Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Nice!

BDP-51FD firmware final retail v1.0 firmware Performance Summary

Power On loadtimes
~14 seconds for tray to open
~18 seconds for Pioneer splash screen
~22 seconds for disc load to begin

Summary of Open tray to disc's very first screen loadtimes

Bluray
* No BD-J, No BD+ = 30-35 seconds (Purple Rain tested)
* Yes BD-J, No BD+ = 40-45 seconds (Ratatouille tested)
* No BD-J, Yes BD+ = 55-60 seconds (Robocop tested)
* Yes BD-J, Yes BD+ = 80-85 seconds (Sunshine tested)

SD DVD
* 40-45 seconds load from open tray
* 3 second layer change

~

thanks ruined for the summary, have posted below some load times for the lx70a (95HD) for comparison though dont own any discs that you have

[quote name='alebonau' date='Aug 11 2008, 05:24 PM' post='1134580']
~

below some speeds to give you guys some ideas on the lx70a load times :

basically takes a minute if you hit the eject button and before the disc drawer opens from cold.

overall from cold :

I am legend, 1:45 to FBI screen from cold, 33 sec to FBI screen with the tray open.

die hard 4.0, 1:57 before picture onscreen from cold.

mr & mrs smith, 2:49 before picture onscreen from cold.

SD DVD, diana krall live in paris, 1:27 before picture onscreen from cold.
[/quote]

I am amazed with the 3 sec dvd layer change on the new 51. i dont own the disc you tried it on any other suggestions what disc and what time mark does this occur on so can try the same on the lx70a. to be honest never noticed a layer change !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

I am amazed with the 3 sec dvd layer change on the new 51. i dont own the disc you tried it on any other suggestions what disc and what time mark does this occur on so can try the same on the lx70a. to be honest never noticed a layer change !

Big Trouble in Little China 51:38

Looks like the major speed gains in the 51FD are in power on times.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #93 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Let me say Pioneer customer service is a complete joke. I've never dealt with such incompetency. Toshiba and Panasonic make them look really bad in comparison.

On any rate, I've been on the phone and have been transferred to customer service, parts, and operations. None of them claimed to mail out firmware updates and two people told me there is no such thing as a 1.0 update for the 51FD. Finally, the fifth person I spoke to finally understood and said they will be shipping the disc to me this week.

Pioneer, overall, really seems to be a very confused company today. The PQ and performance of the 51FD better make up for it.

I had the exact opposite experience today which doesn't mean anything..just proves the service is inconsistent. I called in on my lunch break..spoke to a guy for 3 min..he knew exactly what I was looking for. I didn't have a serial # with me and nobody home to check for me so I just called back....talked to a different guy for 30 sec. I gave him the serial # and he confirmed that the disc was mailed out to me today....I assume I will have it late this week.
post #94 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghislain View Post

I did, successfully.
Did not go through all the fine print but cannot recall seeing something about receiving automatic updates....

By registering the xa2 with Toshiba, I get FW updates all the time thru the mail. I don't have to ask for it...and it's free

I thought I saw something with the Operating Instructions package offering the same.
post #95 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

for those that got the disc. How about creating an iso image and post it somewhere so everybody have access to it.

+1
post #96 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Let me say Pioneer customer service is a complete joke. I've never dealt with such incompetency. Toshiba and Panasonic make them look really bad in comparison.

On any rate, I've been on the phone and have been transferred to customer service, parts, and operations. None of them claimed to mail out firmware updates and two people told me there is no such thing as a 1.0 update for the 51FD. Finally, the fifth person I spoke to finally understood and said they will be shipping the disc to me this week.

Pioneer, overall, really seems to be a very confused company today. The PQ and performance of the 51FD better make up for it.

What are people really expecting as far as "pq", I was under the impression that the differences with bluray are not all that noticeable (as opposed to DVD). Currently, machines half the cost of Pioneers are reasonable enough in terms of performance (speed, navigation) such as the Sony 350, I am sure Pioneer will not be setting any new records for speed but I think the consensus is that it will be right in there with the better performers.

The bottom line is that the only real mystery around the new Pioneers is whether they will work without glitches, sadly that is the state of affairs for the first few rounds of these things. I look forward to the Pioneer because it will match my receiver and I don't mind shelling out for a little more robust of a machine.
post #97 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Just wanted to post here stating that I just called Pioneer Customer Service and gave them my case number. I called them last Monday originally to get my firmware disc. The guy came back on the line after putting me on hold and said, “That’s odd. You should have received the disc last week. It was mailed out on Wednesday and it came directly from us here at Long Beach.” That should have put it in my hands on Thursday or Friday at the latest. Well, he said he’d put in another request for another disc. Ah well, C’est La Vie! I’ll have the firmware loaded soon enough on my player.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #98 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

What are people really expecting as far as "pq", I was under the impression that the differences with bluray are not all that noticeable (as opposed to DVD). Currently, machines half the cost of Pioneers are reasonable enough in terms of performance (speed, navigation) such as the Sony 350, I am sure Pioneer will not be setting any new records for speed but I think the consensus is that it will be right in there with the better performers.

The bottom line is that the only real mystery around the new Pioneers is whether they will work without glitches, sadly that is the state of affairs for the first few rounds of these things. I look forward to the Pioneer because it will match my receiver and I don't mind shelling out for a little more robust of a machine.

I am sure there are other things beside PQ that matter to people here. The 51 is a very quiet stand alone player that can bitstream, Direct Source and provide full HD audio (with expected FW) via multi-channel analog. It doesn't have a problem over heating and...well...it looks very nice.

Oh, what the heck...we want it for its PQ
post #99 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman View Post

kingair sent the mods a PM quoting the "Pioneer South Coast Plaza store" as a source (phone: 714-540-8000). I just called the store and they said that the demo units are not the same hardware as the full retail units. They said they have heard about demo units not performing properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I just got off the phone with a Pioneer Tech Support Person. He clearly stated (verified a second time) that the demo units sold by Best Buy are the same hardware as the units that are carrying the production software hitting the store shelves shortly. He was very clear about this.

Per Pioneer Tech Support: The Pioneer 51FD production units and demo units carry the same exact hardware. The ONLY difference is the firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Ruined,

I call today to get the firmware and they told me they ran out of disks.. They gave me a case number, etc.. and they will send it to me as soon as they have more... So I guess that this is also part of the delay...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14358701
Thank you both "The Robman and "rboster" for trying to sort out the hardware speculation. Also I would like to thank Chris for his postings on the 51. I do understand that Chris is not speaking or posting for Pioneer but only as a member of AVS and a enthuses same as the rest of us.
That being said I am sure that Pioneer will sort all this out in time. However keep one thing in mind if in fact there is a problem with the demo units (I am not saying there is). Pioneer being a world wide corporation will not make any official statements until all factors have been considered and also if there was in fact just a problem with BB and there employees then I would not expect any official statements coming from Pioneer.
And as far as you folks that got these Demo units knowing full well all the problems these units have and now being told the firmware updates are now out of stock I am sure in a timely manner Pioneer will be shipping you the updated firmware.
And from all I have read the real bright ray of sunshine is the two people that have gotten the 51 that does not have the demo firmware and not gotten from BB are very happy with what they are seeing and hearing.

I for one am looking forward to getting my non demo, consumer ready 51.
post #100 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I am sure there are other things beside PQ that matter to people here. The 51 is a very quiet stand alone player that can bitstream, Direct Source and provide full HD audio (with expected FW) via multi-channel analog. It doesn't have a problem over heating and...well...it looks very nice.

Oh, what the heck...we want it for its PQ

The PQ will be in the same ballpark as most of the other bluray players, both more expensive and less expensive. Many of the current players are quiet enough, can bitstream, provide full HD audio and don't overheat (except the Samsung). I agree with you, it looks very nice.
post #101 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I still don't understand why they won't post the fricken' firmware on their Web site.

The reason the 1.0v FW wasn't posted is because Pioneer America would have had to request that from the home office
in Japan. They would have asked "Why, we havn't sold any to
consumers yet" and Pioneer America would have had to tell them that their biggest retailer had violated their agreement and sold demo units to end users..could have gotten very messy.
I'm going to guess the cats out of the bag and if Pioneer Japan hasn't found out, it will when the request to post goes out. Damage control time!
Jack

INSANITY: Doing the same thing again and
again and expecting different results each time. (AE)
post #102 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I wasn't asked for a serial number. If I knew last week they wouldnt, i would have ordered it earlier than Friday.
post #103 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14358701
I for one am looking forward to getting my non demo, consumer ready 51.

Me too! When do you suppose that might be? I ordered mine from Robert at VE on the 17th of June. I had high hopes that I would have it in my system by now. Obviously that didn't happen.

It's looking like I won't have it in hand until probably September now.
post #104 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11
It seems that the other BDP-51 thread is locked. Is this the thread for general questions or just regarding FW?

--Edit--

Seems like this is the regular thread so I'll post my question here
post #105 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM

How does the upconversion of DVDs compare on the BDP51 vs. the Denon 2910 (a pretty good DVD player from three years ago?

Basically I'm deciding whether to include the Denon in my AV rack or just use the BDP51 for watching DVDs as well. Thanks.
rickster338 likes this.
post #106 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post

Me too! When do you suppose that might be? I ordered mine from Robert at VE on the 17th of June. I had high hopes that I would have it in my system by now. Obviously that didn't happen.

It's looking like I won't have it in hand until probably September now.

Well you and I think alike. And one thing I would think you can be happy knowing is that your pre-order and when you ordered it and also the fact that some of the folks on this thread could not hold there excitement anymore let go of there pre-order and popped for full list on a demo 51. you should be among the first to get your pre order for Robert and me of course.
post #107 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are the current Best Buy units still selling with the old FW?
(I have a pre with VE as well and they claim they are not getting any until last week of August.)
post #108 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 PM

the one i bought saturday still had the demo firmware.
post #109 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM

I also purchased mine this past Saturday from BB and it has the old firmware on it.
post #110 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerRick4A View Post

+1

I received my disk already and have asked for permission to create a iso for everyone. I have not heard back from the proper people yet. When I do I will let you guys know. The file layout is not the same as the HD1, 94 and 95fd. I dont think they want a bunch of bricked players.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #111 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy View Post

The PQ will be in the same ballpark as most of the other bluray players, both more expensive and less expensive. Many of the current players are quiet enough, can bitstream, provide full HD audio and don't overheat (except the Samsung). I agree with you, it looks very nice.

yes, but it is also a fact that the 51 is the only player that has Direct Source, Deep Color, and has optimized display settings for LCDs, PDPs and Projectors, including a customized setting for Pioneer displays. An ethernet port is all that's missing, and FW updates can still be downloaded to disc. How well these perform or be improved upon with future FW is yet to be seen, but other manufacturers are no doubt working on ways to include these features in their next line of players.

Not to mention the build. Have you seen how cheap those pannies look! Even the sony players look like toys.
post #112 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Most other Blu-ray players you have to kiss your resolution goodbye on 1080i Blu-ray Discs (all 30fps BD discs, concerts, documentaries, etc) and/or suffer with inferior DVD upconversion. 51FD you can source direct to a video proc and get top quality.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #113 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Can other people report on viewing DVDs on this player? Trying to see if the 3 second layer change was an anomaly or the norm as that would obviously have a pretty big impact on how this player works as an upconverting DVD Player

Thanks.
post #114 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post

Can other people report on viewing DVDs on this player? Trying to see if the 3 second layer change was an anomaly or the norm as that would obviously have a pretty big impact on how this player works as an upconverting DVD Player

Thanks.

Its not a speedy DVD player, but among the Blu-ray players its one of the few that allows you to output native 480i to an external scaler/chip for deinterlacing. So if you are looking for an all-in-one solution and have a nice video processor this is your best bet.

post #115 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

yes, but it is also a fact that the 51 is the only player that has Direct Source, Deep Color, and has optimized display settings for LCDs, PDPs and Projectors, including a customized setting for Pioneer displays. An ethernet port is all that's missing, and FW updates can still be downloaded to disc. How well these perform or be improved upon with future FW is yet to be seen, but other manufacturers are no doubt working on ways to include these features in their next line of players.

Not to mention the build. Have you seen how cheap those pannies look! Even the sony players look like toys.

I have an older RPTV so the direct source, deep color and other settings of the like have no value to me so if they make a difference and if none of the others have these features, then the Pioneer(s) are even more compelling. I agree with you for sure about the build quality, I had the Panasonic and now the Sony 350 and the better build is my main reason to spend more money when they become available. I have been close to pulling the trigger through the Pioneer store but I keep thinking that these are going to be showing up locally at BB in a week or so and with a 12% coupon, it may be worth holding off. But if this is going to be one of these two to three week things, I may just get it now.
post #116 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

I have the 6010 as well and I plan to use HDMI to my Pio 94 AVR, for your situation I would still use HDMI to one of the 4 HDMI inputs on the 6010 for video (I don't think there is any real difference in video quality between component and HDMI, but HDMI is just less cable clutter) for audio you are going to use analog from the 05 to your pre/pro?

I'm of the same mind (less clutter), just wasn't sure about the rumor regarding the 05 having some sort of improved component output (vs the 51's).

In any case, as to the audio, yes, I'd do the audio processing via the 51/05 and output it to my pre/pro via the multi-channel analog outs.
post #117 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

The differences between Blu-ray players is much, much smaller than compared to DVD players for sure. However, one of the biggest myths that needs to be abolished on this forum is that all Blu-ray players produce identical PQ at 1080p/24. This is not true. I and others have discovered slight, but noticable differences on our calibrated displays with various 1080p/24 players. Kris Deering just mentioned in a recent review article how the Denon 3800 was a bit crisper than the BD30. For example, I have found the BD30 to be superior to the PS3 (while others have not). There can be a difference in video decoders as well as internal player circuitry which does affect PQ. I've talked to a couple of credible individuals who say the 51FD is slightly better than the BD30. At this juncture and being the videophile I am, a slight improvement is rather significant to me so long as I find the price fairly reasonable (which I do for the 51FD if it exceeds my BD30 and considering I can sell it). I too just hope the Pioneer ends up being a stable unit as I realize it will probably take a couple of eventual firmware updates to get it smooth. I went through this with my BD30 for certain audio issues.

post #118 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM

Is there a definitive, yet, on the differences between the 51 and the 05, beyond cosmetics and improved component video out (in the 05)?

Outside of the firmware fiasco, I'm trying to decide why I should wait for the 05 if I'm going to use HDMI for the video connection to my 6010...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Theoretically:

(BEST) 51FD/05FD HDMI > 05FD Component > 51FD Component

how much of a difference is truly noticable in reality between the 3 is another story that depends on the quality of your TV's ADC circuit.

post #119 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The differences between Blu-ray players is much, much smaller than compared to DVD players for sure. However, one of the biggest myths that needs to be abolished on this forum is that all Blu-ray players produce identical PQ at 1080p/24. This is not true. I and others have discovered slight, but noticable differences on our calibrated displays with various 1080p/24 players. Kris Deering just mentioned in a recent review article how the Denon 3800 was a bit crisper than the BD30. For example, I have found the BD30 to be superior to the PS3 (while others have not). There can be a difference in video decoders as well as internal player circuitry which does affect PQ. I've talked to a couple of credible individuals who say the 51FD is slightly better than the BD30. At this juncture and being the videophile I am, a slight improvement is rather significant to me so long as I find the price fairly reasonable (which I do for the 51FD if it exceeds my BD30 and considering I can sell it). I too just hope the Pioneer ends up being a stable unit as I realize it will probably take a couple of eventual firmware updates to get it smooth. I went through this with my BD30 for certain audio issues.

"I've talked to a couple of credible individuals who say the 51FD is slightly better than the BD30"
Ok what do these folks bias your statement on. Do they have the non demo 51? If so what kind of displays are they using, what kind of calibration software do they use. Things like this i would like to know. And what is "slightly better"
post #120 of 30732 Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post

Is there a definitive, yet, on the differences between the 51 and the 05, beyond cosmetics and improved component video out (in the 05)?

Outside of the firmware fiasco, I'm trying to decide why I should wait for the 05 if I'm going to use HDMI for the video connection to my 6010...

Well maybe this may help you. There have been some references to the 05 having a firmer frame. I have a Pioneer BDP-95 with the cover off because the fan is not working. So by having the cover off, top and both right and left sides of the player have no support and the front and back sides are a bit loose with the cover off. My 95 has been this way for about 4+ months. I am waiting for the 51 to come so i can sent my 95 to pioneer at my expense for mailing to them for repairs.
So I see very little reason to spend $200 more for the 05. However I use HDMI 1.3 cables. So for me there is no reason to buy the 05.
My BDP-95 still plays everything the same as when the cover was on and for 2 and 3 movies at a time.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page