Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 7068 Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I downloaded the firmware update for my 2550 and took a few screen shots.
It took about 3 minutes to download and then about 5 minutes or less to upload to the player. It was pretty seamless and easy.

Sorry for the terrible shots that are a little out of focus.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 7068 Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sszudzik View Post

If you've streamed netflix movies to your PC, well, that's pretty much the quality you should expect. Sub-DVD type quality with just regular 2 channel stereo for audio (not that I'm surprised).

What's the advantage to this feature?

Why would anyone want to watch sub-DVD quality with their BD player and HDTV?

I'd rather just wait an extra day to get the BD movie in the mail. Or watch a HD movie from a premium channel. Heck, I'd rather watch a HD movie off of a regular channel and sit through the commercials then watch a sub-DVD quality movie.

Not to mention the audio. Heck, I don't even watch prime time network TV without DD.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #453 of 7068 Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

It's free (assuming you already subscribe to Netflix); hard to complain about that. Eventually they will implement HD streaming and DD audio. And even now with the limitations, there are a bunch of movies that are not on BD yet and the DVD is only DD2.0 stereo or just mono anyway, where you don't lose much if anything going the streaming route. So you get extra movies without paying for a higher disc plan. I plan to watch the available movies/TV shows this way anytime BD is not available + audio on the DVD is 2.0 or it's some sort of non-action type movie where surround effects aren't likely to be a significant part of the experience.
post #454 of 7068 Old 10-23-2008, 11:07 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You get tv shows as well, some may take awhile to get to blu.
post #455 of 7068 Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Free and Convenient....Blueray is nice, but...

I picked up a 2550 from BBuy today, downloaded the firmware and it's up and running in 15min or so....I got the 2550 for the Pandora bonus feature, it's pretty nice to just pick your favorite music artist and get free streaming music through your stereo

ps..back to netflix, there are plenty of movies I like that arent in BR yet so I can just watch them online so I get them whenever I want and it doesnt count against the # of actual DVDs I have checked out
post #456 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:

I'd rather just wait an extra day to get the BD movie in the mail. Or watch a HD movie from a premium channel. Heck, I'd rather watch a HD movie off of a regular channel and sit through the commercials then watch a sub-DVD quality movie.

Not to mention the audio. Heck, I don't even watch prime time network TV without DD.

As someone with a three year old at home, there's a big advantage to this feature. To be able to just pick a kids movie and let it roll, with a kid (and frankly a wife) who could care less about video/audio quality, has value for me. I catch a lot of guff for just ordering the blu-ray movies that "only I want to see". Now, I can roll kid flicks off the stream, and keep the blu-ray movies coming that "I" want. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.
post #457 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, I guess I can see the benefit for some, but I doubt I'd ever use it.

Between the discs in the mail, my 3 DVR's and my collection of over 800 DVD's I'd never watch a sub-DVD quality movie. And any TV show I'm interested in I already record.

As for kids (I have a 3 and 5 year old), they have their own DVR loaded with shows, plus we have VOD (free) and every Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks movie ever made on DVD. We're good there.

Plus, not only are my kids not allowed in the theater without me (they have their own TV in the game room), but sub-DVD quality is even worse when viewed on a 126" screen.

I guess if I had it hooked up in the living room instead of the theater, didn't have a DVR, watched more movies than my mail package allowed, didn't have a lot of DVD's, didn't care about sound quality and didn't have VOD, this would be a great feature for me too.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #458 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Between the discs in the mail, my 3 DVR's and my collection of over 800 DVD's I'd never watch a sub-DVD quality movie. And any TV show I'm interested in I already record.

As for kids (I have a 3 and 5 year old), they have their own DVR loaded with shows, plus we have VOD (free) and every Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks movie ever made on DVD. We're good there.

Plus, not only are my kids not allowed in the theater without me (they have their own TV in the game room), but sub-DVD quality is even worse when viewed on a 126" screen.

I guess if I had it hooked up in the living room instead of the theater, didn't have a DVR, watched more movies than my mail package allowed, didn't have a lot of DVD's, didn't care about sound quality and didn't have VOD, this would be a great feature for me too.

I think many of us would agree, but I do think it helps with the "what's on TV" question as you flip through 200 often unsatisfying channels of cable/satellite...
post #459 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:

I agree that it may be rarely used, as I don't let others run rampant in my theater room, either...but the fact that it doesn't cost anything extra through Netflix, and this wasn't a feature that was originally there for this player, it's a nice extra perk to play around with for those who already own or were thinking about buying a 2500/2550...especially if the technology ever improves.

There are plenty of movies that I would check out that I would never own or even rent, as opposed to waiting for HBO to re-run Short Ciruit II again...and if I don't use the streaming that much, oh well...I haven't really invested anything in it. I don't think I would make it THE deciding factor to buy any player.
post #460 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I absolutely love Netflix instant downloads (currently using a stand alone Roku but soon to be using BD-2550). The biggest factor is arguably convenience. Their library does not rival their DVD selection but it is definitely growing. I think that much of the content looks great on my 61 inch Sammy and I feel it can come close to if not equal DVD PQ depending upon the original source material. Plus Netflix plans to eventually provide HD streaming.
post #461 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlehawk View Post

I don't think I would make it THE deciding factor to buy any player.

It is for me. I was set on buying the new Panasonic but I think I may pick up the Samsung instead. I'm still trying to research though if this is a bad decision from a DVD or BR perspective. Obviously, that's most important.
post #462 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

It is for me. I was set on buying the new Panasonic but I think I may pick up the Samsung instead. I'm still trying to research though if this is a bad decision from a DVD or BR perspective. Obviously, that's most important.

I would get this machine over the new Panasonic. Besides the fact that you will not only be amazed by the picture in BR and SD but this machine loads up liquid fast. I've had the 2550 now for 2 months and have had zero problems.

I should also mention that for a short while I did have the Philips BDP7200 which uses the same chip set as the new Panisonics and though it does do a fairly good job in upconverting it just can't compair to the Reon chip. I find the Blu Ray to be a little better on this machine as well.
post #463 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post

I would get this machine over the new Panasonic. Besides the fact that you will not only be amazed by the picture in BR and SD but this machine loads up liquid fast. I've had the 2550 now for 2 months and have had zero problems.

I should also mention that for a short while I did have the Philips BDP7200 which uses the same chip set as the new Panisonics and though it does do a fairly good job in upconverting it just can't compair to the Reon chip. I find the Blu Ray to be a little better on this machine as well.

Is this really true that the Phillips (Funai) uses the new chip that this Panasonic uses vs the BD-30? The newest reviews rave about the upconversion of SD DVD in the Panasonic -BD-55. I always read so-so reviews on SD upconversion of the Philips.

Tony B
post #464 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

I'm very happy with the picture on BD and DVD movies. I traded in a Sony 350, originally not because of dissatisfaction, but because I wanted the 7.1 analog outs for my oldie but goodie receiver. I'll give maybe a tiny edge to the Samsung on BD (although the Sony was great and it's pretty close to even there), but I was very impressed by the sd dvd images on the Samsung. I'm replacing a Denon 1930ci dvd player.
post #465 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlehawk View Post

I'm very happy with the picture on BD and DVD movies. I traded in a Sony 350, originally not because of dissatisfaction, but because I wanted the 7.1 analog outs for my oldie but goodie receiver. I'll give maybe a tiny edge to the Samsung on BD (although the Sony was great and it's pretty close to even there), but I was very impressed by the sd dvd images on the Samsung. I'm replacing a Denon 1930ci dvd player.

Well, I had the Sony 350 for a week and while I thought the BR playback was good, the SD DVD playback wasn't, it was soft and looked like it was always trying to correct the image. As for the Panny 35/55, they are getting good reviews on the SD upconversion, but they still don't compare to the Sammy with the Reon, or any player with the Reon. If SD upconversion is a huge factor for you, then there is no other alternative, Reon is still the best.

SD upconversion wasn't and still isn't a huge deal breaker for me but it's nice to have. I also think the BR PQ on the Sammy is better than the Sony 350. I can't compare it side by side to the Panny's or even the Sony 550.

Also, whether you think the Netflix is useful or not, that is up to you but my inlaws have a Roku and it works great. It's such a convenience to have especially for those non-cinematic type movies that you necessarily don't care about detailed PQ. Just as a note, Netflix will be making HD streaming available in the near future, their competitors, Apple TV and Vudu are already there and they will have to catch up soon.
post #466 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The Philips doesn't use the same chip as the Panasonic. The Panasonic's Uniphier chip is proprietary technology and was just enhanced in the latest generation. The only players that have it are the BD35 and the BD55 which are only just coming out this month.

I haven't tested/reviewed the Samsung 2500 or 2550 player yet, but I would expect its HQV processor to do DVD upconversion better than even the latest Panasonic, which I have tested. But I doubt that any player can do Blu-ray better than the new Panasonics. It's color detail is outstanding, particularly when you blow it up to a huge screen.

The BD-P1500 certainly doesn't hold a candle to the Panasonic on DVD playback, nor is it as good on Blu-ray playback in terms of its HD inverse telecine processing or color detail. But I do expect the 2500/2500 to be vastly superior to the 1500.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #467 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 AM

CB - How about a head to head test of the 2550 and 35 or 55?
post #468 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post

CB - How about a head to head test of the 2550 and 35 or 55?

If I still have the BD55 on hand when Samsung finally sends us the 2500 or 2550 I'll be happy to make some comparisons, but they're being a little cagey about sending us one and I'd hate to have to buy one out of pocket just to do the review.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #469 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

If I still have the BD55 on hand when Samsung finally sends us the 2500 or 2550 I'll be happy to make some comparisons, but they're being a little cagey about sending us one and I'd hate to have to buy one out of pocket just to do the review.

-CB

Yeah I hear ya. I hope they send you one for the review because there are Zero professional reviews of the 2550/2500 out there. I don't know the reasoning for that and maybe that has to do with Samsung not sending out test units. But I think they should espcially if they are going to be a top competitor in this growing field of players.

Keep us posted.
post #470 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

"The Philips doesn't use the same chip as the Panasonic. The Panasonic's Uniphier chip is proprietary technology and was just enhanced in the latest generation. The only players that have it are the BD35 and the BD55 which are only just coming out this month."

Also from the AVS board:

"As some additional background on the design of the Funai player, a few months ago it was reported my multiple sources, such as THIS ONE, that Funai is using the Panasonic UniPhier chipset (the same as REPORTED HERE to be used in the Philips BDP7200). Most of these reports go back to reports published by NIkkei Business Publications (a Japanese trade journal). Here is an excerpt from one of their ON-LINE ARTICLES:

"Funai's Blu-ray player features Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd's 45nm-process UniPhier LSI and Sony Corp's optical head for Blu-ray. It shows a glimpse of the Blu-ray group's ulterior motive for competing with Toshiba's price reduction strategy by lowering pricing for Blu-ray Disc players from products of Funai, which is well-known for the development of low-price products. "[/quote]
post #471 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Is this really true that the Phillips (Funai) uses the new chip that this Panasonic uses vs the BD-30? The newest reviews rave about the upconversion of SD DVD in the Panasonic -BD-55. I always read so-so reviews on SD upconversion of the Philips.

Every search you do on this Chip and the Philips comes back with a match so I'm inclined to beleive that it does have the chip. I didn't crack my unit open when I had it so can't verify 100%.
post #472 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 05:01 PM

I'm in the market for a Blu-Ray player but want it to have network connectivity so I am ready for future streaming services, including Netflix HD. The BD-P25X0 units seem attractive, but I wonder if my hopes about using the Netflix service are pipe dreams. I fear the quality will be un-watchable. Their current service is shaky on my 24-inch computer monitor. I cannot imagine it on my 60-inch screen.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know if when the player streams from Netflix the content is processed by the upscaling circuitry?

2) Since HD streaming will have so much information, and since this unit has only one gigabyte on board, how will it be able to stream HD without interruptions because of network hiccups? One gig does not seem to be enough for a significant buffer.

Thanks for any information!
post #473 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinEsc View Post

I'm in the market for a Blu-Ray player but want it to have network connectivity so I am ready for future streaming services, including Netflix HD. The BD-P25X0 units seem attractive, but I wonder if my hopes about using the Netflix service are pipe dreams. I fear the quality will be un-watchable. Their current service is shaky on my 24-inch computer monitor. I cannot imagine it on my 60-inch screen.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know if when the player streams from Netflix the content is processed by the upscaling circuitry?

2) Since HD streaming will have so much information, and since this unit has only one gigabyte on board, how will it be able to stream HD without interruptions because of network hiccups? One gig does not seem to be enough for a significant buffer.

If your 24 inch display looks bad then your internet bandwidth may be an issue. If you don't have high enough bandwidth the PQ will degrade accordingly. Most of time my Netflix instant downloads (via Roku) looks great on a 61 inch 1080P Sammy DLP.
post #474 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

If your 24 inch display looks bad then your internet bandwidth may be an issue. If you don't have high enough bandwidth the PQ will degrade accordingly. Most of time my Netflix instant downloads (via Roku) looks great on a 61 inch 1080P Sammy DLP.

Agreed. I've watched movies over the Roku and they look good, by no mean are they unwatchable. HD streaming will be great when that comes along.
post #475 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

"The Philips doesn't use the same chip as the Panasonic. The Panasonic's Uniphier chip is proprietary technology and was just enhanced in the latest generation. The only players that have it are the BD35 and the BD55 which are only just coming out this month."

Also from the AVS board:

"As some additional background on the design of the Funai player, a few months ago it was reported my multiple sources, such as THIS ONE, that Funai is using the Panasonic UniPhier chipset (the same as REPORTED HERE to be used in the Philips BDP7200). Most of these reports go back to reports published by NIkkei Business Publications (a Japanese trade journal). Here is an excerpt from one of their ON-LINE ARTICLES:

"Funai's Blu-ray player features Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd's 45nm-process UniPhier LSI and Sony Corp's optical head for Blu-ray. It shows a glimpse of the Blu-ray group's ulterior motive for competing with Toshiba's price reduction strategy by lowering pricing for Blu-ray Disc players from products of Funai, which is well-known for the development of low-price products. "

That was last year's UniPhier chipset and a faulty implementation of it at that, with significantly inferior SD upconversion and defective 1080i/p de-interlacing.

Read this post if you want to know more about that specific player or read the CNET reviews of the BDP7200 and DMP-BD55, or our review of the BD55.

Not even remotely similar in video performance.

Regards,

-Chris

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #476 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinEsc View Post

I have two questions:

I assume it's going through the upscaler. My Samsung DLP claims it's getting 1080p @ 60hz properly from the unit. I watched "Black Book" through Netflix on the 2550 yesterday and other than a couple of pan-jitters at the beginning, it was much better than I expected on the big screen.

For #2, yup, I'm curious about this as well. Wondering if maybe for that to work well we'll have to add in a USB drive with some extra space on it. I'll let you know as soon as NetFlix supports that!

All in all, pretty happy with the Netflix content on this player. Didn't have any interuptions through the entire movie, sound was decent and after I stopped trying to analyze every little thing, the picture was just fine and I was able to get wrapped up in the movie and enjoy it. Good movie too if you don't mind reading sub-titles.
post #477 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Stupid @$%^@&(*&@)(!! firmware update-it bricked my 2550!! I did it exactly the way it's supposed to be done-it loaded the cd with the iso on it-checked versions-asked yes or no-I selected yes-it loaded the disc then ejected it-shut off 3 minutes later-I turned it back on-it wouldn't load any disc I put in it-DAMN!!
post #478 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post

Not the same thing. The updated UniPhier chip is only on the BD35 and BD55.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #479 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

Stupid @$%^@&(*&@)(!! firmware update-it bricked my 2550!! I did it exactly the way it's supposed to be done-it loaded the cd with the iso on it-checked versions-asked yes or no-I selected yes-it loaded the disc then ejected it-shut off 3 minutes later-I turned it back on-it wouldn't load any disc I put in it-DAMN!!

sorry to hear it. i hope you can resolve the situation.
post #480 of 7068 Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I did a brain transplant between it and a 2500-works like a charm now-no more firmware updates on this unit for me-I learned my lesson.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page