Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread - Page 166 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4951 of 7068 Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Newbie
 
RobertJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

[link to Maxell Bluray cleaner]
Worth a try.

Thanks, Laserjock II. That looks like a much more elegant solution than one of my more frustrated ideas of going crazy with a can of compressed air in there.
RobertJohnson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4952 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Member
 
wobbegong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nahant, MA
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJohnson View Post

Thanks for the response, Wobbegong. I'm aware of the different laser spectrums. But (not being an engineer), I'm surprised that Samsung would house them in separate assemblies in the player. Seems that would be more moving parts to fail!

But, if I am accurately connecting the dots in your response you are saying that the red laser assembly is working but the blue laser assembly has gone off the tracks. Am I understanding? If so, what should I do?

Thanks again,
RJ

I have not looked inside the box so I have no idea how Samsung implemented things. But, yes, it would make the most sense that there would not be separate assemblies. I was merely suggesting that, since two different lasers are required, it would be possible for one to fail and the other to keep working. That laser cleaner thingy might work (I've never tried them) but your only recourse might be to send it in for repair. Sorry if I gave the impression that I had anything more helpful than that to offer.
wobbegong is offline  
post #4953 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbegong View Post

That laser cleaner thingy might work (I've never tried them) but your only recourse might be to send it in for repair. Sorry if I gave the impression that I had anything more helpful than that to offer.

Those "laser cleaners (CD/DVD/BD/whatever)" were and are a scam: they never work. You most likely have a hardware failure (doesn't matter whether it's a single or dual laser assembly). Also, blowing compressed air into sensitive electronics usually does more harm than good.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I see you've been struggling with this for a few days and didn't want you to waste anymore time.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Stanton is offline  
post #4954 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Member
 
RD48SEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

that looks totally cool, but if you thought it was too bright why did you add yet another one?

That's why I changed the resistors to higher values. That decreased the light output from the LED's. Also, I wanted to be able to see to use the eject button when the lights were off.
RD48SEC is offline  
post #4955 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Member
 
dvab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecaron View Post

you could always connect it up to a wireless bridge.... That's how i have mine connected wirelessly and it works perfect.

+1
dvab is offline  
post #4956 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Newbie
 
carpedatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post

I've been thinking about this "bricking" issue and I don't know if I'm correct on this so hopefully other owners can chime in but I wonder if this only affected players produced after a certain date? I've had my 2550 since August and have completed all of my upgrades via ethernet and I've never bricked.

Yeah, I could say pretty much the same thing until just now. Did every upgrade via ethernet and had no trouble, until this last one. Now it's bricked and Samjunk is making it clear that they'll happily take my money to repair it. I am always very cautious about firmware upgrades, and this one appeared to go just fine, until I powered the unit on afterward. I think they've got a software quality assurance problem and need to own up to it.
carpedatum is offline  
post #4957 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, Earth
Posts: 2,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just thought I would ask one more time is there is a work-around. The only other way I can think of for getting HD audio for Blu-ray and watching DVDs over component is to disconnect the HDMI cable and try the 5.1 analog outs. I was hoping that I could use HDMI audio, but seems that that breaks 480p playback of DVDs over component. Bummer.

Or should I look at using optical digital out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I just received my BD-P2550 and set it up for HDMI audio and component out fot by Loewe Aconda CRT. Blu-ray discs and Netflix work great, but I was really confused when DVDs kept reverting to 480i -- and my TV does not sync to 480i -- only 1080i and 480p. I finally figured out that the BD-P2550 does not output DVDs at 480P when using HDMI audio. This really seems brain dead and there has to be a work-around.

Has anybody figure out how to get this to work? I don't want to have to decide between HD audio of Reon DVD processing over component. I want both.

miata is offline  
post #4958 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Newbie
 
winpakbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ya know, one might say I am the looser here and in many ways I am, but Samsung will not get one dime from me to fix the blueray player they bricked. Don't know what I will do, but rather than give them $80 more to fix what they broke, with no guarantee it won't happen again I will not put good money after bad. I will just wait for the prices to drop a little more and use that $80 plus what I would have paid for shipping and buy another brand. Should be able to get one near $200 sometime soon anyway.
Three Samsung HDTV's two Samsung PC Monitors and one black Samsung brick. That's my last Samsung anything....
winpakbob is offline  
post #4959 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
feisty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=chinee;16506653]I've had my 2550 since February, replaced a Sharp HP21U and the Sammy performed much better. Was looking for a DVD upconvert player this week and picked up a Sammy 1080P9... I have to say, I did not see any upconversion. In fact, there was very little difference between the 1080P9 and my 5yr cheapo Sylvania DVD player. Everyone's probably thinking that I'm posting in the wrong thread... but this was only a build up to...

I bought another 2550... open box at BB for $229.

Now, can anyone post a link to the network adapter options I have to obtain streaming? Please don't tell me to search... I'm looking for easy answers tonight.

I currently use a Linksys Game adapter with my first 2550, but I rarely get HD streaming from Netflix. Speedtest.net and Speakeasy consistently show broadband speeds >5Mbps, so I should get HD streaming. I'd like to consider the powerline adapter option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks![/QUOT

There are a good number of manufacturers. I use Actiontec from Amazon.com
feisty1 is offline  
post #4960 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
STEELERSRULE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Western PA
Posts: 2,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty1 View Post

I bought another 2550... open box at BB for $229.

Now, can anyone post a link to the network adapter options I have to obtain streaming? Please don't tell me to search... I'm looking for easy answers tonight.

I currently use a Linksys Game adapter with my first 2550, but I rarely get HD streaming from Netflix. Speedtest.net and Speakeasy consistently show broadband speeds >5Mbps, so I should get HD streaming. I'd like to consider the powerline adapter option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks![/QUOT

There are a good number of manufacturers. I use Actiontec from Amazon.com

Get a Belkin 200 Mbps Powerline adapter from Best Buy for $82+tax. They are on Clearance(went for $180+tax originally).

Just make sure it is the 200 Mbps version(purple on the box). I have a pair and the work GREAT. No loss of a 8Mbps signal at all through the house, even though the two outlets are a ways away on my Switch Board down in the basement.

Most people say these things can go up to, like 58-59MBps max(maybe more than that. Maybe 80Mbps, but not up too 200Mbps), but really no higher in real world tests. It is more than enough. HD/DD/DTS/etc... won't be streamed for the normal individual on the average for YEARS, and I mean YEARS, to come.

This will work just fine until that day arrives(not for a while though), and by then, an new type of wall adapter will exist that can transmit TB though a powerline.
STEELERSRULE is offline  
post #4961 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Newbie
 
davidyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by railmanm View Post

I own the 2550 which is connected to my Onkyo receiver which doesn't have hdmi thru 7.1 analog. When playing blu-ray the sound seems great but if I play a sd dvd I seem to get a low hum coming from the s/w. If I switch to my optical input the hum goes away. Has anyone else noticed this should the DD track play thru analogs as well as the optical? The player seems great otherwise so I hope there's a reason why this happens and it's not a bad unit. Thanks for any help.

I noticed this as well. I use the internal decoder on the 2550 and pass the audio via analog to my NAD T762. Blu-ray's are perfect. Put in a DVD, and I get a soft hum from the sub. Note that this is most definitely not a ground loop problem, as the hum will come and go---skipping around the various top-level menus for example. I.e., the hum only kicks in when the player has an audio stream to decode.

I didn't notice this back when I had it connected to the NAD via digital. Since the Sammy has more up-to-date codecs than the NAD, I figured analog would be a win.

Anyone else have this problem? Even better, a solution?
davidyon is offline  
post #4962 of 7068 Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, Earth
Posts: 2,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The saga continues with getting HD audio out of the BD-P2550 with component video out. The original problem is that player will not output DVDs at 480p over component when using HDMI audio.

I figured there had to be a way. I try the multi-channel analog outs. At first that looked promising. I was getting HD audio from Blu-rays and DVDs were playing at 480p. So far so good, except when I go to play Netflix streaming -- there is no audio. If I switch back to HDMI audio works for Netflix. So, it now looks like I have 3 choices:

1) Use HDMI audio for Blu-ray and Netflix -- but not watch DVDs
2) Use multichannel analog audio for Blu-ray and DVD -- and not be able to hear Netflix
3) Use optical out for Blu-ray, DVD and Netflix -- and give up HD audio on Blu-ray discs

The primary reason for buying the player is for Netflix, so 2) is out. I don't want to miss out on HD audio for Blu-rays, so 3) is out. That leaves me with 1). I have a Reon based player that I cannot use for DVD playback.

Please tell me it is not true. I have to say that this is my first Samsung player and I am not too impressed so far.
miata is offline  
post #4963 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

The saga continues with getting HD audio out of the BD-P2550 with component video out. The original problem is that player will not output DVDs at 480p over component when using HDMI audio.

I figured there had to be a way. I try the multi-channel analog outs. At first that looked promising. I was getting HD audio from Blu-rays and DVDs were playing at 480p. So far so good, except when I go to play Netflix streaming -- there is no audio. If I switch back to HDMI audio works for Netflix. So, it now looks like I have 3 choices:

1) Use HDMI audio for Blu-ray and Netflix -- but not watch DVDs
2) Use multichannel analog audio for Blu-ray and DVD -- and not be able to hear Netflix
3) Use optical out for Blu-ray, DVD and Netflix -- and give up HD audio on Blu-ray discs

The primary reason for buying the player is for Netflix, so 2) is out. I don't want to miss out on HD audio for Blu-rays, so 3) is out. That leaves me with 1). I have a Reon based player that I cannot use for DVD playback.

Please tell me it is not true. I have to say that this is my first Samsung player and I am not too impressed so far.


Since Netflix audio is only 2 channel right now anyway could you just connect the regular left/right audio connections and keep the multi-channel connected for BD/DVD playback?
laserjock II is offline  
post #4964 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

Those "laser cleaners (CD/DVD/BD/whatever)" were and are a scam: they never work. You most likely have a hardware failure (doesn't matter whether it's a single or dual laser assembly). Also, blowing compressed air into sensitive electronics usually does more harm than good.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I see you've been struggling with this for a few days and didn't want you to waste anymore time.

I didn't say it WOULD work but did you actually read the way this one supposedly works?

A few comments from some people that actually used it are here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...prefix=maxell+ although I suspect that our friend RobertJohnson has a hardware problem it might still be "worth a try"
laserjock II is offline  
post #4965 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, Earth
Posts: 2,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Since Netflix audio is only 2 channel right now anyway could you just connect the regular left/right audio connections and keep the multi-channel connected for BD/DVD playback?

I'm a little confused by your comment. Netflix does not play through the analog outs. [UPDATED: Audio doesn't play through right/left front multi-channel outputs -- but will play through the discrete stereo outputs -- doesn't really help, but wanted to make that clear] . Besides, I did some testing and discovered that the 2550's multi-channel analog output leaves a lot to be desired. The HDMI audio is much better with my set-up.

I now have everything set up so that I use HDMI audio for Blu-ray and Netflix and only use the analog outs for DVD. I had to set up my AVR and remote so that they act like different sources, but it works. The DVD audio is not all that great from the analogs, but I'll have to live with that. Other than that, I am pretty happy with the other aspects of the player. I think I can now remove the OPPO 980 player from the rack and swap the HD-A20 with my region-free hacked HD-XA2 from the other room. With the combination of two players I will be able to play:

BDP-2550
- Blu-ray
- primary DVD player -- since it is much faster than the HD-XA2
- Netflix streaming

HD-XA2:
- HD DVD
- Secondary DVD player when audio quality is critical or for non-region 1 discs

I am still scratching my head wondering why Samsung made the decision to output DVDs over component at 480i when using HDMI audio. This just makes no sense. Why did Samsung not have the 2550 de-interlace with the Reon given that that is one of the primary reasons people buy this player? This and a number of other limitations in this player really made my set-up really difficult. For example:

- no Netflix audio through 5.1 analog outs
- no Netflix audio through digital optical out [correction -- test again based on nextoo's comment and this does work]
- no way to have separate PCM/bitstream wettings for HDMI/optical mean I can't easily swap between HDMI and digital optical audio
- limited speaker configuration options compromise the multi-channel analog output quality

Now, does anybody know if there is a way to play AVCHD movies on SDHC cards from my Canon HF100? I couldn't get them to play with a USB adaptor.
miata is offline  
post #4966 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
TooLittleTimeZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like a great story for one of those TV investigative reporters to cover. If you call one they may do a "spot" about it and get Samsung to repair it for free (don't all those TV stories end that way?).

Can the automatic firmware updating be turned off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpakbob View Post

Ya know, one might say I am the looser here and in many ways I am, but Samsung will not get one dime from me to fix the blueray player they bricked. Don't know what I will do, but rather than give them $80 more to fix what they broke, with no guarantee it won't happen again I will not put good money after bad. I will just wait for the prices to drop a little more and use that $80 plus what I would have paid for shipping and buy another brand. Should be able to get one near $200 sometime soon anyway.
Three Samsung HDTV's two Samsung PC Monitors and one black Samsung brick. That's my last Samsung anything....

TooLittleTimeZZZ is offline  
post #4967 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nextoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I'm a little confused by your comment. Netflix does not play through the analog outs. Besides, I did some testing and discovered that the 2550's multi-channel analog output leaves a lot to be desired. The HDMI audio is much better with my set-up.

I now have everything set up so that I use HDMI audio for Blu-ray and Netflix and only use the analog outs for DVD. I had to set up my AVR and remote so that they act like different sources, but it works. The DVD audio is not all that great from the analogs, but I'll have to live with that. Other than that, I am pretty happy with the other aspects of the player. I think I can now remove the OPPO 980 player from the rack and swap the HD-A20 with my region-free hacked HD-XA2 from the other room. With the combination of two players I will be able to play:

BDP-2550
- Blu-ray
- primary DVD player -- since it is much faster than the HD-XA2
- Netflix streaming

HD-XA2:
- HD DVD
- Secondary DVD player when audio quality is critical or for non-region 1 discs

I am still scratching my head wondering why Samsung made the decision to output DVDs over component at 480i when using HDMI audio. This just makes no sense. Why did Samsung not have the 2550 de-interlace with the Reon given that that is one of the primary reasons people buy this player? This and a number of other limitations in this player really made my set-up really difficult. For example:

- no Netflix audio through 5.1 analog outs
- no Netflix audio through digital optical out
- no way to have separate PCM/bitstream wettings for HDMI/optical mean I can't easily swap between HDMI and digital optical audio
- limited speaker configuration options compromise the multi-channel analog output quality

Now, does anybody know if there is a way to play AVCHD movies on SDHC cards from my Canon HF100? I couldn't get them to play with a USB adaptor.

I think you should retest some of your assumptions.

Netflix audio for example. In my case I get Netflix audio from the 2 channel analog audio outputs (R & W), toslink digital output and HDMI - simultaneously. I haven't tested Netflix using the multi channel outputs but it wouldn't suprise me that, as you report, it is a no go. Netflix currently offers only 2 channel audio.

edit -

I just checked a DVD and I'm getting audio out of HDMI, multi channel analog outs, 2 channel analog audio out, optical Toslink out - simultaneously.
nextoo is offline  
post #4968 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
chinee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near West Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty1 View Post

There are a good number of manufacturers. I use Actiontec from Amazon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Get a Belkin 200 Mbps Powerline adapter from Best Buy for $82+tax. They are on Clearance(went for $180+tax originally).

Just make sure it is the 200 Mbps version(purple on the box). I have a pair and the work GREAT. No loss of a 8Mbps signal at all through the house, even though the two outlets are a ways away on my Switch Board down in the basement.

Most people say these things can go up to, like 58-59MBps max(maybe more than that. Maybe 80Mbps, but not up too 200Mbps), but really no higher in real world tests. It is more than enough. HD/DD/DTS/etc... won't be streamed for the normal individual on the average for YEARS, and I mean YEARS, to come.

This will work just fine until that day arrives(not for a while though), and by then, an new type of wall adapter will exist that can transmit TB though a powerline.

Thanks... but I returned the 2550 this morning... if I'm spending another $70-$100 to get streaming, I may as well buy the 3600. Got the 3600 and 4 BDs for under 3 bills on Big River today. Now that's a great special!

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
chinee is offline  
post #4969 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, Earth
Posts: 2,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

I think you should retest some of your assumptions.

Netflix audio for example. In my case I get Netflix audio from the 2 channel analog audio outputs (R & W), toslink digital output and HDMI - simultaneously. I haven't tested Netflix using the multi channel outputs but it wouldn't suprise me that, as you report, it is a no go. Netflix currently offers only 2 channel audio.

edit -

I just checked a DVD and I'm getting audio out of HDMI, multi channel analog outs, 2 channel analog audio out, optical Toslink out - simultaneously.

Thanks Nextoo. I re-tested the digital optical out and that does work fine with Netflix. I don't know what was wrong before. I also tested with Blu-ray and that works as well. However, with DVD I have to disconnect the HDMI cable while playing through optical or I get 480i rather than 480p over component. The re-encoded DTS sound sound is pretty good -- definitely better than the analog outs. I am much happier with this simpler set-up. I'll just have to remove the HDMI cable to make this work in all modes.
miata is offline  
post #4970 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Member
 
heney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Unplug router then modem, reverse steps and then check your Netflix accout on a computer to make sure the 2500 is in your settings as a device to stream to.

Thanks the unplugging the router worked. It's always the simple things.
heney is offline  
post #4971 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Thanks Nextoo. I re-tested the digital optical out and that does work fine with Netflix. I don't know what was wrong before. I also tested with Blu-ray and that works as well. However, with DVD I have to disconnect the HDMI cable while playing through optical or I get 480i rather than 480p over component. The re-encoded DTS sound sound is pretty good -- definitely better than the analog outs. I am much happier with this simpler set-up. I'll just have to remove the HDMI cable to make this work in all modes.

Might want to get one of these then.

laserjock II is offline  
post #4972 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, Earth
Posts: 2,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Might want to get one of these then.


Good idea. I may have to think more about this. You also got me wondering if some kind of switch would let me automate the whole thing. The only problem is that I need to switch back and forth between PCM mode for Blu-ray audio and re-encoded DTS for DVD since my AVR cannot deal with HD bitstreams. Again, the DTS re-encoding over optical digital may be good enough for my bedroom system.
miata is offline  
post #4973 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Good idea. I may have to think more about this. You also got me wondering if some kind of switch would let me automate the whole thing. The only problem is that I need to switch back and forth between PCM mode for Blu-ray audio and re-encoded DTS for DVD since my AVR cannot deal with HD bitstreams. Again, the DTS re-encoding over optical digital may be good enough for my bedroom system.

I did think of this $15 switch as well and leave one HDMI port open.

laserjock II is offline  
post #4974 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by heney View Post

Thanks the unplugging the router worked. It's always the simple things.

laserjock II is offline  
post #4975 of 7068 Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Member
 
USSValor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wilton Manors, FL
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee View Post

Thanks... but I returned the 2550 this morning... if I'm spending another $70-$100 to get streaming, I may as well buy the 3600. Got the 3600 and 4 BDs for under 3 bills on Big River today. Now that's a great special!

Can someone please brieflly tell me what streaming is? I thought the BD-P2550 had a better picture than the newer BD-P3600.

Val Lorien
Blu-ray: Anyone else surprised that Sony finally won a format war?
USSValor is offline  
post #4976 of 7068 Old 05-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Vrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb1 View Post

I searched the thread and didn't find anyone saying they received the following error message:

"your bd player's netflix keys have been hacked" and it said I could no longer play Netflix movies on my player. So I'm going to just post how I fixed it since the answers were spread out on this thread. I can't say each step is necessary, but it worked. I have the newest firmware.

1. Deactivated the player at Netflix's website. Under "Your Account" ...
2. Hard reset by pressing fast-forward on the player for five seconds with no disc.
3. Attempt to play a Netflix movie (red "A" button on main screen).
4. Perform the regular activation process for Netflix.
5. Reenter Time Zone, Time, etc. settings in player.

Hope that helps somebody in the future.

Thanks for the advice. However this did not work for me. Holding the FF button with no disc does not seem to have any effect. I tried unplugging, but I still get the same error message when I try to access Netflix. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Vrex is offline  
post #4977 of 7068 Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Robert_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: North TX
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Argh!!! Count me in on the bricked 2500 tally.

I upgraded firmware to 2.5 via the ethernet port. Everything went smooth and the unit turned itself off. When I turned it back on - blue Samsung screen and just "LOAD" on the 2500 display. How frustrating is that!

I will be calling Samsung this week.
Robert_S is offline  
post #4978 of 7068 Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Member
 
killahb36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i need help!?!? i have my tv avr and bluray all connected via hdmi. When i go to play a movie on the bluray player at best i get the dreaded green screen and audio only? this is the equipment.
1)Pioneer 42 PDP-42A3HD Plasma
2)Yahmaha RX-V465
3)Samsung 2550
When i turn the player on i get the samsung screen and can go through all the setup menus no problem. I have the display set to 1080i the 24p off and the audio set to bitstream(audiophile). As soon as i put a movie in i have only tried dvd's i don't have any bluray discs yet, the loading bar comes up, it loads, then the screen goes black? I get a lot of flickering on the tv (no signal then black, no signal then black) and also flickering on the front of the avr (hdmi light goes on and off and decoder goes on and off). I never get sound or video the entire time. If I turn the tv off at this point, then back on I will get the green screen finally with sound now? I never get the video and sound however? What is going on? This is driving me crazy any help would be appreciated greatly.
killahb36 is offline  
post #4979 of 7068 Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Newbie
 
winpakbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Robert,
That will be $87 and oh by the way the shipping and insurance is on you. However because we are "nice guys" we will honor your warranty. Just give us the $87 and we will replace the parts you messed up for FREE. Just pay the labor oh, did we mention that will be $87. Don't you feel better now?

They will not be getting another $87 from me on top of what I paid for this mistake... bye Samsung.
Sorry for the sarcasm Robert, I wish you much better luck dealing with Samsung than I have had. Let's hope all the calls have softened their "it must have been your fault" attitude by now.
winpakbob is offline  
post #4980 of 7068 Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Cyberbod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahb36 View Post

i need help!?!? i have my tv avr and bluray all connected via hdmi. When i go to play a movie on the bluray player at best i get the dreaded green screen and audio only? this is the equipment.
1)Pioneer 42 PDP-42A3HD Plasma
2)Yahmaha RX-V465
3)Samsung 2550
When i turn the player on i get the samsung screen and can go through all the setup menus no problem. I have the display set to 1080i the 24p off and the audio set to bitstream(audiophile). As soon as i put a movie in i have only tried dvd's i don't have any bluray discs yet, the loading bar comes up, it loads, then the screen goes black? I get a lot of flickering on the tv (no signal then black, no signal then black) and also flickering on the front of the avr (hdmi light goes on and off and decoder goes on and off). I never get sound or video the entire time. If I turn the tv off at this point, then back on I will get the green screen finally with sound now? I never get the video and sound however? What is going on? This is driving me crazy any help would be appreciated greatly.

Sounds to me like an HDMI thing. Your reciever would be the culprit. Play around with different ways of connecting. Did you try connecting your 2550 directly to the TV. That should tell you if your player is indeed outputing a video signal.
Cyberbod is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off