and after viewing the photos that consumer affairs passed on to them on my behalf they offered to replace my vsx ax10ai with a brand new top of the range SC LX86 Reciever. Now you probably think thats great, but after paying $6000.00 for my vsxax10ai and even though its a dated machine without hdmi and some of the bells and whistles that the new scLX86 has, it still means more to me than the new one offered. My vsx is a 30kg unit and i never really wanted to get rid of it..To me its not about getting something for nothing its about principle and what we invest our money in, and also dealings with a company that has let me down with neglect and having paid them great money to begin with and they treat this machine like its nothing so i ask myself why?, The replacement offer does not restore my faith in pioneer at all, because the same thing can still happen with this unit also as the lack of care and service has been appalling.If you even have a gut feeling about your 2 units go with it especially if its under warranty.I know that i dont want Pioneers new unit and will be having no more dealings with Pioneer ever, all i wanted was my current vsx returned back intact with my manual and lead, but that must of been too much to ask.I am so glad that i still have denon to fall back on even though i still feel that the price on the a1ud was a bit high.But having said that, we cant always have the cake and eat it too.smile.gifhttp://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/grassy1962/IMGP1109.jpg   http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/grassy1962/IMGP1108.jpg  http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/grassy1962/IMGP1110.jpg

post #3564 of 3625 Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Thanks Again Dave and by all means i would persue your warranty on them units, that way you will learn that little bit extra about what you own and get to know your units better.Also it will hold you in good steed for your next purchase and you will know what questions to ask and what you expect from your new unit if you decide to buy again I also have had some bad luck,.As i was speaking in a previous post about my Pioneer vsxax10ai Reciever being repaired out of warranty, i failed to point out that when i finally got it back 4 days ago after a ridiculous 7 months  it was returned to me Chipped(Damaged) and missing screws, my power lead was missing and my user manual also not returned and the side panels on the machine did not line up properly with the front face plate.This is 7 months later. AnywayI took photos of my damaged unit and sent them to consumer affairs via email Today i got a phone call from consumer affairs and was told pioneer had been contacted by them and after viewing the photos that consumer affairs passed on to them on my behalf they offered to replace my vsx ax10ai with a brand new top of the range SC LX86 Reciever. Now you probably think thats great, but after paying $6000.00 for my vsxax10ai and even though its a dated machine without hdmi and some of the bells and whistles that the new scLX86 has, it still means more to me than the new one offered. My vsx is a 30kg unit and i never really wanted to get rid of it..To me its not about getting something for nothing its about principle and what we invest our money in, and also dealings with a company that has let me down with neglect and having paid them great money to begin with and they treat this machine like its nothing so i ask myself why?, The replacement offer does not restore my faith in pioneer at all, because the same thing can still happen with this unit also as the lack of care and service has been appalling.If you even have a gut feeling about your 2 units go with it especially if its under warranty.I know that i dont want Pioneers new unit and will be having no more dealings with Pioneer ever, all i wanted was my current vsx returned back intact with my manual and lead, but that must of been too much to ask.I am so glad that i still have denon to fall back on even though i still feel that the price on the a1ud was a bit high.But having said that, we cant always have the cake and eat it too.smile.gif
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/grassy1962/IMGP1109.jpg   
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/grassy1962/IMGP1108.jpg  
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/grassy1962/IMGP1110.jpg
While I can certainly understand where you're coming from, that strikes me as a pretty reasonable resolution from Pioneer. Once the cosmetic damage has been done to your older receiver, you can't reasonably expect them to fix that since time machines don't yet exist and it's very unlikely that the parts needed to properly fix it are no longer available. Your old receiver is most likely worth a small fraction of what you originally paid for it, so if I were you I'd take them up on their offer and hope they also address their service deficiencies.
post #3565 of 3625 Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Ever since I stopped with the Blockbuster rentals I have had no issues with any type of disc's. I continually am amazed at how good the audio sounds from this player. Plain old cd's sound so good & of course SACD, DVD-A and bluray concerts sound and look terrific. I have been thinking about getting another universal bd player like the Oppo or an even less expensive one for the streaming and smart app capabilities, but I don't expect to be using it for serious music listening. With all the problems that I have had with being in for repair twice I am glad I am still able to enjoy the quality audio and video this player produces. I know others on this forum who have had issues and am curious if the feelings are mutual, that when the player is working it's hard to argue with the quality it produces.
post #3566 of 3625 Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

There"s no argue about sound or picture quality with this player. It"s awsome. Just a bit finicky . That"s all.

post #3567 of 3625 Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently purchased some audio tracks from my Rhapsody App and made a cd right from the Rhapsody site. The Cd played fine on my car stereo and on the computer but did not play very well on my A1. I heard a lot of noises that shouldn't have been there. I guess this is just another example of the fickleness of this player. I am assuming these were mp3 files and this high end player does not play well with low end mp3 files. Has anyone else had this experience?
post #3568 of 3625 Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

I don"t know.! Does it play mp3? eek.gif

post #3569 of 3625 Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don"t know.! Does it play mp3? eek.gif

In the manual it does show that it is supposed to play MP3's I don't normally listen to MP3 files, but I was making a music mix for a friends wedding and downloading these music files from Rhapsody on to a CDR and was just checking it out. As long as it keeps playing my shiny disc's as superbly as it does I'm ok.
post #3570 of 3625 Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:

I recently purchased some audio tracks from my Rhapsody App and made a cd right from the Rhapsody site. The Cd played fine on my car stereo and on the computer but did not play very well on my A1. I heard a lot of noises that shouldn't have been there. I guess this is just another example of the fickleness of this player. I am assuming these were mp3 files and this high end player does not play well with low end mp3 files. Has anyone else had this experience?

Them unwanted noises mt, that wasn't you singing along was it?smile.gifIf they were purchased tracks, then I cant see how that would happen, but I have not yet used the player in that sense but I do plan on doing so in the near future.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page