Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 30732 Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post

Actually, the current 51 manual (0708) is newer than the 05 manual (0630). The newer 51 manual includes a number of grammar corrections, but still contains the same language about audio output limitations when using component video.

John

Where might one find a copy of the 05 manual please

Thanks Dana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 30732 Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I came home this evening and turned on the 51 and performed the factory reset as described on page 49 of the manual. My player is now running 1000% better, and even Terminator 2 is playing.

My suggestion is to perform the reset immediately after updating the firmware, something I hadn't done.

Sounds to me since all of the units will be "updated" to 1.0, it might be best that everyone do the factory reset before doing anything else. Even for those who get their units with 1.0 software from the store.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #543 of 30732 Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

I suspect the basic video manipulations between video modes are independant of "deep color" tricks but as you correctly state this is still pending further investigation.

I would expect that all one would have to do is turn off and on the "deep color" trick to see if it makes a difference with any of the video modes. There should be a difference that one could see if it works.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #544 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Oh boy! I thought that the Patriot Games lip sync was bad... With the Mummy the player behaves kind of odd... The first sort of bug is that it freezes in several scenes.. You press forward and the freeze is over... Then if you press several times the forward (like to speed 4 or something like that) the annoying secondary audio and video indicators light on even if you have them set to off in the settings...
The only thing is that the image is gorgeous.. I really hope that they clean up these bugs soon...

I installed 1.0 and Mummy plays fine now. I did not reset the player before downloading the FW; just popped in the disc and waited for the player to shutdown. Took about 10 minutes. Lip-sync on Mummy is now correct and the picture plays smoothly after a chapter skip. As Ruined said, the player is still a tad slow loading, but playback is definitely improved. The demo splash screen is finally gone, as well. Thank goodness for that!

It amazes me how these updates can improve the player. And something tells me that DTS HD won't be the only upgrade planned for the 51/05. Deep Color is there, but I think it's dormant. I think Pioneer is still working on it, and that's why we're not seeing it yet.
post #545 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 02:55 AM

Here is my delema... I have Mits 1000 projector,Pio 1015 receiver,Swans 5.1,and sammy 1500. Is there that much of a difference on the 51fd for PQ & audio compared to my Mits/1500 setup? I have a lot of SDDVD. Or would it be better for now to keep the 1500 & update the receiver to a HDMI advanced audio receiver now and wait for the "NEW' Oppo? Is this 51fd as good as those Elite upconvert SDDVD players a few years back? You guys are the experts on this forum. You tell it like it is. Noy like those kids at BB.Thanks,again....
post #546 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I came home this evening and turned on the 51 and performed the factory reset as described on page 49 of the manual. My player is now running 1000% better, and even Terminator 2 is playing.

Resetting to factory defaults does not cure the "Top Gun" bug. Are you sure that Terminator 2 is fixed? Remember, the "Top Gun" bug dictates intermittent freezes that are repeatable; sometimes it works fine, other times it freezes with no apparent precursor. Meaning it might have worked when you tried it last night, but try it again a few times today and it may freeze. I don't have the domestic version of T2 to test, I will take it off the list if you can get it to load say 6 times straight in a row.

Anyway, it sounds like your HDMI connection was not detected properly by the BDP-51FD the first time around.

Quote:

My suggestion is to perform the reset immediately after updating the firmware, something I hadn't done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Sounds to me since all of the units will be "updated" to 1.0, it might be best that everyone do the factory reset before doing anything else. Even for those who get their units with 1.0 software from the store.

Factory reset is not a necessary step unless you are having serious problems like mrjktcvs was. Pioneer does state anywhere in firmware updates for any of their players that this is a necessary step. And, I tried factory reset on my first BDP51FD, none of the few outstanding disc issues were solved; got a replacement BDP51FD and it had the same issues out of the box. Also, about 10 people on this board now have updated to v1.0 without factory reset and have not had any major unexpected issues. So again, it is not a step you need to take unless you are having serious issues. In mrjktcvs' case, it sounds like his HDMI connection was not properly detected the first time around by the player - which was likely a problem with his specific setup and 0.80a.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #547 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After Further Review....

As I posted this morning, I was unable to get any video output to my AVR (which had "No Signal" on the unit's display).

Mine shut down when I was finished updating.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #548 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Deep Color is there, but I think it's dormant. I think Pioneer is still working on it, and that's why we're not seeing it yet.

Chris,

How about that? Is Deep Color running full tilt? Deep Color didn't touch light banding in Appleseed ExMachina. Is this a feature that can be cranked up in future FW?

BTW, I love this machine.
post #549 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Deep Color is there, but I think it's dormant. I think Pioneer is still working on it, and that's why we're not seeing it yet.

Deep color isn't something you're gonna see with Bu-Ray or HD DVD ever! While players and Screens might be up for it, Blu-Ray and HD DVD don't have the specs for it
post #550 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I installed 1.0 and Mummy plays fine now. I did not reset the player before downloading the FW; just popped in the disc and waited for the player to shutdown. Took about 10 minutes. Lip-sync on Mummy is now correct and the picture plays smoothly after a chapter skip. As Ruined said, the player is still a tad slow loading, but playback is definitely improved. The demo splash screen is finally gone, as well. Thank goodness for that!

It amazes me how these updates can improve the player. And something tells me that DTS HD won't be the only upgrade planned for the 51/05. Deep Color is there, but I think it's dormant. I think Pioneer is still working on it, and that's why we're not seeing it yet.

I also have firmware 1.0 installed. The problems that I had with the Mummy happen I guess due to certain conditions.. Let me explain, when I inserted the disk I selected chapter 4 and saw the anoying U control icon and the s indicators in the top right corner.. I stopped the movie and went to the players menu and turn off the the secondary/angle indicator... Afterwards I push play, and had to select the chapter that I was watching.. I wanted to move to a particular scene and after I fast forward (at speed 4), the secondary indicators pop up again.. I had to stop the movie, and went back to check on the indicators and they were set to off.. I played again the movie.. And now in chapter seven I had the first freeze.. I stopped the movie, play it again and in the exact same scene I had the problem (begining of chapter 7).. I simply fast forward that scene and left it playing. Again I had another freeze (I can't remember exactly the chapter) but I fast forward that particular scene, and afterwards the player played fine...
My guess is that through a combination of actions the player exhibits some bugs.. Hopefully they will fix it with another firmware...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #551 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
gonza,

After all those actions, I would freeze up too.

Did you try turning it off and starting over? Might have to unplug it for a few minutes.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #552 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterman View Post

I asked the exact same question last night, M1, but my post (along with several other member's similar posts) was deleted by our mod, Mark. He left this note:

I asked for clarification, but haven't heard back from him yet. Bottom line is...while I would like to discuss your question, I don't wish to go against forum rules and risk getting suspended. It might be that he prefers us to take discussions regarding vendors and dealer's offline. As such, you're welcome to PM me if you like.

seems like people could be seeing their 05's next week. certain websites have provided their first update in about three months and say it is shipping soon -- there's more purr shushing information there but you can go to that other website yourself to find it out. coupled with the reports by at least one person who was supposed to have an 05 within days, these are going to be out in the public.
post #553 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 AM

Finally solved my HDMI problems (bad Integra 9.8, replaced it). Even with FW 1.0 the 51FD is still a little buggy. I tried I Robot (wanted to hear dts HD MA) and initially it told me "Can't play disk". Then I saw it started to load, and player had "Still" on the display. Finally when menu came up on the screen I was amazed the damn thing worked. Very impressive picture and sound, run the whole thing through the Integra 9.8, which says dts HD MA on it's display so I know I'm getting source direct. Preservere, and the payoff is great.
post #554 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

gonza,

After all those actions, I would freeze up too.

Did you try turning it off and starting over? Might have to unplug it for a few minutes.

Good point.. I should of turn it off or unplug it...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #555 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post

seems like people could be seeing their 05's next week. certain websites have provided their first update in about three months and say it is shipping soon -- there's more purr shushing information there but you can go to that other website yourself to find it out. coupled with the reports by at least one person who was supposed to have an 05 within days, these are going to be out in the public.

Thanks, willyd, this is encouraging. I've got a date set for a complete HT install that I'm hoping I won't have to move. I want all equipment on hand for the programming of the remote system, and the 05 is the last piece of gear I'm waiting on.
post #556 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip913 View Post

Finally solved my HDMI problems (bad Integra 9.8, replaced it). Even with FW 1.0 the 51FD is still a little buggy. I tried I Robot (wanted to hear dts HD MA) and initially it told me "Can't play disk". Then I saw it started to load, and player had "Still" on the display. Finally when menu came up on the screen I was amazed the damn thing worked. Very impressive picture and sound, run the whole thing through the Integra 9.8, which says dts HD MA on it's display so I know I'm getting source direct. Preservere, and the payoff is great.

I will try I-Robot a bunch of times tonight and see if I can reproduce this issue.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #557 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

My main concern w/ these players (actually all players) are "freezes." To me this is the very worst kind of bug.

If you have people over to watch a movie and the image freezes - you have to suddenly turn on the lights, eject the disc, sometimes unplug the unit, wait for re-boot, try and find your place again, bla bla bla. Very embarrassing.

It's happened to me a couple times (w/ other machines) and I wanted to crawl under a rock. So the main thing I'm looking for in these posts are references to freezing and lock-ups.

Past Pioneer players have been Excellent in this regard. Let's hope once firmware is squared away - it will be the same for these players
post #558 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Shutting down or unplugging is not the same as a factory reset....

No, Top Gun does not work on my player with 1.00 firmware either.

My player has frozen with both sets of firmware, necessitating holding in the power button to shut it off. It has also lost video with both sets, requiring me to do the factory reset.
post #559 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroide View Post

I have a Pioneer 5070 TV which looks great with 1080p/24 (using auto setting on the 51 and Pioneer PDP mode).

Sweet! I have the same Pio display. Glad to hear that it looks great.

Aroide, can you comment on the PQ of using Source Direct output for 480i DVDs? Since the 5070 is a 768p display, some folks have conjectured that it would look better to have the 51 scale everything to 720p rather than using source direct.
post #560 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

..No, Top Gun does not work on my player with 1.00 firmware either. My player has frozen with both sets of firmware, necessitating holding in the power button to shut it off. It has also lost video with both sets, requiring me to do the factory reset.

You know, reading about all these freezes, lockups & power resets doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about these players. And discs being discussed are a few of the ones I own. Maybe thebland was right about being skeptical about these players

All I can say is that my Panny BD10 has given me zero playability problems. None. Not one disc has failed to play all the way thru even with the initial FW.

The main reason I want a new player is getting dts-ma & great PQ. That's it. What I expect out of a new Pioneer player is the same reliability & zero playback problems as the Panasonic. If I want to hold my breath everytime I watch a movie to see if it loads & plays all the way thru is pick out a combo HD-DVD disc & hit play on my Toshiba HD-DVD player

Pioneer should address these freezing issues IMMEDIATELY before too many get sold. That should be their #1 priority for firmware even before decoding dts-ma.

I still have my pre-order for the 05 in with VE but I will be pissed if this player turns out to be another Toshiba requiring "FW of the month".

ss9001

Steve
post #561 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

You know, reading about all these freezes, lockups & power resets doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about these players. And discs being discussed are a few of the ones I own. Maybe thebland was right about being skeptical about these players

Heretic!!!

I have to agree (with you .... + myself).

Both first gen BD players I own (Panny BD-10 and Denon 3800) have played every disc I have rented / bought of the last couple years.

Not sure what happened to Pioneer on this 3rd gen product but they better get cracking on fixes. Moreover, the fact that they shipped it incomplete (no DTS MA decoding) points to more issues than we may have even identified at this point. They must have gotten quite a good price on their new chipsets.. Not playing a disc should be a rarity these days. Obviously, most manufacturers are trying to cut prices for consumers, but it appears that other than the PS3, standalones have a ways to go..

I am still waiting for my test player to see for myself.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #562 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All I can say is that my Panny BD10 has given me zero playability problems. None. Not one disc has failed to play all the way thru even with the initial FW.

Funny, I was just about to mention the same thing. So far my first generation Panasonic BD10 is leaps and bounds better at handling BD's then the third generation Pioneer. Hopefully by the time more of these trickle in to stores, Pioneer will fix the problems. I couldn't handle getting ONE freeze watching a BD.
post #563 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
To be fair, the freezes I have experienced have not occurred in the middle of watching a movie. Once the movie has actually started, it has performed flawlessly.
post #564 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

My main concern w/ these players (actually all players) are "freezes." To me this is the very worst kind of bug.

If you have people over to watch a movie and the image freezes - you have to suddenly turn on the lights, eject the disc, sometimes unplug the unit, wait for re-boot, try and find your place again, bla bla bla. Very embarrassing.

It's happened to me a couple times (w/ other machines) and I wanted to crawl under a rock. So the main thing I'm looking for in these posts are references to freezing and lock-ups.

Past Pioneer players have been Excellent in this regard. Let's hope once firmware is squared away - it will be the same for these players

My feelings exactly along with lip sync issues. I can live with ( until fixed) freezes that result of chapter skips and odd combinations of button pushes, but once I hit play at the beginning of the movie it had better play through without any issues. I had an expensive unit that did not and I hated waiting for it to freeze up especially with guests. I have not gotten into bluray yet because of the perfomnace of so many units. I hope this one will be the one to get me in. I have been using an OPPO 970 480i out into a Lumagen Radiance and have never had one hiccup when watching a movie. I would love to get Blu though. So along with John, please let us know of issues when just watching a movie through

Thanks

Dan
post #565 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8N8 View Post

Sweet! I have the same Pio display. Glad to hear that it looks great.

Aroide, can you comment on the PQ of using Source Direct output for 480i DVDs? Since the 5070 is a 768p display, some folks have conjectured that it would look better to have the 51 scale everything to 720p rather than using source direct.

I didn't get that far, but will do a detailed checkout of DVD this weekend. I will also use a DVD calibration disc so I have something more objective to report. By old player is an Oppo so I have a fairly high bar set for upconversion quality.

BTW... I have D-Nice's settings on my 5070 for reference.
post #566 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
it's here! BDP-05FD -> Mitsubishi HC5500 projector. Direct Source - > Reon HQV is my main interest.

latest firmware. Can't test it until much later tonight, but thrilled it's here nonetheless.

it just doesn't have the styling of the classic elite LD players. Bring back the wood

post #567 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Not to get too off topic...but Panasonic has their own issues to deal with. I'm a Panasonic BD30 owner and we have a bug on some discs (Ruins/Drillbit to name two) where you have to turn off the 24 FPS option to get the movies to play. So, I would contend NO company's complete line of players is without the need of some firmware fixes along the way. Again, I agree the Pioneer's initial release performs poorly on some basic elements.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #568 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Drool...I want my 05 now!!!! Hope it ships soon. I ordered my first blu-rays this morning from amazon.
post #569 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

zombie.....Congrats!

Awesome looking box....Can't wait for mine, seeing one in the field drives me nuts!

Can't wait to hear some feedback....Do you own T2 or Top Gun on BD?

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #570 of 30732 Old 08-15-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it's here! BDP-05FD -> Mitsubishi HC5500 projector. Direct Source - > Reon HQV is my main interest.

latest firmware. Can't test it until much later tonight, but thrilled it's here nonetheless.

it just doesn't have the styling of the classic elite LD players. Bring back the wood

I loved the rosewood sides on the old Elite equipment. Been gone for many years now!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page