The Official Pioneer BDP-51FD Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 749 Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought i would officialy start a thread since I just picked up the pioneer bdp-51 from the best buy/ magnolia. First impressions. The player has the nice typical pioneer gloss black finish. The player does bitstream dts hd ma and true hd out of the box. The player i got does not have the final version of firmware. I have to call pioneer about getting the final version. Ive been told the 2nd shipment should have the final firmware, however im not sure if thats true or not. In terms of standard dvd player im impressed. I currently have a bdp 1400 and ps3 and i can say the upconversion is on par with my xa2 and the 79avi. I havent had much time to dial it in yet but i will report back when i have more time. Here are a few pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Audiophreak,
Thanks for starting the new thread. I was getting tired of the
conversation on the 05/51 thread, but didn't have anywhere
else to go until now.
It is my hope this thread will focus on the Pioneer 51, and not
the babble of speculation.
Jack

INSANITY: Doing the same thing again and
again and expecting different results each time. (AE)
post #3 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am rather surprised by the 1 minute load time you're experiencing with Blu-ray disc...speed was supposed to be a prominent feature in this new Pio. I hope Ruined will take note of this during the shootout and explore this a little further.
post #4 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I am rather surprised by the 1 minute load time you're experiencing with Blu-ray disc...speed was supposed to be a prominent feature in this new Pio. I hope Ruined will take note of this during the shootout and explore this a little further.

Yep. I plan to bring several sample movies and a stopwatch

It would be quite a bit disappointing if Pioneer focused on load times with this player as was stated in the past and could not match a BD30 in speed.

On the other hand, the first report looks like this player murders the Panasonics in upscaling (and hence probably deinterlacing 1080i BD discs too).
post #5 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Let's just hope the final firmware version makes loading times faster... I am still hoping this is the player to beat (at least for in my set up )...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Let's just hope the final firmware version makes loading times faster... I am still hoping this is the player to beat (at least for in my set up )...

I wonder is it perhaps the 05 thats meant to be the faster player ?

anyways hopefully they get the 1m disc load time to under 30 sec to atleast match the pana players.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure what is up with those load times, I thought I read where Walkamo had already tested a few disks and it was much faster than that.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #8 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

If audiophreak's player lacks final firmware and is slow at loading, which firmware was Walkamo using months ago when he got speedy load times?
post #9 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

If audiophreak's player lacks final firmware and is slow at loading, which firmware was Walkamo using months ago when he got speedy load times?

So i called pioneer this morning, about getting the final firmware and i guess i got a demo unit. These are suppose to be demos only not for sale... Since the store i bought it from had 19 others. Im going to call them and have them open one up and see if does the same thing... Mabie it does pay to wait a bit...Either way, im going to keep this one to test untill they get the ones with the final firmware.
post #10 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I need some help understanding this "load time" thing (I will be getting my first high def player when the 51 arrives from Robert) .
Are we talking about the time from pressing the tray button to close until Main Menu pops up, or pressing the Play button
from the Main Menu to the start of the movie? (probably the latter).
What's on the screen during this minute of load time. Just a blank screen or the players logo?
And is this a problem because of the Java software or on all discs? And how does this load time compare to the first gen players?
Thanks for any insight?
Jack

INSANITY: Doing the same thing again and
again and expecting different results each time. (AE)
post #11 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM

Jack,

Well, on my PS3 that I'm currently using for blu-ray, I get a stylized "progress bar" for movies when they are loading. They are usually designed in the style of the movie and quite nice graphically...but the thing only blips up on the screen for about 3-5 seconds, and then the movie starts. Ratatouille did take the longest I've seen so far, but I sure dont think the progress bar was up there for 10 seconds. I wonder why the PS3 is able to load things so fast, but stand alone players cant. I only bought the PS3 to tide me over until this Pioneer arrived, but now I'm thinking I may want to just keep the PS3 and cancel my order for the Pioneer given the bass management issues and load time issues. Hard to decide what to do but the player looks nice at any rate.

"Video games do NOT affect kids. If they did, all the kids that played Pac-man in the 80's would be running around in the dark, listening to repetetive electronic music, and eating magic pills!"
post #12 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeart View Post

Jack,

Well, on my PS3 that I'm currently using for blu-ray, I get a stylized "progress bar" for movies when they are loading. They are usually designed in the style of the movie and quite nice graphically...but the thing only blips up on the screen for about 3-5 seconds, and then the movie starts. I wonder why the PS3 is able to load things so fast, but stand alone players cant. I only bought the PS3 to tide me over until this Pioneer arrived, but now I'm thinking I may want to just keep the PS3 and cancel my order for the Pioneer given the bass management issues and load time issues. Hard to decide what to do but the player looks nice at any rate.

Simple, the PS3 has the CELL processor while stand alone don't.
post #13 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

I went back and looked at Walkamo's post, he said nothing about load times. He gave times for power on, tray open and power off.
post #14 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
As much as I hate long load times, I am more sensitive to responsiveness after the disk is loaded, because you do that more often. I found the time it took the Samsung POS to load the disc menu intolerable. I am also interested in the time it takes to display the player's menus.
post #15 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

As much as I hate long load times, I am more sensitive to responsiveness after the disk is loaded, because you do that more often. I found the time it took the Samsung POS to load the disc menu intolerable. I am also interested in the time it takes to display the player's menus.

You have a good point, mrjktcvs. No one should jump the gun, especially when there are many other features to consider.
post #16 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Audiophreak,

Thanks for taking the time to share all this new information. It will make the VE shootout more interesting now that we have an idea what to look for.
post #17 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hi Everyone,

The BDP-51FD that some of you have gotten your hands on were not intended to be sold yet. They were meant for demonstration only. The final firmware is not yet completed..

It should be done around the 29th of July...

Please wait until the final firmware is complete before making any conclusions about picture quality or load times... Everything is not complete yet on those models.. The hardware is 100% complete.. Just not the firmware...

Thanks,

Chris Walker
post #18 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

Hi Everyone,

The BDP-51FD that some of you have gotten your hands on were not intended to be sold yet. They were meant for demonstration only. The final firmware is not yet completed..

Please wait until the final firmware is complete before making any conclusions about picture quality or load times... Everything is not complete yet on those models.. The hardware is 100% complete.. Just not the firmware...

Thanks,

Chris Walker

WOW! Thanks, Chris!
post #19 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Chris Walker

Chris --

Does that mean you don't expect to ship any more units out before July 29th?

The suspense is killing me here

post #20 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Chris Walker

So maybe all of the bitching and moaning about the BM here might have been heard, and the FW updated accordingly......?

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #21 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Robert,

Please don't cancel the shootout. I want to see the Pio in action. Just hold off remarks about load times.
post #22 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Robert,

Please don't cancel the shootout. I want to see the Pio in action. Just hold off remarks about load times.

Nothing could stop us from demonstrating this player. I can tell you when the 36 Bit sign lit up on the Pure Dot-To-Dot mode everyone got very excited.

-Robert
post #23 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Is the player profile 2.0 or 1.1?

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #24 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Is the player profile 2.0 or 1.1?

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #25 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Chris Walker

Robert. Will your first shipment then include the final firmware as indicated by Chris? Will it include DTS HD and MA internal decoding or are we still going to need a future update?
post #26 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

Thanks!
Do you know if it is 2.0 ready like the Sony S350?

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #27 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Thanks!
Do you know if it is 2.0 ready like the Sony S350?

To my knowledge, it is not 2.0 ready, but limited to 1.1 (not sure if it's a hardware issue). Actually, that is why I am interested in it (no internet capability)...

Peace... Vader

post #28 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
No! For a product launching in Aug. 2008 this is utterly ridiculous. If I were running Pioneer someone would be out of a job. The 1.1 player should have launched last Nov.
post #29 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

No! For a product launching in Aug. 2008 this is utterly ridiculous. If I were running Pioneer someone would be out of a job. The 1.1 player should have launched last Nov.

You're a little late to the party. Many of us here like the 51FD because it's NOT 2.0 - among other reasons, of course.

post #30 of 749 Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRO-630HD

hmmm.... shown for the first time in January at CES 2008, press released in May 2008.. Product release date late July/early August.... yeah, "utterly ridiculous"...

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page