Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 93 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post

Anyone out there have a pronto and get discreet codes for on and off working with the 51FD.

I tried the codes for the BDP-95FD, the code for "power off" works fine but the code for "power on" toggles the 51FD. Maybe it's a FW issue...

Ideas anyone?

Why don't you just "alias" your ON key to be {poweroff}{power toggle}-- that will make it a defacto discrete power on.

XBL Gamertag: Robbo67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_wassell View Post

Where Can I buy the 51? My local BB does not have it. Is newegg.com the only place on the internet to buy the 51 right now? It seems to be on backorder every else I look.

Mike

I would wait for BB to get it back in stock which probably would be soon, alternatively, you can purchase one online from BB and have them ship it to your local store. You can also order it directly from Pioneer or from one of their authorized online vendors, DO NOT buy one from any vendors that are not on that list from their website.

I know alot of folks love to save tax and get one online but getting it locally is always best. The savings purchasing it online is not much more and it is nice to be able to exchange one if needed considering that these players are notoriously buggy.
post #2763 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless Robert ships with Saturday delivery (hint - I'd pay extra for that), it looks as if I would not get my 05 before Tuesday due to the holiday. Sigh. (And I don't know if I'm in the first batch.)

Steve
post #2764 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Stevel;
When did you place your order??
post #2765 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

Unless Robert ships with Saturday delivery (hint - I'd pay extra for that), it looks as if I would not get my 05 before Tuesday due to the holiday. Sigh. (And I don't know if I'm in the first batch.)

Is Value Electronics an authorized online dealer for Pioneer products?
post #2766 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
They are an authorized Pioneer dealer. They are not an online dealer.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #2767 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Companies with the culture and dedication to provide fast upgrades and fixes are the companies we need to very sincerely appreciate and support.

Great job Chris in getting this upgrade through engineering and posted so quickly.

-Robert

Yes Robert I agree. However this is the first firmware update I am dragging my feet on and waiting a few days to install. What I am seeing is something that is really fantastic so I want to make sure that is not going to change. Anyway I could care less about load times.
Also I have never seen a retailer give away all the extras you are giving away to us AVS members that have pre orders with you. Most any retailer would never do what you are doing. They would just cancel the pre order. But I must say I am disappointed because you will not sell me a 151 because of the 200 mile limit. Your my guy.
post #2768 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

You are not alone my friend. I'm rabidly awaiting an email from VE too. It absolutely kills me to know I ordered this thing back in May and still don't have a ship date (granted, that's not VE's fault). I've held out this long, but there's an almost daily temptation to just pull out and go to the local big box store. Let's just hope that Robert gets a decent allocation tomorrow and Tues...

Let us (or at least me) know if you do get a shipping notice. I guess I'll feel a little better to know that at least someone is hearing from them.

Scott

Will do...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #2769 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Yes they are (an authorized Pioneer dealer).

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #2770 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Companies with the culture and dedication to provide fast upgrades and fixes are the companies we need to very sincerely appreciate and support.

Great job Chris in getting this upgrade through engineering and posted so quickly.

-Robert

It is refreshing to find manufacturers who are as passionate about their product operating optimally as the enthusiasts who purchase them. Yes, it makes good business sense for a manufacturer to correct product deficiencies, but to turn around a firmware update so quickly when the player hasn't even hit most mainstream retailers goes the extra mile, IMO.
post #2771 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Use this utility to record that .ISO file in the archive to a quality CD-R (Verbatim, TDK, etc... NOT memorex or maxxell!)
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/Vista.htm

Ruined,

Will this work with standard Windows? If I must, I will download Nero...don't want to wait for the disc in the mail.

Has the new fw fixed those 13 second freezeups on Paramount flicks?
post #2772 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

That is what I thought, I knew they weren't authorized. They must be offering a major savings for some of you guys to wait around for the privledge of being on the slower receiving end and risking the nice 2 year warranty through Pioneer.

I have found that these things are just not that hard to get......I got a 51' from Pioneer in two days, I have seen the 51' in several Best Buys. As for the 05', they are either at BB or on the way, I have had two local authorized Pioneer dealers offer to get one for me from Pioneer in a few days, both dealers tendered nice discounts and not to mention the ease of having 2 years to walk into their store(s) with any issue and be totally catered to.
post #2773 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Ruined,

Will this work with standard Windows? If I must, I will download Nero...don't want to wait for the disc in the mail.

Has the new fw fixed those 13 second freezeups on Paramount flicks?

Yes it has fixed Hunt for Red Oct.. I used iso burner 1.1 it's free downloaded it from Downloads.com...

Dana
post #2774 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Was hesitant to buy the older 95 over the 05 but needed some reassuring.
post #2775 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM

What the hell is with the 60 second spinning disc icon at the beginning of EVERY movie I try to play? I mean, it's not long enough already after putting the disc in and waiting for it to be recognized, I now have to wait ANOTHER 60 seconds? And this is supposed to be a "fast" player? This is my first BD player and I thought my HD-XA2 was slow to load but how do you guys stand it? Is that just the way it is? Thanks...

Steve
post #2776 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

That is what I thought, I knew they weren't authorized....

They are authorized, just not for Elite sales over the internet (ie. placing the order over their web site). Calling them up and buying from them over the phone is no problem.

Quote:

... and risking the nice 2 year warranty through Pioneer

There is no risk. The warranty is in full force.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #2777 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana F View Post

Yes it has fixed Hunt for Red Oct.. I used iso burner 1.1 it's free downloaded it from Downloads.com...

Dana

Dana, thank you for that info
post #2778 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is what I thought, I knew they weren't authorized. They must be offering a major savings for some of you guys to wait around for the privledge of being on the slower receiving end and risking the nice 2 year warranty through Pioneer.

I have found that these things are just not that hard to get......I got a 51' from Pioneer in two days, I have seen the 51' in several Best Buys. As for the 05', they are either at BB or on the way, I have had two local authorized Pioneer dealers offer to get one for me from Pioneer in a few days, both dealers tendered nice discounts and not to mention the ease of having 2 years to walk into their store(s) with any issue and be totally catered to.

NO ONE is risking their warranty by buying from Robert at Value Electronics or any other AVS forum sponsor like Roman at buybestplasma.com and John Marty at Axxis Audio axxisdurango.com, that is a Pioneer Dealer for the standard models or the Pioneer Elite models.

This type rumor has been discussed many many times especailly in the plamsa forums and the buyers will be covered by Pioneer.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #2779 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Just curious, but does your Kuro allow you to set this stuff on a per-input basis? If not, how are you dealing with sources that can't send out xv.YCC such as a cable/satellite TV box?
--Bob

Bob, the Kuros allow different grayscales per picture type (Pure, Standard etc.). If you choose "User" mode, you can individually adjust grayscale per input. Unfortunately the gamma of user is slightly different and it's hard to get a good grayscale in that mode.
post #2780 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:50 PM

after explaining my problem (some bd discs not loading at all, particularly paramount or sony) to my dealer, he told me they had not been able to get anymore 95's and offered me an 05fd as a replacement. Any thoughts on the difference between the two? Is it worth trying to get the 95 repaired or are they just disposables now? Is the 05 a significant improvement

Thanks

System:
Sony VW60 Black Pearl 1080P
Stewart 110" Firehawk G3
Pioneer Elite 94TXH
Pioneer Elite 95FD
Rotel RMB 1095

thanks
post #2781 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

Hi Everyone,

The new firmware for the BDP-51 and BDP-05 is up on our website now...

Enjoy

Chris Walker

Wow! That was fast Chris. I've had my new 05 for only a few hours and now I can upgrade (thanks Robert)! So much for those that say Pioneer doesn't support these units.
post #2782 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

NO ONE is risking their warranty by buying from Robert at Value Electronics or any other AVS forum sponsor like Roman at buybestplasma.com and John Marty at Axxis Audio axxisdurango.com, that is a Pioneer Dealer for the standard models or the Pioneer Elite models.

This type rumor has been discussed many many times especailly in the plamsa forums and the buyers will be covered by Pioneer.

This rumor can be easily dispelled by someone providing language from Pioneer that shows that they endorse out of state sales from Pioneer vendors that are not in fact authorized online vendors. I haven't seen such language but regardless whether or not the warranty is valid, I still don't see the benefit in purchasing anything from a NY or any out of state vendor unless the price is so good that it offsets the potential hassle for service, returns and warranty. This particular item, the 05', again, does not seem all the hard to get so I still say unless the price is amazing, you can have your online experience and I'll take mine locally at a similar discount with more service options.
post #2783 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post

after explaining my problem (some bd discs not loading at all, particularly paramount or sony) to my dealer, he told me they had not been able to get anymore 95's and offered me an 05fd as a replacement. Any thoughts on the difference between the two? Is it worth trying to get the 95 repaired or are they just disposables now? Is the 05 a significant improvement

Thanks

System:
Sony VW60 Black Pearl 1080P
Stewart 110" Firehawk G3
Pioneer Elite 94TXH
Pioneer Elite 95FD
Rotel RMB 1095

thanks

I think the 05 is a significant upgrade to the 95,. I love the 95 but the PQ on the 05 is stunning. Plus with an upcoming FW update the 05 will decode all the latest lossless audio. The 05 currently bitstreams all codecs just as the 95 does.

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #2784 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 PM

AndyGood,
You have a few posts under your belt, so I can't believe you don't know this already, but Value Electronics is an A+++ vendor. There is no rumor to dispel. Robert's shop is a physical store in New York that is an authorized Pioneer Elite dealer. No online orders, just phone calls or in person. He is one of the good guys. Loves the technology and looks out for the consumer.
post #2785 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

Why don't you just "alias" your ON key to be {poweroff}{power toggle}-- that will make it a defacto discrete power on.

That's a good idea, at least until I can get the codes sorted out. Thanks.

Brian
post #2786 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Update FW issue

Ok, I'm on my Mac here trying to make a disk. I unzipped the iso file and burned it to a CDR using the buring program in disk utility. After that I checked the CD but it did not have the 2 files on it all it had was a packaged file like if you were going to mount a file to install on the MAC. I tried the CDR and it didn't work on my 51. Anyone else with burning issues on a MAC here?

jimi

im assuming you burned the cd using the .iso file directly thru disk utility, right? i did the same thing and is currently updating ok. it was able to recognize the disc. one of the files is hidden so you wouldn't see it. maybe try using a different media
post #2787 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiraca View Post

Now for reality to sink in folks. Since many here have had a chance to compare either the 51/05 to the Sony 350, is the performance difference worth the extra $300/400 dollars. The 350 will bitstream all formats up to 7.1, and many feel the 350 upscales better. Thoughts?

I have been using a 350 for a few weeks now and just picked up the 51FD today so I havent been able to do a lot of testing but the one thing I like and pointed out earlier if the source direct option which will automatically change the output resolution to that of the disc that you are watching. This is great if you have a scaler because it will change the output for SD DVDs to 480i and 1080p24 for Bluray's. I dont think I ever put an SD DVD in my 350

The 350 is great for the price and is a nice compliment if you have a receiver that can decode all the new formats but is very small and just doesnt look right on a shelf, actually looks like a carton of cigarettes. The 51FD is a great looking player that so far has performed just as good as my 350.

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #2788 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Anyone using the 51 or 05 via 5.1 analog with an Anthem AVM20/30? Just looking for opinions on SQ. I think the AVM converts the analog signal to digital and back to analog so I was wondering if that process affected the sound quality.

you will get better sound if you just use source analog-direct. analog-dsp is not shabby either but the sound is just much fuller with direct. the sound is awesome btw.
post #2789 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Use this utility to record that .ISO file in the archive to a quality CD-R (Verbatim, TDK, etc... NOT memorex or maxxell!)
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/Vista.htm

Sorry to disagree but if you want Quality CD-R or DVD SL +- use these Taiyo Yuden http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=TY

The only time I would use Verbatim is if they are made by Taiyo Yuden or for DL DVD+ then I would use Verbatim.
And for burning software there is only one in my book and that is ImgBurn.
http://www.imgburn.com/ (its free)
post #2790 of 30730 Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 PM

I just applied firmware update 1.02 to my 05. This updated fixed the 13 second freeze with Top Gun. However, I am still having problems with the Universal Screen Savor and the bitrate meter.

Case: Pause a Universal movie (Miami Vice in my case).

After a few seconds the Pioneer screen saver appears (normal).
Then wait about another 4 minutes and the Universal screen saver runs (normal).

If I press Pause or Play to resume the movie the time counters starts indexing but the screen saver remains. The movie starts playing again when I press the menu key. OF course pressing Stop works too. The movie should resume correctly when pressing the Play key.

Case: Press the Display button twice when watching movies to display the bitrate meters. When watching Blu-ray movies with DTS-HD MA audio tracks, the bitrate meter displays DTS and the meter is fixed at 1.53 Mbps / 2.00 Mbps.

Again, I am streaming to an Integra 9.8 Pre.

Overall I am very pleased with the 05 and Pioneer's excellent effort with fixing these initial problems.

Anyone else having these issues?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page