Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1025 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Vlach, the answer is in the manual (page 53 of the 05FD manual, don't know if same for 51FD) in the "troubleshooting" section:

Problem: 192 kHz or 96 kHz digital audio signals cannot be output from the DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL/OPTICAL) terminals

"Remedy": It is not possible to output 192 kHz or 96 kHz digital audio signals from this player’s DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL/OPTICAL) terminals. The signals are automatically converted to under 96 kHz for output.

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Liked: 15
Info-dan,

Thank you so much for solving my mystery! I never thought of looking in the troubleshooting section. I knew digital outputs can't carry 5 channels of 192/24 however 2 channels of LPCM up to 192khz is apparently possible...seems this limitation varies from player to player and makes me wonder if the Oppo players support it.

Edit: Wait a minute...I am able to output DTS 96/24 signals over digital...i suppose the above only applies to LPCM signals?

Old 05-23-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Info-dan,

Thank you so much for solving my mystery! I never thought of looking in the troubleshooting section. I knew digital outputs can't carry 5 channels of 192/24 however 2 channels of LPCM up to 192khz is apparently possible...seems this limitation varies from player to player and makes me wonder if the Oppo players support it.

My (likely incorrect) recollection is that the S/PDIF connection only officially supports up to 20/48kHz, anything beyond that is a non-standard implementation that may or may not work.
Quote:
Edit: Wait a minute...I am able to output DTS 96/24 signals over digital...i suppose the above only applies to LPCM signals?

Yes, DTS 24/96 is a lossy compressed bitstream, so it's still within the bandwidth of S/PDIF, it works just like DD/DTS.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 05-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

My (likely incorrect) recollection is that the S/PDIF connection only officially supports up to 20/48kHz, anything beyond that is a non-standard implementation that may or may not work.
Yes, DTS 24/96 is a lossy compressed bitstream, so it's still within the bandwidth of S/PDIF, it works just like DD/DTS.

24/96 when lossy...duh...totally makes sense, and i knew that but somehow forgot...thanks for the reminder smile.gif

Old 05-24-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I believe that support for 96/24 over S/PDIF depends on the specific equipment being used. My Denon 2900 player outputs stereo PCM at 96/24 over S/PDIF, but my Panasonic BD player does not. DTS 96/24 is a different matter since the player is just a transport sending whatever is in the DTS package for decoding and processing by a receiver.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I believe that support for 96/24 over S/PDIF depends on the specific equipment being used. My Denon 2900 player outputs stereo PCM at 96/24 over S/PDIF, but my Panasonic BD player does not. DTS 96/24 is a different matter since the player is just a transport sending whatever is in the DTS package for decoding and processing by a receiver.

Hmm. So will Pioneer be able to internally convert full spectrum audio with no loss of density, and then output via Analogs in the case at hand?

Mostly idle curiosity.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Probably, although it may depend on what DSPs are engaged.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Thanks for the feedback Bislander. I'm starting to believe this limitation does indeed vary from player to player as opposed to having anything to do with the S/PDIF format itself. I've had no issues whatsoever with my 51FD after 6 years of ownership and swore i would hang on to it until it would just die, however i now have an additional reason (besides slow loading speed, no ethernet connectivity) to switch to Oppo. I want the ability to pass 2 channel of uncompressed PCM at 24/96 & 24/192 to my DAC. SACD & DVD-Audio playback is just icing on the cake.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Thanks for the feedback Bislander. I'm starting to believe this limitation does indeed vary from player to player as opposed to having anything to do with the S/PDIF format itself. I've had no issues whatsoever with my 51FD after 6 years of ownership and swore i would hang on to it until it would just die, however i now have an additional reason (besides slow loading speed, no ethernet connectivity) to switch to Oppo. I want the ability to pass 2 channel of uncompressed PCM at 24/96 & 24/192 to my DAC. SACD & DVD-Audio playback is just icing on the cake.

This is precisely why I still have my old reliable Oppo DV-981HD in my setup along with my 51FD. wink.gif

~kyle
Old 07-05-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OK, seriously hoping someone can help me here.

I have a BDP-51FD connected by HDMI to a VSX-919AH.

I can not get PQLS to function no matter what I try.

Tried disconnecting all other units (including TV), numerous hard re-starts of both units.

Tried updating firmware to latest versions on both units. (1.74 on BDP and StM 1056 for the AVR)

I have checked all Kuro settings on both units and verified the sound fields are appropriate for 2 channel PQLS playback.

At wits end, any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone have trouble playing LOTR Extended Edition? I can play other Blu-Ray titles, just not this one. The disks are brand new.

I am at FW 1.74.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
Update: Got another CAN'T PLAY on a different disk. Blew the player out with clean compressed air and it seems to be ok now.

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
User Tag List