Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1028 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #30811 of 30820 Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Thanks Rick for the interesting and informative feedback. Maybe I will stick to Denon- I was quite happy with the quality of the 1909 considering how much I paid- only complaint was the user manual- an absolute nightmare to navigate. Doesn't bother me too much tho as once I have my receiver/spks calibrated and set up I usually just leave it at that. I will keep an close eye on 4K developments thru 2015. Exciting times for home theater enthusiasts!
+1 Lot of options though to really enhance the enjoyment, Denon have really taken Audyssey to heart and in their current models it turns a good AVR into something really quite special for both music and films, check out some of the reviews.
hsinnott likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30812 of 30820 Old 01-20-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 93
You also might want to consider how often a manufacturer provides BD-Java updates for your players... Pioneer is notorious in posting updates far later than other brands. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a movie and waiting for a few months before an update is released to play it...
hsinnott and Edllguy like this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30813 of 30820 Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
You also might want to consider how often a manufacturer provides BD-Java updates for your players... Pioneer is notorious in posting updates far later than other brands. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a movie and waiting for a few months before an update is released to play it...
Luckily I have several bluray players so never a problem.
post #30814 of 30820 Old 01-22-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
Luckily I have several bluray players so never a problem.
I must have had some sort of intuition, or a bang on the heed when I said hold off on your BD player, I take it you got the AVS news email if you didn't the first article which can be seen here is for you Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec at CES 2015
post #30815 of 30820 Old 01-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
I must have had some sort of intuition, or a bang on the heed when I said hold off on your BD player, I take it you got the AVS news email if you didn't the first article which can be seen here is for you Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec at CES 2015
I actually read about the new upcoming 4K players and physical media on another forum covering CES and cannot wait...I just hope these new players don't cost an arm and a leg!
post #30816 of 30820 Old 03-15-2015, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok i barely use my BDP-51FD but today we received our wedding video which happened to be on blu-ray. This is what happens any help solving the issue would be appreciated
1. Disc inserted and disc home screen appears
2. When I select the first option which is the trailer both A/V work
3. When going back to home screen and selecting either the entire movie or certain chapters this is what's appears- two red lights on both sides of the front display, and 0000000, and no A/V
post #30817 of 30820 Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 93
contact the company who made it and ask what video format the disc was made with... Videos have different formats, AVI, MP4, MPEG or MKV... The Pioneer may not be able to play back some formats.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30818 of 30820 Unread Today, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So i had a very interesting episode a few days ago.

About a year ago i purchased an Oppo 103 wanting to take advantage of USB inputs (to attach an external hard drive with all my multimedia), Wifi connectivity, Pandora, faster loading speeds, etc.
Soundwise I just 'assumed' the analog outputs of the Oppo would be more or less comparable to the 51FD and swapped out the 51FD in favor of the Oppo in my main system, packed the 51FD and put it in storage.

Ever since I always wondered if the Oppo DACs were really better (or at least as good as the 51FD), so a few days ago my curiosity got the best of me and proceeded to hook up the 51FD back in my main system to compare.
I burned 2 identical CDs and synched both players. All i had to do was switch inputs on my preamp for direct A/B comparisons on the fly.

I was surprised at how much better my 7 year old Pioneer 51FD sounded in comparison to the Oppo. The improvement was immediately noticeable. More air and bloom in the midrange, more 3D as well as increased clarity.

So...the 51FD is back in my main system and the Oppo now serves as a multimedia server/streamer.

Who would've thought?

This test truly convinced me i am in possession of a classic Blu-ray player!

And to think i couldn't even get $75 for it after putting it on sale for 6 months on US Audio Mart...i'm REALLY glad i had no offers

post #30819 of 30820 Unread Today, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
vlach, the Oppo 105 is the best for analog audio, not the 103. I went from the 51FD to the 105, and never looked back (the 51 was way too finicky with discs, due to very poor error correction, and although it's a pretty good analog audio player, it's not as good as the 105, IMO).
post #30820 of 30820 Unread Today, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, I'm fully aware the 105 is better than the 103 (at twice the price) but that's besides the point.
The point is (strictly from a SQ point of view) that I didn't expect the 51FD to sound better so that's a nice surprise

I have never experienced any kind of problem with my 51, maybe I got lucky with the earlier drive units made in Japan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page