Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1029 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #30841 of 30854 Old 06-18-2015, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryNutz View Post
I recommend disconnecting the HDMI cable from the player and test the play with just the RCA outputs and see if the CD works. Are you getting any operation with a CD? Is the CD spinning up or any indication on the display?
What is happening when it doesn't work. Please explain more.

The problem I saw with mine is that when the HDMI was connected to my HDMI matrix, pressing the play function on the front panel would not do anything. Even with the CD in the tay and loaded. the play button would not start. Just sat there. Once I disconnected the HDMI cable and power cycled the player, the play function worked.

Just trying to help you narrow down the issue if possible.

If just using RCA outputs only and the Cd still does not play, then the Drive in the player would need to be changed out. If you have used the player a lot over it's life time, then it would be normal that the laser would burn out. Laser drives are just like light bulbs, they don't last forever.
It turns but does not read, I get "Unknown disk". Its defenitely the cd laser portion of the assembly. I can just go out and purchase an Oppo BDP-103 and toss the POS Pioneer in the trash can. You almost can't fix these things anylonger, not cost effecient. Good thing is that the Blu-ray works! So I can watch movies and listen to some DVD audio discs. Pics attached of my unit today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	783242   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	783250   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	783258  

Last edited by ledd4u; 06-18-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30842 of 30854 Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You might try cleaning the lens with some de-natured alcohol and see.

If this doesn't work then drive replacement would be needed if you wanted the CD portion to work. You'll need to swap the FW board from told old drive to the new if you DIY.

Good Luck.
post #30843 of 30854 Old 07-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledd4u View Post
It turns but does not read, I get "Unknown disk". Its defenitely the cd laser portion of the assembly. I can just go out and purchase an Oppo BDP-103 and toss the POS Pioneer in the trash can. You almost can't fix these things anylonger, not cost effecient. Good thing is that the Blu-ray works! So I can watch movies and listen to some DVD audio discs. Pics attached of my unit today.
I had exactly the same problem except after the power was removed it would play CD for about half an hour and then "unknown disc" so I gave it to my pal.
But one thing I did find out while trying to fix the problem is that you can update the firmware using exactly the same procedure but by burning the ISO to a DVD instead of CD, so if you want to update the firmware then that should work. The laser is a complicated assembly and there appears from the tech manual to be 3 lasers not 2 whether the red laser is a hybrid or two lasers firing through one lens is not clear. I didn't take it to bits to find out because my pal could use it so the actual format is still a bit of a mystery to me
post #30844 of 30854 Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I will give that a try, happy 4th all.
post #30845 of 30854 Old 07-11-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Pioneer 51

What's a Pioneer 51 blu-ray player worth,I've got 2 with box and remote in perfect condition,great for std DVD and CD play,someone plz let me know there in my way,they play blu-rays but there slow need a firmware update havint done one in a long time thx
post #30846 of 30854 Old 07-14-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
What's a Pioneer 51 blu-ray player worth,I've got 2 with box and remote in perfect condition,great for std DVD and CD play,someone plz let me know there in my way,they play blu-rays but there slow need a firmware update havint done one in a long time thx
Not much. I see them on sale on craigslist for about $50. They are old, extremely slow and do not offer any streaming options. It's hard to sell them when you can buy a faster player with streaming options for $80. Not too many people care about the audio qualities since most players are connected to a TV and not a audio system.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30847 of 30854 Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Not much. I see them on sale on craigslist for about $50. They are old, extremely slow and do not offer any streaming options. It's hard to sell them when you can buy a faster player with streaming options for $80. Not too many people care about the audio qualities since most players are connected to a TV and not a audio system.
It's a fortunate situation if you want to buy one. Yes, I'm a fanboi.

Old... oh well.
Slow... be inventive: make popcorn, pour wine, have a conversation.
No streaming... streaming is still crud.

Yeah... probably $50. I bought mine from BB years ago brand new for $100.
post #30848 of 30854 Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You guys are correct! I don't want to throw them away,I guess I'll lower the price,they do make a good CD player! I just lowered the price to 100.00 for both.

Last edited by dholmes54; 07-14-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Price
post #30849 of 30854 Old Today, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
BDP-05 Value

Speaking of blu-ray player values, what do you believe is a reasonable value for an Elite BDP-05 player that works fine and has firmware 1.73 installed? Original packaging and owner's manual included. Someone may want it as a player while someone else may want it for parts or as a spare.
post #30850 of 30854 Old Today, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 135
dhomes and Larry, nobody is going to pay much for these players. They are several years old, very slow to load, have no internet connectivity, very poor error correction, and have a history of premature lens failures. My 51FD is basically collecting dust (I use it once a year in my bedroom).
post #30851 of 30854 Old Today, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Ditto... I have a BDP-09FD and a BDP-05Fd just collecting dust...

I have an Oppo BDP-95 for my home theater and a Sony BDP-S6200 for my television... Can't live without streaming from VUDU or my local wi-fi network now....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30852 of 30854 Old Today, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I couldn't get anyone interested in a BDP-05FD for $20 or "make me an offer" during our garage sale...
post #30853 of 30854 Unread Today, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks BillP and b Curry. Sounds like my Middle Atlantic shelf and faceplate for my BDP-05 are worth more than my functioning BDP-05 - well maybe the shelf is!
post #30854 of 30854 Unread Today, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGM View Post
Thanks BillP and b Curry. Sounds like my Middle Atlantic shelf and faceplate for my BDP-05 are worth more than my functioning BDP-05 - well maybe the shelf is!

Yep, that's about right. Funny, I used my shelf with a new face plate for the Oppo that replaced the BDP-05FD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page