Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1030 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #30871 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I presume CD/DVD would have worked however when I talked to my service center here, they said that you can't just swap drives out. The FW boards are encrypted so new drives have to be set up for this. Probably has to do with the drive and region and encryption on disks. IT almost seems like they are matching the drives to mother boards like MS does with xboxes.

Ya would be a neat project. I'm asking someone to look at this. I presume, if anything, inputs would be on the drive side of the connections maybe, one would have to find the correct pins to use. Beyond my scope for me. LOL.

Have you taken the drive apart and cleaned the lens, lens rails and spindle shaft? I used to have to do this on dvd players back in the day when I worked on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post
I guess so because this is what Pioneer local service center concluded.
But i tried with a computer BDP with a sata to pata converter and it did not work.
Maybe for firmware reason.
Anyway, it was the first time I saw a combination of BDP and pata...for computer!
I tried with a DVD transport also and CD/DVD worked if I remember well.
But I don't know if I would sell it as this DAC project interests me.
Wolson DAC was kind of good.

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30872 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 09:44 AM

Is your drive broke too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I understand. And my answer stands. There are no inputs into the 51FD (digital or analog), so I don't see how you can connect another device to the 51FD.
post #30873 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 09:58 AM

Yes the Wolfson DACs are good for sure.

I wonder if acquiring a Service manual would be beneficial?

Quote:
I guess so because this is what Pioneer local service center concluded.
But i tried with a computer BDP with a sata to pata converter and it did not work.
Maybe for firmware reason.
Anyway, it was the first time I saw a combination of BDP and pata...for computer!
I tried with a DVD transport also and CD/DVD worked if I remember well.
But I don't know if I would sell it as this DAC project interests me.
Wolson DAC was kind of good.

Luke
post #30874 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryNutz View Post
I presume CD/DVD would have worked however when I talked to my service center here, they said that you can't just swap drives out. The FW boards are encrypted so new drives have to be set up for this. Probably has to do with the drive and region and encryption on disks. IT almost seems like they are matching the drives to mother boards like MS does with xboxes.

Ya would be a neat project. I'm asking someone to look at this. I presume, if anything, inputs would be on the drive side of the connections maybe, one would have to find the correct pins to use. Beyond my scope for me. LOL.

Have you taken the drive apart and cleaned the lens, lens rails and spindle shaft? I used to have to do this on dvd players back in the day when I worked on them.
Hello

""Have you taken the drive apart and cleaned the lens, lens rails and spindle shaft? I used to have to do this on dvd players back in the day when I worked on them.[/QUOTE]""

I will try to check this.
It makes me think that service center exists to make money and somethimes OVER people.
Right now I don't have time but I,ll give a try somehow and come back later.

Luke

PS. But a ready made solution for working out a DAC from this machine would be preferable as I recall...I prefer my Oppo103 WELL OVER this Pio.
post #30875 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Is your drive broke too?
No, my 51FD works perfectly (or at least as good as the day I bought it - slow, with terrible error correction for reading discs). I replaced it with the Oppo 105 when the 105 first came out. My 51FD is connected to a 32" LCD in my bedroom (the 105 is in my family room with my plasma and AV set-up) and is pretty much collecting dust (I believe I have used it exactly once in the last few years).
post #30876 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Is your drive broke too?
Jesussss! This is why I want to modify it to gain one!!!!!

Luc

PS. I'm not mad by the ..it is simply that sometimes people don't read all textes.
post #30877 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Im using my 05 in the home theater room for now. I do enjoy the DACs for audio listening though. I hardly use the 05 as I use a streamer for my BD and netflix items. I have a sound rack in the game room that has what we call "Mature" audio equipment rack and have a old DV-09 player there along with a DAT, Reel to Reel, cassette deck and old Pioneer 1010 receiver, and a turn table. The DV09 has some good audio for playing CDs. I ran a Audio DVD on it yesterday with the new remastered Led Zeppelin Stair Way To Heaven burn to DVD. Wow, still sounds great.

Maybe you could use the 51 as a nice audio player. These units do that well.

Quote:
No, my 51FD works perfectly (or at least as good as the day I bought it - slow, with terrible error correction for reading discs). I replaced it with the Oppo 105 when the 105 first came out. My 51FD is connected to a TV in my bedroom (the 105 is in my family room with my plasma and AV set-up) and is pretty much collecting dust (I believe I have used it exactly once in the last few years).
post #30878 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Jesussss! This is why I want to modify it to gain one!!!!!

Luc

PS. I'm not mad by the ..it is simply that sometimes people don't read all textes.
I believe he was asking me whether my drive was broken too (like yours is broken).
post #30879 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No need. I have both my Oppo 105 as well as a Rotel CD changer hooked up to my AV system. So no need for the 51FD for music. The Oppo has a better DAC than the 51FD, and the Rotel sounds every bit as good as the 51FD to my ears.
post #30880 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Im using my 05 in the home theater room for now. I do enjoy the DACs for audio listening though. I hardly use the 05 as I use a streamer for my BD and netflix items. I have a sound rack in the game room that has what we call "Mature" audio equipment rack and have a old DV-09 player there along with a DAT, Reel to Reel, cassette deck and old Pioneer 1010 receiver, and a turn table. The DV09 has some good audio for playing CDs. I ran a Audio DVD on it yesterday with the new remastered Led Zeppelin Stair Way To Heaven burn to DVD. Wow, still sounds great.

You give me an idea.
Using this player as a CD player.
I will try with different CD transport.
I guess I have a few ones somewhere.
I'll comme back on this another day.
Thks for sugg.

Luke
post #30881 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I believe he was asking me whether my drive was broken too (like yours is broken).
Ddddoooohhhhh!
Sorry.
post #30882 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 10:46 AM

It almost sounds like what Car dealerships, or what we call "Stealerships" do. Once it's out of warranty, costs to repair anything it stupidly expensive. Reason why I hate the FW encryption. One way Mfrs keep control of repairs and DIYs which seems crazy to me. One way to force users to buy more product to to switch mfrs. Seems like it's not a good model. All about the money. However. This is how us Americans wanted it back in the day. We wanted things cheap so we got cheap, however for the spendy stuff, seems like there keeping that in line too. Oy vay.

Let us know if you can check the drive out inside. Sometimes, just sometimes some cleaning and maintenance is all that is needed.
Good Luck.
Quote:
Hello

""Have you taken the drive apart and cleaned the lens, lens rails and spindle shaft? I used to have to do this on dvd players back in the day when I worked on them.
""

It makes me think that service center exists to make money and somethimes OVER people.

[/QUOTE]
post #30883 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It almost sounds like what Car dealerships, or what we call "Stealerships" do. Once it's out of warranty, costs to repair anything it stupidly expensive. Reason why I hate the FW encryption. One way Mfrs keep control of repairs and DIYs which seems crazy to me. One way to force users to buy more product to to switch mfrs. Seems like it's not a good model. All about the money. However. This is how us Americans wanted it back in the day. We wanted things cheap so we got cheap, however for the spendy stuff, seems like there keeping that in line too. Oy vay.

Let us know if you can check the drive out inside. Sometimes, just sometimes some cleaning and maintenance is all that is needed.
Good Luck.
""

[/QUOTE]

Hello FurryNutz

""It almost sounds like what Car dealerships, or what we call "Stealerships" do. Once it's out of warranty, costs to repair anything it stupidly expensive. Reason why I hate the FW encryption. One way Mfrs keep control of repairs and DIYs which seems crazy to me.""

You're right. These $60-125 gear are cheap which means that you don't pay a lot for themt and it does not last long.
But this 51 was $650 plus taxes. So despite of this philosophy it should fail well later than el-cheapo stuff but it does not.
The equivalent laser reader transport for computer can be had today for $60 but it won't work because the firware is different...but the hardware is the same.
I always thought Pio was a respectable company...despite commercial trends.
Anyway.

Luke
post #30884 of 30886 Unread 08-18-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 385
The 51FD/05FD were second generation Blu-ray players and they carried the second generation price premium. First gen players were twice as much. They also still have features not found on $60 players, namely HD audio decoding and analog output, with a quality analog section. About the only players out today with audio decoding and quality analog sections today are the Oppos and they're in the same $500+ price bracket.

Further, they were released 7 years ago, that's a pretty good run. Find me a $60 (or otherwise substantially cheaper) Blu-ray player that we're still using/talking about 7 years later.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #30885 of 30886 Unread 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Ha! I still have my Pioneer BDP-05FD and a BDP-09FD... I have not used them ever since I bought my Sony BDP-S6200 and my Oppo BDP-95. I think I paid $700 for the BDp-05FD and $2000 for the BDP-09FD. The Pioneers are just too slow and have no streaming features. I have been using the VUDU cards with the Blu-Ray purchases and am up to 400 movies on VUDU as well as 300 movies on iTunes.

Add the 1,000 movies I have on my cloud drive. I use streaming for quick and dirty viewing, but at times I will pull the disc out when I want to enjoy the full detail and low noise on some movies. Streamed videos are usually to compressed and there are all kinds of noise on them. Nothing like physical media but I hate the commercials and trailers....

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30886 of 30886 Unread Today, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just gave away my 51FD and soon to give away my 05 FD.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player