AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA

4M views 31K replies 2K participants last post by  Mustangjeff 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Copying this from the new thread I presumptiously started:

I'm waiting on the slow boat from Japan to deliver my Power-Bought 05FD, and would like to read more from the likes of Ruined about how everything is going with the 51FD.

I am particularly interested in the analog-out decoding of the lossless audio formats, and how everything is sounding without the benefit of distance settings and advanced BM.

I am also surprised, as many others are, that there is no FW update available online for these; it would seem very 20th-Century not to have this available (unless Pioneer is waiting fo the Beta-Testers, I mean First-Users, to report enough problems to make the new FW obsolete...)

#5 ·
i placed my request today thru customer service no. 1-800-421-1404. to those looking for old info can just use the cached pages in google search for the meantime.

here's one of the impt info we need to save

========================================================

Originally Posted by BigDad

From the Pioneer website (for the BDP-95FD):

A. Check the current firmware version of the player:

You can also use the remote control.

1. Press the "STANDBY/ON" button to switch the unit on.

2. If the player starts to play a disc, press the "STOP" button and wait until the Pioneer logo is displayed on your TV.

3. Press the "Home Menu" button.

4. Select "Initial Setup" then press "Enter."

5. Select "Video Out" then press "Enter".

6. Select "TV Aspect Ratio" then press Enter.

7. Press the "Blue" button on the remote control.

8. The firmware version of your player will be displayed in the bottom right portion of the TV screen.

=========================================================

#6 ·
As a 6010 owner, what would be my optimum video hookup -- component or HDMI, with either the 51 or the 05?

I'm assuming I should simply use the processor in the 6010, versus either of these video processor's?

I understand the 05 has some sort of enhanced (?) processing of some sort for its component output, yet I should still stick with the 6010's processor, no?

As a general 05 question, though, if it's true the 05's component video processing is enhanced in some way, is that output going to be superior to its HDMI video performance?

I dunno if this is relative, but I'll be transmitting audio via the variable outputs to my pre/pro.

#7 ·
FAQ & BUG LIST

NEW 1.65 FIRMWARE LOCATED HERE:
http://www.pioneer.de/files/support/...1FD_Ver165.zip

PROGRAMS TO BURN FIRMWARE
ImgBurn
ISO Recorder

RECOMMENDED STARTER SETTINGS FOR HDMI SETUPS [click below]
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Recommended settings for HDMI setups

HOME MENU (STOP playback of any Blu-ray Discs)

Video Out

-TV Aspect Ratio: 16:9/Widescreen

-4:3 Video Out: Normal

-DVD 16:9 Video Out: Letterbox

-Still Picture: Auto

Audio Out

-N/A unless you are not using HDMI, in which case pick appropriate setting

Speakers

-N/A unless you are not using HDMI, in which case pick appropriate setting

HDMI

-HDMI High-Speed Transmission: On

-HDMI Color Space: Auto

-HDMI Audio Out: PCM (Switch to Auto if you want DTS-MA bitstreaming, but you will lose audio on PiP commentaries)

-PQLS: Auto

-HDMI Control: Off

Language

-N/A unless you are using a language other than English, in which case pick appropriate setting

Parental Lock

-N/A unless you need parental lock, in which case pick appropriate setting

Options

-Output Terminal Priority: Next Screen then HDMI/HDMI or appropriate setting

-On Screen Display: On

-Angle/Secondary Indicator: Off

-Hybrid Disc Playback: BD

-BDMV/BDAV Playback Priority: BDAV

-Auto Power Off: On (or your preference)

Setup Navigator

-Run this the first time you use the player or after a factory reset is performed.

VIDEO ADJUST MENU (While Blu-ray Disc is playing)

Set to "Professional"

RESOLUTION MENU (While BD disc is playing, RESOLUTION UP/DOWN BUTTONS on remote)

-Set to "AUTO" for internal processing; on v1.17 firmware internal processing beats HQV Reon - also holds true for KURO sets, AUTO will provide you a better picture as the 51/05 internal upscaling is better than the Kuro's upscaling

-Set to "Source Direct" if you need to force 24p or have a very high end scaler i.e. DVDO Edge, Lumagen Radiance, etc

===================================================

PROCEDURES
- To get rid of the little black boxes in the upper right-hand corner:

* In the player setup menu, go to "Options" and set "Angle/Secondary Indicator" to OFF.

- To check your firmware version:

* In the player setup menu, go to "Video Out," highlight 16:9 under TV Aspect Ratio and press the blue button.

- To "reboot" the player if it has become unresponsive:

* Hold the power button on the front of the player for 5-10 seconds.

- To perform a factory reset: [click below] (try this if you are experiencing strange issues after FW upgrade)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) 1. Check that the player’s power is turned on.

2. When a disc is playing, press STOP to stop playback.

Eject the disc from the player.

3. While pressing STOP, press STANDBY/ON.

Operate using the buttons on the player’s front panel.

* Use Setup Navigator in the player setup menu to restore settings after reset.

- I have lost video and/or sound after a firmware upgrade, what do I do:

* Perform a factory reset as described above and clear BDMV data.

- I have a rental Blu-ray Disc that is skipping. What do I do? [click below]
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Go to Rite Aid, CVS, or a camera store and buy the grey non-abrasive microfiber lens cleaner cloth (comes in a black pouch) and also their lens cleaner spray solution. Spray Blu-ray rental disc prior to playback, clean off **** that careless renters have accumulated on disc. Problem solved.

Or, if you prefer to buy online:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ens_Cloth.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Cleaner.html

- I have a 1080p HDTV. What resolution do I set the 51/05 to? [click below]
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) You have the following options using the resolution buttons on the remote:

1. AUTO - Best bet for most people. Detects if your TV is 1080p24 capable and sends 1080p24 if so. If not, it will send 1080p60. Deinterlacing/upconversion is done internally, and with firmware 1.17 the internal processing beats my Reon HQV chip. This setting also works well for sets that do not support 1080p. Make sure High Speed HDMI is on otherwise you will have issues getting 1080p/24 output with this setting.

2. Source Direct - Best bet for those with a very high-end scaler like DVDO Edge or those that need to force 24p. Bypasses internal processing and sends the source resolution of every disc to the display device/external processor - 1080p24 or 1080i60 for Blu-ray, 480i for DVD. This is also a good setting to use if you want 1080p24 for Blu-ray & you cannot get High Speed HDMI to work with your HDTV.

3. 1080p - Best bet if your TV has compatibility issues with 1080p24. This setting will have the player output 1080p60 all the time, using internal video processing to deinterlace & upscale 480i/1080i.

-I am using the multichannel analog outputs and have little to no bass... What gives? [click below]
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) * This is not a player issue. The problem is that your receiver is failing to apply the standard +10db gain to the LFE channel of the receiver's multichannel analog inputs. As a result, your LFE may be 10-15db quieter than it should be. To compensate for this, take the below steps.

1. Disable bass management on the 51FD/05FD. In other words, set all speakers to large and subwoofer to Yes. This will increase your LFE response by about 5db if you were previously using bass management. However that is not enough to fully compensate for your receiver's failure to amplify the LFE. You must also...

2. Set channel trims on the 51FD so that all speakers are net -10db lower than the sub. For instance, set the mains, center, and surrounds to -5db, while the sub is set to +5db. This combined with step #1 should close the gap. You are better off doing this in the player instead of the receiver, because doing it in the receiver will cause the LFE to be way off for all of your other sources.

If you follow both of these steps, you should have a workable decent LFE channel. It may not be perfect, but with your particular setup it is probably the best you are going to do.

-My 4:3 DVDs @ 1.33:1/fullscreen aspect are horizontally stretched, what do I do? [click below]
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) 1. Stop disc playback and go to "HOME"/setup menu

2. Go to "Video Out"

3. Go to "4:3 Video Out" and set to "NORMAL"

-Okay I just did that but my widescreen nonanamorphic DVDs have bars on all sides now?

* Simply use your TV's zoom mode.

-I tried the recommended settings and my blacks and/or whites appear crushed, or the image is overly dark!

* Under HDMI/Colorspace in the HOME MENU, try setting it to RGB 16-235. If that does not work try RGB 0-255. One of the two should give you proper black/white levels, the other one will have crushed blacks/whites (i.e. look overly dark).

-My player gives me a red screen whenever I watch BD+ protected/20th Century Fox/MGM Blu-ray Discs... What do I do?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Click here for info on the fix.

BUGS

--
Blu-ray General Issues

Player duplicates surround channel information and outputs that same information over rear outputs for both analog multich and HDMI with 5.1 DTS-MA soundtracks (as opposed to using proper matrix processing or giving the user the option to leave the 5.1 > 7.1 channel upconversion to the receiver).

Confirmed with recording: (L: Left Surround, R: Left Rear) http://www.reflectonreality.com/51dupe71.wma (from Master and Commander)

Note that this bug applies to 7.1 setups only, 5.1 setups are unaffected.

BLU-RAY MENUS THAT NEED SPEED OPTIMIZATIONS

Death Proof Scene Selections are virtually unusuable
Planet Terror Scene Selections are virtually unusuable

FORUM USER REQUESTS (1.37 firmware)

-5.1 output on 7.1 setups over HDMI when decoding 5.1 DTS-HD soundtracks
-Further speed optimizations on disc loadtimes
-Further improved error correction for dirty/damaged discs
-Option to disable screensaver
-Ability to force 720p output

====================================================

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 05FD & 51FD [click below]
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Internal differences:

-05FD has higher quality analog component video DAC.

-05FD can use HDMI for audio WITHOUT using HDMI for video. 51FD requires you use HDMI for video in order to support HDMI for audio.

Cosmetic differences:

-05FD has touch capacitance controls vs. buttons on the 51FD

-05FD has glossy black metal front plate (likely to enable touch cap.) vs. glossy black plastic front plate on the 51FD

-05FD has gold plated rear terminals vs. standard terminals on the 51FD

-05FD has primarily gold highlights vs. silver highlights on the 51FD

-05FD has amber LED display vs. white LED display on the 51FD

-05FD remote has metal buttons vs. plastic buttons on 51FD - enter button feels cheap on both, however.

-05FD has Elite badge, 51FD does not.

Other differences:

-05FD has a 2yr warranty, 51FD only has a 1yr warranty.

Non-differences:

-Both have the same analog audio DACs

-Both have identical output quality over HDMI (Audio & Video)

-Both have the Pioneer-specific PQLS jitter-elimination circuit

-Both have a general jitter-reduction circuit

-Both support the same sound formats, have the same outputs, and support the same features in software

-Both are of the same general build quality

-Both use the same firmware

OTHER NOTES

--

- Player works well with Reon chipset in Integra DTC-9.8/DTR-8.8/Onkyo 875/905/885 using Source Direct output for 480i DVD/1080i Blu-ray upconversion/deinterlacing.

- Resolution is changable on the fly.

- Must stop disc and go into setup menu for full selection of options.

- Player is very responsive in BD-J menus, very quick response in setup menus; overall excellent performance.

- SD DVD upconversion about on par with HQV Reon for most discs.

- Blu-ray 1080p24, 1080p60 & 1080i60 outputs are excellent; reference quality video & audio output overall.
- DTS-HD Master Audio decoding is now enabled in current firmware

- Error correction for dirty/damaged discs needs improvement

- "High speed HDMI" 24bit > 36bit color upconversion difference is very subtle, not mindblowing

- Under "Video Adjust" mode (bottom of remote when movie is playing), "Professional" mode outputs least processed image [credit to gonzalc3]

- Remote's enter button feels cheap.

Conclusion

I am very satisfied with this player, it kicks butt in both video and audio quality and is very responsive in menus!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 /forum/post/14420686

AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

All that good info. All of Ruined's hard work gone...

Has anyone gotten anymore Firmware discs yet. Is the Top Gun issue still there and is there a workaround yet

I have .80a and had no problems yesterday with Top Gun. I got it from amazon.com, which shipped it out on July 28, the day before it was allegedly available.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs /forum/post/14420814

I have .80a and had no problems yesterday with Top Gun. I got it from amazon.com, which shipped it out on July 28, the day before it was allegedly available.

Top Gun works fine in 0.80a, as does Dragon' Lair and Space Ace. But they all are broken in v1.0. My posts are regarding the shipping firmware not beta.

On the other hand, most of the broken movies in 0.80a (there are a lot) work fine in v1.0.

#11 ·
has anybody here connected this to a projector yet. it's not detecting my projector as 1080i compliant and so it always select 720x480 during power up. once i manually switch it to 1080i, it will say its incompatible and asks whether to proceed or not. but still works even if i continue. im hoping it's just because of the .80a firmware.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltes /forum/post/14420864

has anybody here connected this to a projector yet. it's not detecting my projector as 1080i compliant and so it always select 720x480 during power up. once i manually switch it to 1080i, it will say its incompatible and asks whether to proceed or not. but still works even if i continue. im hoping it's just because of the .80a firmware.

0.80a was buggy with my dtc-9.8 Reon detection as well, v1.0 fixed all the issues.

#14 ·
I think I'm going to have to continue using my trusty Oppo for DVD. I can't imagine having to go back to 3 second layer changes and long loading times. It seems so late 90's/early 2000. I had a couple of Pioneer DVD players years ago that were slower than the rest as well. Hopefully a fimeware upgrade can tweak this a bit but for now I'll only be interested in this player for BD.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/14420797

SD DVD

* 40-45 seconds load from open tray

* 3 second layer change

Yikes! Three seconds? That's kind of ridiculous. I thought that with all the intensive requirements to process HD audio and video, getting through the SD basics would be a piece of cake. Maybe the next FW update will fix it.

I did get my new 51 (beta FW) hooked up to my 5080 late last night. Briefly popped in POTC-DMC to check out the video. Still drooling.
(sadly, Batman Begins didn't seem to want to work, but I'm hoping when I get the 1.0 FW, it'll fix that)

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 /forum/post/14421032

Besides the firmware, is there any other difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian ballard /forum/post/0

so whats different besides the firmware?

Chris Walker - a Pioneer rep who knows the most about these players - confirmed the 0.80a "demo units" and v1.0 retail units are 100% identical hardware wise, only difference is the firmware. If you read otherwise (i.e. kingair's post) it is most definitely misinformation. An 0.80a unit upgraded to v1.0 firmware is 100% identical to a v1.0 retail unit.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywlkrsnd /forum/post/14420983

Yikes! Three seconds? That's kind of ridiculous. I thought that with all the intensive requirements to process HD audio and video, getting through the SD basics would be a piece of cake. Maybe the next FW update will fix it.

Most definitely the 51FD's hardware is capable of seamless layer changes on DVD. But whether they will ever devote any resources to actually making that happen in future firmware is another story.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener /forum/post/14420782

As a 6010 owner, what would be my optimum video hookup -- component or HDMI, with either the 51 or the 05?

I'm assuming I should simply use the processor in the 6010, versus either of these video processor's?

I understand the 05 has some sort of enhanced (?) processing of some sort for its component output, yet I should still stick with the 6010's processor, no?

As a general 05 question, though, if it's true the 05's component video processing is enhanced in some way, is that output going to be superior to its HDMI video performance?

I dunno if this is relative, but I'll be transmitting audio via the variable outputs to my pre/pro.

I have the 6010 as well and I plan to use HDMI to my Pio 94 AVR, for your situation I would still use HDMI to one of the 4 HDMI inputs on the 6010 for video (I don't think there is any real difference in video quality between component and HDMI, but HDMI is just less cable clutter) for audio you are going to use analog from the 05 to your pre/pro?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener /forum/post/14420782

Theoretically:

(BEST) 51FD/05FD HDMI > 05FD Component > 51FD Component

how much of a difference is truly noticable in reality between the 3 is another story that depends on the quality of your TV's ADC circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.