Certain Blu-ray movies won't play on my Sony BDP-S500 player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, let me say that I am not a very technically-savvy person. I have had this Sony BDP-S500 Blu-ray player for about a year now and every now and then I get a Blu-ray DVD from Netflix that I can't watch (most recently the movie "21"). It tries to load but never gets to the main menu screen. It normally puts a small little picture of something from the movie on the screen but it just sticks there and never gets to the main menu. Do I need to download some SW updates or something? Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It sounds like you need to get firmware updated. If Sony is like Toshiba, they should have a firmware page where you can download the firmware from their website. They should also have the option to mail you a firmware update disc (the details should be on their website).
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ovation. I downloaded firmware onto both a CD and a DVD and my Sony Blu-ray player won't load either. It says "cannot load disc" on the TV screen and on the Blu-ray player itself it says "Data Disc". Any suggestions? thx
post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbaer View Post

Thanks, Ovation. I downloaded firmware onto both a CD and a DVD and my Sony Blu-ray player won't load either. It says "cannot load disc" on the TV screen and on the Blu-ray player itself it says "Data Disc". Any suggestions? thx

The file inside the download is a disc image file (.iso). You need to use software that allows you to burn a disc image to a disc and not just copy it. If you just copy the file to a disc it will not work. A disc image creates a disc that would be the same as if they sent you an upgrade disc.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 AM

I had same problem with downloading and creating my own firmware disc. I've had to order free CD from Sony for both firmware upgrades. By the way, neither have resolved the problem loading the Netflix BlyRay disc.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-01-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Dizzyone:

First and foremost welcome to AVS. I appreciate you using the search engine to find prev. posts and using that thread to bump vs starting a brand new thread on the same topic. That's much appreciated.

Since this thread was created, we've restructured this area of the forum with "master" threads or owners threads to consolidate on the questions and comments on each specific player. Your player's master thread is here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=sony

I can't move your specific post, so I'll ask that you cut and paste your question within the master thread linked above.

Thanks and again welcome
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page