Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 958 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #28711 of 30789 Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Yes, error correction issues were seen with BDs, not DVDs (although I mainly use the 3910 for DVDs anyway).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28712 of 30789 Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Issues with my 51 - Seem to be only DVD related. Recently it has gotten very picky as to what it will recognize. I tried to play a "Dinosaurs" dvd, which I had played on it previously, it came back with unknown disc error. It played "MASH" just fine though. The other night I was playing "Sum of All Fears" (dvd). It started hesitating and freezing. I turned the power off and then back on, without ejecting it. It then played flawlessly through the rest of the movie. I also couldn't get it to recognize the v1.70 upgrade disc, so I'm still at 1.69.
post #28713 of 30789 Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf1 View Post

Issues with my 51 - Seem to be only DVD related. Recently it has gotten very picky as to what it will recognize. I tried to play a "Dinosaurs" dvd, which I had played on it previously, it came back with unknown disc error. It played "MASH" just fine though. The other night I was playing "Sum of All Fears" (dvd). It started hesitating and freezing. I turned the power off and then back on, without ejecting it. It then played flawlessly through the rest of the movie. I also couldn't get it to recognize the v1.70 upgrade disc, so I'm still at 1.69.

Could be that your red laser is dirty or malfunctioning.

post #28714 of 30789 Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 PM

Liked: 10
I recently aquired a BDP-51FD with the original 1.00 firmware. I'm still researching, this thread, but I recall reading somewhere that someone upgraded from a 1.02 to 1.65 and bricked their 51.

Should I do an incremental firmware upgrade from 1.00 -> 1.17 -> 1.32 -> 1.65 -> 1.70. If I should do the incremental firmware upgrade, where can i find these ? Alot of the old official links are now file not found

e.g.

hxxp://w w w.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDP-05FD/BDP_0551FD_Ver117.zip

hxxp://w w w.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDP-05FD/BDP_0551FD_Ver132.zip

hxxp://w w w.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDP-05FD/BDP_LX0551FD_Ver138.zip

Thanks
post #28715 of 30789 Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsnarl View Post

I recently aquired a BDP-51FD with the original 1.00 firmware. I'm still researching, this thread, but I recall reading somewhere that someone upgraded from a 1.02 to 1.65 and bricked their 51.

Should I do an incremental firmware upgrade from 1.00 -> 1.17 -> 1.32 -> 1.65 -> 1.70. If I should do the incremental firmware upgrade, where can i find these ? Alot of the old official links are now file not found

e.g.

hxxp://w w w.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDP-05FD/BDP_0551FD_Ver117.zip

hxxp://w w w.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDP-05FD/BDP_0551FD_Ver132.zip

hxxp://w w w.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDP-05FD/BDP_LX0551FD_Ver138.zip

Thanks

The official line from Pioneer is that these are not incremental upgrades. You can go right to 1.70 although I think one member here thinks it didn't work that way.
post #28716 of 30789 Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

The official line from Pioneer is that these are not incremental upgrades. You can go right to 1.70 although I think one member here thinks it didn't work that way.

Which could also have been caused by bad media/a too high recording speed/etc. Just use good stuff, do it slowly and all will be fine I guess
post #28717 of 30789 Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

erkq is correct; the firmware are not incremental. But since there was one user who reported a problem, if you want to "play it safe", I would recommend doing 1.00 -> 1.32 -> 1.70. HKan has given links to the old firmwares in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19740509.

Firmware 1.32: http://213.244.172.244/files/support...1FD_Ver132.zip

Dan.
post #28718 of 30789 Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

e.g.

Thanks

The one I know about they didn't brick the player the latest firmware disc just would not load he got the unknown disc message. So he went 1.17, 1.25, 1.32, 1.37, 1.65 and then 1.70 if my memory serves me correctly. This was perhaps overkill but he was being cautious.

Basically I would start at 1.32 and if that takes try the latest 1.70. If 1.70 doesn't load try 1.37 and then 1.70. Basically just work backwards till you find one that does load if the latest firmware won't load first.

See the post by info Dan for the link to Hkans post with the firmware links in it, they are also on Hkan's website at Pioneer faq here http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/bdplx71.php. There was a bit of nonsense about incremental updates which was not what I had said. I had recommended that member trying one or more intermediate updates as the latest version would not load for that member, for him it worked. For others they have been able to go straight from the initial release firmware to 1.65 and 1.70. This is however a known problem with the BDP-LX91 (US 09) same family of players as confirmed by Hkan and known about by Pioneer and why an intermediate update was suggested in the first place.

So there are obviously some differences in the players as born out by some having playability problems and some not and some being able to jump from release firmware to the latest issue without problems and others not able to to this.

Rick
post #28719 of 30789 Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM

I have a problem with my 51 that I hope someone can help with (and maybe it was answered in the previous 958 pages of this thread, but I neglected to read them all).

Not too long ago I did the first (and only) upgrade of my system to 1.70. Seemed to work great, allowing certain movies to work well that wouldn’t run before.

But since then, it has a problem where if I turn it off, it won't restart properly. It gets stuck starting up, and will stay that way forever. Pushing any button (aside from holding down start until it shuts down) just gets a wait response.

If, however, I unplug it overnight it will start up. Shorter unplug times (like 15 minutes) are not enough.

So presumably something is discharging and resetting.

Anyway, it all works OK if I leave it on 24/7, but any time it gets shut off I have to do the power cord thing again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Randy
post #28720 of 30789 Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Perhaps try to reinstall the firmware and see if that improves your situation.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #28721 of 30789 Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.
post #28722 of 30789 Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHF View Post

I have a problem with my 51 that I hope someone can help with (and maybe it was answered in the previous 958 pages of this thread, but I neglected to read them all).

Not too long ago I did the first (and only) upgrade of my system to 1.70. Seemed to work great, allowing certain movies to work well that wouldn’t run before.

But since then, it has a problem where if I turn it off, it won't restart properly. It gets stuck starting up, and will stay that way forever. Pushing any button (aside from holding down start until it shuts down) just gets a wait response.

If, however, I unplug it overnight it will start up. Shorter unplug times (like 15 minutes) are not enough.

So presumably something is discharging and resetting.

Anyway, it all works OK if I leave it on 24/7, but any time it gets shut off I have to do the power cord thing again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Randy

I have the exact same problem although I've been pretty diligent with the regular updates. No matter what BD I put in just hangs. No video output whatsoever (no HDMI light) although the cable is perfect and connected as usual. Plus no button on the player responds to anything except holding the power button shuts it down. Just sits on Top Menu but the TV / AV receiver is getting no signal whatsoever.

Boooh. Something has irrevocably crapped this thing out with firmware 1.70. I'm starting to look at other BD players. To hell with Pioneer....

EDIT: Just watched Unstoppable on Monday with no problems...
post #28723 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 06:10 AM

Thanks.

I suppose it may also be a hardware failure of some sort that was just coincidental with the upgrade I did.

Maybe I will also retry the 1.70 upgrade, as suggested abhove.

Anyone know if it is possible to downgrade the firmware to an earlier version to see if anything changes in my player?
post #28724 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.

Just a quick caution if you have not updated one of these before. Read the firmware update instructions carefully and follow them to the letter.

All operations during firmware up date are done from the front panel not the remote.

Once the update has started do not touch the player at all wait until the tray opens and the player switches itself off awhile after the tray opens. Then remove the disc and press the power ON button only do not attempt to shut the tray this will happen during power up. Then do any set ups you require.

Rick
post #28725 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHF View Post

Thanks.

I suppose it may also be a hardware failure of some sort that was just coincidental with the upgrade I did.

Maybe I will also retry the 1.70 upgrade, as suggested abhove.

Anyone know if it is possible to downgrade the firmware to an earlier version to see if anything changes in my player?

Its not possible to roll back the firmware (factory repair or some very expensive equipment and tech knowledge needed)

What is worth a try though is a full reset, this is done as shown below. If you can make a note of your preferred settings as the full reset will set these to factory default for the new firmware

1. Check that the player's power is turned on.
2. When a disc is playing, press STOP to stop playback. Eject the disc from the player.
3. Using the buttons on the player's front panel. While pressing STOP, press STANDBY/ON and keep both pressed until the player shuts down.
Switch the player on again and use Setup Navigator in the player setup menu to restore settings after reset.

If this does not help then try re-installing the firmware followed by a full reset as above.

Worth a shot at this stage not much to lose.

Rick
post #28726 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

I have the exact same problem although I've been pretty diligent with the regular updates. No matter what BD I put in just hangs. No video output whatsoever (no HDMI light) although the cable is perfect and connected as usual. Plus no button on the player responds to anything except holding the power button shuts it down. Just sits on Top Menu but the TV / AV receiver is getting no signal whatsoever.

Boooh. Something has irrevocably crapped this thing out with firmware 1.70. I'm starting to look at other BD players. To hell with Pioneer....

EDIT: Just watched Unstoppable on Monday with no problems...

Is your problem resolved re Unstoppable above.

If not perhaps a full reset will help if you have not already done this.

If you can take a note of your settings before the reset as the reset will set the player to default settings for the installed version of firmware.

To do:-

1. Check that the player's power is turned on.
2. When a disc is playing, press STOP to stop playback. Eject the disc from the player.
3. Using the buttons on the player's front panel. While pressing STOP, press STANDBY/ON and keep both pressed until the player shuts down.
Switch the player on again and use Setup Navigator in the player setup menu to restore settings after reset.

If this does not help then try re-installing the firmware followed by a full reset as above.

Rick
post #28727 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mark & Randy: Once you have done the full reset as suggested by Rick, you can also clear the BDMV cache by using Tools->BDMV Data Erase (detailled instructions on page 24 of manual).

Dan.
post #28728 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Mark & Randy: Once you have done the full reset as suggested by Rick, you can also clear the BDMV cache by using Tools->BDMV Data Erase (detailled instructions on page 24 of manual).

Dan.

Well spotted and well advised Dan, I must be getting rusty in my old age this is one factor that can also affect playback and I omitted to include it.

I guess also if all else fails for Mark the Red a lens cleaning disc could be tried as a last resort, the symptoms could be a dirty laser lens. See math geeks post on page 957 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=28701. Perhaps he could advise which one he used.

Rick
post #28729 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM

OK, thanks, I'll give those ideas a try.

Randy
post #28730 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Dan.

Wish that I could. I can't get any video output on my TV. Thing powers on and then just hangs. Tried HDMI and component and nada. I'm trying the disconnected power cord thing for 24 hours that Randy did, but I fear I now own a brick. Firmware reinstalls just fine; just no video.

You guys recommend any new BD players < $200?
post #28731 of 30789 Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I just switched from the 51FD to a 2011 Panasonic (the 110 since I don't need the WiFi of the 210). Watched my 1st BluRay movie tonight -- great PQ. Tiny player, though, compared to my 51 and a Denon 3910, which are like tanks in comparison.
post #28732 of 30789 Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wish that I could. I can't get any video output on my TV. Thing powers on and then just hangs. Tried HDMI and component and nada. I'm trying the disconnected power cord thing for 24 hours that Randy did, but I fear I now own a brick. Firmware reinstalls just fine; just no video.

Hi Mark,

One thing I notice you said the HDMI light was not coming on which sounds like a possible HDMI issue. You also say it hangs, does it ever get to no disc on the player display. If not you have nothing to lose try a lens cleaning disc.

Last and only thing I can suggest and then I'm out of ideas. You say no video from HDMI or Component. Have you tried the composite video output (single RCA out) direct to the TV.

With no disc in the player and connected using composite video see if you can get anything on the TV with the tools button to bring up the menu, if that doesn't work I guess it's for the bin. If you do get the menu, then with an HDMI connected straight to the TV as well, use initial set up to set your primary video to HDMI and see if you can then get video via HDMI.

There was an issue a while ago where some users were having a problem with their new AVR where they could not see video via HDMI on set up and had to connect via the composite out put to select the primary video as HDMI but I don't know if this is related to your problem at all.

Just a thought anyway otherwise sadly I am out of ideas other than Pioneer repair (may be expensive) or the bin.

Rick
post #28733 of 30789 Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the firmware reinstalls fine, then there is a good chance that it's just a setting somewhere, somehow, that has been changed. Could you describe your setup in more details? You mentionned an AVR, but say you can't get video on the TV.

- Brand & model of AVR & TV?
- How is the 51 connected to the AVR, and how is the AVR connected to the TV?

If somehow the video out blew on the 51, maybe the audio is still working. Try playing a regular CD, and check if you have audio out. Check on the HDMI, analog, and coax or SPD/IF outputs.

Don't forget that after a full reset, the unit will go back to the navigator setup screen. When you initially got the 51, did you had any problems going through that screen?

Also, there is a button [Video Select] on the remote that toggles the output between HDMI and analog. Have you tried it?

Dan.
post #28734 of 30789 Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM

I have an:

Onkyo TX-sr606 AVR
Westinghouse LVM-47w1

I have tried direct connecting the BDP to the TV with component and HDMI to no avail. I do however get "No Disc" or "Top Menu" displayed on the BDP. But the TV keeps saying "No source detected". Satellite & all other AVR inputs work fine.

Basically I watched Unstoppable on Monday. No problems whatsoever. Popped in Despicable me two days ago, still had a video signal but only the black pioneer screen (remote unresponsive). Now its done.
post #28735 of 30789 Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM

BDP completely unresponsive to remote control inputs too...
post #28736 of 30789 Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post

Just a thought anyway otherwise sadly I am out of ideas other than Pioneer repair (may be expensive) or the bin.

Rick

Aside: I love proper English; the bin. What a great word for it.
post #28737 of 30789 Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Don't forget that after a full reset, the unit will go back to the navigator setup screen. When you initially got the 51, did you had any problems going through that screen?

No. I had no problem. I tried video cycling with the remote but I fear the BDP is unresponsive. As the lim dimmed up but showed no reponse. Is there a manual reset button somewhere on this beast? If I take it apart, remove the memory card, format it, will that do it? Or is there a basic OS on the memory card that will excaberate the problem?
post #28738 of 30789 Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aside: I love proper English; the bin. What a great word for it.

If I take it apart, remove the memory card, format it, will that do it? Or is there a basic OS on the memory card that will excaberate the problem?

Hi Mark,

You are welcome

Really sorry to hear of your problems with this great player. From your other posts it's not looking too good it is beginning to look like a video problem on the main board or a laser problem. Did you try the basic composite video output, if nothing there then IMO definitely the video path or laser is faulty. Lens cleaning disc last resort or if you are up to it cleaning the lens manually, requires a great deal of care though.

The memory card is for the BDMV data only not firmware and although I am not an expert I think the firmware is retained on some kind of PROM on the mainboard, can't remember the type offhand (which I guess you could compare to the operating system) which is why specialist knowledge and test equipment are required to roll back the firmware.

There is no reset button inside unfortunately the only reset is the one I described earlier (front panel stop and then power button pressed continuously until it powers off).

We have seen a few bricked players on this forum but I guess in the great scheme of things compared to the number sold in the US and Europe (My local Pioneer Authorised Repair Centre has never had one in for repair) the percentage of failures is quite small. It's just sad it appears to have happened to you.

I guess it is decision time as to whether to go for a repair (From memory Pio US have a standing charge and if the repair exceeds that they give you a quote and you also have to pay for shipping ouch! apparently the US repair centres can't carry out repairs to the 51/05) or replace it with something else. IMHO I'm not impressed with the new Pio models and won't go there, maybe Panny or Oppo I don't like LG because I have had problems with some of their other products but a couple of their Bluray players are getting good press.

BTW from the few examples of total repair costs that I know of, this could be as much as the price of a new half decent player or well on the way to a top end Panny or the Oppo 93

Best wishes, Rick
post #28739 of 30789 Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mark:

1) You say the BDP sometimes displays "Top Menu", but the remote is unresponsive. Time for a crazy idea... Remove the batteries from the remote, and operate the unit with only the front panel controls. Very small chance that the remote may be on the fritz and send continuous signals (Hey, I said it was crazy)!

2) With that done, please try to just pop in a regular audio CD, and press play. Does it seem to work? Does the display show the track time advancing?

Dan.
post #28740 of 30789 Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Well it seems I owe Pioneer an apology. It seems the culprit was the HDMI cable. Not only ONE of them, but the second one too. It was only after a belated third HDMI cable attempt, did the HDMI cable light up and I got an image again.

Despicable Me still will not play mind you, but I no longer have a bricked Blu-RAy player. What are the odds of TWO hdmi cables being bad? Not normal for monoprice ....

Has anyone here watched Despicable ME on the BDP-51fd with 1.70 firmware? This is the first and ONLY BD that has ever not worked for me?

I still think something fishy was going on with the player (freezing; unresponsive to all other video out cables, etc) but it appears the HDMI cable was what was causing the trouble
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Excellent Pioneer Bdp 05fd Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page