Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1028 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #30811 of 30832 Unread 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Thanks Rick for the interesting and informative feedback. Maybe I will stick to Denon- I was quite happy with the quality of the 1909 considering how much I paid- only complaint was the user manual- an absolute nightmare to navigate. Doesn't bother me too much tho as once I have my receiver/spks calibrated and set up I usually just leave it at that. I will keep an close eye on 4K developments thru 2015. Exciting times for home theater enthusiasts!
+1 Lot of options though to really enhance the enjoyment, Denon have really taken Audyssey to heart and in their current models it turns a good AVR into something really quite special for both music and films, check out some of the reviews.
hsinnott likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30812 of 30832 Unread 01-20-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 112
You also might want to consider how often a manufacturer provides BD-Java updates for your players... Pioneer is notorious in posting updates far later than other brands. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a movie and waiting for a few months before an update is released to play it...
hsinnott and Edllguy like this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30813 of 30832 Unread 01-21-2015, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
You also might want to consider how often a manufacturer provides BD-Java updates for your players... Pioneer is notorious in posting updates far later than other brands. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a movie and waiting for a few months before an update is released to play it...
Luckily I have several bluray players so never a problem.
post #30814 of 30832 Unread 01-22-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Luckily I have several bluray players so never a problem.
I must have had some sort of intuition, or a bang on the heed when I said hold off on your BD player, I take it you got the AVS news email if you didn't the first article which can be seen here is for you Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec at CES 2015
post #30815 of 30832 Unread 01-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
I must have had some sort of intuition, or a bang on the heed when I said hold off on your BD player, I take it you got the AVS news email if you didn't the first article which can be seen here is for you Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec at CES 2015
I actually read about the new upcoming 4K players and physical media on another forum covering CES and cannot wait...I just hope these new players don't cost an arm and a leg!
post #30816 of 30832 Unread 03-15-2015, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok i barely use my BDP-51FD but today we received our wedding video which happened to be on blu-ray. This is what happens any help solving the issue would be appreciated
1. Disc inserted and disc home screen appears
2. When I select the first option which is the trailer both A/V work
3. When going back to home screen and selecting either the entire movie or certain chapters this is what's appears- two red lights on both sides of the front display, and 0000000, and no A/V
post #30817 of 30832 Unread 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

contact the company who made it and ask what video format the disc was made with... Videos have different formats, AVI, MP4, MPEG or MKV... The Pioneer may not be able to play back some formats.

post #30818 of 30832 Unread 03-21-2015, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So i had a very interesting episode a few days ago.

About a year ago i purchased an Oppo 103 wanting to take advantage of USB inputs (to attach an external hard drive with all my multimedia), Wifi connectivity, Pandora, faster loading speeds, etc.
Soundwise I just 'assumed' the analog outputs of the Oppo would be more or less comparable to the 51FD and swapped out the 51FD in favor of the Oppo in my main system, packed the 51FD and put it in storage.

Ever since I always wondered if the Oppo DACs were really better (or at least as good as the 51FD), so a few days ago my curiosity got the best of me and proceeded to hook up the 51FD back in my main system to compare.
I burned 2 identical CDs and synched both players. All i had to do was switch inputs on my preamp for direct A/B comparisons on the fly.

I was surprised at how much better my 7 year old Pioneer 51FD sounded in comparison to the Oppo. The improvement was immediately noticeable. More air and bloom in the midrange, more 3D as well as increased clarity.

So...the 51FD is back in my main system and the Oppo now serves as a multimedia server/streamer.

Who would've thought?

This test truly convinced me i am in possession of a classic Blu-ray player!

And to think i couldn't even get $75 for it after putting it on sale for 6 months on US Audio Mart...i'm REALLY glad i had no offers

post #30819 of 30832 Unread 03-21-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 89
vlach, the Oppo 105 is the best for analog audio, not the 103. I went from the 51FD to the 105, and never looked back (the 51 was way too finicky with discs, due to very poor error correction, and although it's a pretty good analog audio player, it's not as good as the 105, IMO).
post #30820 of 30832 Unread 03-21-2015, 02:17 PM

Yes, I'm well aware the 105 is better than the 103 (at twice the price) but that's besides the point because I don't have the 105.
My post above relates to the 103 in comparison to the 51 and from a SQ point of view I didn't expect the 51FD to sound better than the 103 so that was a nice surprise.

In fact, knowing the 105 is better than the 51 made me assume the 103 would more on a similar level to the 51 sonically. It is not. The 51 is noticeably better.

I have never experienced any kind of problem with my 51, maybe I got lucky with the earlier drive units made in Japan

Last edited by vlach; 03-22-2015 at 02:15 AM.
post #30821 of 30832 Unread 04-01-2015, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post
Yes, I'm well aware the 105 is better than the 103

Do you have to use an analog output to realize the differences? Or are you talking about the output via the HDMI cable?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #30822 of 30832 Unread 04-01-2015, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It's been a very long while since the last update of 1.74 (summer of 13?) Have there not been much changes in the new Blu-ray pressings (copywrite etc) to warrant a new update? Have there not been any issues with newer or older titles on Blu-ray? I haven't noticed a problem with my player, however I really don't buy a lot of the newest Blu-rays.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #30823 of 30832 Unread 04-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
Do you have to use an analog output to realize the differences? Or are you talking about the output via the HDMI cable?
Analog output.

post #30824 of 30832 Unread 04-01-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
The Oppo 103 and 105 will sound the same if you output digital audio. PQ will also look the same with both units. The 105 is better than the 103 simply for analog audio (assuming you have decent other equipment, such as speakers, to be able to hear the difference). Plus it has other features not present on the 103, such as headphone output.
post #30825 of 30832 Unread 04-05-2015, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok so got married and our videographer gives us two copies of our wedding DVD on blu-Ray, I have the bdp-51fd, i put them in and right away they play the trailer, no biggie or I can press the menu and I'll get three choices 1.play trailer, 2. play entire wedding video, or 3. Enter subchapters... Now 1 works trailer plays when selected, 2 does not it blacks the TV screen out and freezes to the point where I have to actually unplug the blu-ray player and restart it, 3 lets me enter the subchapters lists but once selecting a subchapter same thing that happens if selecting option 2 happens,so I go out and buy the cheapest blu-ray player I can find and the wedding blu-Rays work perfectly on that one, take in mind I have the latest firmware on the bdp-51fd, anyone know if this can be solved???

Last edited by tlpmyd; 04-05-2015 at 01:34 AM.
post #30826 of 30832 Unread 04-05-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlpmyd View Post
Ok so got married and our videographer gives us two copies of our wedding DVD on blu-Ray, I have the bdp-51fd, i put them in and right away they play the trailer, no biggie or I can press the menu and I'll get three choices 1.play trailer, 2. play entire wedding video, or 3. Enter subchapters... Now 1 works trailer plays when selected, 2 does not it blacks the TV screen out and freezes to the point where I have to actually unplug the blu-ray player and restart it, 3 lets me enter the subchapters lists but once selecting a subchapter same thing that happens if selecting option 2 happens,so I go out and buy the cheapest blu-ray player I can find and the wedding blu-Rays work perfectly on that one, take in mind I have the latest firmware on the bdp-51fd, anyone know if this can be solved???
Sadly, I think you've answered your own question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlpmyd View Post
... I go out and buy the cheapest blu-ray player I can find and the wedding blu-Rays work perfectly ...
It's possible it's something in the code that's in the authoring software your videographer is using that the Pioneer is not able to execute. BD-J or Java is used to implement interactive menus on Blu-ray Discs and it's more or less an open system.

It's a shame, and not what you want to hear, but what you've got is a second generation, 7 year old machine. Blu-ray players are basically dedicated PC's and this Pioneer's hardware and operating system are getting old.
post #30827 of 30832 Unread 04-19-2015, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post
Yes, I'm well aware the 105 is better than the 103 (at twice the price) but that's besides the point because I don't have the 105.
My post above relates to the 103 in comparison to the 51 and from a SQ point of view I didn't expect the 51FD to sound better than the 103 so that was a nice surprise.

In fact, knowing the 105 is better than the 51 made me assume the 103 would more on a similar level to the 51 sonically. It is not. The 51 is noticeably better.

I have never experienced any kind of problem with my 51, maybe I got lucky with the earlier drive units made in Japan
Strange I compared the Oppo 93 to the 05 (a post way back now) both on analogue through a decent Pio AVR and found little difference the Oppo 93 was a touch more forward and a little crisper in the treble and the 05 rather more laid back relaxed and comfortable sound. Ultimately I just and only just preferred the Oppo for some music. Since then the 05 CD laser died and it went to a mate and major upgrades to an Oppo95 and Denon 4520 I'm in a sorta nother world now
post #30828 of 30832 Unread Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Unhappy BD works however no music CDs will play

So, been working on the house and after getting the final inspection approval done, we started on putting the toys in the new addition and getting teh new HT installed and up and running. During all this we set up a stereo rack thats not permanent so we could make sure all audio and video HW was working and get to actually play with the toys. After we set this rack and things were good and working well. Was great to see and hear stuff in the HT room.

So the Pioneer BDP-05FD we've had for about 5-6 years now. I can't remember when I first got it, it's been a while. I've upgraded the FW over there years when needed and just this past year, after not using it for a long while, I checked the Mfr site and saw there was a FW updated. I went and did the update and all went good. After we got the HT room going we started watching movies and listing to audio CDs as we got new speakers and HW in to the room. We set up the 05FD to listen to analog so we could use the Wolfson DACs this thing has. Really enjoy them. It was about two weeks ago when I had been listing to a CD while installing wall jacks for speakers and was the last time the audio CD worked. We got the front speakers in finally. Long story there. Oy vay. Anyways, we got them in and wanted to test them out with a audio CD. I noticed the CD loaded in the player however pushing the play button on the unit itself and the remote would not actually play the CD. Nothing happens when play is pressed with a audio CD, OEM or burned. It just sits there and says CD on the display. If I use a BD or DVD, those play.

Has something happened to the player that needs fixing to prevent audio CDs from playing? We did try to set up the 7chl audio outs on the player due to we were having configuration issues on the Pioneer AVR and we forgot about one setting there that doesn't allow some configurations if LARGE speaker settings are used. So we corrected that issue. We checked the settings on the BD player and made sure settings were changed back and were back to what they were before. The audio CD function seems broke overall. Is there any reset option that I can do on the player to go back to default settings and see if this might help before taking it to a repair tech facility? I really hope it can be fixed somehow. I paid a pretty penny for it and it's been lightly used over the years since I was given a streaming box so most of my video has been done on that over the years. I know theres new players out there and thats kewl too. Over all were waiting for 4K to be finalized and the dust to settle before making purchase on the 4K lines. Just spent alot of money on the new additional and the HT room so 1080p is good enough for now and goign to wait a while for 4K to settle down and hope current player can be corrected.

Any advise or information appreciated.
post #30829 of 30832 Unread Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

You might need to look for a new player.... The Pioneer BDP-05/09/51 players have unreliable drives and they cannot be replaced by the end user. If the drive is changed, the player's firmware has to be re-flashed, plus the replacement cost of the drive is rather high, IIRC, about $200 plus labor.

You can get decent players now for about $100...

post #30830 of 30832 Unread Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Thanks Jon. I called my local repair shop and I'm going to take it to them pending one more test today after work. Ya, I presumed that repair cost maybe high. I talked to another facility and they said maybe the laser unit or something else. Parts kind of depend on how Pioneer handles things. And not cheap.

I presume $100 would get a nice player, however not sure about DACs and overall quality. I rather pay a bit more for something better or near audiophile quality if it's affordable. This player has been stellar over the years and we love the stellar DACs on this unit. Hate to see it crippled only by one part for a nice unit it has been. I think it's worth a look at and maybe a bit high for repairs however in the ball park for this unit. I paid $600 for it back then. Still has good life in it if it's doable.

I'll post back with what they find out.

Have a great weekend.
post #30831 of 30832 Unread Yesterday, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryNutz View Post
Thanks Jon. I called my local repair shop and I'm going to take it to them pending one more test today after work. Ya, I presumed that repair cost maybe high. I talked to another facility and they said maybe the laser unit or something else. Parts kind of depend on how Pioneer handles things. And not cheap.

I presume $100 would get a nice player, however not sure about DACs and overall quality. I rather pay a bit more for something better or near audiophile quality if it's affordable. This player has been stellar over the years and we love the stellar DACs on this unit. Hate to see it crippled only by one part for a nice unit it has been. I think it's worth a look at and maybe a bit high for repairs however in the ball park for this unit. I paid $600 for it back then. Still has good life in it if it's doable.

I'll post back with what they find out.

Have a great weekend.
Sounds like time for an Oppo. I went from the 51FD to an Oppo and never looked back.
post #30832 of 30832 Unread Today, 01:49 PM

So, I got home yesterday and took the player downstairs and connected it via RCA 2chl to my RCVR there. BOOM, CD works. I played several different formats and CDs, all worked.
Today, I re-connected the player to my HT system upstairs and BOOM, CD didn't work again. Oy vay. Disconnected the optical and left the HDMI and 2chl RCAs connected. Still not working. Disconnected the HDMI cable and BOOM, CD works. Reconnected the optical cable and CD still works. Plugged the HDMI back in and BOOM, CD does not work.

I think there is a PnP issue with the HDMI on the player and this HDMI switcher we have connected to the player. We recently got the switcher installed since we have to projectors and no AVR that supports HDMI, so we have all HDMI players going into this HDMI switcher. I presume there is something either incompatible between this switcher and the player as BD disks play fine. It seems only when the HDMI is connected and we attempt to play a CD, will it not play. Only thing we have not tested yet is HMDI only cable and disconnect the RCA and Optical cables. I'll give this a test after a bit.

This HDMI switcher is a 6 in/2 out with ARC and EDID features which seems to have 2chl, 5chl and 7chl options. ARC is either ON or OFF. We tried ARC off and didn't change anything. I presume this is Audio Return Channel?

Any one know of a setting with in the BD player that I could look for or check?

I'm glad the player is working. Just something it doesn't like with this switcher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players