AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA

4M views 31K replies 2K participants last post by  Mustangjeff 
#1 ·
#30,261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by natess  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30240#post_22855935

is the latest firmware for the 05fd 1.73?

if not, what is and where can i d/l it?

thanks!

natess,

Are you having trouble with 1.73? Let us know please.

Best all around resource for everything Pio 05/51fd is kindly provided by a contributor Hkan at : http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/bdplx71.php

Includes link to most recent Euro and North American FW releases. Nice place to browse.

Good luck,

Mkard

#30,262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by natess  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30240#post_22855935

is the latest firmware for the 05fd 1.73?

if not, what is and where can i d/l it?

thanks!

Yes, v1.73 is the last firmware distributed.  The last update was April 25, 2012.

You can access Pioneer's firmware support and updates for the BDP-05FD here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/BDP-05FD?tab=firmware

#30,263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30240#post_22857894

Yes, v1.73 is the last firmware distributed.  The last update was April 25, 2012.

You can access Pioneer's firmware support and updates for the BDP-05FD here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/BDP-05FD?tab=firmware

well, my mom bought a bluray 'downton abbey season 1' and when she plays it there is a crackling noise the entire time.

all other BR's work in the BR player and this downton abbey BR works in my friends brand new BR player.

so i'm not sure what the issue is sound wise. i d/l'ed and installed 1.73 last night and the crackling sound still occurs.

#30,264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by natess  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30240#post_22858946

well, my mom bought a bluray 'downton abbey season 1' and when she plays it there is a crackling noise the entire time.

all other BR's work in the BR player and this downton abbey BR works in my friends brand new BR player.

so i'm not sure what the issue is sound wise. i d/l'ed and installed 1.73 last night and the crackling sound still occurs.

I have Downton Abbey seasons 1 & 2 and all of the discs play fine in my 51.

#30,268 ·
I've looked at some of the posts in here, but not all of them. I have my Pio 51Fd connected via HDMI to my television. And I have the Television connected via Optical Digital out to my Reciever. My reciever is older and doesn't have any HDMI inputs or outputs.

I have andother DVD player, as well as my Sat receiver also connected to the TV via HDMI. Both the DVD player and the Satellite and also OTA TV send Dolby digital 5.1 out through the TV digital Optical out to my Receiver. But I can't get Dolby digitail 5.1 out from the Pio BDP 51. I do get PCM and ProLogic II , but not DD 5.1.

Is there a setting in the Pio i need to use?

Thanks

rick

#30,269 ·
^^^^^^^^^ If your receiver shows the number of channels being received as well as indicating PCM, then it sounds as if your 51 is taking care of the decoding. To check this.........
With a disc in 51 that has been STOPPED, press Home Menu on the remote

Select Initial Set Up

Select HDMI

Select HDMI Audio Out

There should now be two choices - PCM (player doing the decoding) & Auto (Bitstream output, either DD or DTS)

Select Auto and see if your AVR now shows DD5.1 (or DTS depending on the disk)

#30,270 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by natess  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30240#post_22858946

Did you do a full factory reset and re-input your settings after firmware update, highly recommended you do this, it has been known to cure all sorts of ill's.

You have not said if you are connected direct to a TV via HDMI or going HDMI to an AVR and then HDMI to the TV.

If you have an AVR it may well be that it is not your 05 but the AVR causing the problems, I had problems on a slightly older AVR with 7.1 Dolby Digital True HD and it turned out the AVR needed a firmware update and it was not my 05 at all.

As it is only the one BluRay it is unlikely to be a connection issue. Worth checking if you can get another BD player hooked up to your system and see if the crackle is still there. This will at least isolate the problem to the player or what the player is connected to.

#30,272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjardine  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30270#post_22866697

^^^^^^^^^ If your receiver shows the number of channels being received as well as indicating PCM, then it sounds as if your 51 is taking care of the decoding. To check this.........
With a disc in 51 that has been STOPPED, press Home Menu on the remote

Select Initial Set Up

Select HDMI

Select HDMI Audio Out

There should now be two choices - PCM (player doing the decoding) & Auto (Bitstream output, either DD or DTS)

Select Auto and see if your AVR now shows DD5.1 (or DTS depending on the disk)

thanks. I tried this and i see that the HDMI audio out was greyed out, and wouldn't let me switch. after looking some more, I checked the options menu and found the HDMI audio out was set to Digital out. I changed it to HDMI and then went back and now I'm getting the receiver to see DD 5.1. I'm not sure how it will handle DTS yet.

Thanks again, your post helped me find my problem.

Thanks

rick

#30,273 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocat  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30270#post_22869513

I just installed the 1.73 update and it works flawlessly.

Been on 1.73 since it came out, never had any problems and still working fine. What surprises me is how long this update has been out (getting toward a year now) and the 05 is playing everything thrown at it. Newer BD players are needing regular updates every few months or so. I have noticed this that as the player gets older they seem to need less and less frequent updates. Noticed this with the Panasonic the 05 replaced and now the 05 does not seem to need updates so frequently, used to be about every 3 months or so. I wonder if there is message there somewhere.

#30,274 ·
Hello,

I am having trouble with my 51F. It is refusing to play any/all Blue Ray discs. The problem started after a power loss while in the middle of playing a BR disc. It will play regular discs, no problem. Did the power failure kill it's ability to read blue ray? It's on FW 1.73. Thanks for any responses.

Cheryl

#30,275 ·
I have a BDP-05FD and I keep getting a "no disc" indication when I try to install the firmware update disc. As instructed, I load the disc using the front panel controls, then it says CLOSE, then it says LOAD, then it says NO DISC. Has anyone else had this problem and is there any way to resolve it? All my BD and DVD discs play perfectly in it. I just can't get it to read the update! Thanks in advance for your help.

#30,276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly921  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30270#post_22880627

Hello,

I am having trouble with my 51F. It is refusing to play any/all Blue Ray discs. The problem started after a power loss while in the middle of playing a BR disc. It will play regular discs, no problem. Did the power failure kill it's ability to read blue ray? It's on FW 1.73. Thanks for any responses.

Cheryl

Mmm does sound a bit like the blue laser may have been damaged. It is possible it was just the firmware that got corrupted so one thing you can try is a factory reset and see if that cures the problem. Before you do that as shown below, make sure there is no disc in the player and make a note of all your personal preferred settings doing a factory reset will reload all the firmware to factory default.

Factory reset as follows

With the player powered up and no disc in the drive using the front panel buttons on the player (not the remote)

While pressing STOP, press and hold STANDBY/ON. The player will shut down and restart. Use Setup Navigator in the player setup menu to restore initial settings after reset. Then apply your own personal settings.

If that does not work then it is most likely the blue laser is defective. Repair is expensive if it is at all possible now.

Best of luck

PS if none of the above is successful you could try reinstalling the firmware followed by a factory reset. But before you do that remove the electrical supply from the player completely and leave it for about an hour to allow any effects from surges etc. from the sudden loss of power to leak away.

#30,277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusch69  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30270#post_22880854

I have a BDP-05FD and I keep getting a "no disc" indication when I try to install the firmware update disc. As instructed, I load the disc using the front panel controls, then it says CLOSE, then it says LOAD, then it says NO DISC. Has anyone else had this problem and is there any way to resolve it? All my BD and DVD discs play perfectly in it. I just can't get it to read the update! Thanks in advance for your help.

Two possibilities here as far as I can see. Did you get the firmware disc from Pioneer or did you down load it and burn it yourself. If you down loaded it note that it needs to be burned as a disc image.

Have you tried an ordinary music CD and if so does that play OK, if it does not and shows NO DISC then every likelyhood the Red laser has gone defective. If it plays OK then thats good, there is something wrong with the firmware disc you are trying to load it is either damaged or dirty, check it for scratches, dust or finger marks and carefully clean it if necessary.

If you burned it yourself, then burn process was maybe not correct. There are so many different ways to burn an image these days with different operating systems and programs that I or others would need to know a little more about what you used to burn the firmware image file to disc to be able to assist further.

Note as I posted above that if the red laser is defective that a repair will be expensive and I am not sure if Pioneer still have the parts to affect the repair. Drives are available on the net but expensive and would probably need a third party service engineer to install it, it is not a simple case of just replacing the drive.

#30,279 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly921  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30270#post_22884106

Rick,

Will give your advice a go and let you know if it works. I only paid $20.00 for this so if it's beyond repair do you reccomend a replacement.

P.S. I have had it unplugged for several days, but without any reset/reload and no difference. FWIW.

Cheryl

Charly,

Rick has the steps absolutely correct. Follow instructions re: power down and un-plug. Re-power and immediately go through "Factory Reset". Then do a re-install of FW 1.73 per printed instructions. His catch of disc format (CD-data) is important to the process.

Sadly, if you purchased at $20, I'd be not surprised if the unit's blu-laser head (did I get that right?) had been failing before you got it. The un-scheduled powerdown likely didn't help. Recommendations for replacement would very much depend on what you need. What gear do you have, what is most important to you (movies, BD, DVD, or audio, etc) and where you plan to go in the next year or so. There are good sub-$200 other brand units out there new, and really fine used from Panasonic, Pioneer (BD-51fd forever!!) and even refurb'd OPPOs at a not impossible cost. It all depends on what is important to your needs.

I'm hoping that Rick's advice pans out for you. Good luck.

Mkard

p.s. Really dumb question: have you run a good BD/DVD cleaner disk, or blown out (first step, IMHO) the unit? I have read of a few "miraculous" recovery stories, just due to a thorough cleaning. Search thread for "cleaning disassembly" and you might get a break. As you've read here in 1000+ pages, these players have virtues worth preserving when possible.

#30,280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly921  /t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-b...-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/30270#post_22884106

Rick,

Will give your advice a go and let you know if it works. I only paid $20.00 for this so if it's beyond repair do you reccomend a replacement.

P.S. I have had it unplugged for several days, but without any reset/reload and no difference. FWIW.

Cheryl

Charly,

Just a note.

If after clean-up you still don't have blu-ray, all is not lost. You still have a killer DVD player that upscales 480i (DVD video) to 1080p at a level that is almost un-matched by anything on the "consumer" market today. 10yr-old DVD pressings will rival Blu-ray in video presentation. And, for that $20, you will have a really elegant CD player that can output a stellar 2-ch analog direct to your amp/receiver for fantastic music play. Try it. Those 5yr-old Wolfsen DAC's are incredibly nice even by today's technology. You would have to spend 20 times what you did, on today's market, to get a DVD/CD player with the analog-out clarity and detail that you now have .

For blu-ray, you can spend $159 at Costco and get a Panasonic BDP-220 which will do nicely for BD's, and leave everything else to the Pio BD-51fd. Things have a way of working out.

Best of luck, regardless.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.