Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

This sounds like an awesome machine from Denon.

However, if I were thinking of spending this sort of cash on my HT I'd seriously consider Oppo BDP-83 + Denon DVP-602ci as a better overall upgrade. Assuming you already have HDMI audio capability, for significantly less cash you'd get reference-grade HQV Realta processing for ALL of your video sources as well as BD, DVD, SACD, Source Direct (but you give up DVD-A).

But the new Denon is so much more then the plastic Oppo. It shares the same transport as their new flagship DCD-SX SACD player. IMO, this is truly a high end, both in build quality and performance, universal player.

Growing Older But Not Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

But the new Denon is so much more then the plastic Oppo. It shares the same transport as their new flagship DCD-SX SACD player. IMO, this is truly a high end, both in build quality and performance, universal player.

And a bargain to boot, compared to that DCD-SX...

Dave

post #453 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

It just seems a waste IMO not to utilize Realta for all of your video sources. I guess for those with really deep pockets, you could do both.
post #454 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I hear what you're saying. But if one has, say the AVP for example, that will take care of all your video needs too. Granted the video processing becomes a tad redundant with the AVP and the DVD-A1 combo. But again, IMO the uber-Denon is so much more then a high end blu-ray player.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #455 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. AVP + DVD-A1, now that's a deep pocket.

In any case, I think DVD-A1 owners can rest assured that the Realta implementation by Denon is sound assuming the performance of the DVP-602ci is an indication. 1080p24 output from DVD should be flawless.
post #456 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It just seems a waste IMO not to utilize Realta for all of your video sources. I guess for those with really deep pockets, you could do both.

I don't quite get what you're saying--Where are you referring to Realta not being utilized?

Thanks.

Dave

post #457 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

MH, I think he was referring to the 602's Realta and the ability to handle all your video sources, whereas the DVD-A1's Realta will be just for the A1.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #458 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. AVP + DVD-A1, now that's a deep pocket.

In any case, I think DVD-A1 owners can rest assured that the Realta implementation by Denon is sound assuming the performance of the DVP-602ci is an indication. 1080p24 output from DVD should be flawless.

Lol. Just trying to help the economy.

All kidding aside, I think the DVD-A1 is going to be the blu-ray player to beat. Will price limit it's market share? Sure. But that shouldn't diminish it's remarkable build and performance. You can cheapen technology, but you can't cheapen quality.

To be honest, I'm not positive I will be getting the A1. I'm still curious about the upcoming Pioneer 09FD. However, the A1 is at the top o' my list.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #459 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

I don't quite get what you're saying--Where are you referring to Realta not being utilized?

Thanks.

Yep. Ideally, you'd apply the Realta to all of the video sources in the system i.e. cable, OTA, Sat box, game console, etc. This is done via a central hub (i.e. AVP or DVP 602). Not to say it won't be great in the A1.
post #460 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Yep. Ideally, you'd apply the Realta to all of the video sources in the system i.e. cable, OTA, Sat box, game console, etc. This is done via a central hub (i.e. AVP or DVP 602). Not to say it won't be great in the A1.

Your advice is great and certainly something that I follow, but I think most people who are interested in this player simply want a nicely crafted and thoughtfully engineered universal player. I would imagine that most potential buyers of this player don't really consider cost as much of a concern, and tend to focus on audio quality where things like two-channel analog audio performance is of utmost importance. If Denon actually delivers a reliable optical drive for a change ( ), then they will undoubtedly satisfy such consumers.
post #461 of 3625 Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

. I would imagine that most potential buyers of this player don't really consider cost as much of a concern...

Oh, it's a concern, allright.

But I'm gettin' one anyway.

Dave

post #462 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Your advice is great and certainly something that I follow, but I think most people who are interested in this player simply want a nicely crafted and thoughtfully engineered universal player. I would imagine that most potential buyers of this player don't really consider cost as much of a concern, and tend to focus on audio quality where things like two-channel analog audio performance is of utmost importance. If Denon actually delivers a reliable optical drive for a change ( ), then they will undoubtedly satisfy such consumers.

Maybe I'm just shamelessly promoting the DVP-602ci.

Having a more central location for Realta makes sense also from an audiophile perspective, i.e., the universal player acts as a "transport" while the major heavy lifting for audio/video processing is done elsewhere.
post #463 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Oh, it's a concern, allright.

But I'm gettin' one anyway.

They think more money = better sound
post #464 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I'm just shamelessly promoting the DVP-602ci.

Having a more central location for Realta makes sense also from an audiophile perspective, i.e., the universal player acts as a "transport" while the major heavy lifting for audio/video processing is done elsewhere.

I know what you mean. I'm a shameless promoter of DVDO's EDGE myself.

I also went the separates route, with cheap players/devices digitally connected to decent quality processors.
post #465 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

They think more money = better sound

Well, if they came in cracker jack boxes, you could have one , too...

Dave

post #466 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, if they came in cracker jack boxes, you could have one , too...

Now that you say that, I wish I could get a universal player in a Cracker Jack box that does audio processing in the 32-bit domain and feeds it to a 32-bit dual-differential DAC stage with no need to dither down.
post #467 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Well I'm definitely getting a DVD-A1UDCI. And this coming week I'm going to see about having my dealer pre-order me one.

I think this player is gonna kick butt!

Seth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #468 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Well I'm definitely getting a DVD-A1UDCI. And this coming week I'm going to see about having my dealer pre-order me one.

Seth

I reckon it will Seth, looking forward in reading your impressions.

Frank

post #469 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I reckon it will Seth, looking forward in reading your impressions.

I am really looking forward to getting it. And once I get mine I will definitely share my impressions.

Seth

post #470 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

After a lot of web searching, I found a pdf that shows what DAC's are used in the player. These DAC's are supposed to have a 126dB SNR & -105 THD+N. Also of note, these DAC's are AKM's top of the line, and are so new that they aren't even listed yet on the company's website.

Here's the pdf product sheet (in Chinese).

http://www.denon.com.hk/pdf/DVDA1UD.pdf

Also here is some other specs on this player (translated from Japanese):

[Audio characteristics]

Audio frequency/BD:2Hz~88kHz(192kHz Sampling), DVD:2Hz~88kHz(192kHz Sampling), Super Audio CD:2Hz~100kHz CD-DA:2Hz~20kHz Audio frequency /SN ratio/ 125dB, dynamic range / 110dB, total harmonic distortion rate / 0.0008%

Seth

post #471 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

After a lot of web searching, I found a pdf that shows what DAC's are used in the player. These DAC's are supposed to have a 126dB SNR & -105 THD+N. Also of note, these DAC's are AKM's top of the line, and are so new that they aren't even listed yet on the company's website.

[Audio characteristics]

Audio frequency?BD?2Hz?88kHz?192kHz Sampling), DVD?2Hz?88kHz?192kHz Sampling), Super Audio CD?2Hz?100kHz CD-DA?2Hz?20kHz Audio frequency /SN ratio/ 125dB, dynamic range / 110dB, total harmonic distortion rate / 0.0008%

Seth

Cheers Seth
Btw did you find out how long before you have one in your hands ?

Frank

post #472 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cheers Seth
Btw did you find out how long before you have one in your hands ?

Unfortunately not yet, so I must patiently wait until an exact release date is given. All we know right now is Feb. But is that early Feb. or late Feb.? Guess we'll find out more at CES.

Seth

post #473 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Unfortunately not yet, so I must patiently wait until an exact release date is given. All we know right now is Feb. But is that early Feb. or late Feb.? Guess we'll find out more at CES.

Seth

Hey seth the excitement reminds me when we were all paitiently waiting for the AVP.

Frank

post #474 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey seth the excitement reminds me when we were all paitiently waiting for the AVP.

No doubt.

post #475 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

[Audio characteristics]

Audio frequency/BD:2Hz~88kHz(192kHz Sampling), DVD:2Hz~88kHz(192kHz Sampling), Super Audio CD:2Hz~100kHz CD-DA:2Hz~20kHz Audio frequency /SN ratio/ 125dB, dynamic range / 110dB, total harmonic distortion rate / 0.0008%

Seth

hope you get it soon seth. it looks a beauty thats for sure

look forward to reading how you find it

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #476 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Al I still want to see if it has PAL support or for me it isn't a true Universal Player if we can't play our PAL DVDs on it.
post #477 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

Al I still want to see if it has PAL support or for me it isn't a true Universal Player if we can't play our PAL DVDs on it.

hey spero good point, given we not seen the 3800 or the 2500 on our shores as yet because they cant/wont make it for our region probably doesnt bode well for something this to come our way

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #478 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seth

Rock on Seth!!

I still haven't decided 100% if I'm going for this player or not. However, I will say the odds look pretty good that it will happen.

Franin, this is a lot like all of us waiting for our AVPs again. Kind of fun.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #479 of 3625 Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But is that early Feb. or late Feb.? Guess we'll find out more at CES.

Seth

If I were a betting man, I would say late Feb.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #480 of 3625 Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

hope you get it soon seth. it looks a beauty thats for sure

look forward to reading how you find it

Yes I am hoping I can get it soon. And I hope it proves to be glitch free right out the gate. And since this player was designed completely in house, I'm also hoping that it will not have the playback freezes I have been experiencing with Universal Studio Blu-ray's. My Denon 2500 pretty much locks up on every Universal title I play, but then again the 2500 uses some Panasonic parts.

Seth

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page