LG BD300 BD-Live player with Netflix video streaming support - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 474 Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got to take a look at a BD300 today at a Best Buy. I see it has no fan at all. It looks like it is still based on the same Broadcom chip the BH200 is and the new Samsung 1500. I had a Samsung 1500 and returned it because you could cook an egg on the bottom of the player- it too did not have a fan and they used the metal chassis of the player as a heatsink. I have to wonder if the new BD300 will be hot also. I am not talking warm- you could burn yourself on the Samsung 1500. It's too bad if the LG uses the same design.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 474 Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by torcher View Post

The cnet article rated the blu-ray output acceptable at 1080p24 and poor at 1080p60.Perhaps I should have mentioned that my Sony xbr2 lcd only does 60hz.The sd-dvd performance is just poor.

I do not seek perfection at this price range-merely competence.Cheaper blu-ray players from other manufacturers seem to pass the HQV benchmarks with relative ease.

I too am curious if the PQ can be ugraded through a future firmware update but I'm not willing to buy a player and pray for help that may never come.

The BH200 breezes through the benchmarks. I guess they dropped more than just the HD DVD support. I still can't believe these (*cough* Broadcom) manufacturers are still releasing players w/ buggy de-interlacing chips.
post #183 of 474 Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I love the idea of the Netflix but have decided against the 300 for a few reasons. 1) The front port only USB (yes, it's a big deal to me), 2) the shoddy playback and 3) no DTS HD MA decoding. I am returning my BDP-S350 and going with a Panny DMP-35 based on overall reviews. I will buy a separate Netflix player.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #184 of 474 Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
>>> The cnet article rated the blu-ray output acceptable at 1080p24 and poor at 1080p60.

How can the quality be poor since this is a digital system. It should either read the bits properly or not. What am I missing? I would think that for a 1080p blu-ray disc, that the digital bits would just be output directly via HDMI without any processing (yes, I know not all discs are 1080p.)

Are they just talking about the component outputs? Since I will only be using HDMI going to my 120Hz, 1080p TV, do I even care?

I did see this article (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1077160), but I am not sure this cleared up much. If as Ben says, this is just for SD upscaling, then I guess I probably won't care too much.
post #185 of 474 Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

They referred specifically to SD DVD upscaling as poor. It has alot to do with the chipset. I'm sure that at some point, we will see a full function BDP with Netflix, but for now I'll just go with a Roku box.

post #186 of 474 Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarv View Post

>>> The cnet article rated the blu-ray output acceptable at 1080p24 and poor at 1080p60.

How can the quality be poor since this is a digital system. It should either read the bits properly or not. What am I missing? I would think that for a 1080p blu-ray disc, that the digital bits would just be output directly via HDMI without any processing (yes, I know not all discs are 1080p.)

Are they just talking about the component outputs? Since I will only be using HDMI going to my 120Hz, 1080p TV, do I even care?

I did see this article (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1077160), but I am not sure this cleared up much. If as Ben says, this is just for SD upscaling, then I guess I probably won't care too much.

Hi Caeserv,

If your tv accepts a 1080p signal at 24fs and you are not interested in sd-dvd playback then no you should not care.

Video is recorded on a blu-ray disc (mostly) at 1080p24.To output video at 1080p60 the video must be processed through what's called 3:2 pulldown.It's a pretty complicated thing which I don't fully understand.Apparently neither does LG's engineering staff.

Since your tv has a scan rate of 120fs (you lucky devil!) which is a multiple of 24 Then you can take video straight off the disc with no processing at all and you'll get a blu-ray picture that's near perfect.So if you'll be using a different player for sd-dvd I would recommend the bd-300 for you.

Andy
post #187 of 474 Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks Andy. I just got back from BB where I brought my TV Blink test disc. I had some major issues with the LG and now I doubt I will buy it. I really wanted to like this player but I just can't.

The LG always wants to output 16:9 and I could not find a way to change it to 4:3; other blu-ray players could do this. The video quality of DVDs was really bad....so bad that I would have to keep my existing Panasonic DVD player for normal DVDs. Finally, while the blu-ray playback seemed good (I had no readily available comparison), the fast-forwarding was very primitive, with the display going blank many times so that you could not tell where you were in the recording.

I was able to compare a few other blu-ray units with the test DVD. The Sony S350 was the best of what was available, both in video quality and fast-forwarding. Sadly, I may have to wait for the next generation of players.

Oh yeah...in answer to one other question, the LG gets warm, but certainly not hot.
post #188 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 01:18 AM

Hi Caeserv,

Panny bdp-35+Roku box is just a few happy meals more then the bd-300.State of the art blu-ray at any speed and sd-dvd playback just a hair below the very best.That's what BenJF3 is doing and so am I.

Andy
post #189 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Caeserv,

Panny bdp-35+Roku box is just a few happy meals more then the bd-300.State of the art blu-ray at any speed and sd-dvd playback just a hair below the very best.That's what BenJF3 is doing and so am I.

Andy

Yep, the Panny is the best bang for the buck player out there. I was going to go for the S550, but decided to use the $100 I'm saving on the Roku box. Also the 35 received CNET's editors choice award. It may not have the pretty menus and fancy graphics, but it is a solid performer for the money, plus you get the full compliment of HD audio decoding!

post #190 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 AM

Dern Tootin'!
post #191 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 AM

I was poking around Samsung's website and was pleasantly suprised by the following information on the SAMSUNG BD-P2500:

"Stream movies instantly to your TV from the Internet, with the SAMSUNG BD-P2500 Blu-ray player. Free with all Netflix unlimited plans, you can now enjoy even more entertainment."

Here is where I found the above information:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...d=BD-P2500/XAA

This is a 5th generation BD player that supports BD Live (Profile 2.0) and Bonus View (Profile 1.1). It comes with 1 GB internal memory with a USB for further expansion and it has an HQV processing chip for SD up-conversion.

I did not realize that this player supported Netflix downloads. It is odd that advertising about this feature is almost non-existent. If the above is true (and not some sort of misprint) then it seems like the BD-P2500 could be a great all around BD player that also supports Netflix.
post #192 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 AM

OK, I just got off a chat session with Samsung. Granted I would not stake a large sum of money on the accuracy of the information I received but it sounds like Netflix support is arriving within a week via firmware upgrade for the BD-P2500, which is why this feature has not yet been heavily advertised. Here are some of the highlights of the chat session:

Jose: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?
Tony: Hi. I was poking around Samsung's website and was pleasantly suprised by the following information on the SAMSUNG BD-P2500: "Stream movies instantly to your TV from the Internet, with the SAMSUNG BD-P2500 Blu-ray player. Free with all Netflix unlimited plans, you can now enjoy even more entertainment."
Jose: yes, that is correct
Tony: However I don't see any mention of Netflix download support anywhere else i.e. on product listings, advertisements, etc.
Tony: Are you 100% sure this is correct?
Jose: we are running the unit right now
Jose: we have it here in out test lab
Jose: it will work with all p2500 come the 28th
Tony: is this because a firmware upgrade needs to be sent out?
Jose: yes
Tony: ah, OK. so that is why the feature is not currently advertised because technically it does not yet exist. But you are saying that within a week it will be available as a free upgrade?
Jose: correct
post #193 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 09:31 AM

I received my BD300 from CC on Tuesday (10-21-08).

I haven't had a chance to watch a movie yet, but I wanted to post about my trouble getting Netflix streaming setup. I am a college student and my school's dorms requires that all networked devices register their MAC addresses with the IT people before they can connect to the Internet. In the BD300's limited option set the unit's MAC address isn't listed. So if you need to figure out your BD300's MAC address you can follow these steps:
  1. Choose static IP under "Network" (on the player) and fill in the information. I based all of the data off of my laptop after going ipconfig /all in the command prompt. Try to guess an IP address that no one else is using.
  2. Use Find Mac Address 1.2 to scan around the IP address I chose, which then gave me my MAC address. The vendor should appear as LG ELECTRONICS, INC. If it doesn't choose a different IP address.

I wanted to put this on the Internet in case someone else could use it.
post #194 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dern Tootin'!

Careful, it seems that Sarah Palin is rubbing off on you!

Wow, that just sound wrong! You betcha ..... crap!

post #195 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM

My company just held a dealer show last weekend and I had 3 of the players running on my displays. No over heating issues. The movies load super fast compared to other blurays. I was using 1080p 24f and displayed a nice clean image. I however do not like that you can not browse on the netflix part thru the player
post #196 of 474 Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 PM

On the LG webpage for the BD300 it says:

Display: Clock Display

I haven't seen any clock on the display. Has anyone? Am I interpreting the row on the page wrong?
post #197 of 474 Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Careful, it seems that Sarah Palin is rubbing off on you!

Wow, that just sound wrong! You betcha ..... crap!

I know about blu-ray.I can see circuit city from my house!
post #198 of 474 Old 10-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Raj

I picked up a BD300 yesterday and I have to say that I'm most pleased.

There was a software update already available - updated the system and then set up Netflix streaming. Very slick and the quality is pretty decent.

Blu Ray disc (1st time I have seen outside of a store) was very nice - (Planet Earth, Disc 1).

SD DVD - seemed fine to me.
post #199 of 474 Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:

I know about blu-ray.I can see circuit city from my house!

Friends, I think "Joe the plumber" would opt for the Samsung BD-P2500.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Sa...c_Access.shtml

post #200 of 474 Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

I think Joe the plumber would perfer the Samsung BD-P2500.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Sa...c_Access.shtml

Well isn't that interesting.... Is the consensus that the Samsung is a better unit?
post #201 of 474 Old 10-23-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj View Post

Well isn't that interesting.... Is the consensus that the Samsung is a better unit?

Interesting indeed.The press said to expect an October surprise and this definitely qualifies.PQ should be better in the 2500/2550 due to the Reon HQV chip.I'm not entirely sure that just using a certain chip makes for PQ better though.No pro reviews on this player yet.No one who's done the update has reported in yet but I'll certainly keep my eye on this one.The Samsung name has never exactly filled me with confidence.But this may be-change I can believe in.

Andy
post #202 of 474 Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 AM

FWIW I did end up punting on the BD300 and got a Panasonic DMP-BD35 instead. Its reviews are stellar, Circuit City had it in stock at internet prices and I effectively eliminated the tax with an 8% off for AAA members coupon. I already own a Roku Netflix Player, and if I want another for the living room I'll buy it standalone. Still glad to see these hybrid BD/Netflix players on the market. Who knows, perhaps like Samsung the Panasonic could get Netflix playback with a firmware update too!
post #203 of 474 Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 AM

If interested in the Samsung BD-P2500/2550 (the latter one is a Bestbuy only version that also includes music streaming via Pandora) there is an active post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14926558

My general feel (from what I have read - nothing hands on mind you) is that this player is superior to BD300. I plan to get one this weekend.
post #204 of 474 Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

If interested in the Samsung BD-P2500/2550 (the latter one is a Bestbuy only version that also includes music streaming via Pandora) there is an active post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14926558

My general feel (from what I have read - nothing hands on mind you) is that this player is superior to BD300. I plan to get one this weekend.

Hi Tony,

Great! I look forward to reading about your impressions.Particularly interested in your views on picture quality of the Samsung player vs the Roku box on Netflix downloads.If they're about the same I'll do the Panny+Roku combo.If the Sammy is noticably better I'll get it.

Andy
post #205 of 474 Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Hi Tony,

Great! I look forward to reading about your impressions.Particularly interested in your views on picture quality of the Samsung player vs the Roku box on Netflix downloads.If they're about the same I'll do the Panny+Roku combo.If the Sammy is noticably better I'll get it.

Andy

My Roku player is now for sale on eBay. I really like the Samsung BD-2550 player as it includes support for Netflix (streaming video) and Pandora (streaming music). It is hard to say which one has better PQ - would have to really put two TV's side by side to compare real time streaming. Best Buy dropped the price by $50 on Sunday so the BD-2550 is an even better deal now.
post #206 of 474 Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 AM

Hi, can anyone try this out with his BD300.

I would appreciate any infos about it.

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum_shining View Post

Hi,

please can anyone of you check your LG BD300 whether it could be set region-free for Blu-ray?!
Please, can anyone try this out? Thx

It won't be region-free anything out of the box. Needs to get "hacked".
This is the current "hack" for the LG 200. Try this and see if anything pops up:

1. Open the tray, with no disc in the tray
2. Press PAUSE, 1, 4, 7, 2
3. Change the fourth HEX value (the bold value in the defaults above) to: Region A - 80, Region B - 92, Region C - A6 - Does your TV support PAL? See Below!
4. Press PAUSE to save & close the EEPROM Menu
5. Turn the BH200 Off - Normal power button

Thx in advance!

post #207 of 474 Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntanjam View Post

Iron Man Blu-ray does not play on BD300. Also doesn't work on new Pioneer Elite models. Can you say"firmware update"? It does however play on the BH200.

This is completely ridiculous!! I'm thinking of buying a BR player and I'm doing some research on the Web, and this is not the first time that I read that a specific movie will not run on a specific device. This is complete crap.

The technology is obviously not mature at all. I'm keeping my money.
post #208 of 474 Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm01 View Post

This is completely ridiculous!! I'm thinking of buying a BR player and I'm doing some research on the Web, and this is not the first time that I read that a specific movie will not run on a specific device. This is complete crap.

The technology is obviously not mature at all. I'm keeping my money.

If you kept reading you would've found out that it was the disc, not the player. After he exchanged the disc the player play the movie fine.
post #209 of 474 Old 10-30-2008, 02:44 PM

On page 5 of the BD300 owner's guide, it claims support for "DVD±R/RW in AVCHD format". I have one DVD-R in AVCHD that I burned on my computer, that the BD300 spit back out. The computer was happy to burn the .iso image, but it doesn't support AVCHD playback. When I inspect the disc's contents, all the files/directories look OK, but I don't have anything on which I can confirm the disc is playable. So I don't know whether the disc or player is at fault.

Have any of you had success playing an AVCHD disc on this thing?
post #210 of 474 Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM

And another thing...

Blade Runner, the pilot episode of 30 Rock, and other titles look fine, but a bunch of Netflix Watch-Instantly movies show up in an odd aspect ratio. These things appear like 16:9 content squished into a 1.55:1 window, about halfway between 4:3 and 16:9. The people look skinny, circles look like tall ovals, and there are left/right black bars that are skinnier than the ones I see with 4:3 content. Examples include Next, Contact, and A Fish Called Wanda -- all these odd ones I found were from Starz.

Plenty of BDs and DVDs, sent out as 1080p60 or 1080p24 over HDMI to my TV look correct, but these Starz W-I ones don't.

The problem could originate with Starz, Netflix, or LG (I updated to the latest BD300 s/w and drivers yesterday, to no avail), but it's hard to pinpoint. Anybody else encounter this weirdness?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd300 Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page