Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1681 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
multimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryy View Post

First, a big +1 on the strong preference for a projector. I took the plunge almost 10 years ago, when the price to get a true 1080i projector was drastically more than you can get a truly great 1080p projector for these days. And I really wouldn't consider anything else in a home theater. (I have a 10 foot screen that used to be lit by a Sony G90 and is now lit by a Sony VPL-VW70.)

And, oh my goodness yes, you can and should watch TV on your projector!!! True, HD movies and concerts from Blu-ray are stunning. But so is routine day-to-day TV if you can get it in HD (which is easily available in the US from DirecTV, including all the networks, SciFi, USA, Discovery, A&E, Bravo, ESPN, HBO, Showtime, pretty much everything of interest), and watching your favorite sport in HD on a big screen is entirely different from any other way. (I dropped my season tickets to the Colts when NFL Sunday Ticket went HD, and, yeah, okay, after they'd won the Superbowl and I figured it wasn't going to get any better than that. )

Old, Standard Definition TV is going to look as low res as it actually is on such a system, and you'll probably begin to avoid it except for really special stuff available no other way. But, thankfully, HD is really here now, and regular ol' TV is a pleasure to watch in HD.

As someone pointed out, it'll use up bulb life, but, come on, a few hundred dollars every few years to have the best TV you can possibly have? It's hard to imagine anyone participating in this forum, with the kind and cost of equipment people routinely talk about, who wouldn't happily commit to that.

Thankfully, if you pick a good LCD projector you won't have to worry about "burn in", watching what 4:3 TV you actually watch on your 16:9 screen. I had that problem on my G90 and had to take extraordinary measures to minimize the problem. (Burn in is caused by overusing one part of your projector's display area relative to the rest and reducing light output and shifting color in that overused area, such as when frequently viewing 4:3 material inset in a 16:9 area.)

You'll want to do your own research, and there are many different projector technologies and vendors, but I highly recommend the current Sony "SXRD" line (VPL-VW#, with higher #s getting better and more expensive). Their prices are very reasonable for what you get, and the tight pitch of their LCD technology (that "SXRD" technology) means that almost no matter how close you sit to your screen (within reason) you will never see the dreaded "screen door" effect. Other LCD technologies can leave you looking at little outlined rectangles on the screen if you sit too close, which is something I seriously abhor. (Early digital projectors in cinemas were painful in this regard and I just recently saw a "digital IMAX" movie that was unpleasantly pixellated--they really shouldn't be allowed to call that IMAX.)

JVC has a similar technology, and I really wanted to try it, but not a single store in Chicago had a current generation model to demo and even JVC USA corporate offices couldn't say where any units were available for demo. That combined with some horror stories I heard about JVC service, as opposed to some very positive comments on Sony service, ended that particular quest.

So, yeah, HD TV is great on your projector. And Blu-ray is even better. And there's no reason not to mix them.

Agreed 100% currently watching Wimbledon tennis in HD on my 13ft screen via my projector, it is better than being there.
multimedes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1682 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,009
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Doh! I'm still working.. But I am looking forward to Master and Commander tonight.. 2.40 aspect!! Big scope picture and DTS MA sound.. Yes, front projection, CIH is my ideal (there are pros and cons to all set ups, but a properly masked scope film via anamorphic lens is tough to beat in today's world. Zooming is theoretically nice but you lose a lot of pixels, few projectors have memory for each lens zoom setting (1.78, and 2.35) meaning you got a tweak/ zoom it by hand)!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #1683 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
multimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Doh! I'm still working.. But I am looking forward to Master and Commander tonight.. 2.40 aspect!! Big scope picture and DTS MA sound.. Yes, front projection, CIH is my ideal (there are pros and cons to all set ups, but a properly masked scope film via anamorphic lens is tough to beat in today's world. Zooming is theoretically nice but you lose a lot of pixels, few projectors have memory for each lens zoom setting (1.78, and 2.35) meaning you got a tweak/ zoom it by hand)!

Fortunately I have 128 memories used about 70 todate.
Love Master and Commander!!
Forgot to mention I do have the only IS15-2K with fully programable auto zoom and focus and the focus is less than 1 pixel accuracy.
multimedes is offline  
post #1684 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

I appreciate knowing that you had lip sync issues with your 3800- I have had to adjust the player to 80ms to sync up with 24fps material! Are you aware of others as well who had to make this adjustment?

Yes there were a few that I know about. I beleive another person arrived at 150ms to be spot on for 24fps material.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1685 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I'm also really liking the Mode button. The HDMI Res button will also be handy in order to switch up between 1080p24 and 1080p for concert discs.

Rod, I just have HDMI Resolution set to Auto and the player selects the appropriate a/v mode. A couple of other differences I have from your set-up besides source direct set to off is under video set-up I have for TV Aspect (Aspect Ratio) set to 16:9 Squeeze Auto. I beleive the setting you have will stretch 4:3 material to fill the screen which is what you may want. With 16:9 Squeeze Auto any 4:3 material will be dispayed as such with the black bars on the sides a couple of other differences and I am still experimenting is the subwoofer Mode which currently I have set for LFE+Main & I have Component Resolution set to 480/576i since I don't use components and thats how I set it up in the 3800.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1686 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Newbie
 
aw5655's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Lee View Post

Thank you all for your inputs.

Blue "Clock Control" LED lights up now.

The problem was me. I didn't know that now we playback EVERYTHING (Blu-Ray, CD, SACD and DVD-A) thru the Denon Link and not the traditional bitstream audio for Blu-Ray thru HDMI.

Just assign source input to HDMI and make sure DIGITAL is set to Denon Link. on the AVP-A1HD setup menu, in addition to turning on HDMI Control to ON.

On the DVD-A1UD, make sure you get DenonLink 4 set to the correct HDMI output that is connected to AVP. In my case, my setup also works when the HDMI mode is set to AVP Direct.

It was 1 am last night when the Clock Control LED works....I could not compare / detect the difference in audio yet.

(Audio)

I have a similar set you as your and still can't get it to work.
I have HDMI1 connected to my plasma, HDMI2 connected to my AVP (HDMI1), enabled the DL4 for HDMI2 and running AV Pure direct mode.

On AVP, I have assigned HDMI 1 for DVD, DLINK for Digital and Input source to HDMI. I wonder what I am doing wrong here.
aw5655 is offline  
post #1687 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Newbie
 
aw5655's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw5655 View Post

I have a similar set you as your and still can't get it to work.
I have HDMI1 connected to my plasma, HDMI2 connected to my AVP (HDMI1), enabled the DL4 for HDMI2 and running AV Pure direct mode.

On AVP, I have assigned HDMI 1 for DVD, DLINK for Digital and Input source to HDMI. I wonder what I am doing wrong here.

I've forgotten to mention that HDMI control is also enabled on AVP. I did however turned off the power control on both units.
aw5655 is offline  
post #1688 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Parrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Yes there were a few that I know about. I beleive another person arrived at 150ms to be spot on for 24fps material.

Hey thanks for the follow up! I won't worry about this anymore now and just try and enjoy the player!

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
Parrish is offline  
post #1689 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryy View Post

First, a big +1 on the strong preference for a projector.

Great info larryy. Muchas gracias. The VPL-VW70 is one of the projectors that has piqued my interest.

As not to get this great thread too much more off topic, I started a thread here for all my questions and concerns. I hope all you projector aficionados (you know who you are) will stop by and let me pick your vast knowledge.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is offline  
post #1690 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Audio Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampines, Singapore
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw5655 View Post

I've forgotten to mention that HDMI control is also enabled on AVP. I did however turned off the power control on both units.

I stand corrected again for my last posting.

Indeed, for audio media, we use DL4 and we still use HDMI for Blu Ray bitstream audio. Thanks to jomark911.

Copying this from someone's post:-

DVD-A1UD setting:-

HDMI Setup - Auto Format: Max Res.
HDMI Setup - Color Space: RGB enhanced
HDMI Setup - Deep Color: Auto
HDMI Setup - Audio Setup: ? (I could not remember how I set this)
HDMI Setup - SA-CD Audio Out: Off
HDMI Setup - HDMI Control - Control: on
HDMI Setup - HDMI Control - Power Off Control: Off

Audio Setup - 7.1ch Audio Out: Grey out
Audio Setup - Speaker Configuration: Greyed out
Audio Setup - Source Direct: On: 100kHz
Audio Setup - Compression: Off
Audio Setup - AFDM: Grey out
Audio Setup - BD Effect Sound: On
Audio Setup - BD Re-Encoder: Auto
Audio Setup - Digital Out: Bitstream
Audio Setup - Downmix: Lt/Rt

My HDMI power setting is also off in both DVD and AVP. And as far as I can tell, our settings are similar. Denon should have make it easy for AVP owners by providing a AVP owner default setting.

Last night I did a comparison between with Clock Control and without. This is achieved by playing a Blu Ray and using the AVP's HDMI Control and toggle it on and off.

The soundstage without Clock Control sounded rounded, while with Clock Control, there seems to be slightly more focus on the positions of the various musical instrument and vocal.

(Audio)
Audio Lee is offline  
post #1691 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Is there a reason you select RGB Enhanced? Have you compared them yet? I have been using YCbCr because I was told it was the only way to get the upconverted color. I may have to try RGB Enhanced to then.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #1692 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,380
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 177
What is RGB Enhanced? Is that like 0%IRE or another way of saying RGB-PC?... or is that something different?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #1693 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Audio Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampines, Singapore
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Is there a reason you select RGB Enhanced? Have you compared them yet? I have been using YCbCr because I was told it was the only way to get the upconverted color. I may have to try RGB Enhanced to then.

Yes, that what I thought too, I selected YCbCr at first. Then I thought why not just try, at most, I would just get an unstable picture but it works. I am using a Sony VPL-VW100, by the way.

The PQ on this Denon is truly super. The Oppo PQ as I understand is great but when compared to this Denon, there is a significant difference. I did the comparison using direct HDMI connection to the projector. Both player video setting are different (need to compensate with projector video setting - Oppo is brighter) but the Oppo PQ seems be softer than the Denon. (My personal opinion)

(Audio)
Audio Lee is offline  
post #1694 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Lee View Post

Yes, that what I thought too, I selected YCbCr at first. Then I thought why not just try, at most, I would just get an unstable picture but it works. I am using a Sony VPL-VW100, by the way.

The PQ on this Denon is truly super. The Oppo PQ as I understand is great but when compared to this Denon, there is a significant difference. I did the comparison using direct HDMI connection to the projector. Both player video setting are different (need to compensate with projector video setting - Oppo is brighter) but the Oppo PQ seems be softer than the Denon. (My personal opinion)

(Audio)

I compared them both to. I will now have to experiemnt with the RGB Enhanced setting. I will also attempt to get the clock on light going. I have the 4310 receiver now and will see if together they can succeed.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #1695 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,380
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

So,What one ,you like or think the best one?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1159368

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #1696 of 3625 Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Newbie
 
snunited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Lee View Post

Yes, that what I thought too, I selected YCbCr at first. Then I thought why not just try, at most, I would just get an unstable picture but it works. I am using a Sony VPL-VW100, by the way.

The PQ on this Denon is truly super. The Oppo PQ as I understand is great but when compared to this Denon, there is a significant difference. I did the comparison using direct HDMI connection to the projector. Both player video setting are different (need to compensate with projector video setting - Oppo is brighter) but the Oppo PQ seems be softer than the Denon. (My personal opinion)

(Audio)

Do you have any chance to compart the Denon with the Pioneer 09FD?
snunited is offline  
post #1697 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Member
 
Audio Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampines, Singapore
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snunited View Post

Do you have any chance to compart the Denon with the Pioneer 09FD?

No, I did not. Been always wanting to buy a Pioneer Blu Ray player on many occasions (even the first one before Sony BDP-1S) but never really have the right opportunity to do so. It is either the knowledge of some new Pioneer model is superseding the current model or a distraction of some other players from the other brands.

(Audio)
Audio Lee is offline  
post #1698 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Great review Joerod, I would be curious to see which of the two you keep.

Honestly, I am really conflicted. Don't look into anything depending on which one I keep. I change components every other week. Seriously, I really like the Denon but I also like the Pioneer. Damn, decisions. Maybe I will just keep it. I did promise my 09FD to my neighbor...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #1699 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

So,What one ,you like or think the best one?

My compraison still sums it up. I like both!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #1700 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 06:52 AM
 
dogone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered the Denon yesterday from Amazon...It couldn't possibly be slower than the 09. I think I'll be happy...
dogone is offline  
post #1701 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

I ordered the Denon yesterday from Amazon...It couldn't possibly be slower than the 09. I think I'll be happy...

That's great, I think you will be happy. After slow boot-up time (with can be fixed in the set-up menu) This player is a lot quicker to load than my 3800 To me besides the addition of SACD & DVD-A This player appears to me to be better than the 3800 in pretty much all categories. So Joerod's 98 for the A1 and 94 for the 3800 sounds about right to me.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1702 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Rod, I just have HDMI Resolution set to Auto and the player selects the appropriate a/v mode. A couple of other differences I have from your set-up besides source direct set to off is under video set-up I have for TV Aspect (Aspect Ratio) set to 16:9 Squeeze Auto. I beleive the setting you have will stretch 4:3 material to fill the screen which is what you may want. With 16:9 Squeeze Auto any 4:3 material will be dispayed as such with the black bars on the sides a couple of other differences and I am still experimenting is the subwoofer Mode which currently I have set for LFE+Main & I have Component Resolution set to 480/576i since I don't use components and thats how I set it up in the 3800.

So it does compensate for 1080p24 and 1080p60 on it's own, cool. Thanks for posting that. I got the Rush:Snakes and Arrows Live yesterday so I"ll give it a try on that. I actually haven't watched anything with 4:3 content yet so I may change that setting depending on how I like the setting I have now. Looking at the manual I thought the squeeze mode kept the middle of the screen relatively unstretched and then gradually streched out the edges to fill the entire screen, sort of like a lot of tvs do. For component resolution I initially was going to use a component cable just to get the on screen display on my Lexicon to come up if needed when watching BluRays but realized I don't need a feed from the player to do that, I can simply switch to another input on the tv that is being fed by the Lexicon and can see the OSD that way.

Rod#S is offline  
post #1703 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I watched the sdvd Eric Clapton "One More Car, One More Rider" concert and once again the upconversion was very good, looked almost like blu-ray. The audio was just basic DTS but sounded great. Also played a couple of cdr's and they also sounded great. My 3800 was a little tempermental with one of my burned cd's but it played fine on the A1. This player continues to put a smile on my face.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1704 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

So it does compensate for 1080p24 and 1080p60 on it's own, cool. Thanks for posting that. I got the Rush:Snakes and Arrows Live yesterday so I"ll give it a try on that. I actually haven't watched anything with 4:3 content yet so I may change that setting depending on how I like the setting I have now. Looking at the manual I thought the squeeze mode kept the middle of the screen relatively unstretched and then gradually streched out the edges to fill the entire screen, sort of like a lot of tvs do. For component resolution I initially was going to use a component cable just to get the on screen display on my Lexicon to come up if needed when watching BluRays but realized I don't need a feed from the player to do that, I can simply switch to another input on the tv that is being fed by the Lexicon and can see the OSD that way.

With my 3800 I had HDMI Resolution set to Auto and with my Pio Plasma 151FD it selected the appropriate video mode every time and this is the same with the A1. Come to think of it I haven't played any 4:3 material on the A1 yet, so I actually am assuming that the Video Aspect settings work the same as it did on the 3800. I'll have to play the Eric Clapton unplugged sdvd later as I know that is 4:3 to check.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1705 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I finally got to really sit down with the player last night. It was the fact that Source Direct was on that prevented me from being able to make adjustments within Speaker Configuration and AFDM. So I turned it off, went into the menu and set the surround back speakers to None, subwoofer to Yes and all other speakers to Large. With Source Direct turned on I'm guessing the Crossover frequency does not matter, is that correct? If it's still relevant what should I be setting everything to considering I'm doing bass management in my Lexicon?

I was able to confirm that when listening to SACDs via analog the AL32 light goes out, just as the AL24 did on my 5900 so it still looks like that this processing is not done on SACD. I wonder why that is.

As was the case with SACD and DVD-Audio on my 5900, when watching BluRays I have to turn the volume up higher than if I was using a digital connection. Listening to standard DVD tracks via digital coax produces the same volume level as the 5900 did using the same connection. I tested with Galdiator to ensure I was going to see 6.1 dts ES light up on my Lexicon and it did.

I have never had a BluRay player before so I can't offer any comparisons but I will say the picture is stunning, clear, sharp, vibrant, I'm very pleased. The sound is just as good, clear and powerful.

I find the button response on the remote quite good, my 5900 was a little sluggish to navigate the menus and the A1 is faster than that was so I"m happy there. I don't really mind the load times as it's not as bad as I had thought it would be or at least I'm not finding it annoying, so that's good. I have only watch Wanted and about 30 minutes of Prince Caspian so far but I plan to watch all of my BluRays over the next week or so.

Rod#S is offline  
post #1706 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

With my 3800 I had HDMI Resolution set to Auto and with my Pio Plasma 151FD it selected the appropriate video mode every time and this is the same with the A1. Come to think of it I haven't played any 4:3 material on the A1 yet, so I actually am assuming that the Video Aspect settings work the same as it did on the 3800. I'll have to play the Eric Clapton unplugged sdvd later as I know that is 4:3 to check.

I just re-read the part of the manual again about 16:9 and 16:9 Squeeze Auto. I think you were right, it does sound like 4:3 material will be displayed in the center with no stretching.

Rod#S is offline  
post #1707 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Member
 
jbuccino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a happy (thrilled!) owner of the AVP/POA combo and I am getting ready for delivery of my DVD-A1. I notice that a lot of you are going HDMI directly from the DVD to the screen (in my case a Pioneer 101FD) rather than HDMI to the AVP. Is there a good technical reason for this?

I also plan to try and use DL4 which must go to the AVP. The DL4 documentation has got me a bit confused though. If I use HDMI from the DVD to my plasma will the DL4 carry all the audio to the AVP no matter what source material I play in the DVD-A1 or do I have to use HDMI or XLR audi connections as well to get some material into the AVP? Does this change if I set the HMDI mode of the DVD-A1 to "Pure Direct".

Thanks in advance for any clarification that you can provide me.

- Joe
jbuccino is offline  
post #1708 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

So I finally got to really sit down with the player last night. It was the fact that Source Direct was on that prevented me from being able to make adjustments within Speaker Configuration and AFDM. So I turned it off, went into the menu and set the surround back speakers to None, subwoofer to Yes and all other speakers to Large. With Source Direct turned on I'm guessing the Crossover frequency does not matter, is that correct? If it's still relevant what should I be setting everything to considering I'm doing bass management in my Lexicon?

I was able to confirm that when listening to SACDs via analog the AL32 light goes out, just as the AL24 did on my 5900 so it still looks like that this processing is not done on SACD. I wonder why that is.

As was the case with SACD and DVD-Audio on my 5900, when watching BluRays I have to turn the volume up higher than if I was using a digital connection. Listening to standard DVD tracks via digital coax produces the same volume level as the 5900 did using the same connection. I tested with Galdiator to ensure I was going to see 6.1 dts ES light up on my Lexicon and it did.

I have never had a BluRay player before so I can't offer any comparisons but I will say the picture is stunning, clear, sharp, vibrant, I'm very pleased. The sound is just as good, clear and powerful.

I find the button response on the remote quite good, my 5900 was a little sluggish to navigate the menus and the A1 is faster than that was so I"m happy there. I don't really mind the load times as it's not as bad as I had thought it would be or at least I'm not finding it annoying, so that's good. I have only watch Wanted and about 30 minutes of Prince Caspian so far but I plan to watch all of my BluRays over the next week or so.

Wow Rod this is your first blu-ray player! You went right to top. This is not your average player. I don't imagine there is another player out there that will sound any better playing the higher resolution audio formats that blu-ray offers and with separate balanced for stereo. You will have a lot of flexibility using this player with your Lexicon pre/pro.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1709 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuccino View Post

I am a happy (thrilled!) owner of the AVP/POA combo and I am getting ready for delivery of my DVD-A1. I notice that a lot of you are going HDMI directly from the DVD to the screen (in my case a Pioneer 101FD) rather than HDMI to the AVP. Is there a good technical reason for this?

I also plan to try and use DL4 which must go to the AVP. The DL4 documentation has got me a bit confused though. If I use HDMI from the DVD to my plasma will the DL4 carry all the audio to the AVP no matter what source material I play in the DVD-A1 or do I have to use HDMI or XLR audi connections as well to get some material into the AVP? Does this change if I set the HMDI mode of the DVD-A1 to "Pure Direct".

Thanks in advance for any clarification that you can provide me.

- Joe

I am only using the m/c analog outs for audio, but I think you would probably have all three HDMI, DL4 & Balanced Xlr's for your 2-channel.

I am not sure about your question regarding changing the HDMI Mode to "Pure Direct "? In the A1's manual it talks about "Pure Direct" on pg 30 & 40 and it has to do with disabling the digital signal the video signal & the units display and you would use it for maximum audio quality. This can all be done with the Pure Direct button on the remote.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1710 of 3625 Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Wow Rod this is your first blu-ray player! You went right to top. This is not your average player. I don't imagine there is another player out there that will sound any better playing the higher resolution audio formats that blu-ray offers and with separate balanced for stereo. You will have a lot of flexibility using this player with your Lexicon pre/pro.

Yeah, I held off on BluRay a long time didin't I Normally I'm an early adopter of new tech but when HD discs emerged in the form of 2 competing formats like SACD and DVD-Audio I just said to myself you know, this time I"ll wait and see what happens When Samsung announced the HDDVD/BluRay 1200 combo player I was sooo close to getting that but when it came out it had issues so I waited to see what would be ironed out with firmware updates and during that same time Tosbiba killed HDDVD. So with only one format I decided to hold out until the format matured a bit and a high end player emerged. If the Pioneer 09 had of played SACD and DVD-Audio I would have got it day one just as I did the A1, no questions asked but since I wanted a single player soloution I waited again and here I am

I love my Lex but she is getting a bit old. When I heard the A1 had balanced 2 channel outs I got really excited as it had been a long time since I looked at the back of the Lex and just thought it had a 2 channel balanced input but it didn't My memory had played tricks on me as it was a XLR SPDIF input that it actually had. Oh well, perhaps the next Lexicon flagship will have a balanced 2 channel option, no biggie. There are 3 things I wish the Lex had, 7.1 analog inputs, balanced 2 channel inputs and HDMI 1.3. Currently the replacement of my MC-12, the MC12HD only has HDMI 1.1 and is limited to 5.1. If the MC-12HD could accept 7.1 over HDMI I would probably upgrade but without a 7.1 option I am more than happy with my 5.1 analog inputs.

I have considered replacing it with the Anthem Statement D2v2 or the Denon AVP but could never convince myself to follow through

Rod#S is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off