Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1034 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #30991 of 31008 Old 12-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mkard,
When I made my last post here a few weeks ago, the 103D and 105D were still available at Oppo. I went to their site today to order one and they are no longer available. I had decided a couple of years ago that was the player I would buy. Now I have to make another choice. Since I just don't have it in me anymore to spend hours on the forums, are there any recommendations to replace my 51D? I have a Pioneer FPJ1 PJ which is based off the Panny RS2.

Another thing, I can't remember how to clear the cache on this thing. I have searched this thread and can't find it either.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.

Last edited by limulus; 12-22-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30992 of 31008 Old 12-23-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
When I made my last post here a few weeks ago, the 103D and 105D were still available at Oppo. I went to their site today to order one and they are no longer available. I had decided a couple of years ago that was the player I would buy. Now I have to make another choice. Since I just don't have it in me anymore to spend hours on the forums, are there any recommendations to replace my 51D? I have a Pioneer FPJ1 PJ which is based off the Panny RS2.
You can try eBay and other used equipment websites. Or, if you don't need Darbee, the 203 has replaced the 103, and the 205 has been announced (but not yet available) to replace the 105.
post #30993 of 31008 Old 12-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
You can try eBay and other used equipment websites. Or, if you don't need Darbee, the 203 has replaced the 103, and the 205 has been announced (but not yet available) to replace the 105.
yeah, I was looking at the 203. The other reason I liked the 103D in addition to Darbee was it was capable of streaming via a Roku. The 203 has no streaming but it does have an HDMI, but nowhere in their description does it say it will stream the Roku. I sent an email to Oppo customer service. The ones on ebay have ridiculous prices $700-1,000. I was just looking at the Oppo site a few weeks ago...or at least it seemed that recently and they still had the 103D. I should have just bought it then or the other 100 times I looked at it

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

post #30994 of 31008 Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
yeah, I was looking at the 203. The other reason I liked the 103D in addition to Darbee was it was capable of streaming via a Roku. The 203 has no streaming but it does have an HDMI, but nowhere in their description does it say it will stream the Roku. I sent an email to Oppo customer service. The ones on ebay have ridiculous prices $700-1,000. I was just looking at the Oppo site a few weeks ago...or at least it seemed that recently and they still had the 103D. I should have just bought it then or the other 100 times I looked at it
The 203 has an HDMI input in the back, so you can attach a Roku streaming stick (or a Google Chromecast).
post #30995 of 31008 Old 12-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
The 203 has an HDMI input in the back, so you can attach a Roku streaming stick (or a Google Chromecast).
If that will work, I think I just make the move. When we built our HT 12 yrs ago, I did not install a cable/satellite jack in there. It was for movies only. Now, I'd like to at least stream with the projector and I have Amazon Prime as well as Netflix streaming and Hulu. If a Roku stick will work on the 203, I'm going for it. The BDP-51 still works but with some of the newer disks, it is freezing.

post #30996 of 31008 Old 12-23-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
If that will work, I think I just make the move. When we built our HT 12 yrs ago, I did not install a cable/satellite jack in there. It was for movies only. Now, I'd like to at least stream with the projector and I have Amazon Prime as well as Netflix streaming and Hulu. If a Roku stick will work on the 203, I'm going for it. The BDP-51 still works but with some of the newer disks, it is freezing.
I'm sure it will work. The Roku plugs into the HDMI input in the back of the 203, and comes with its own remote. You'll also need access to a wall outlet (the Roku comes with a USB power adapter/power cord).
post #30997 of 31008 Old 02-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer Elite BDP-05D Firmware Update

I have been trying to update the firmware (1.73) on my Elite blu ray player with little success. At first I downloaded and proceeded to update it but every time I loaded the disc I received "no disc" message. I called Pioneer service and went through some troubleshooting efforts with no success. They mailed me their update (1.74) disc and I the same message when I loaded the disc. Blu ray playback works but it freezes A LOT. DVD playback is unaffected. Has anyone else ever encountered this issue??

My player was manufactured November 2008, S/N HKEA018197CC.

Thanks.

JPS
post #30998 of 31008 Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Try and see if the player will playback a music CD... If not, the red laser for the drive is apparently bad... The optical drives in the Pioneer is not very reliable. Unfortunately, the price of a replacement drive is more expensive than buying a newer player with more features...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #30999 of 31008 Old 05-05-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
my own BDP-05FD (with latest Firmware installed) is still going strong to this day. been experiencing STAR TREK TNG sequentially for the first time since it's original airing in my childhood,
gotten up to the 1992 season so far, with nary a hiccup from the 05FD so far, save for a single instance of the player refusing to navigate menus on a specific disc,
with the player locking up to the point that it required the Firmware reinstalled before it returned to normal operation.

since it's been a flawless champ ever since, i'm inclined to chock that one up to happenstance...
Mkard likes this.

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
post #31000 of 31008 Old 06-02-2017, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
my own BDP-05FD (with latest Firmware installed) is still going strong to this day. been experiencing STAR TREK TNG sequentially for the first time since it's original airing in my childhood,
gotten up to the 1992 season so far, with nary a hiccup from the 05FD so far, save for a single instance of the player refusing to navigate menus on a specific disc,
with the player locking up to the point that it required the Firmware reinstalled before it returned to normal operation.

since it's been a flawless champ ever since, i'm inclined to chock that one up to happenstance...
What is the consensus on the best settings for DVD playback? I have the 51. Also, I am on the older 1.37 firmware. I have only played some DVDs in the player since I got it used a few days ago. I'm mainly interested in seeing what it can do with DVD playback. If it isn't any better than my PS3 or standalone player, then I won't be keeping it. Thanks.
post #31001 of 31008 Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Well, I think I have some settings that are working well for me with DVD playback. I also installed the latest firmware (version 1.74). Has anyone else experienced audio drop-outs with Blu-rays via HDMI? I am using HDMI to a J-Tech HDMI switch fed into a sound bar and one scene on a Blu-ray had three brief audio drop-outs. I played the same scene with two different audio tracks and it didn't have the issue. I also cleaned the disc. I could try switching to the optical out, I suppose, but I wondered if audio drop-outs or playback issues are common?
post #31002 of 31008 Old 06-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
Well, I think I have some settings that are working well for me with DVD playback. I also installed the latest firmware (version 1.74). Has anyone else experienced audio drop-outs with Blu-rays via HDMI? I am using HDMI to a J-Tech HDMI switch fed into a sound bar and one scene on a Blu-ray had three brief audio drop-outs. I played the same scene with two different audio tracks and it didn't have the issue. I also cleaned the disc. I could try switching to the optical out, I suppose, but I wondered if audio drop-outs or playback issues are common?
Tim, I suspect that you have a cable or connector issue that gives you the audio drops. Not at all uncommon.
Another thing is to go back to early posts (#7?) and read some of the settings guides. The digital devices selected may possibly be an issue if you allowed a conflict. DVD settings are pretty much stock for viewing. As I recall, I fixed the output to 1080i for my display (at one time a DLP) and just left it there.

Optical out has some limitations. I think you may be limited on bit-rate to 5.1 and not able to send the MasterHD stuff via anything other than HDMI.

Good luck.

post #31003 of 31008 Old 06-13-2017, 07:52 AM

I will switch to another cable and test again. I have an Amazon Basics High-Speed HDMI cable, and I will use that. Thanks.
post #31004 of 31008 Old 06-17-2017, 02:12 AM

I am using HDMI from the BD player to an HDMI switch that connects my devices to the HDMI input on the Vizio sound bar. It provides limited audio options on the BD player. The disc is providing Dolby TrueHD, but my sound bar supports Dolby 5.1 and DTS, not Dolby True HD or DTS MA. So, I believe it is converting the audio to PCM. This is causing the problem with the audio drop outs. I can even replicate the drop outs on my PS3. On the PS3, however, I chose not to output PCM 48 MHz audio and the drop outs do not occur. On the BD player, I switched to the SPDIF cable and that gives me several audio options for Dolby and DTS, and I get great audio and the drop outs are gone. So, in actuality, I suppose it is the sound bar that is the issue.
post #31005 of 31008 Old 07-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I need a nice two channel cd player to play redbook cd's. A very clean, tested, working BDP-51FD with remote is on CL for $99.

connecting the RCA/analog to my marantz 1403 AVR for the best audio playback ?
was thinking of offering $50.

any other suggestions?
thanks

post #31006 of 31008 Old 07-19-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 984
I hate when people offer me half of what I list an item for on CL. I never accept it. Maybe this person will if he's just looking to unload the 51FD.

Good luck
Mkard likes this.

Afro GT
post #31007 of 31008 Old 09-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I am using HDMI from the BD player to an HDMI switch that connects my devices to the HDMI input on the Vizio sound bar. It provides limited audio options on the BD player. The disc is providing Dolby TrueHD, but my sound bar supports Dolby 5.1 and DTS, not Dolby True HD or DTS MA. So, I believe it is converting the audio to PCM. This is causing the problem with the audio drop outs. I can even replicate the drop outs on my PS3. On the PS3, however, I chose not to output PCM 48 MHz audio and the drop outs do not occur. On the BD player, I switched to the SPDIF cable and that gives me several audio options for Dolby and DTS, and I get great audio and the drop outs are gone. So, in actuality, I suppose it is the sound bar that is the issue.
Toonmaster,

I suspect that you might be right. On the other hand (gotcha!), HDMI switches are notorious for providing gremlins of the worst sort (intermittent baby?) to even the best set-ups. Mind, your HDMI components in the Pioneer are, to be polite, venerable. Marginal voltages on these old boards can also cause a lot of data grief.

Hope you are enjoying your nice old Pio -51. Mine is still ok feeding a 2016 SUHD Samsung through a low tier Yamaha AVR. This month marks the box's 9th year since manufacture. Ancient, but doing pretty damn well for what I ask of it in the family room. Still nothing better in the house for DVDs. Damn good for Blu-rays that it'll play.

good luck.

Last edited by Mkard; 09-20-2017 at 11:30 PM. Reason: got the year wrong. hey.
post #31008 of 31008 Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moic39 View Post
Hello,

I need a nice two channel cd player to play redbook cd's. A very clean, tested, working BDP-51FD with remote is on CL for $99.

connecting the RCA/analog to my marantz 1403 AVR for the best audio playback ?
was thinking of offering $50.

any other suggestions?
thanks
moic39,

I'd just let the seller know that his unit sold for $150 or less in 2009 as the more modern units hit the shelves. Ask him what his lowest he will take for cash, no questions asked. $100 is just silly.

Maybe it'll work. If not, There may be better brand new solutions for less than $100. The strengths of the Pio BD-51FD were in it's D-A transmittal and the analog audio outs which are still regarded as top-notch for consumer grade. For it's day, the -51D and -05 Elite also had stellar up-scale of DVD to 1080p/i and was very well regarded for a pure analog audio out to your amplifiers.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by Mkard; 09-20-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page