Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippon View Post

DVD-A1UD is the final name in Japan, I could reserve it yesterday.
However in Japan the high end DVD player's name is DVD-A1XVA.

Yep, this is a real high-end beauty!

Universal SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray player from Denon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 03:16 AM

I noticed it says "Made in Japan" on the back. Perhaps we dare hope for better build quality and fewer failures on this model...

Mitch

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy
and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks
all those childhood traumas magically wiped away
along with most of your personality
post #183 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 AM

Denon Unveils Universal' BD Player
By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 12/3/2008 12:58:00 PM
Mahwah, N.J. Denon Electronics introduced Thursday what it calls the industry's first universal Blu-ray Disc audio/video player.

The BD-Live-ready DVD-A1UCDI, which will carry a $3,800 suggested retail when it ships in February, will

Denon's new flagship universal Blu-ray Disc player model DVD-A1UCDI ($3,800 suggested retail) .

play back high-quality Blu-ray Disc videos in HD resolution including 1080p and DVD video images, as well as two-channel and multichannel music from CDs, DVD-Audio and SACD discs.

Multichannel signals will be output over the player's dual HDMI outputs, as well as over 7.1-channel audio jacks. In addition, the player offers the option of outputting SACD signals natively in DSD format over a new proprietary Denon Link 4 HDMI connection for decoding by a compatible Denon pre-amp or receiver. Alternatively, the multichannel signals can be transcoded to PCM with full bass management over HDMI, as Sony's PlayStation3 unit does now.

The fourth edition of Denon Link HDMI connection adds a new Denon Flow Control feature, which takes over the master clock and jitter control in Denon's current flagship pre-amp and upcoming Denon A/V receivers.

Denon Link 4 is the company's proprietary, digital audio transmission technology that uses a real-time balanced transmission system to protect the signal from external noise.

Jeff Talmadge, Denon's product development and systems integration director, told TWICE the Flow Control function in the Denon Link system will enable digital signals from optical discs to be transmitted virtually jitter-free and will support the world's first fully-balanced two-channel transmission for analog signals.

Denon is positioning the component as the third piece in its flagship home-entertainment system that also includes the AVP-A1HDCI A/V preamplifier and the POA-A1HDCI 10-channel power amplifier. The latter two began shipping last February. All can be connected and interoperated via the aforementioned Denon Link 4 HDMI transmission technology.

The Denon Link 4 system will be backward compatible with earlier Denon Link components, but will be limited to the capabilities of those earlier models, the company said. Denon Link 4 is based on the HDMI-CEC standard and should also be compatible with most other HDMI-CEC enabled devices.

Denon said it plans to announce a firmware update for the AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI models to support the Denon Link 4 system shortly.

The DVD-A1UCDI will also be Denon's first BD-Live ready player, meaning that it will have the full Blu-ray Profile 2.0 feature specifications following a firmware update. Denon said it plans to make that update available over an Ethernet connection shortly after the player hits the market.

The player will have 1GB of built-in memory to support the BD-Live functionality with no additional memory required; however, it will also include a built-in SD card slot for any additional memory that may be desired and to play digital music and photo files.

For internal video processing, the DVD-A1UDCI includes Silicon Optix's 10-bit Realta HQV chipset with up-conversion and IP scaling via HDMI to 1080p. In addition, Denon's Pixel Image Correction (DPIC), which is an original Denon video-enhancement technology for correcting high-definition images, uses advanced 10-bit processing to further improve detection and precision in the curvature correction of images, the company said.

In addition, the player is equipped with a 14-bit Analog Devices digital-to-analog video converter.

Denon said this will enable detection and processing of the image at the pixel level in the vertical, horizontal and diagonal direction, and is applied to standard images from DVD as well as HD images from Blu-ray discs.

Denon said it has also re-engineered its original Advanced S.V.H. mechanism in developing the player that will support, among other things, advanced networking functionality. Denon said the scheduled BD-Live firmware update will also offer a host of unprecedented 21st century networking facilities.

For audio, the DVD-A1UDCI includes Advanced AL32 processing that will allow digital upsampling of 16-bit and 24-bit digital signals to 32 bits. The player offers full onboard HD Audio decoding from the exclusive DDSC-HD circuitry, as well as allowing for bit stream bypass to HDMI for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio digital transmission to the AVR/AVP for decoding.

The player uses solid direct mechanical ground construction to virtually eliminate vibration. The unit's structure was designed with a low center of gravity for maximum vibration resistance and quiet operation.

The cabinet is composed of a heavy-duty, dual-layer, steel top cover; heavy-duty clamper cover; Zinc die-cast mechanism case; newly developed floating dampers; and a thin aluminum die-cast tray.

The power transformer is placed near the ground and immediately above the insulators to allow direct release to the ground and thoroughly prevent the propagation of unwanted vibration or noise.

The 7.1-channel analog output contacts are made of gold-plated brass. The onboard Ethernet port allows for Internet connectivity, for firmware updates, BD Live interactivity and IP control.

The dual HDMI outputs are fully assignable to allow sending separate audio and video streams to two separate systems or running a program's HDMI audio signal to a processor while the video is sent to a projector.

As with all Denon CI products, third-party control systems can be managed via the RS-232C port.

The HDMI 1.3a connection will also support and Deep Color signal sources.

Denon said it will make the DVD-A1UDCI available to its Fourth Digit Dealers along with the matching flag-ship pre-amp and 10-channel amp.

Denon said that while music labels in recent years have stepped back somewhat in supporting the DVD-Audio and SACD formats with new releases, there are still a few labels out there supporting SACD.

Joe Stinziano, Denon sales and marketing senior VP, said the company hopes that as users become aware of the additional benefits of multichannel sound from the advanced codecs offered in the Blu-ray Disc format, they will begin to seek out the multichannel music discs that are still available.

In addition, a lot of the target customers for the player are expected to already have DVD-Audio and SACD music libraries and will use the new player to update and consolidate older DVD-Audio and SACD equipment with a unit offering Blu-ray compatibility.
post #184 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Means that AVC/AVP-A1HD will have Denon link 4 over firmware update, no need for an hardware up.
Despite the price this A1UD seems fantastic.

No word about 480i to 1080p24 though.
post #185 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 AM

■ フィルムの質感を最大限に引き出す1080/24p出力機能搭載

ブルーレイディスクに記録されたフィルムソースのリアルな映像を再現するために、1080/24pのHDMI出力機能を搭載しています。1080 /24p対応ディスプレイと組み合わせることにより、映画フィルムの質感を最大限に引き出すクオリティーの高い映像が再生されます 。

This part means that you can output blue-ray movie to 1080/24- which the same the film itself. It offers the higher quality.
I think if they could do it for DVD too, they would have they it there. But I am not sure. It may be possible to force it by a way or another
post #186 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Met View Post

The BD-Live-ready DVD-A1UCDI, which will carry a $3,800 suggested retail when it ships in February...
Denon's new flagship universal Blu-ray Disc player model DVD-A1UCDI ($3,800 suggested retail) .

wow, that's a lot lot cheaper than it will be available for in japan...right now it's listed on denon's website at 546,000 yen (tax included), which means at today's exchange rate the price would be about 5800 us dollars.

3800 us dollars? sounds like a steal...or misinformation.
post #187 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Because I haven't followed the development and release of Denon's high end processor and amps, I'm still not sure if this unit is the highest-end they will go, or will there be a higher end unit released later?

I was burned when I first went through the upgrade path from the 2900 to the 5900 to the 5910, so I'm a little leary right now.

Dave

post #188 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolalajp View Post

Perhaps if you compared it to the Pioneer, Sony at $2,000 with better load times and picture quality or other top models you might not feel that way or perhaps you were being facetious and it went over my head?
post #189 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

The question is: for the video part is this a "reworked" 3800 or not?
post #190 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post

The question is: for the video part is this a "reworked" 3800 or not?

Since they mention a bunch of key items that make it different than the 3800 in the above press release I would guess not. Of course I'd actually like to be wrong on this as it would make it an ideal unit if they had significantly improved the load time and video performance over the 3800.

I thought I read somewhere they were demoing it unveiling it tomorrow Dec 5. Maybe then we'll find out for sure.
post #191 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 AM

Ok. $3800 US dollars is MUCH better. It should be around $4500 Canadian here, assuming Canada is getting this player. Its again on my list to get.

Size: W434 × H151 × D410 mm

or

W17 1/8" x H6" x D16 1/8"
post #192 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im giving it a miss, especially at the price we will have to pay.Not many shops are going to stock this player over here.

Even though I really want DL4, I will probably skip this generation of player and wait for the next one.

Mark
post #193 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolalajp View Post

wow, that's a lot lot cheaper than it will be available for in japan...right now it's listed on denon's website at 546,000 yen (tax included), which means at today's exchange rate the price would be about 5800 us dollars.

Compared to EU prices it makes sense

Price: EU (Germany) and US
DVD-A1UD €3999 / $ 3800
DVD-3800BD(CI) €1999 / $ 1999
DVD-2500BT(CI) €1099 / $ 899
DVD-1800BD(CI) €699 / $ 599

EU press release

Premium Silver (Hi Def :-)

Black (Hi Def :-)

Back (Hi Def :-)
post #194 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Perhaps if you compared it to the Pioneer, Sony at $2,000 with better load times and picture quality or other top models you might not feel that way or perhaps you were being facetious and it went over my head?

I think he was being serious--There was speculation it was much higher. And the Sony and Pioneer don't do SACD or DVD-A. Kind of a deal breaker for some of us who want a truly universal player.

Dave

post #195 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Even though I really want DL4, I will probably skip this generation of player and wait for the next one.

Mark

My gut feeling is that this may be the last universal player we see from Denon. At this price and build level I expect it to stay in their inventory as the only universal player for a good two years, and by then DVD-Audio will be so far in the past the market to support it won't justify adding it to newer models.
post #196 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Hopefully it will decode Dolby EX and DTS-ES as 7.1 analog.
post #197 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post

At this price and build level I expect it to stay in their inventory as the only universal player for a good two years, and by then DVD-Audio will be so far in the past the market to support it won't justify adding it to newer models.

I'm wondering if the price was set when they were going to make it a universal player that could play HD DVD as well and they forgot to adjust it down when they skipped that component.
post #198 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No mention on any improvement in load up times so the Sony 5000ES may have it beat in that department but lets wait and see.
post #199 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhollywood View Post

At this price and build level I expect it to stay in their inventory as the only universal player for a good two years, and by then DVD-Audio will be so far in the past the market to support it won't justify adding it to newer models.

I'm still not 100% on all the features of BR yet. Can you tell me if there would be a sound quality difference between a DVD-A, SACD and DTS-MA recording of the same piece of music?

Thanks
post #200 of 3625 Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

So is this essentially a 39xx plus BD or a 5910 plus BD?

If 39, it's a jump up in price, if 5910, about the same, which makes me suspect it''s a step DOWN in build quality compared to the 5910, which would make it a lesser player than their previous flagship, but with the addition of Blu-Ray.

Hope someone can convince me I'm wrong.

Dave

post #201 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

No mention on any improvement in load up times so the Sony 5000ES may have it beat in that department but lets wait and see.

Yes and at a good price too.You know the price we pay for this Denon over here you will be able to get the Pioneer Flagship and the Sony Flagship and still have change.

Frank

post #202 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I'm still not 100% on all the features of BR yet. Can you tell me if there would be a sound quality difference between a DVD-A, SACD and DTS-MA recording of the same piece of music?

Thanks

I remeber someone telling me that DTS HD MA is equal or better(forgot which one) than SACD of the same recording.

Frank

post #203 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I remeber someone telling me that DTS HD MA is equal or better(forgot which one) than SACD of the same recording.

Thanks, if that is true, and DTS-MA seems more common than SACD playback capabilities on most players, what would be the advantage of them making an SACD disc or DVD A disc at this point? I realize a couple of years ago it didn't exist so making SACD discs would make more sense then.
post #204 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

So is this essentially a 39xx plus BD or a 5910 plus BD?

If 39, it's a jump up in price, if 5910, about the same, which makes me suspect it''s a step DOWN in build quality compared to the 5910, which would make it a lesser player than their previous flagship, but with the addition of Blu-Ray.

Hope someone can convince me I'm wrong.

According to this article http:///www.hometheaterhifi.com/foru...ead.php?t=7085 this is the successor to the 5910 and according to the Denon US website it is the same price as the 5910 as it lists that for $3800.

Rod

post #205 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Apparantely my link doesn't work so here is the URL,

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum...ead.php?t=7085

Rod

post #206 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Apparantely my link doesn't work so here is the URL,

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum...ead.php?t=7085

Rod

The section on DL4, (pasted below) is not totally clear if it supports DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD. The reason I am doubting the clarity of the article, is due to the fact that I saw this article: http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...lu_ray_player/ which had this sentence:

Denon Link 4 can pass through all the decoding via the supplied Cat 5 cable except for the HD versions and they toss in an HDMI cable for those data-rich Dolby and dts formats.

Mark

Quote:

DENON LINK 4th Edition Further Enhances Audio and Video Performance
In yet another major advancement, the DVD-A1UDCI features the new DENON LINK 4th Edition digital interface, which significantly enhances both video and audio quality. DENON LINK 4th fully supports all digital audio transmission specifications, including SACD as well as CD and DVD-Audio. The 4th Edition of DENON LINK adds the exclusive Denon Flow Control feature; when using the HDMI interface for A/V output, Denon Flow Control takes over the Master Clock and Jitter control - a feature that will be especially useful when used with upcoming Denon A/V receivers. DENON LINK is a proprietary, high-quality digital audio transmission technology that utilizes a real-time balanced transmission system to protect the signal from external noise. With the new advanced DENON LINK 4th used in an HDMI connection, as well as for HD audio read from Blu-ray discs, the master clock that operates the D/A converter of the A/V surround amplifier is transmitted to the player, enabling the circuitry to be operated while sharing the same clock, thereby achieving digital audio transmission with virtually no jitter. Sound localization becomes more precise, and a greater sense of space is produced in the sound images. When combined with a Denon A/V surround sound receiver that supports DENON LINK 4th, users will now be able to enjoy the absolute maximum level of sonic quality possible with HD audio. Denon will make available a DENON LINK 4 upgrade for customers of the AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI; details to be announced shortly after the launch of the DVD-A1HDCI.

post #207 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Does/Will the 4308ci support DenonLink 4?
post #208 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM

Looks like only the Denon AVP-A1HDCI Pre-Pro will accept DenonLink4.
Too bad for most of us Denon receiver owners of 5xxx and 4xxx models.
post #209 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Liked: 12
I'm confused... I have a 4308ci. If I get this new unit, will there be a way to pass DVD-Audio and SACD signals digitally (i.e. via HDMI or DenonLink 3)? Or will I still have to rely on the analog connections?
post #210 of 3625 Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

I'm confused... I have a 4308ci. If I get this new unit, will there be a way to pass DVD-Audio and SACD signals digitally (i.e. via HDMI or DenonLink 3)? Or will I still have to rely on the analog connections?

You would definitely still be able to use HDMI.

DL4 is backwords compatible with DL3, so your DL3 receiver will work with this DL4 player. However, the capabilities will be limited to DL3 specifications.

Mark
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page