Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 7068 Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post

I'm having some different audio problems with audiophile bitstream to my Denon AVR-1909. With DTS-HD Master any seeking operation drops the audio until I hit pause, then play. Another 1909 owner has confirmed the same issue with this player. My Sony BDP-S350 has no such problem. And the Wall-E disc plays no audio at the start of the disc until I do the pause/play trick (also reported in the P1500 owners' thread). I sent feedback to Samsung here:

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/form...=1&PROD_ID=788

I encourage others looking for firmware fixes to do the same. I also plan to call their customer support folks to discuss the audio problems plus the netflix 24p bug. The video quality with this player has me quite happy, but I'd really like them to fix some of these bugs.

Here's a TIP that might help a lot of Samsung blu-ray player owners with
Audio problems and even Video problems.
Very simple task, but there are no guaranties as if this will work or not.
It did in my case, and I believe quite strongly on it's efficiency.

Here it is: Just REDO a firmware update with the SAME last one you used.

Good luck to all

Bob

p.s. I will try first with the proper burn CD download firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 7068 Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslbebiz View Post

I agree, I chose this player because it seemed the best of the lot for the money. And bested most players in many aspects.

I'm doubtful that the stores have any more 2550's in stock though, there's been a big problem with finding them.

As far as gaming, and the PS3, I've considered it because I wouldn't mind playing a few of the new games (racing!), but movies are 99% for me. I'm also not fond of fan noise as I like the lowest noise floor possible, and I believe the PS3 has issues with bitstreaming lossless as well.

Then, definitively do everything in your power to get the 2550 in good order.
That's the right player, period!
May I suggest (if the place where you purchase it, is a store chain affiliated with other stores) that your place of purchase verify their inventory, if more
2550 are available.

Good luck

Bob
post #3033 of 7068 Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Sorry if this has been answered already here, or in another thread. I did a search and really didn't find anything.

Has anyone done any sd-dvd playback quality comparisons between the BD-2500 and an XA2? I'm getting a new receiver and am thinking about getting a standalone BD player as well. I have the XA2, but only use it for dvd's (I sold off all of my HD-DVD's), so I'm looking for a bd player that will come close to or equal dvd playback of the XA2. If this, or any other BD player can come close or match the XA2 on dvd's, then I can finally unload the XA2.
post #3034 of 7068 Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post

Sorry if this has been answered already here, or in another thread. I did a search and really didn't find anything.

Has anyone done any sd-dvd playback quality comparisons between the BD-2500 and an XA2? I'm getting a new receiver and am thinking about getting a standalone BD player as well. I have the XA2, but only use it for dvd's (I sold off all of my HD-DVD's), so I'm looking for a bd player that will come close to or equal dvd playback of the XA2. If this, or any other BD player can come close or match the XA2 on dvd's, then I can finally unload the XA2.

Well they both use the reon chip so I would imagine their picture to be pretty close. I thought I saw one or two people making comparisons in this thread between the two saying the Sammy was slightly better, but that was awhile ago so I'm not completely sure.
post #3035 of 7068 Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post

so after reading post after post, am I to assume that with all the latest firmware that the BD-P2500 would edge out a Sony BDP-S550?

Those are the 2 players I'm down to, both are within a few bucks of each other pricewise, can someone help me decide? Legacy DVD upconversion is a big issue for me too, and I get the general feeling that the Sammy wins in this category.

Thanks.

I have both. Get the Samsung.
post #3036 of 7068 Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

Can you tell us when BB will restock the 2550?

All the Best Buys here in OKC have been out for a month or two, and I checked the web site for stock almost every other day, on this past Sunday, it said the one near me in the city had stock, so I called, and he showed 8 on hand. Wanted to double check, cause last time it showed a store across town had them, I didn't call, and went there and all they had was the display.

Anyway, I got there and they had 8! I bought mine, so keep checking, they are coming.
post #3037 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslbebiz View Post

My audio is set to bitstream audiophile via HDMI cable. All speakers are set to small and x'ed over to a sub at 80Hz.

The audio drops don't seem to happen when set to bitstream re-encode, but then I lose HD audio (for instance receiver shows only DTS or Digital instead of DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD). So the issue is with the BD player.

Lossless audio requires MUCH higher bandwidth than DTS core or DD, so if your HDMI cable is faulty or not up to 1.3a spec it could be the source of the problem.
post #3038 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
OK guys... Need to know the missing features, problems, or other issues for this player. Doing a master list for all players..

PM me or post here.

Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3039 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 06:31 AM

My BB store here has the 2550 and it's about $40 more than buying the 2500 online. I combed through this thread and don't see a difference between the two players except Pandora which frankly I don't know even what it is. I d use netflx however ad might try the streaming. I also notice on the Samsung site that they have no mention of the 2550?

Any opinions on if I should fork out the extra and goto BB or save some cash and buy the 2500?
post #3040 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig View Post

My BB store here has the 2550 and it's about $40 more than buying the 2500 online. I combed through this thread and don't see a difference between the two players except Pandora which frankly I don't know even what it is. I d use netflx however ad might try the streaming. I also notice on the Samsung site that they have no mention of the 2550?

Any opinions on if I should fork out the extra and goto BB or save some cash and buy the 2500?

I think the 2550 is a BB exclusive and the only dif is the pandora streaming... i have no clue why Samsung did this. it makes no sense.
post #3041 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbegong View Post

Lossless audio requires MUCH higher bandwidth than DTS core or DD, so if your HDMI cable is faulty or not up to 1.3a spec it could be the source of the problem.

do you know exactly how much bandwidth is required?
post #3042 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I wanted to see if anybody else out there has noticed the following issue since the last FW upgrade. I should also mention that I am connected wireless to my Samsung. During Netflix playback occasionally I will notice a jump of a few frames in the picture that may happen once or twice during a viewing; it happens with both HD and SD viewing. The other thing I noticed is that on SD Netflix playback the last 3 bars are not filled where as with the prior update it was only the last 2; during HD playback they all fill. I can't honestly say that I can see a difference with the playback on SD with only the last 3 not being filled. Connectivity and speed has never been an issue with my set-up from day 1. Just wanted to see if anybody else has noticed this change and or problem?
post #3043 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

I hope someone can get some (inside) info on this, because this sounds like a FIRMWARE/BOOT difference, not a hardware difference. I'm not denying it's true (this description is dead-on), but if it WERE a hardware change, why did they do it? If it was to prevent dropouts (I hear the occasional audio dropout ONLY on standard DVDs and ONLY via Toslink), that would suggest no amount of software updates would fix it.

I don't think it's a hardware change...it is probably just as you described it...a BOOT difference. This new December build seems to operate just like the September one. I even still have the minor "jitter" issue I mentioned a while back at the beginning of some movies. I believe the only difference is the lack of an initial boot screen...although I don't know why they did that. Oh...and a new box.
post #3044 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

OK guys... Need to know the missing features, problems, or other issues for this player. Doing a master list for all players..

PM me or post here.

Thanks!

Hi thebland,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to shoot about missing features of blu-ray players. I thought this thread was about the 2500/2550?
Master list for all the players! Sounds good to me, but shouldn't I post those
in their respective threads?

Anyway, I'll go for a spin (test drive). And see what happen.
Well, one major missing feature (or issue) of the Sammy 2500/2550, as you probably already know, is the bass management for the multichannel analog output.
Totally inexcusable! Why bother putting jacks for 7.1 ch., if you cannot
even set ch. levels, speaker's delay and absolutely obsolete test tones in
the player??? This have to be one of the greatest travesty in the history
of the Audio world!
Here you have it, one major issue; "entre-autre" from several other issues,
on this particular player and all other Samsung BD & COMBO players with
5.1 or 7.1 multichannel analog output.
If you are doing a Master list, I can keep going, but it will probably take
an encyclopedia (well, a book) to enumerate them all!

Please, explain how can I, and all of us, be of any help.

Your's truly,

Bob
post #3045 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Hi thebland,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to shoot about missing features of blu-ray players. I thought this thread was about the 2500/2550?

I think he wanted the problems of this player to then add to a master thread he's building for all players.
post #3046 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post

Oh...and a new box.

That would tend to reinforce my belief that BB will restock the 2550's: it just takes time. They wouldn't spend the $$ on new packaging if they weren't going to use it a few more months.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #3047 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejez View Post

I think the 2550 is a BB exclusive and the only dif is the pandora streaming... i have no clue why Samsung did this. it makes no sense.

What doesn't make sense? Why BB would want an exclusive model? Or why Samsung would pick BB for an exclusive model? Or why Pandora is the feature they picked to be exclusive? What aspect of this makes no sense?

BTW, it's pretty common for stores like this to have exclusive products with exclusive model numbers. Often the differences are MUCH more fuzzy, which makes it hard to compare prices between places like Walmart and Sound Advice (for example, and, yeah, the latter is closed), allowing big price differences. In the case of the 2550 and 2500 is much clearer - Pandora.
post #3048 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig View Post

Just to throw it out there, I didn't know what Pandora was either until I fired it up and said "hey, what's this." ...and now it's one of my favorite features of the player.

I use my Pandora account at work too.

But it's awesome, streams all the music I like right through my player into my 5.1 system. <3
post #3049 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post

I'm having some different audio problems with audiophile bitstream to my Denon AVR-1909. With DTS-HD Master any seeking operation drops the audio until I hit pause, then play. Another 1909 owner has confirmed the same issue with this player. My Sony BDP-S350 has no such problem. And the Wall-E disc plays no audio at the start of the disc until I do the pause/play trick (also reported in the P1500 owners' thread). I sent feedback to Samsung here:

URL removed due to forum rules

I encourage others looking for firmware fixes to do the same. I also plan to call their customer support folks to discuss the audio problems plus the netflix 24p bug. The video quality with this player has me quite happy, but I'd really like them to fix some of these bugs.

My BDP-2550 is also connected to a Denon AVR-1909 via HDMI and I've experienced audio drop-outs during normal playback of a Blu-Ray movies with DTS-HD.

Thanks for the link to the feedback page, I'll make sure to use it. I'd also be interested in hearing how your call to Samsung customer support went.
post #3050 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Hi thebland,

Anyway, I'll go for a spin (test drive). And see what happen.
Well, one major missing feature (or issue) of the Sammy 2500/2550, as you probably already know, is the bass management for the multichannel analog output.
Totally inexcusable! Why bother putting jacks for 7.1 ch., if you cannot
even set ch. levels, speaker's delay and absolutely obsolete test tones in
the player??? This have to be one of the greatest travesty in the history
of the Audio world!
Here you have it, one major issue; "entre-autre" from several other issues,
on this particular player and all other Samsung BD & COMBO players with
5.1 or 7.1 multichannel analog output.
If you are doing a Master list, I can keep going, but it will probably take
an encyclopedia (well, a book) to enumerate them all!

Please, explain how can I, and all of us, be of any help.

Your's truly,

Bob

I think one concern he is referring to dates back to the BD-UP5000. Samsung has unfortunately earned a reputation of stating a player will have certain capabilities...only for those to be delayed months as an upgrade with firmware. In our case it was the ability to internally decode DTSHDMA. This has been fixed but I believe this is what he may be referring to.
post #3051 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Why in the world do they let you dim the "display" (at least a bit) but leave the power and directional keys lit up like the fourth of july? This isn't the only player that does this but it certainly can't be used in a dark room and I refuse to use my electrical tape on it.
post #3052 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

I hope you guys are reporting these problems to Samsung (for our sake).

YEp, but every contact with Samsung says the same thing. "We have no reported problems you are the first"

That get tiring, when you know that you had already reported the problem before and were only calling to give them more data. They act like all reports are thrown in the trash.
post #3053 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan104 View Post

YEp, but every contact with Samsung says the same thing. "We have no reported problems you are the first"

That get tiring, when you know that you had already reported the problem before and were only calling to give them more data. They act like all reports are thrown in the trash.

I don't know why so many companies have that problem. Do they not keep some sort of database? We (another forum or two I'm on) have a HUGE problem with Verizon doing the same thing.

I swear 20 of us will all call about the same thing over a month or two and each person get someone on the other end who is surprised to hear about the problem and we're "the first call on it".

And if there were 20 complaints on our dinky little forum about a problem, how many total would you imagine there to be?

Yet we're always "the first."

/rant
post #3054 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Samsung customer service really is pretty bad. They did that "never heard of that before" thing to me on 50 inch plasma with a hugely famous flicker problem. That's why I buy from Amazon.
post #3055 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM

I think that I've decided to pick up a BD-P2500, so that I can now have a standalone and plus that it has the REON chip in it, which would enable me to finally unload my XA2, if the dvd-upconversion comparison between the two are equal, or close, anyway.

Are there any issues I should be aware of, concerning the BD-P2500? I'm also planning on getting a new receiver, probably the Onkyo TX-SR806. I thought that I would add that, just in case there are issues with that combo. And out of curiousity, how does the 2500 compare to the PS3 as far as blu-ray playback goes?
post #3056 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

What doesn't make sense? Why BB would want an exclusive model? Or why Samsung would pick BB for an exclusive model? Or why Pandora is the feature they picked to be exclusive? What aspect of this makes no sense?

BTW, it's pretty common for stores like this to have exclusive products with exclusive model numbers. Often the differences are MUCH more fuzzy, which makes it hard to compare prices between places like Walmart and Sound Advice (for example, and, yeah, the latter is closed), allowing big price differences. In the case of the 2550 and 2500 is much clearer - Pandora.

it doesn't make sense to me why the difference is so small.. and only software based. I mean it's obvious Samsung could push out pandora to all 25xx owners via FW update (and they probably will) but are not doing so because of some deal with BB. Couple this with the fact that BB isn't even stocking these stupid players anymore and it makes even less sense why they are still holding out.
post #3057 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been using Pandora on the computer and I really like it. It's too bad that BB is out of stock in my area. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Pandora is owned by Best Buy. But if BB isn't stocking this player with any regularity why not open Pandora to the 2500?
post #3058 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been using Pandora on the computer and I really like it. It's too bad that BB is out of stock in my area. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Pandora is owned by Best Buy. But if BB isn't stocking this player with any regularity why not open Pandora to the 2500?

If this is the case then perhaps the deal is between BB and Pandora. With Samsung out of the loop.

Either way it seems like Pandora is getting a big bang for the buck. And a lot of visibility - especially in this thread.

Personally I have so much music coming at me from so many directions I really don't care.
post #3059 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejez View Post

it doesn't make sense to me why the difference is so small.. and only software based. I mean it's obvious Samsung could push out pandora to all 25xx owners via FW update (and they probably will) but are not doing so because of some deal with BB. Couple this with the fact that BB isn't even stocking these stupid players anymore and it makes even less sense why they are still holding out.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

BTW, it's just my opinion, but I think the small difference is appropriate for a Best Buy exclusive, but I agree that it's completely lame for Best Buy to not have them in stock. Then again, I wonder if it's a Samsung issue. Either way I would think Pandora would be pissed off.
post #3060 of 7068 Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Pandora is owned by Best Buy...

I really doubt it. There's no mention of Best Buy on the Pandora website.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page