Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #721 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I just tested the deinterlacing cap of the 51fd.
There are good and bad news. With 1080, the
Player only fails the filter diagonal tests or in other
Words the jaggies tests in the hqv benchmark blue ray.

With sd is another story. It doesn't pass the jaggies test
That well. And also video cadence is not great. Std playback is better than the bd30 but is not better than the oppo 980 or the Sony s350.

, you say only ?? It shouldn't fail at all.

Was the 51FD set to source direct? Is there some thng in player to display chain that can cause this?

I guess I have to go and get me a copy of the HQV BD and see for myself, bummer if true.

Anyone else perform this test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
so the 51 should be able to play just about every audio formate out there right?
post #723 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ross View Post

and that was the last we heard! Did joe get eaten by the 51? Should we send search parties out?

Come on Joe, we're waiting for the first real analysis of the video capabilities!
post #724 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I spent about 7 hours going through my BD library on the BDP-05FD.

BDP-05 - > Mitsubishi HC5500 FP w/ Reon HQV on board.
BDP-05 - > Samsung 1080P 40" LCD

So far, I am quite excited about this player. Out of the box PQ is fantastic, love the capacitive touch controls and source direct output.

BD's

I am Legend
The Shining
Earth Wind Fire / Chicago concert
Terminator 2
Predator
AVP and AVP Requiem
Cars
Fifth Element
GoodFellas
Road Warrior (fantastic BD transfer)
Spiderman 1,2,3
Batman Begins
Twister

DVD's (for upscaling tests)

Strange Days
Terminator 2
The incredibles

I am pleasantly surprised at the internal upscaling, I find it to be quite close to my Reon HQV (tested on Samsung 1080P 40" LCD)

Haven't run into any freezing or locking issues. Not a huge TC fan, someone would have to give me the Top Gun BD to test.

Very happy customer so far. I can finally retire this makeshift HTPC and enjoy the simplicity of inserting a disc in and hitting play. It still isn't quite as slick looking at the Pio CLD-99 LD player. 1995-2008

post #725 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

BDP-05 - > Mitsubishi HC5500 FP w/ Reon HQV on board.
BDP-05 - > Samsung 1080P 40" LCD

So far, I am quite excited about this player. Out of the box PQ is fantastic, love the capacitive touch controls and source direct output.

BD's

I am Legend
The Shining
Earth Wind Fire / Chicago concert
Terminator 2
Predator
AVP and AVP Requiem
Cars
Fifth Element
GoodFellas
Road Warrior (fantastic BD transfer)
Spiderman 1,2,3
Batman Begins
Twister

DVD's (for upscaling tests)

Strange Days
Terminator 2
The incredibles

I am pleasantly surprised at the internal upscaling, I find it to be quite close to my Reon HQV (tested on Samsung 1080P 40" LCD)

Haven't run into any freezing or locking issues. Not a huge TC fan, someone would have to give me the Top Gun BD to test.

Very happy customer so far. I can finally retire this makeshift HTPC and enjoy the simplicity of inserting a disc in and hitting play. It still isn't quite as slick looking at the Pio CLD-99 LD player. 1995-2008

At lease the early results seem to indicate the the 05 with the 1.0 FW facory installed is what was expected out of the box. And it certainly shows the potential for the 51 once everyone gets the 1.0FW.

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #726 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

Was the 51FD set to source direct? Is there some thng in player to display chain that can cause this?

I guess I have to go and get me a copy of the HQV BD and see for myself, bummer if true.

If he set the 51FD to Source Direct, he wouldn't be testing the deinterlacing capabilities of the 51FD. He'd be testing the deinterlacing capabilities of whatever it was hooked up to (tv, video processor, etc).

The 51FD has better than average upscaling/deinterlacing (i.e. when it is set to 1080p), but it is not as good as a Reon (i.e. when set to Source Direct into my Reon) from my HQV tests. The 51FD's internal processing actually came pretty close to Reon's in a couple of places, though in the jaggies tests Reon clearly still had the edge. On the other hand, compared to my Sony KDS-60A3000, the 51FD's internal processing was far better.
post #727 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just a quick note. I have had the 51FD, since aug 6th from BB with 80 firmware. got fw disc on tues installed. played t2, I-R, Ruins, Sunshine, several SDs, only time I had a small problem was with Sahara SD some studder before FW 1.0. Great pic, SD, HD, love set up menus, vey happy camper. Just now want to upgrade to 05 love this unit. PQ is awesome to me. I do not under stand what the complaints are about. Thanks again GMAN for the early heads up on BB.

post #728 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats Zombie10k, that is a gorgeous 05FD you have there
If I weren't keeping the 51FD in a cabinet, I'd get me one for the looks alone

William06, yw!
post #729 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

If he set the 51FD to Source Direct, he wouldn't be testing the deinterlacing capabilities of the 51FD. He'd be testing the deinterlacing capabilities of whatever it was hooked up to (tv, video processor, etc).

That is what I thought as well
post #730 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 474
posts deleted...again

any more and posters will be asked to leave the thread

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #731 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

The 51FD has better than average upscaling/deinterlacing (i.e. when it is set to 1080p), but it is not as good as a Reon (i.e. when set to Source Direct into my Reon) from my HQV tests. The 51FD's internal processing actually came pretty close to Reon's in a couple of places, though in the jaggies tests Reon clearly still had the edge. On the other hand, compared to my Sony KDS-60A3000, the 51FD's internal processing was far better.

Ruined, regarding the 51's upscaling/deinterlacing. My set is 768p LCD. If I don't use source direct what would you advise going to my VSX01 Pioneer Elite than to the set?
Also thanks for continuing to update us and school us as we go.
post #732 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Is there anywhere to download the ver 1.0 firmware. Pioneeer promised that I would have the firmware by the end of the week and it did not come. I'm more upset with Bestbuy than Pioneer, so if I have to take it back I will, but I don't want to. Any help you guys can give I would appreciate it. Has Pioneer sent the disk to Bestbuy? I reallly don't want to have to unhook it, take it there, leave it then hook it back up.

Thanks

Jrhodus
post #733 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhodus View Post

Is there anywhere to download the ver 1.0 firmware. Pioneeer promised that I would have the firmware by the end of the week and it did not come. I'm more upset with Bestbuy than Pioneer, so if I have to take it back I will, but I don't want to. Any help you guys can give I would appreciate it. Has Pioneer sent the disk to Bestbuy? I reallly don't want to have to unhook it, take it there, leave it then hook it back up.

Thanks

Jrhodus

Don't know of any place to down load the 1.0 FW. Best shot is to hope the FW arrives today or get someone on AVS to sent you their FW disk.

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #734 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:15 AM

Just a quick report on my experiences thus far...and a question, because I might be an idiot.

Received my 51 from pioneer directly (ordered from their website) yesterday. Set it up last night, and watched the first half of Fifth Element, and Rescue Dawn all the way through.

I'm running HDMI directly to my Denon 3808, for both audio and video.

So far, absolutely no hiccups (yes, I know I've only tested two discs). Played both perfectly, remote response was excellent, PQ was really excellent. I have the player outputting source direct, and video set to 'professional'.

To answer a previous poster's questions, the audio and speaker options are greyed out for me as well, but I'm able to make adjustments once I have a movie playing. It's a bit odd (though, I didn't test if the speaker menu was accessible during playback).

OK, so here's my question...how do i know it's set to output bitstream to my receiver? When watching Rescue Dawn last night, I picked DTS HD Master, and the front of my receiver did indeed read DTS-HD MSTR on the display. When I went to look at the audio details it said 48khz...why did I think it should say 96khz? Anyway, if anyone knows, I'd appreciate an answer.

Only other issue, not the players fault, is that my harmony remote won't yet work with it. The 51 is in the database, but when i hit the 'update remote' button, the update errors out, and won't finish the update. says something about needing to learn the discreet on/off code, and some other error as well. If anyone figures it out, I'd love a heads up.

If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. As this is my first blu-ray, I only have 4 discs right now to test (Rescue Dawn, Fifth Element, Super Bad, and Juno), so I may not be much help in the specific disc testing arena.

OK, final question, I just remembered. No idea what HDMI high speed does, and if I should have it on or off, and also, under video, should I set it to 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or something else?

Thats all for now.

post #735 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohall View Post

Just a quick report on my experiences thus far...and a question, because I might be an idiot.

Received my 51 from pioneer directly (ordered from their website) yesterday. Set it up last night, and watched the first half of Fifth Element, and Rescue Dawn all the way through.

I'm running HDMI directly to my Denon 3808, for both audio and video.

So far, absolutely no hiccups (yes, I know I've only tested two discs). Played both perfectly, remote response was excellent, PQ was really excellent. I have the player outputting source direct, and video set to 'professional'.

To answer a previous poster's questions, the audio and speaker options are greyed out for me as well, but I'm able to make adjustments once I have a movie playing. It's a bit odd (though, I didn't test if the speaker menu was accessible during playback).

OK, so here's my question...how do i know it's set to output bitstream to my receiver? When watching Rescue Dawn last night, I picked DTS HD Master, and the front of my receiver did indeed read DTS-HD MSTR on the display. When I went to look at the audio details it said 48khz...why did I think it should say 96khz? Anyway, if anyone knows, I'd appreciate an answer.

Only other issue, not the players fault, is that my harmony remote won't yet work with it. The 51 is in the database, but when i hit the 'update remote' button, the update errors out, and won't finish the update. says something about needing to learn the discreet on/off code, and some other error as well. If anyone figures it out, I'd love a heads up.

If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. As this is my first blu-ray, I only have 4 discs right now to test (Rescue Dawn, Fifth Element, Super Bad, and Juno), so I may not be much help in the specific disc testing arena.

OK, final question, I just remembered. No idea what HDMI high speed does, and if I should have it on or off, and also, under video, should I set it to 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or something else?

Thats all for now.

48khz is correct - very few discs have 96khz tracks.

Go Duke !
post #736 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

I tested the 51fd. My projector has the genum chip though. I guess that I can always use source direct and let the rs1 do all the processing. I will test that tomorrow.

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #737 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I've run through many discs now and haven't had any hiccups at all since the initial repeatable ones I found. Probably not a coincidence since I put the most BD-J intensive discs in the player first to see how it handled them

I have divided the disc glitch list on p.1 to two categories: multiple confirmations (occured on more than one machine, implying software bug instead of hardware failure), and single report (unknown if hardware issue or software bug)
post #738 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I tested the 51fd. My projector has the genum chip though. I guess that I can always use source direct and let the rs1 do all the processing. I will test that tomorrow.

Might want to try that. I know the Reon chip is not perfect but it did outgun the 51FD's internal processing in a number of tests (aliasing tests especially)
post #739 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohall View Post

While tracks can be 24bit/96khz, it is worth mentioning that the vast majority of Blu-ray DTS-HDMA tracks are 24bit/48khz - as that is generally what original studio masters are stored as.

Most Blu-ray Dolby TrueHD tracks are 16bit/48khz or 20bit/48khz - in that case the studios implementing the tracks just seem to choose this rate more often, as TrueHD is just as capable as DTS-HDMA.
post #740 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Just a quick note. I have had the 51FD, since aug 6th from BB with 80 firmware. got fw disc on tues installed. played t2, I-R, Ruins, Sunshine, several SDs, only time I had a small problem was with Sahara SD some studder before FW 1.0. Great pic, SD, HD, love set up menus, vey happy camper. Just now want to upgrade to 05 love this unit. PQ is awesome to me. I do not under stand what the complaints are about. Thanks again GMAN for the early heads up on BB.

So it seems problems are not across the board. I wonder why we're having a variation in results. Display, receiver, condition of discs, player setup....?
post #741 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhodus View Post

Thanks

Jrhodus

Hang in there, Jrhodus. Did you get a case number from Pioneer? My disc took 2 weeks by UPS Ground and it was the wrong disc! A day later I received the right one in the mail. So keep calling them.
post #742 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

So it seems problems are not across the board. I wonder why we're having a variation in results. Display, receiver, condition of discs, player setup....?

Well, if you read the glitch list I posted on the first page, all but two of the discs (Dragon's Lair & Space Ace which constantly freeze) give intermittent problems. Meaning that they plays 100% fine sometimes, and will not play at all at others. That makes it tough to ascertain how problematic a title is as most people getting new players are watching movies (loading a title once), not repeatedly loading discs in an attempt to get the player to freeze. I think its safe to say that Dragons Lair, Space Ace, Top Gun are all definite problem discs for the casual viewer. Mummy seems to work okay unless you "stress test" the disc before watching the movie, then it is possible to make that disc freeze; since most people dont do that I assume it would be okay for a casual viewer. A lot of this stuff seems to be coniditional on BD-J state and just plain luck so I'm doing my best to keep the list on page 1 as concise as possible. You're relatively guaranteed a problem disc if it has "multiple confirmations."
post #743 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My choices are down to the 51FD or the Pana BD-50.
My concern with the 51FD is the lack of speaker delay since I will be using the analog outs to an older Marantz receiver. My surround speakers are a lot closer to the main seating than the fronts and center. (6ft vs 13ft)
Is there anyone in the same boat that has the 51, and is it negatively affecting the audio or is it something you can live with?

Thanks!
post #744 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Where did you buy your 05?
post #745 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My local BB has a 51 in stock.
Where do I get the 12% off coupon I have been reading about?
Thanks
post #746 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

Thanks

It was mailed to reward zone members but it has expired. Try haggling with a manager instead.
post #747 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

someone give me the # to call, i'll order a disc and post an ISO when it gets here.

Hi Biran,

Got my Pioneer BDP-51FD today - loving the picture (source direct into a Lumagne HDQ)

However it has the Beat/ v0.80 firmware / displayed the "NON-Final Demonstration Unit.Please upgrade to Final Firmware before selling" splash screen.

I got this imported from USA to Dublin, Ireland.

I'm not sure if Pioneer will even mail v1.0 firmware to me here in Ireland....

Did you get a copy of v1.0 from Pioneer & would you be able to post an ISO?

Regards,
Stuart
post #748 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneill View Post

Hi Biran,

Got my Pioneer BDP-51FD today – loving the picture (source direct into a Lumagne HDQ)

However it has the Beat/ v0.80 firmware / displayed the "NON-Final Demonstration Unit.Please upgrade to Final Firmware before selling" splash screen.

I got this imported from USA to Dublin, Ireland.

Did you get a copy of v1.0 from Pioneer & would you be able to post an ISO?

Regards,
Stuart

Anyone willing to mail their v1.0 firmware disc to me please?
I'd be more than happy to send a paypal payment for express airmail to Dublin, Ireland?

I have an ISF calibration scheduled for Thursday 21st & would dearly love to get the firmware updated.
My player is freezing up a lot (on v8.0) today from random testing.
No problems with picture (set to source direct & video set to Professional) into my Lumagen HDQ....
- but my ISF calibrator will be using either DVE essentials or HQV BD to test the BDP-51FD source direct output and it sounds like the beta firmware doesn't work very well when using these calibration disc.

I'll try test some of the various BDP-51FD video settings, to see what differences my ISF calibrator notices/comments on. specifically:
* video - PDP vs Professional setting
* HDMI - Auto vs source direct setting

My panel is a Fujitsu P42XHA58EB so I don't expect Pioneer PDP setting to be optimum for my setup.

Stuart
post #749 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

Thanks

The 10% off coupon that's included in every moving kit from your post office is also a good option. I used it myself to purchase the 51. Just make sure you get the current kit, b/c the old one does not offer the discount on Blu-ray players.

I believe the moving kit coupon expires in September.
post #750 of 30790 Old 08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pioneer USA will only mail it in the US. I'm surprised no one here has put it online yet.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page