Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1032 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #30931 of 30956 Old 01-29-2016, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The odd thing is that I could not remove the black plastic cover.

Isn't that supposed to come off easily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30932 of 30956 Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It might have been adhered, can't remember, but it went right back together no problem.
post #30933 of 30956 Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 90
wow, folks are still playing their BDP-05FD machines? I had one, seems like years now, loved it!
post #30934 of 30956 Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
PIONEER BDP-05FD Blu-Ray Disc player (2008)

my first truly high-end BRDP. just nabbed off the BAY for just over $200 shipped.

had to load the latest Firmware to get it to play nice, but that done, it has loaded every disc i've yet tried perfectly
and has easily proved itself the all-round best BRDP i've used to date. it may not be the fastest loader ever,
but it's speedy enough for me, and in any case well worth the very few minor faults
to own an honest to goodness Japanese made PIONEER ELITE BRDP.

this one's definitely a keeper for sure, for as long as i can keep it or another like it running...

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
post #30935 of 30956 Old 02-13-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Just as a follow up, I ended up replacing this player with an Oppo 103. WOW!! What a difference. The Oppo is much faster. It loads the first time, every time (what a concept!). Also the PQ and AQ on the Oppo are top notch. My 05FD is now for sale, if anyone is interested. It is in excellent condition and, like I said above, still plays CDs, DVDs and older BDs just fine. Thanks for the feedback.
Same here...I have the 51FD and it served me well. Still works fine but it was slow and rentals would freeze if there was a scratch. I finally gave up and bought the Oppo 103. Wow its a great player. I have a Meridian surround processor setup and added an HD s/pdif card that replaces the analog output card. Now couldn't be happier with the upgrade. I had added multi-channel s/pdif output to my old 51fd as well so I was stuck with that setup until I discovered that I could do the same with the Oppo 103. Meridian processors do not handle HDMI thus the need for multi-channel s/pdif output from the player.

Ron
post #30936 of 30956 Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 AM

O.K. final update.

After looking at the back I discovered my player was made in Japan.

Can't say where my Brother's 05FD was made, as it is a moot point now.

I could not make heads nor tails of the pics showing the lenses facing upwards when the plastic cover was removed from the top of the chassis housing that sub-assembly.

But now, I can.

I tried using the Blu Ray cleaning disc from DI...three times in fact and it failed.

So I decided to open the unit one last time.

I pried off the plastic cover that was glued to the chassis of the sup-assembly.

Removed the white plastic insert and this revealed nothing...to my great disappointment.

And then it dawned on me...open the disc tray.

Once I did this, all was revealed, and of course the pics I mentioned earlier made sense.

So I grabbed some six inch cotton swabs and some 70% alcohol and cleaned the lenses...twice.

First clean then blow with canned air, then clean again and blow with canned air again, then let air dry for five minutes.

I looked closely at the two swabs I used, and there was only three tiny specs of dirt, but that is all it takes.

I popped in the new Blu Ray disc that would not play on my 05FD, but would play on my Brother's 05FD.

It loaded faster than ever before...and it LOADED and played.

I could not be happier...LOVE MY 05FD!

So DON'T give up.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Only...ZGJ6G4KSBQF8A0
post #30937 of 30956 Old 02-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sorry, I'm not the best a giving instructions. Glad it worked out for you once you figured it out.
post #30938 of 30956 Old 02-16-2016, 07:15 AM

No worries Brother...I am just so glad you posted what you did.

As you said, it all worked out in the end.

Thanks again.
post #30939 of 30956 Old 02-23-2016, 02:13 PM

Liked: 3
some additional anti-resonant lining applied.

with all this in place, the player chassis acquires a surprisingly solid, dense sort of feel for a model with a puny 13lb. overall mass...

aggoodin likes this.

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
post #30940 of 30956 Old 03-20-2016, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HDMI out

I've got no video via hdmi. Switched the cable to another unit and its fine. Powered on and off. Powered tv. Still no video. Any ideas? Unit has been working for years.
post #30941 of 30956 Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
I've got no video via hdmi. Switched the cable to another unit and its fine. Powered on and off. Powered tv. Still no video. Any ideas? Unit has been working for years.
Fixed after searching further. Somehow the unit had been switched to component output. Hooked that up and navigated to initial setup. Set to hdmi. When I ran test at set volume to appropriate level switched the input back to hdmi on tv and clicked enter. Working!
aggoodin likes this.
post #30942 of 30956 Old 03-25-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Today,

I spoke with a local dealer, and he informed me that he had a used Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Bluray Player for $100. I was informed that the player was a trade-in, and it was in "good working order." One issue with the unit is the fact that it does not have a remote. I have a harmony universal remote. So, I should be able to program the universal to work with the unit.

If this unit is working and fully functional, is $100 a fair price considering the age and lack of remote? Does this unit have any major issues that I am not aware of at this time?

I am currently running a Pioneer Elite 45tx receiver along with a Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player and Sony BDP-360 Bluray player. Would this unit be an upgrade from the dvd/bluray player combo that I am currently running?
post #30943 of 30956 Old 03-25-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by k elone View Post
Today,

I spoke with a local dealer, and he informed me that he had a used Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Bluray Player for $100. I was informed that the player was a trade-in, and it was in "good working order." One issue with the unit is the fact that it does not have a remote. I have a harmony universal remote. So, I should be able to program the universal to work with the unit.

If this unit is working and fully functional, is $100 a fair price considering the age and lack of remote? Does this unit have any major issues that I am not aware of at this time?

I am currently running a Pioneer Elite 45tx receiver along with a Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player and Sony BDP-360 Bluray player. Would this unit be an upgrade from the dvd/bluray player combo that I am currently running?
Personally, I would pay no more than $50 and that would have to be a unit with the original remote and in very good condition.

The major issues are the inability to play some titles and failure's of the blu-ray drive. A replacement drive, if you can find one will cost you $300-$500.

The last firmware update was October 2013. It would appear that Pioneer has stopped support. It's an 8 year old machine. It's old and very slow.

If you're willing to spend $100, it would be better invested in something new or newer IMHO.
post #30944 of 30956 Old 03-25-2016, 04:13 PM

I own this model, along with the SC 05 receiver. It works great, only issue is its pretty slow to start up, but I assume that was common with early model Blu Ray players.
post #30945 of 30956 Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Personally, I would pay no more than $50 and that would have to be a unit with the original remote and in very good condition.

The major issues are the inability to play some titles and failure's of the blu-ray drive. A replacement drive, if you can find one will cost you $300-$500.

The last firmware update was October 2013. It would appear that Pioneer has stopped support. It's an 8 year old machine. It's old and very slow.

If you're willing to spend $100, it would be better invested in something new or newer IMHO.
Unless you need its great audio analog out I'd get something else. When I upgraded my receiver to something with good codecs I retired my Pioneer and got a Panasonic 460 for a little over $100. Loads fast, streams, plays without a hitch. It's a member of the modern world. Happy.
post #30946 of 30956 Old 03-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Anyone else have any opinions?
post #30947 of 30956 Old 03-26-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 187
My 51FD has been collecting dust for several years. I agree that $100 is way too much for an old player with poor error correction, slow loading, no internet connectivity, and premature laser failures. Get a new Sony or Panny for less than that!
post #30948 of 30956 Old 03-26-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k elone View Post
Anyone else have any opinions?
That's about the going price for these units without a remote. If using analog outs still a worthy player. BDP51FD pretty much the same and they are a bit cheaper. Did a hot rod of the analog outs and dearly love mine for two channel audio and two channel DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD (way, way better than the original 2 channel output and I've retained both for easy comparison). It can do analog 7.1 from outputs. Picture quality is fine, but top Oppos much better.

For typical home theatre setup find something else as suggested.
post #30949 of 30956 Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Also the analog outputs are useless with new AVRs... Most AVRs no longer have analog 7.1 inputs since most players axed them as well...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30950 of 30956 Old 03-30-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You can find remotes on fleabay if you think you might get this unit:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...emote&_sacat=0
post #30951 of 30956 Old 04-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Also the analog outputs are useless with new AVRs... Most AVRs no longer have analog 7.1 inputs since most players axed them as well...
The problem with most AVRs is that their internal DACs sound inferior to the 05/51FD players analog output. Also forget about the Oppo 103 analog output compared to the 05/51FD players, i have both and the Pioneer definitely has superior SQ.
It is not until you go for the Oppo 105 that you get a 'slightly' better analog output.

post #30952 of 30956 Old 04-19-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I recently bought the latest Blu-ray release of the original Spartacus. First thing noted, when I press to play the movie, all the menu options disappear such as "audio setup," "subtitles," "special features," etc. and does not start the movie. The only way (as far as I know) I can get the movie to play is to go to the special features and select the feature that's about the restoration of that movie. It won't play that special feature (too bad because I really want to see the video on all the work that went into restoring it) and starts playing the movie instead. WEIRD!

Of course I thought it would be time to do a update, but I recently found out on this thread the last update for this player was Aug 26th 2013 with version 1.74. That's the one currently installed on my player. If there is a newer update, please inform.

Anyway, currently I have no issues with my player, still works like new and performs great with the exception of what I mentioned above. Without current updates, I guess there's going to be a time I'm going to need to update my player.

Does anyone else have this issue with Spartacus?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #30953 of 30956 Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
I recently bought the latest Blu-ray release of the original Spartacus. First thing noted, when I press to play the movie, all the menu options disappear such as "audio setup," "subtitles," "special features," etc. and does not start the movie. The only way (as far as I know) I can get the movie to play is to go to the special features and select the feature that's about the restoration of that movie. It won't play that special feature (too bad because I really want to see the video on all the work that went into restoring it) and starts playing the movie instead. WEIRD!

Of course I thought it would be time to do a update, but I recently found out on this thread the last update for this player was Aug 26th 2013 with version 1.74. That's the one currently installed on my player. If there is a newer update, please inform.

Anyway, currently I have no issues with my player, still works like new and performs great with the exception of what I mentioned above. Without current updates, I guess there's going to be a time I'm going to need to update my player.

Does anyone else have this issue with Spartacus?
v1.74 is the last released FW update for this model player. Possible that the newer BD disk has some incompatible menus.
post #30954 of 30956 Old 05-18-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
BDP 51FD still going strong!

Been a while since I last used this player, may be 2 or 3 years.
I just went from 5.1 to 7.1 setup, and still using a non-HDMI receiver, and was looking for a way to test the 2 back surround channels.
I obviously cannot test with HDMI sources, but realized that this unit had the 7.1 analog outs.
Updated the firmware to the last release, then voila!

After running some tests with DTS MA and TrueHD discs, the difference was substantial!

The analog outs of this unit is pretty good, I suppose due to the excellent DACs inside.

Happy camper here.
post #30955 of 30956 Old 06-30-2016, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwakin View Post
Been a while since I last used this player, may be 2 or 3 years.
I just went from 5.1 to 7.1 setup, and still using a non-HDMI receiver, and was looking for a way to test the 2 back surround channels.
I obviously cannot test with HDMI sources, but realized that this unit had the 7.1 analog outs.
Updated the firmware to the last release, then voila!

After running some tests with DTS MA and TrueHD discs, the difference was substantial!

The analog outs of this unit is pretty good, I suppose due to the excellent DACs inside.

Happy camper here.
I should use my player more often. I haven't wired in 7.1 sound, just 5.1, but all the analog channels are connected. Got to get ambitious and connect two more speakers.
post #30956 of 30956 Old 08-10-2016, 05:15 PM

Liked: 0
I know this is a very dated thread and player but for what it's worth...

I bought a BDP-05FD with remote that was "having trouble playing some Blu-Ray discs" for $75 from an eBay seller. When I first hooked it up I could not get it to display the firmware version using Pioneer's instructions. I installed the 1.74 firmware update and the menu changed displaying the firmware version now without the keystrokes. Perhaps it was an original 0.8 or 1.0 unit that had never been updated? However, it still wouldn't play a Blu-Ray. Opened the Blu-Ray drive and cleaned both laser pickups with rubbing alcohol and swabs. So far it's played every DVD and Blu-Ray I've tried.

The picture and audio are both outstanding and (subjectively at least) appear mildly superior to the Samsung I've been using for several years. I have it connected with an HDMI cable to a Pioneer VSX-82TXS receiver and the receiver to the TV with another HDMI cable. The receiver cannot decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD and from what I've read here (I didn't read all 1032 pages), setting the player to PCM will pass the appropriately decoded audio via HDMI now, correct? I can set it to auto for DVDs because the receiver decodes all DVD audio formats.

Should I have sprung for a new BDP-80FD? Maybe, but I enjoy wringing some life from older components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page