Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't get the USB update to work at all. I get a message that the file is corrupt or something like that. I've tried it 3 times now downloading it from Samsung's website. I even formatted my USB drive and that didn't work.

I even followed these instructions:
When using USB make sure you have the correct file. Unzip the file and copy the .ruf file to the USB stick. Power the player on. If you have the player hooked up via eithernet respond "no" when the player asks if you want to update. If you select "yes" the player will start downloading the file from the Samsung file servers. Now plug in the USB stick and follow the prompts.

You can cancel the download if you selected "yes" in error and the download begins. Just press cancel. Then plug in your USB stick to begin the update process.

But nothing. I guess I will try to download it via the ethernet connection.

Any body else having the same issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have a 2500 but don''t have Netflix (but at some point in the future I might give it a shot). It is in the bedroom system and doesn't get used tons (perhaps once a month). I decided to go ahead with it (the update) and have it going on now (I hate when I do use it and then find it needs an update and have to deal with it when it is one of times when I just turned it on to watch something). Thanks to all who shared their experience.
post #4503 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumzool View Post

Besides just the Netflix freezing the last minute, is anyone else having any other problems...

My 2500 is also having problems at the beginning of shows where it'll buffer, show about a second of picture and then I get a blank screen with sound. I hear everything, but it won't let me go back to the menus. I can go back to my tv input so I know it's not the tv. The only way to fix it is to reboot the bluray player. Other times less frequently, the beginning of the show will start and then I get the samsung's "searching for input signal"... no sound nothing... the player shows it's streaming but it's not showing up on the tv. Again, my tv input works fine.

Anyone else having a similar problem? Just wanted to see if this is something else I should call samsung tech about since it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Update fixed the last minute freezing, but I'm still getting the search for input signal and the black screen with audio problems. Time for a call to samsung tech.
post #4504 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Update fixed the last minute freezing, but I'm still getting the search for input signal and the black screen with audio problems. Time for a call to samsung tech.

Same here continuing problems
post #4505 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I can search the thread but can you give me a brief description of the input signal/black screen issue. I get an issue that may be the same as you are describing when I turn the unit on. It takes a long time to actually display the main samsung screen.

But I have not noticed any audio problems.
post #4506 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric53110 View Post

I can't get the USB update to work at all. I get a message that the file is corrupt or something like that. I've tried it 3 times now downloading it from Samsung's website. I even formatted my USB drive and that didn't work.

I even followed these instructions:
When using USB make sure you have the correct file. Unzip the file and copy the .ruf file to the USB stick. Power the player on. If you have the player hooked up via eithernet respond "no" when the player asks if you want to update. If you select "yes" the player will start downloading the file from the Samsung file servers. Now plug in the USB stick and follow the prompts.

You can cancel the download if you selected "yes" in error and the download begins. Just press cancel. Then plug in your USB stick to begin the update process.

But nothing. I guess I will try to download it via the ethernet connection.

Any body else having the same issues?

It looks like your USB ruf file is not passing the verification process. If the firmware update file on the USB does not verify properly then the firmware update process is halted. My guess is this is designed to stop a bad flash.

I had the exact same thing happen with one of my 1500's. But not with my 2500 using the same USB stick. With the 1500 I decided to update via ethernet and the update was fine.

No idea why.
post #4507 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

I can search the thread but can you give me a brief description of the input signal/black screen issue. I get an issue that may be the same as you are describing when I turn the unit on. It takes a long time to actually display the main samsung screen.

But I have not noticed any audio problems.

This is normal and not really related to the post you responded to.

In my case when I turn the player on I get an immediate Samsung splash screen. Then things go to black as the unit powers up and the HDMI hand shaking takes place. Once the HDMI hand shake is engaged the splash screen returns.

The process may vary depending on your display device.
post #4508 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does this only happen with netflix streaming?
post #4509 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Just hung up the phone with samsung tech and after resets and all im now able to recieve picture but now no sound gave me a case number and told me to call back tomorrow wish i wouldve left it alone with the previous working firmware and was also told their is no way to get it back damn the luck
post #4510 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4dadon View Post

Just hung up the phone with samsung tech and after resets and all im now able to recieve picture but now no sound gave me a case number and told me to call back tomorrow wish i wouldve left it alone with the previous working firmware and was also told their is no way to get it back damn the luck

Sure there is. Just read the thread. It has been well discussed.
post #4511 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 06:50 PM

im not sure whats going on with this firmware update but now its working like it suppose to netflix pandora blu ray everything if anything change ill be sure to let you all know.............. ok im now editing this post the netflix only freezes and blanks out if you have a disc in the machine u take it out and all is well kinda sucks
post #4512 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The player keeps on getting better. Hopefully, Samsung will hook us up with You Tube, Amazon on Demand, and additional streaming services.
post #4513 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 PM

"Sharpness" and "DVD noise reduction" setting?

What setting do you guys have for "Sharpness" and "DVD noise reduction"?
I was watching a movie, when sharpness is set to even low, very noticable noise shows up in the video. So for now, I set "Sharpness" to OFF.
As for the DVD noise reduction, I can't really tell the difference with different settings.
post #4514 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Does this only happen with netflix streaming?

Yes..mostly during netflix streaming..... it happens right after netflix downloads the buffers and starts playing... sometimes it works, other times the video will flash for a second and then the screen goes blank while the sound plays, and other times the video and audio go to a blank screen like the tv is searching for a signal from that input even though the netflix is still playing (via the time stamp on the display). Tried to reset the player a few times, but still no luck.

I called tech support and someone from level 2 is supposed to get back to me.
post #4515 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM

The 0419 firmware is a mess for me. I have a 2550, Denon 1909, Pioneer Pro-FD111. I cannot use 1080p or 24fps after the update. Every firmware before this worked fine. Now when I attempt to select 1080P or 24fps, the Denon clicks away and I do not get to see the confirm screen. If I happen to guess correctly and press yes, the 1080p will not survive a restart. Basically I want my old firmware back. Where can I get the other April firmware? How do I downgrade firmware?
post #4516 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
With the Roku getting Amazon HD service will the Sammys be getting it too?
post #4517 of 7068 Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengka View Post

The 0419 firmware is a mess for me. I have a 2550, Denon 1909, Pioneer Pro-FD111. I cannot use 1080p or 24fps after the update. Every firmware before this worked fine. Now when I attempt to select 1080P or 24fps, the Denon clicks away and I do not get to see the confirm screen. If I happen to guess correctly and press yes, the 1080p will not survive a restart. Basically I want my old firmware back. Where can I get the other April firmware? How do I downgrade firmware?

Read here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16039436
post #4518 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a 2550 and what I've noticed with the latest update is the following. Running my machine at 24 fps is the only time I seem to get the occasional Netflix black screen after the movie starts and it only seems to do this when you have had a DVD in the machine. If you reboot the player and go to Netflix (at 24 fps) it may or may not blank out but it will come back. Turning the 24 fps off it seems to run flawlessly. Not a huge deal in that I know Samsung will try and fix the issue rather quickly as they tried to do over the last week. Lets just call them and hope they get it right.

I updated over my ethernet connection.
post #4519 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but just to let others know who are still curious...

I have the 2500 connected via Ethernet for my network connection and hooked up to the 58" Panny plasma.

Yesterday (4-22) I was prompted to update the firmware and did so with no problem.

(I hadn't checked here first and didn't know anything about the problem with the 4-9 build firmware.)

After coming here yesterday to find out about the update, I went back and checked and mine was updated with the 4-19 build.

I checked out Netflix and there was no problem.

I don't notice any change in overall video quality for either BDs or Netflix.

(I think the overall video quality is just fantastic, btw)
post #4520 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 AM

OK First post and all...

I work for a Samsung dealer/authorized tech repair center and the biggest problem that we see with the 2500/2550's is the firmware updates off the network corrupting the Main PCB to the point that it needs to be replaced.

The main issue is usually someone has a disc in the tray and when the firmware updates because of the sequence in which the firmware applies the player ends up trying to do too many things at once (hence you get the Samsung splash screen for about 5 seconds with no sound and then the unit displays LOAD and you lose your video input. No buttons other than on/off work and the tray will not eject the disc in there.) You'll probably notice when you troubleshoot with Samsung support if you tell them that you started having these symptoms after a firmware update and there was a disc in the tray they immediately say "send for service." They're basically going to replace the Main PCB and send it back (after testing it of course.)

If you're really stuck on wanting to get your disc out of there it is relatively simple to get to it (if you're used to working on ESD devices.) There are five screws to get the chassis cover off (3 on the back, 1 on each side.) If you take those off you can lift off the cover and you will basically see three sections of the unit. The left side is the drive itself, the middle board is the Main PCB and the far right is the SMPS PCB. There is a sub PCB behind the drive as well.

You will need to disengage the front panel but you can leave the ribbon that connects it to the Main PCB alone (ie don't pull it off all the way.) There are three clips on the bottom of the front panel, two on the top, two holding it to the drive caddy and one on each side. Just be careful when you release the tension from each of the clips that you don't snap them. It's actually quite straightforward and easy to do.

This leaves you with taking 4 screws (these are standard Phillips screws) to remove the drive caddy. They are at the four corners of the drive caddy. You can't miss them (silver screws.) There is a SATA cable and a ribbon cable that connect the drive to the Main PCB. After you have removed the four screws holding the caddy in place just disconnect those two cables from the drive caddy (not the Main PCB side) and lift the drive caddy out. Now turn it over and you will see a wheel with the word OPEN on the left and the word CLOSE on the right. Take a small screwdriver and push the white wheel to the left to slowly open the drive door. It will open and you'll be able to get your disc out. Then push it back to CLOSE to close the door back up and reconnect following the steps in reverse.

This is for anyone who can't get to a disc stuck in the BD-P2500/2550's. Take your time and be careful. There is no "Void Warranty" identifier on the unit but if you do any damage to any other portion of the unit it can be voided. FYI even after you remove the disc you will not be able to successfully boot the unit through because the Main PCB will already need to be replaced.

Good luck...hope this helps.
post #4521 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

It looks like your USB ruf file is not passing the verification process. If the firmware update file on the USB does not verify properly then the firmware update process is halted. My guess is this is designed to stop a bad flash.

I had the exact same thing happen with one of my 1500's. But not with my 2500 using the same USB stick. With the 1500 I decided to update via ethernet and the update was fine.

No idea why.

Thanks for that info. I tried burning a CD. That didn't work either. Said something like the CD could not be played.

So I just downloaded via ethernet and it updated just fine that way. Just took much longer even on my 20 meg connection.
post #4522 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM

I just updated my BDP-2500 last night to the new v2.5 F/W. After the unit shut off, I turned it back on and got the Samsung Splash screen then the screen goes black. The unit says "Loading".

I have the player hooked up to my Panny 50G10 via HDMI. Any ideas as to what I can do?
I'm pretty bummed right now. It's my birthday and I was planning on watching some new movies tonight.
post #4523 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectner View Post

I just updated my BDP-2500 last night to the new v2.5 F/W. After the unit shut off, I turned it back on and got the Samsung Splash screen then the screen goes black. The unit says "Loading".

I have the player hooked up to my Panny 50G10 via HDMI. Any ideas as to what I can do?
I'm pretty bummed right now. It's my birthday and I was planning on watching some new movies tonight.

Did you have a disc in the machine when you did the update? I'm not saying that the last 2 updates haven't had small problems but all the bricking issues seem to be related to those whom had DVD's in their player during the update.
post #4524 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Sounds like you might have had a disc in the unit when it tried to download the new FW
post #4525 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM

I saw the above post after I wrote mine. Yes I did have a DVD in the drive when I first hit the update button. The unit prompted me to remove it and I did. You would think that the thing would be ok with that.

I have a service tag from Samsung now. How long do they usually take with the repair?
post #4526 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

AVSysInt - great info. Great 1st post. Welcome

It looks like having a disc in the tray appears to be the culprit for bad firmware updates.

In the USB update instructions it clearly states "Remove any disc, the display should read "no disc".

When using the CD method for an update this becomes moot. The CD remains in the tray.

When updating via ethernet there is a scenario where a disc may be in the tray. Yet there is no instruction to remove the disc. Perhaps this is why bad firmware updates via ethernet seem sporatic.

Samsung should add a splash screen in the update process that instructs the user to make sure the disc tray is empty if updating via ethernet or USB.

edit - well it looks like there already is a "remove disc" alert. Although it looks like a bad flash could happen via USB if a disc is not removed.
post #4527 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSysInt View Post

OK First post and all...

I work for a Samsung dealer/authorized tech repair center and the biggest problem that we see with the 2500/2550's is the firmware updates off the network corrupting the Main PCB to the point that it needs to be replaced.

The main issue is usually someone has a disc in the tray and when the firmware updates because of the sequence in which the firmware applies the player ends up trying to do too many things at once (hence you get the Samsung splash screen for about 5 seconds with no sound and then the unit displays LOAD and you lose your video input. No buttons other than on/off work and the tray will not eject the disc in there.) You'll probably notice when you troubleshoot with Samsung support if you tell them that you started having these symptoms after a firmware update and there was a disc in the tray they immediately say "send for service." They're basically going to replace the Main PCB and send it back (after testing it of course.)

If you're really stuck on wanting to get your disc out of there it is relatively simple to get to it (if you're used to working on ESD devices.) There are five screws to get the chassis cover off (3 on the back, 1 on each side.) If you take those off you can lift off the cover and you will basically see three sections of the unit. The left side is the drive itself, the middle board is the Main PCB and the far right is the SMPS PCB. There is a sub PCB behind the drive as well.

You will need to disengage the front panel but you can leave the ribbon that connects it to the Main PCB alone (ie don't pull it off all the way.) There are three clips on the bottom of the front panel, two on the top, two holding it to the drive caddy and one on each side. Just be careful when you release the tension from each of the clips that you don't snap them. It's actually quite straightforward and easy to do.

This leaves you with taking 4 screws (these are standard Phillips screws) to remove the drive caddy. They are at the four corners of the drive caddy. You can't miss them (silver screws.) There is a SATA cable and a ribbon cable that connect the drive to the Main PCB. After you have removed the four screws holding the caddy in place just disconnect those two cables from the drive caddy (not the Main PCB side) and lift the drive caddy out. Now turn it over and you will see a wheel with the word OPEN on the left and the word CLOSE on the right. Take a small screwdriver and push the white wheel to the left to slowly open the drive door. It will open and you'll be able to get your disc out. Then push it back to CLOSE to close the door back up and reconnect following the steps in reverse.

This is for anyone who can't get to a disc stuck in the BD-P2500/2550's. Take your time and be careful. There is no "Void Warranty" identifier on the unit but if you do any damage to any other portion of the unit it can be voided. FYI even after you remove the disc you will not be able to successfully boot the unit through because the Main PCB will already need to be replaced.

Good luck...hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips. Do you trust updating firmware via the player's Ethernet port (with NO disc in tray)? Also, how do you guys update firmware at your shop (USB, CD or Ethernet)?

I've yet to update to 2.5. Before doing so, I want to ensure I pick the "safest" method.
post #4528 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

Before you send it in for repair (the player appears bricked), try unplug the power for a few minutes. Then try a factory reset method. One of these two steps may revive your player.

I saw so many postings about player got stuck in 'Loading' mode from BD-P1500 to BD-P25x0. Samsung really needs to revise its firmware update code to make it more robust.
post #4529 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinshouse View Post

Thanks for the tips. Do you trust updating firmware via the player's Ethernet port (with NO disc in tray)? Also, how do you guys update firmware at your shop (USB, CD or Ethernet)?

I've yet to update to 2.5. Before doing so, I want to ensure I pick the "safest" method.

Personally I trust the Ethernet Port solution over the USB just so that I know for certain I'm using the correct update; heck I've even been doing mine through my wireless connection to my 2550 and I've had not 1 issue. From what I understand the only point you are at risk is when the update gets flashed on the player.
post #4530 of 7068 Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Burn an .iso disc and all the guess work is taken out of the equation.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page