Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post

Did you:
a) Load a BD so the player switches to 24p, then
b) Take the BD out so the player remains in 24p, then
c) Load a Netflix movie so the player switches to 60p, then
d) Turn the player off for a minute then switch it back on, then
e) Load a BD and see if the player switches back to 1080/24p, then
f) If it remains at 60p, check the menu and see if the 24p option is off.

This is what I did and it said "off." This is just a simple test identical if someone were to watch a BD movie, finish it and start watching a Netflix movie. Then go the next day to watch a BD again and find 24p disabled.

Followed your sequence above and found that on my 2550 the 24fs menu setting remains "ON" all the time, without any glitches. As an additional step to your sequence, after your "e" I took out the BD and loaded a Netflix film and again it switched to 60p automatically after a couple of seconds of black screen. I stopped the film, went into the display menu and the "24fs" was still ON. Everything seems to be working fine on my end. As a reminder, I'm using FW 2.5 (4/19) downloaded through ethernet, and the BD I used for this test was BBC's "Planet Earth."

As I mentioned before, you might try a fresh download of this latest FW from the Samsung site and re-update your player with it. Just a little more time involved, but your problem could be solved. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post

can you tell if the fan in the unit is running? mine stays cool to the touch all the time.

I checked the fan and it's running when the machine is on just fine.
So the bottom heat is really concerning me.
Heat is a big killer for electronic components.
post #4593 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 PM
rjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinshouse View Post

Thanks! I'm on the fence.

How long did it take from start to finish (via Network)?

15min which was faster than previous updates for me. 2.3 took 2 or 3 downloads before it finally took. by comparison, this was a breeze.

get off the fence, my friend.
post #4594 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei.wang View Post

I checked the fan and it's running when the machine is on just fine.
So the bottom heat is really concerning me.
Heat is a big killer for electronic components.

The 1500 runs hotter. The heat in these units can create a hot spot on the bottom of the players. The fan in the 2500 does help dissapate the heat

There really havn't been any reports of note that claim heat related failure. If there is a problem it should show up first with the 1500's.

I'm not concerned. My satco STB runs much hotter and has been going 24/7 for a couple of years. That being said I would recommend elevating the 2500 a bit if it concerns you. When I stack components I always seperate them with a inch of airflow between components. I use simple wooden slats. Two fo them - one on each side of the component. Nothing fancy.

The greater danger in my mind is stuffing components together it a tight stack. Which all CEMs recommend against.
post #4595 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I've installed 2.5 (both versions) 3 or 4 times now on my 2500. No problems. This was via USB.
post #4596 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

The 1500 runs hotter. The heat in these units can create a hot spot on the bottom of the players. The fan in the 2500 does help dissapate the heat

There really havn't been any reports of note that claim heat related failure. If there is a problem it should show up first with the 1500's.

I'm not concerned. My satco STB runs much hotter and has been going 24/7 for a couple of years. That being said I would recommend elevating the 2500 a bit if it concerns you. When I stack components I always seperate them with a inch of airflow between components. I use simple wooden slats. Two fo them - one on each side of the component. Nothing fancy.

The greater danger in my mind is stuffing components together it a tight stack. Which all CEMs recommend against.

Thanks for the advice. I myself didn't find any heat related failures been discussed here neither, but wanted to ask, just to be sure.
The hot spot temp seems to be above 130F, for the moment, I put an old laptop cooler under it and power the fan through BD-P2550's usb port. I only kept the +5V and ground wire that goes into the cooling pad and cut the two inner data wires, so that the player doesn't get confused thinking a memory stick is plugged in or something.
post #4597 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Well a week after bricking my player and dropping it off at UPS the next day, here's the update.

Samsung sent me an email this afternoon stating that they're sending me an exchange from the factory and I'll receive another email when it ships. I doubt I'm getting back the disk that got swallowed up and I probably won't get the new player for another week.
post #4598 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf View Post

just updated my 2550 to 2.5 via network connection, which is how i always update, and it worked fine.

when i first turned on the machine after updating, it did hang on a black screen for a bit with 'loading' showing on the unit. with all the problems people have been having, i started to panic. but then it came on as normal and i was good to go.

just wanted to let people know it worked for me in case anyone's on the fence about updating.

no issues so far

Same here. Short hang after restarting machine. Netflix and Pandora both started flawlessly. Netflix HD movies actually look fabulous. Ironman BD looks GREAT. SD disc as well.
post #4599 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Hey guys I just wanted to get some opinions on this player. I really didnt feel like skimming through 154 pages to try and get a review on it So sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, just wanted to know what your guys thoughts and opinions are on it. I can buy one up here in Edmonton, Canada for $300. Which is about $100-200 cheaper than the other players. Thanks for any help, take care.
post #4600 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 05:47 PM

My player is now bricked using the 'network' firmware option.

I have updated successfully through the 'network' option before, and know I didn't do anything wrong this time. It prompted me to update, I chose 'Yes'. It downloaded, installed and shut off completely fine. I came back to room later (the player was still off), sit down to watch some Netflix, turn it on all it says is "LOAD" on the screen. There is no disk in the drive.

The open/close features of the player still work. I contacted Samsung support via online chat. The Samsung employee told me to unplug it and plug it back in. No luck. He then told me to hold the FF-button down on the front of the unit for 5 seconds to 'reset the player' - this didn't do anything.

I was told by Samsung to complete their online service request form, but it looks like I have to pay ~$12 to ship this to them for not knowing how to write firmware.

The unit was purchased at BestBuy (duh) 52 days ago, and was just opened new-from-box less than 14 days ago.

What a joke.

Any suggestions? Any un-bricking Wizards out there - I have 3 Netflix BDs that are going stale until this is fixed =( BB has offered to send it in for service for me *for free roundtrip*. Anyone have experience with this/does it take a while?

Cheers.
post #4601 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 PM

Posted yesterday that my ethernet update went flawlessly, but hadn't tried any BD's---well, have played 3 in the last 2 days, and still no problems with the firmware update. Like others, I get a longer pause when it boots up, but it gets past it and goes to the Samsung/Netflix/Pandora screen. No Netflix freezes, and all disks play. I thought the update was a winner, I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
post #4602 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithHackney View Post

I can buy one up here in Edmonton, Canada for $300. Which is about $100-200 cheaper than the other players. Thanks for any help, take care.

You should be able to get it for C$300 tax included. I like this player overall but the fan noise can be quite loud but apparently some of them are quieter than others so it depends on your luck.
post #4603 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

You should be able to get it for C$300 tax included. I like this player overall but the fan noise can be quite loud but apparently some of them are quieter than others so it depends on your luck.

Oh ok. Where did you find it for that price? Thanks for the help.
post #4604 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I also had no problem w/ the update yesterday. It's playing movies fine. Can anyone list SPECIFICALLY what was in the update?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #4605 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by addled View Post

- netflix Star Trek episode 4, audio dropped out after a scene change, had to stop and re-start the show to get audio back. I had watched several episodes prior to this on 2.3, no issues.

If you are referring to Star Trek Season 1(Original Series), this has happened to me with certain episodes on that series, but no others as of yet.

When it fades to a cut scene, and then comes back, the audio is gone. i then have to stop it, and then go to "resume playing episode", and all is well.

I t has happened as recently as today on Star Trek season 1 via Netflix stream. It happened with 2.4, and now 2.5 apparently. So it might be on Netflix's end.

Might just be a Netflix streaming issue. One of the PBS documentary's I streamed, "Empire of the Sky" about the beginnings of radio, had a really bad delay in the audio.

Not at the beginning of the program, but about 2-3 minutes in the audio was off like 2-3 seconds from the mouths. Since most of the talking is done off camera, it made no difference in the enjoyment of the documentary. But when people cam eon screen, it looked like one of those badly dubbed Japanese Monster movies.

So I think it is the Series streamed from Netflix, and not the player.
post #4606 of 7068 Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

If you are referring to Star Trek Season 1(Original Series), this has happened to me with certain episodes on that series, but no others as of yet.

When it fades to a cut scene, and then comes back, the audio is gone. i then have to stop it, and then go to "resume playing episode", and all is well.

I t has happened as recently as today on Star Trek season 1 via Netflix stream. It happened with 2.4, and now 2.5 apparently. So it might be on Netflix's end.

Might just be a Netflix streaming issue. One of the PBS documentary's I streamed, "Empire of the Sky" about the beginnings of radio, had a really bad delay in the audio.

Not at the beginning of the program, but about 2-3 minutes in the audio was off like 2-3 seconds from the mouths. Since most of the talking is done off camera, it made no difference in the enjoyment of the documentary. But when people cam eon screen, it looked like one of those badly dubbed Japanese Monster movies.

So I think it is the Series streamed from Netflix, and not the player.

Hi Steelersrule,
First off, have to take issue with your handle, me being a Seahawks fan. You know the rest...

But, that aside, yes, it was Star Trek season 1, HD, where I had the audio loss. In particular, Episode 4, "The Naked Time". The opening scenes on the planet were fine, but when it cut from there to the classic opening, with the Enterprise flashing across space, and the swoosh, the sound was gone.

However, I just tried to duplicate the problem several times, and had no sound loss across that scene transition.

This was the first episode I watched after going from 2.3 to the new 2.5. I had watched a couple full episodes, and parts of several others, under 2.3, with no issues. Its a tricky issue to figure out.

Also, on a different issue, my initial 24fps "On" setting has not changed, even though the unit has been powered off/on several times, and I've watched DVD's and Netflix.

But I think a bigger issue for me at this point, is the time it takes to buffer and start playing Netflix. Bad enough at the beginning, but each time I pause, RR or FF, it has to re-buffer, and takes just as long. The unit has a GB of memory, why can't it be used to buffer a few minutes? Or use the USB port to to add some extra memory, if necessary? Quite annoying.
post #4607 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpcross View Post

Followed your sequence above and found that on my 2550 the 24fs menu setting remains "ON" all the time, without any glitches. As an additional step to your sequence, after your "e" I took out the BD and loaded a Netflix film and again it switched to 60p automatically after a couple of seconds of black screen. I stopped the film, went into the display menu and the "24fs" was still ON. Everything seems to be working fine on my end. As a reminder, I'm using FW 2.5 (4/19) downloaded through ethernet, and the BD I used for this test was BBC's "Planet Earth."

As I mentioned before, you might try a fresh download of this latest FW from the Samsung site and re-update your player with it. Just a little more time involved, but your problem could be solved. Good luck!

I see, but isn't Planet Earth shot at 1080/60p?

- Barry
post #4608 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Planet Earth is 1080/60i using HD video camera.
post #4609 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithHackney View Post

Oh ok. Where did you find it for that price? Thanks for the help.

2001audiovideo, it was listed 349.99 but you could bargain there. I checked store locater and found they are not present where you are so in that case $300 before tax may be the best deal you can get.
post #4610 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 07:05 AM
rjf

so far the new 2.5 on my 2550 updated via network is working well for me. just watched The Office on Netflix and it played fine and Pandora no longer skips after over an hour of play. used to always skip on the 2nd song. so far so good.
post #4611 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Planet Earth is 1080/60i using HD video camera.

My "Planet Earth" BD definitely plays at 24fs--and you can tell the difference if you change it to 60. Believe me when I say that!
post #4612 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just took the plunge and updated mine to 2.5 via USB. Everything worked well. Took about 5 minutes. Only put in Iron Man Blu Ray for about 30 seconds and tried pandora. Both looked as they did before to my eyes. I don't have a netflix act. so I couldn't test that.
post #4613 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 09:56 AM

I posted this several days ago to the audio thread and got no replies. I'm hoping someone watching this thread has an idea of how to fix the problem.

I have a Samsung Blu Ray player model BD 2550 and a Mirantz SR5600 receiver. They are connected with optical cable. I cannot get the rear surround sound speakers (5.1) to function or the subwoofer to function. I have tried multiple options via the Blu Ray audio setup menu. Note that the system was working properly until a firmware update.
The 5.1 system works fine when watching/listening to cable tv. I called Samsung and talked to 2 technicians who could not help. I called the next day and was told it was a firmware problem and that they had pulled the firmware version. There is still a 2.5 on the website which I downloaded but no change took place.
post #4614 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 10:02 AM

i have the yamaha rx-v465 AVR and love it so far I have samsung bdp 2550 from BestBuy coming from the in-laws as a b-day gift. Will it shake hands with my AVR??? My 3 year old samsung upscaling dvd player with an hdmi hookup will not play through my AVR when hooked up via hdmi, but will work when directly connected to my TV. I get just some flickering then a green screen. I just want to make sure this is not goin to happen with my new blu-ray player. thx all .
post #4615 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkcove View Post

I posted this several days ago to the audio thread and got no replies. I'm hoping someone watching this thread has an idea of how to fix the problem.

I have a Samsung Blu Ray player model BD 2550 and a Mirantz SR5600 receiver. They are connected with optical cable. I cannot get the rear surround sound speakers (5.1) to function or the subwoofer to function. I have tried multiple options via the Blu Ray audio setup menu. Note that the system was working properly until a firmware update.

In the Setup Menu, Audio Setup, do you have it set for Bitstream? You'll only get Dolby Digital and DTS that way, with optical audio. If you connect 5.1/7.1 analog cables and set audio to PCM you can get TrueHD and DTS Master Audio.
post #4616 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Question about the speaker test in the menu of the 2550. I do not get any sounds when I do the test tone thingy. Everything sounds fine when I play a blu ray/dvd though. Not a big deal but curious why this happens?
post #4617 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 5.1 system works fine when watching/listening to cable tv. I called Samsung and talked to 2 technicians who could not help. I called the next day and was told it was a firmware problem and that they had pulled the firmware version. There is still a 2.5 on the website which I downloaded but no change took place.

After firmware updates the player defaults to PCM audio.

If you are connected to your Marantz via optical and the player is set to PCM then you will only get 2 channel PCM audio over optical. This is as a result of the bandwidth available over optical not the player.

In order to get 5.1 over optical you have to set the player's audio setting to bitstream.
post #4618 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymjk View Post

Same here. Short hang after restarting machine. Netflix and Pandora both started flawlessly. Netflix HD movies actually look fabulous. Ironman BD looks GREAT. SD disc as well.

I have the black screen of death-maybe i did not wait long enough????
post #4619 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

I'd still see if you can get another from eoutlet. Can't hurt.

I got mine from them as well and have never played a Blu Ray other than about 2 minutes to see if it worked. I have played 3-4 dvd's though. Still too scared to upgrade to 2.5.

And the guy on the phone was quite nice. The problem is that I go back into the Que for refurb. units. Do not know where on the list i am.

As a side note, got an e-mail from Pioneer indicating my 51D has a problem and also requires replacement-must ship to them. Getting extremely fed up with Blurays in general!!!!!!!!!!!
post #4620 of 7068 Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:

First, In the speaker setup on the Sammy, make sure that the left and right surround channels are turned on and the rear surrounds are off (none). This will combine all surround audio from 7.1 to 5.1 for your receiver. Also check that the subwoofer is turned on (in the Sammy's setup menue). Make sure you have connected your surround speakers to the left and right surround speaker outs and not to the rear surround connections.

The second thing to check is surround level. I had this problem when I set up my 5.1 receiver. Initially I connected up my speakers and ran the receivers auto level setup. I then connected my Sammy using the analog option (didn't have an optical cable handy). Everything worked properly. Then sometime later I got an optical cable and connected it up. When I tried a BD that had lots of surround audio (from listening to the analog connections) there seemed to be none with the optical connection. Turns out that the surround level output (at least on my Sammy) was too low. I cranked up the surround level on my receiver. Problem fixed!

Hoped that helped.

Edit: Just checked my audio after updating to 2.5 firmware and I too am having problems with my setup. The sammy seems to be sending the surround audio to the mains when connected via optical. Works normally using analog. Maybe there is an audio problem with the 2.5 update. Everyone please check! I'm in the middle of playing with my settings.

Dan
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page