LG BD300 BD-Live player with Netflix video streaming support - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 474 Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones2416 View Post

Is anyone having issues with the 24 HZ on this player? I have the LG 70 with this player and when I put it on 24 HZ it is actually like someone is pressing pause and play really quick and the picture stutters along. I updated firmware like a week ago but I have not noticed it until today. We usually do not watch movies on this set so I am not sure if it was the firmware or an inherant problem with the player.

I have seent his happen when the 24fps or film mode is set to on and not to auto. not all movies are 24fps and i have seen this stutter when the players are trying to force it on regular dvs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 474 Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is not a auto feature. It forces you to choose 24 or 60. It seems to happen alot on animated features like Cars. Not sure I could tell the diffrence between 24 and 60 so I guess I will have to leave it on 60HZ
post #273 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 AM

Here is my question to current owners. I was planning on buying this player because of the netflix option. I would have to use wirelessly. I am getting the feeling that I may be better off getting the Roku player for $99 (a little more expensive than a bridge) and another Blu ray player like the Panny or Sony 350. It would be a little more expensive, but with less problem? What do you think?

Thanks
post #274 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I have had absolutely no problems with this BD300, but am fortunate that its Internet connection is wired.

That said, I just looked at all of the HD content Netflix offers, and the movies are almost entirely ones you've never heard of. It's probably useful if you are a few seasons behind on The Office or CSI:Miami, but the HD movies are useless. Hopefully they will get more.
post #275 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 PM

I'm trying to help a friend out with one of these BD300 things.

THe software updated last night to Driver version H42001 and software version BD.8.11.480.

I've exhausted all checks on cables and it seems it can connect to the local router, but it can't get out to the internet. I've tested the router hooking up two laptops to it via the same cables and they can get out to the internet, so I don't know what to do.

Can I roll back the driver/software? Make it go back to factory specs?

I was liking this player, but this is making me steer clear of all LG. Their website for support info is abysmal.
post #276 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know how to roll back. I assume you've unplugged the box and let it sit for 2 minutes or so?
post #277 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how to use bookmarks, or get the DVD/Blu-Ray to resume playing in the same place where you stopped or powered off? Doesn't seem like that a feature they should leave out. Guess I may have to get out the manual.
post #278 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

I don't know how to roll back. I assume you've unplugged the box and let it sit for 2 minutes or so?

It updated last night, but we didn't try to use Netflix streaming until today. We had fixed a new shelf for my friend's 47" flatscreen and the LG300 so it was unplugged for a few hours today. We hooked everything back up and first we suspected we'd damaged the ethernet cable because we moved it up along the top of the room where it had been on the floor temporarily.

We hooked up laptops to the ethernet and they all connected no problem.

The software update for the player seems to connect and reports no new updates. When we unplug the ethernet it says it can't find any connection, but seems to go through a normal search for updates.

However Netflix had defied every attempt to connect and we tried everything, deauthorising it and we planned to see if that worked but now we are kicked into the sign up or enter your code screen, but still can't connect.

It says it sees the local network which means it's getting to the router, we can go on every laptop we have here out of that router to the net either wireless or plugged in so that's good. We even verified we could stream both ways via the laptops, but the BD300 refuses to connect.

Anyone know if there's some trick or menu I'm missing?

As it is it's set to dynamic IP where it was the other day when it did work. The only thing we can think of is the update to the new software last night nuked something.
post #279 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gump View Post

However Netflix had defied every attempt to connect and we tried everything, deauthorising it and we planned to see if that worked but now we are kicked into the sign up or enter your code screen, but still can't connect.

I'm having some trouble understanding your English. However, if you got a code on your BD300, then you have successfully connected to Netflix.

post #280 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't think of anything you're missing. Would be interesting to try the same box in a different house (different Internet connection), or roll back the software if at all possible...not that you should have to go through that stuff...
post #281 of 474 Old 12-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:

I can't think of anything you're missing. Would be interesting to try the same box in a different house (different Internet connection), or roll back the software if at all possible...not that you should have to go through that stuff...

Well, the internet connection is fine in here, we have connected the laptops to the Ethernet cable the BD300 is using and we get a perfectly good connection over it. Even the update thing for the machines software seems to connect because if we put the cable into the player it checks and says no new updates found, but if we unplug it it says no connection, so it's as though the software for the Netflix side is the part that's glitchy.

I can't find an option to rollback the software, or a place to download previous versions or how to manually install a previous version on the LG site. The L site page for the player is mostly about touting how great it is, but I don't see any links to troubleshooting and the like.

I'm stumped. Its not my player, I'm just staying here at my friend's house and she is crestfallen that after we built this nice shelf for all her gear this weekend that the Netflix doesn't work now.

It's certainly made me glad I've never bought anything LG and now it's made me never want to buy anything LG.
post #282 of 474 Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

...if we put the cable into the player it checks and says no new updates found, but if we unplug it it says no connection...

So when the Ethernet cable is in, you can connect to the Internet, and when it is not, you can't. No offense, but right now this sounds like user-error to me. You must have the Ethernet cable plugged in to use the Netflix service.

post #283 of 474 Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josuah View Post

So when the Ethernet cable is in, you can connect to the Internet, and when it is not, you can't. No offense, but right now this sounds like user-error to me. You must have the Ethernet cable plugged in to use the Netflix service.

Did you even read my post? The point was that testing out the BD side of the software py plugging in and then unplugging the cable tested that the BD Software update side of the machine was connecting either hardware or software wise and could establish an internet connection, but the Netflix part has stopped working properly.

We spent several hours on the phone back and forth with LG and Netflix until we finally got a tech that said ship it back because there's no way to roll back the driver and something must have gone wrong durning the last driver update on Friday.

So my friend has a paperweight awaiting a shipping label by snail mail, I advised her to get her money back and buy a Roku box and a non LG Blu-Ray and never buy anything LG again. This POS was only two weeks out of the box and it's already belly-up.
post #284 of 474 Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:

I have had absolutely no problems with this BD300, but am fortunate that its Internet connection is wired.

That said, I just looked at all of the HD content Netflix offers, and the movies are almost entirely ones you've never heard of. It's probably useful if you are a few seasons behind on The Office or CSI:Miami, but the HD movies are useless. Hopefully they will get more.

Quote:

v480 is not mandatory update. so, It can be roll back.
at
" //us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp "
search for key words 'BD300' and download BD.8.11.425.
copy that a USB or Disc. it's just a piece of cake.
post #285 of 474 Old 12-15-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Did you even read my post? The point was that testing out the BD side of the software py plugging in and then unplugging the cable tested that the BD Software update side of the machine was connecting either hardware or software wise and could establish an internet connection, but the Netflix part has stopped working properly.

Sorry, I didn't see anything about BD-Live in your post. Honestly your sentences are hard for me to understand. Sorry, my bad.

post #286 of 474 Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I got this player yesterday.
My firmware update took me 4 mins max. Not a hitch.
My netflixs acct worked instantly and the HD stuff looks preety decent.
The blurays look great as well.
I have a panny bd-35, this replaced a Sony BDP-350...I have had panny bd30, and samsung bd1400 and 1500.
This players setup and menu is better than most of them and it plays just as good.
Only things I have NOT tested are 1080p24 (my display is not 24hrz) and sddvd upconversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josuah View Post

Honestly your sentences are hard for me to understand. Sorry, my bad.

lol Ditto.
post #287 of 474 Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Hey W3bby which one do you recommend out of the LG -bd300 or Panny bd-35?
I am looking into buying one of these.
The LG sounds good since it has more features like netflix.
What one do you like better so far for overall performance?
Thanks!
post #288 of 474 Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

We spent several hours on the phone back and forth with LG and Netflix until we finally got a tech that said ship it back because there's no way to roll back the driver and something must have gone wrong durning the last driver update on Friday.

So my friend has a paperweight awaiting a shipping label by snail mail, I advised her to get her money back and buy a Roku box and a non LG Blu-Ray and never buy anything LG again. This POS was only two weeks out of the box and it's already belly-up.

Using a period in your sentences might help.
post #289 of 474 Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega77 View Post

Hey W3bby which one do you recommend out of the LG -bd300 or Panny bd-35?
I am looking into buying one of these.
The LG sounds good since it has more features like netflix.
What one do you like better so far for overall performance?
Thanks!

So far they seem on par PQ wise with Blu...I like the LG menu much better.
I have not looked at SDDVD quality on the LG. I do really dig the netflix part quite a bit!
post #290 of 474 Old 12-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:

THe software updated last night to Driver version H42001 and software version BD.8.11.480.

I've exhausted all checks on cables and it seems it can connect to the local router, but it can't get out to the internet. I've tested the router hooking up two laptops to it via the same cables and they can get out to the internet, so I don't know what to do.

I was liking this player, but this is making me steer clear of all LG. Their website for support info is abysmal.

Under "settings" is a "factory default" choice. I believe that it resets the NetFlix device ID, so you'll need to get a new ID for the BD300 to re-establish the account on the unit.
post #291 of 474 Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM

I've had the unit for nearly two weeks now and while I've seen two firmware updates, neither have detracted from the devices performance.

I would agree that having a wired Ethernet connectoin is the way to go.

Only downside is the shortage of memory in the unit - to facilitate BDLive activity. I don't mind adding a 2 GB USB flash drive, but did they have to put the only USB port on the front - the USB drive sticking out ruins the clean lines
post #292 of 474 Old 12-20-2008, 11:21 AM

After skimming 200+ posts in this thread, I'm just curious as to a general consensus;

Received an LG BD300 from an office holiday party, which was a nice surprise. Though the Mrs and I had a Samsung 2550 on our holiday wishlist for each other.

Generally speaking, would it be wise to return the LG for the Samsung? Any reasons in particular why/why not?

Thanks.

**Edit - I should have mentioned that we do have an HDMI based receiver (Yamaha 3800), which will handle all of the decoding. The Pandora feature isn't all that interesting for us, but the Netflix streaming is integral.
post #293 of 474 Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Since your reciever is going to do the processing, I would just keep the LG. I have the same combo, but I cannot use the LG until after Xmas, since that is my present!!! Let me know if you use yours or not.
post #294 of 474 Old 12-22-2008, 06:37 PM

I seem to have an issue with what format of sound to use for output from BD300. I have my BD300 hooked to Sony HT-CT100 via HDMI and thru the Sony, I send my video to Panasonic plasma. My problem is, I have tried all settings(primary pass through, PCM, PCM MultiCh, and DTS-ReEncode) from BD300 to send audio to HT-CT100 but none of them delivers Dolby Digital sound, my CT100 always shows PCM and 2.1Ch, irrespective of whether I am playing a Blu-ray or SD-DVD. Could anyone please help me choose the audio output format.
post #295 of 474 Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM

I got it tonight, it will be my first unit, for $249 at my local Frys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Under $500 ?? I was really interested in this player until the Xbox360 announcement, and my parents would still be interested in this player, but when they say "under $500" it suggest to me they're looking at a price of $450-499. No way am I going to pay that much, Blu-Ray manufacturers really need to hit sub $300 for the upcoming holiday season.

post #296 of 474 Old 12-23-2008, 04:11 PM

I have this IO data player. Still love it! it is special to me since I can stream HD-Divx files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Yes, no wireless is too bad, though what I'm more interested in is it becoming a Bluray version of something like the IO Data LinkPlayer networked DVD player. That thing could play almost anything stored on your network and stream it to the player in addition to local DVDs or USB connected drives/devices. It came w/ its own server software to run on the PC(s), but I used a 3rd party server called Wizd that was nicer and also worked with the Linkplayer. LG I hope would allow streaming from a networked PC but it's not known now if this will work or not on this device. I'd love to know.

post #297 of 474 Old 12-25-2008, 12:32 AM

I am having the same issue!

Actually, I tested everything that I could put my hands on: it played PAL DVDs, excellent DVD playback, nice Audio CD playback, no VCD support, no SVCD support, no CD-Text or CD+G support, mp3 and wma and jpg from USB drive good-no ID3 tags though, slideshow with music, a piece of cake.

Before testing BD Live (on the Mamma Mia disc) and Netflix, I did the suggested updates showing on the screen. From an original Driver Version H41900 it went to H42001. The original SW version went from BD.8.11.312 to BD.8.11.480.

Neither BD Live (yes, a 2Gb thumbdrive and additional updates were applied per the disc) nor Netflix (it activates and shows my queue) are working. BD Live just makes the unit to freeze (power or eject, I mean, nothing responds) and after selecting play on a Netflix movie it claims not been conected to the internet! After all this updates? No way! Even my Toshiba HD-DVD connencts, and so is my IO Data Avelink player!

Using LAN cables directly connected to my router.

Per Netflix site, my "video quality is High" on the PC and on the laptop that also connects to the same router. Their link to Speakeasy Speed Test reveals a "Download Speed: 5144 kbps (643 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 651 kbps (81.4 KB/sec transfer rate). I think my connection complies with Netflix recommended speeds ("To watch movies instantly via your PC or Netflix Ready device, we recommend a broadband connection providing at least 700 Kbps . The faster your connection, the better the quality. For DVD quality video and audio, you need a connection providing at least 2.4 Mbps.").

I think that for $249 I got a lemon that goes back to the store the day after Christmas.

Reverting to an older SW through the thumbdrive did not help.

Quote:

post #298 of 474 Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 AM

I'd check that you've got a good router. There are lots of garbage routers on the market. One of the biggest pieces of garbage ever created, the westell versalink 327w, is in use within millions of homes and is responsible for many internet connectivity problems. A bad router will cause serious problems with dumb embedded devices like the LG BD300. I've seen routers that for unknown reasons cease to offer DHCP leases to particular computers, mysteriously cease to do port forwarding, drop packets to certain machines, stop working on wireless, repeatedly crash and require daily resets.

So far the cheapest and most stable consumer grade router I found was a linksys WRT-54G version 8 flashed with DD-WRT firmware. With the factory firmware the router was garbage and caused problems. After installing DD-WRT I get months worth of uptime and no crashes, even with heavy bittorent traffic.

I'd recommend setting the BD300 to use a static IP address. DHCP servers/clients in general are quirky and make certain assumptions on how the client/server will format and time requests/replies. Sometimes neither the DHCP server nor the client completely implement standard protocol and result in a situation where no handshake at all will occur.
post #299 of 474 Old 12-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Done that too. All my devices have a reserved IP address assignment on the Dlink DIR-628 router.

The fact that the unit freezes on BD Live (eject or power bottoms become non functional, have to pull the power line to reset it) should be a sign of a lemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyager View Post

I'd check that you've got a good router. There are lots of garbage routers on the market. One of the biggest pieces of garbage ever created, the westell versalink 327w, is in use within millions of homes and is responsible for many internet connectivity problems. A bad router will cause serious problems with dumb embedded devices like the LG BD300. I've seen routers that for unknown reasons cease to offer DHCP leases to particular computers, mysteriously cease to do port forwarding, drop packets to certain machines, stop working on wireless, repeatedly crash and require daily resets.

So far the cheapest and most stable consumer grade router I found was a linksys WRT-54G version 8 flashed with DD-WRT firmware. With the factory firmware the router was garbage and caused problems. After installing DD-WRT I get months worth of uptime and no crashes, even with heavy bittorent traffic.

I'd recommend setting the BD300 to use a static IP address. DHCP servers/clients in general are quirky and make certain assumptions on how the client/server will format and time requests/replies. Sometimes neither the DHCP server nor the client completely implement standard protocol and result in a situation where no handshake at all will occur.

post #300 of 474 Old 12-26-2008, 01:58 AM

I gave more thoughts to the router as an option to my problems on connectivity. I connected the BD300 directly to the DSL modem and it streamed like a charm from Netflix, even their HD material. BD live connected quite fast too. When back to the Dlink DIR-628 router, no connectivity. Found a fix in a review placed in a popular web site and now it streams through the router. Here is what I did:

"By A. Maddux (FL, USA)

I bought this player, looking forward to HD movies and Netflix. When I got the player, it constantly indicated it was connected to the Internet, but then failed to use the connection. For instance, it indicated it found a firmware update, but any attempt to download it, resulted in an error downloading the file, because it could not connect.

I had similar results with Netflix. The Instant Queue appeared without images. Streaming a video once again resulted in a message that a connection could not be established. Google turns up issues with the DIR-655 and this player unless your roll back to the earliest versions (which had many other issues). Everything works fine if the router is removed and the player connects directly to the modem. Oddly enough, once you get the Netflix connection working this way, you can insert the router between the player and the cable router and it works fine until it is rebooted. LG's Tech support was useless and lacked any knowledge of their player. The tech indicated that the player made no attempt to connect out to the internet, but only accepted incoming connections.

It seems most have no issues with the LG, but if you are using Dlink network equipment, there appears to be a conflict in either the Dlink or the LG. Note, I tried both a wired and wireless bridge connection with the same results.

Update:
After hooking up a packet sniffer, it appears the LG player is not compatible with the DNS Server built into the DLink firmware I am using (DIR 655 1.20). LG Tech Support was unable to assist. After discovering the issue, I manually set a static address and pointed the player to my IP providers DNS Server (skipping the local cached server) and the player now works well. Overall, a better BlueRay player than the Samsung player and cheaper. With the exception of this issue, the LG player is much better."
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd300 Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page