Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 3625 Old 12-26-2013, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

I have hit a new problem with the DVD-A1UD - my first few Blu-ray "Pure Audio" discs from Universal turned up today. I tried all four: Karajan Beethoven 9, Kaufmann Wagner Recital, Dvorak New World, Beethoven Violin Concerto. In each case the discs vibrated quite loudly as the drive attempted to read the disc - it was a very audible buzz! I gave up trying to listen to anything though there was music coming through and all the correct lights lit on the AVP. I tried a few other Blu-rays, audio and video, with no such problem. This is very strange indeed.

Can anyone confirm this effect from any of the new Universal "High Fidelity Pure Audio" issues. Have I got a problem? If so why do no other discs exhibit this? Are Universal pressing something just outside the standard spec? Surely not.

Yes I will try another Blu-ray player asap.

Have now tried the same discs on an Oppo 95 and find the disc stable but the DTS MA track subject to bursts of digital noise, PCM and DD tracks OK.

And another update: the discs play perfectly on a PS3 and one of the recent cheaper Denon players my dealer had. This suggests both my A1UD and the Oppo 95 have a problem. It also hints that there could be a firmware or even a hardware issue - I remain mystified.

Yet another update - some friends found the Universal BDAs played OK but were noisier in the player. I've tried a new 2L BDA and it was perfect. I still think something odd is going on with Universal's issues.

Dave eek.gif

Obviously these discs are out of dynamic balance. Something like an unbalanced wheel on our car. Send them back stating the problem and ask for direct replacements Don't try to play them in any machine as they are going to mess it up.

Limits established to be exceeded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3625 Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Obviously these discs are out of dynamic balance. Something like an unbalanced wheel on our car. Send them back stating the problem and ask for direct replacements Don't try to play them in any machine as they are going to mess it up.

Not so easy, or so obvious. It is not easy because I was sent them for review purposes and thus did not order them or purchase them. My review, soon to be on Music Web - look for [DBi] in the review index - has not been very generous smile.gif

I like your analysis and am inclined to agree, but why should it only cause problems on some machines? It implies some transports are better at controlling vibrations than others. Shouldn't the super-expensive drive in our A1UDs be particularly good rather than the opposite? In favour of your thesis a fellow reviewer has already noted to me that the Universal BDAs sent to him were playable but noisier to spin up than usual. I have scoured the web for other classical reviews but so far those on Music Web are the only ones.
post #3603 of 3625 Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm , as far as our player ultra expensive transport , i have to say that it is very elegant , and picky. It was made in the house , as denon was pleased to say. Obviously some computer drives , either bd or dvd are way less sensitive than others.Most rigid and accurate transports are made by teac-tascam, so far.
These discs will eventually wear out many transposrts if used regularly. Watch it and don't stress ai ud's transport since you wan't be able to replace it cheaply if ever.
OK so you don't ask for a replacement , but .... ok .

post #3604 of 3625 Old 12-26-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:

Hmm , as far as our player ultra expensive transport , i have to say that it is very elegant , and picky. It was made in the house , as denon was pleased to say. Obviously some computer drives , either bd or dvd are way less sensitive than others.Most rigid and accurate transports are made by teac-tascam, so far.
These discs will eventually wear out many transposrts if used regularly. Watch it and don't stress ai ud's transport since you wan't be able to replace it cheaply if ever.
OK so you don't ask for a replacement , but .... ok .

You are right jomark911, it is a picky transport. I have wondered about ordering a replacement disc-drive ready for the day it dies on me and turns the most expensive disc player I have ever bought into a doorstop. Can it be obtained even now? Meanwhile I have no intention of ever playing any of these discs again.
post #3605 of 3625 Old 12-26-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

I have no idea on the cost of this transport ,but i guess it's going to be around 1000e. If they have some spare units.
I;ll have to check with the cut costs, greek rep.

post #3606 of 3625 Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The transports can be obtained, trust me, been there, done that recently. Our expensive players have some flaky hardware for sure. The 45lbs or whatever they weight count for nothing when it comes right down to it as a lot of the other hardware in it is no better than much cheaper competition and in some cases not even as good or reliable as it turns out.

post #3607 of 3625 Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that like jomark911 was thinking the transport is expensive, here in North America definitely not as high as $1000, especially $1000 euros but it'll make you think long and hard if you want to pay for it or just get an Oppo. With the Oppo comes the advantage of being able to send SACD digitally via HDMI at proper high resolution and not have it sent as CD quality so the Oppo has that going for it.

post #3608 of 3625 Old 12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the A1 will play SHM CD's and/or SA-CD's? In theory it shouldn't have an issue but since it's such a picky player I suppose it's possible it won't.

post #3609 of 3625 Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I forgot to mention that like jomark911 was thinking the transport is expensive, here in North America definitely not as high as $1000, especially $1000 euros but it'll make you think long and hard if you want to pay for it or just get an Oppo. With the Oppo comes the advantage of being able to send SACD digitally via HDMI at proper high resolution and not have it sent as CD quality so the Oppo has that going for it.
It does send sacd bitstream by simultaneously utilising hdmi and dlink 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Does anyone know if the A1 will play SHM CD's and/or SA-CD's? In theory it shouldn't have an issue but since it's such a picky player I suppose it's possible it won't.

SHM CD's what is this?

As far as i know mine plays everything.

post #3610 of 3625 Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:

SHM CD's what is this?

As far as i know mine plays everything.

SHM CDs are those Japanese ones that use some sort of super quality substrate. Yes, I've got a handful and the A1UD does play them perfectly well.
post #3611 of 3625 Old 12-29-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I forgot about Denon Link, you are right I believe full SACD res is sent via DL4 but not via HDMI, when sent via HDMI SACD's are chopped down to 16/44.1 thus the 5.1 analog outs are necessary for those that do not have a Denon AVP1 or receiver.

post #3612 of 3625 Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I've got a handful and the A1UD does play them perfectly well.

Excellent thanks, I've seen some Sabbath SHM SACD discs I would like to try out.

post #3613 of 3625 Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Liked: 10
Still had problems watching Prometheus so I relented and did the latst firmware update. It cleared up the issues with the picture getting all jargled up but the initial load time increased significantly. I had to wait about 5 minutes before the menu for the Blu Ray came up. Load times for this player before were bad, but it appears the new firmware made it even more so. I haven't tried another disc but if they are al like this it's ridiculous.
post #3614 of 3625 Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Load times on a1ud , always were the problem . I haven't done the latest fw update. Some time back there was a report that NEW fw caused problems. So i think of staying with the old one.
Funny thing my unit does not get a lot of use lately, and when i try to play a sacd , sometimes it says no disk , or take forever to load the disk. After that it plays fine.

post #3615 of 3625 Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

If it's starting to say no disc it's possible that the lens is dirty but that was the early signs of laser assemly failure for mine. It was intermittent at first i.e. no disc messages and most of the time things were fine then it got to the point that no SACD or DVD-Audios would be recognized then went the CD's and into DVD's. So the assembly had to be replaced.

One thing I found by accident that sped up loading was removing the SD card. Without the ability to do the BD Live stuff that seemed to make a difference. I had taken my card out when the unit went in for repair and forgot to put the card back in when it returned. The load times were surprisingly fast (well fast for the A1, it was still no PS3) and I couldn't figure out why, not that I was complaining. It wasn't until I put the card back in that I immediately seen the load times go back to where they had been.

post #3616 of 3625 Old 02-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

I had read about this (sd card) but did not tryed it out , or if i did i didn't see any improvement , so i forgot to check again.
I will check it out though. As for the lens , i have clened it at least once , my self and it went fine , after cleaning. Will check again and come back.

post #3617 of 3625 Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Well checked a1 without sd card and for sacd loading time was improved. Haven;t checked with a blu ray though. Will do.

post #3618 of 3625 Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting, I actually wouldn't have thought anything other than Blu-rays would see the loading time improve. Very intersting.

post #3619 of 3625 Old 03-22-2014, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Well it seems that loading times improve , not exactly significantly , but noticeably . So sd card is a past.

post #3620 of 3625 Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:

You are right jomark911, it is a picky transport. I have wondered about ordering a replacement disc-drive ready for the day it dies on me and turns the most expensive disc player I have ever bought into a doorstop. Can it be obtained even now? Meanwhile I have no intention of ever playing any of these discs again.

The saga of my DVD-A1UD can now be updated. I received the machine back from Sontec, the Denon UK service agents, after two months. They decided the drive was at fault and I went ahead and had it replaced whilst it is still possible to obtain the mechanism. Having tested the same discs yesterday I can confirm it now works perfectly, and quietly, on everything I played. It is effectively like a new machine. The cost of the service was £625 [ €766 or US$1050 ] including delivery. This last fact means that, lovely though it is, it is going on eBay very soon and I shall use my spare, an Oppo BDP105D, as master machine feeding the Denon AVP. A pity, but needs must. The Denon DVD might well end up being the most costly purchasing decision in my 50+ years audio-hobby lifetime. Sad really.
post #3621 of 3625 Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

That's sad indeed.
I don't know how much it can get though on ebay.

post #3622 of 3625 Old 05-31-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I bought mine second hand about just over a year ago(not a mark on it) and changed the disc drive and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I got 2 years warranty with it and now when i think back i got a great deal. I was a bit peed at the time the drive was playing up but it has lived up to the reputation of a very high end player and now every time i look at it in my rack i feel great. I dont think i could get rid of it. Its too smooth and on the 2 channel side of things is a real beast. :) A perfect compliment to my AVP.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #3623 of 3625 Old 06-07-2014, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

The saga of my DVD-A1UD can now be updated. I received the machine back from Sontec, the Denon UK service agents, after two months. They decided the drive was at fault and I went ahead and had it replaced whilst it is still possible to obtain the mechanism. Having tested the same discs yesterday I can confirm it now works perfectly, and quietly, on everything I played. It is effectively like a new machine. The cost of the service was £625 [ €766 or US$1050 ] including delivery. This last fact means that, lovely though it is, it is going on eBay very soon and I shall use my spare, an Oppo BDP105D, as master machine feeding the Denon AVP. A pity, but needs must. The Denon DVD might well end up being the most costly purchasing decision in my 50+ years audio-hobby lifetime. Sad really.

Why not still use it as a cd player atleast.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #3624 of 3625 Old 06-07-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

Why not still use it as a cd player atleast.

I've a very capable Sony SCD777ES with Level 5 upgrades. That and the Oppo BDP105D make for a pretty good pairing covering all the bases.
post #3625 of 3625 Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone tell me how to do a hard reset of the DVD A1UD, my unit only respond to power on and off, like to do a reset to see if it will work.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page