Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread - Page 233 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6961 of 7068 Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just updated the FW and it went fine.

I got Black Swan in the mail yesterday and it's been getting stuck loading the menu after the previews. Apparently this FW didn't fix this for me. Is anyone else having the same problem with Black Swan, and if so is there a fix? I'd prefer to watch this now rather then returning it to Netflix and request the DVD version...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 7068 Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagaform View Post

I just updated the FW and it went fine.

I got Black Swan in the mail yesterday and it's been getting stuck loading the menu after the previews. Apparently this FW didn't fix this for me. Is anyone else having the same problem with Black Swan, and if so is there a fix? I'd prefer to watch this now rather then returning it to Netflix and request the DVD version...

Thanks in advance!

Look to see if there are hairline cracks on the edges of your disc. This is a common problem with Netflix Blu-rays as sometimes they get damaged by USPS. I have not watched Black Swan on my BD-P2550.
post #6963 of 7068 Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Black Swan plays fine on 2.7 At least on a rental via blockbuster.
post #6964 of 7068 Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anettis View Post

I have also been wondering if the little Roku box is the way to go and simply letting the Blu-Ray player be just that a Blu-Ray / DVD player. Seems like the folks are Roku keep improving the interface, adding new features, etc. at pace that Samsung would likely never achieve (except perhaps for a current year player).

I would like to endorse the Roku similar to DougSmith. It is simple and does what it is supposed to (stream online media content) with minimal fuss. It does the heavy lifting in our house as it is on the main floor and is used for either Pandora or Netflix almost constantly. Getting Roku will free you up to buy the BD player of your choice without needing it to stream online content.
post #6965 of 7068 Old 05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharat-N View Post

I would like to endorse the Roku similar to DougSmith. It is simple and does what it is supposed to (stream online media content) with minimal fuss. It does the heavy lifting in our house as it is on the main floor and is used for either Pandora or Netflix almost constantly. Getting Roku will free you up to buy the BD player of your choice without needing it to stream online content.

X3. My Roku works perfectly for streaming, my Samsung BD is a PIA with a clunky interface.
post #6966 of 7068 Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM

hi folks
I have a toshiba hd-ep30 hd-dvd player and a sony bdp-s370 blu-ray player.
I play all my dvds on the tosh as its multi region and has the anchor bay chip in and is a pretty decent dvd player always been happy with it.
the sony while brilliant for blu-rays i dont personally think is over great for dvd playback.
The toshiba is getting on a bit now and i will be pretty gutted when it dies so im thinking of picking up a second hand samsung bd-p2500 as a backup blu-ray player and to watch all my dvds on so not using the tosh all the time, im purely thinking of getting this player because it contains the reon hqv chip.
So firstly will i see a vast difference between the reon in the samsung and the anchor bay in the tosh and secondly is it possible to make this player multi region for dvd playback.
I could use the sony blu-ray but like i said not over keen on dvd playback quality on this player.
Oh and im running all these at 1080p on a 42 inch lg lcd tv.
thanks in advance for any help :-)
post #6967 of 7068 Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
Look to see if there are hairline cracks on the edges of your disc. This is a common problem with Netflix Blu-rays as sometimes they get damaged by USPS. I have not watched Black Swan on my BD-P2550.
It was the disk. I didn't notice any cracks, in fact, the disk looked great. When I got the replacement disk from Netflix, the second disk worked great.

Thanks!
post #6968 of 7068 Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just some info about update 2.8 of the firmware. I just did it yesterday and immediately afterward I tried Inception bluray because that has been the only disc I have ever had problems with (check my old posts). I was so happy that after the update I do not experience the same audio sync/drop out issues that I had before at very specific times (so it was easy to check for). Anyway that made my day (its one of my favorite movies.....) and just wanted to let everyone know.
post #6969 of 7068 Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I "greased the rails" on my 2500 a few days ago and got rid of a lot of the seeking noises when you put a disc in -NICE!
post #6970 of 7068 Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahb36 View Post

Just some info about update 2.8 of the firmware. I just did it yesterday and immediately afterward I tried Inception bluray because that has been the only disc I have ever had problems with (check my old posts). I was so happy that after the update I do not experience the same audio sync/drop out issues that I had before at very specific times (so it was easy to check for). Anyway that made my day (its one of my favorite movies.....) and just wanted to let everyone know.

Did you try your Netflix and/or Pandora. I got no netwotk connection after upgrading to 2.8. Not that I need either . Manually setup the network, still did not work. Test network with Tivo and Seagate Media Player no problem with network.
post #6971 of 7068 Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

Did you try your Netflix and/or Pandora. I got no netwotk connection after upgrading to 2.8. Not that I need either . Manually setup the network, still did not work. Test network with Tivo and Seagate Media Player no problem with network.

I have not tried, I will this evening, thanks for the heads up.
post #6972 of 7068 Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahb36 View Post

I have not tried, I will this evening, thanks for the heads up.

Thank you but there is no need. My fault entirely, used a bad cable I made some time ago and did not marked it as defective. I replaced the wire and it's AOK now. Thanks again.

It's in my BR and rarely gets used so it's all good.
post #6973 of 7068 Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1982 View Post
hi folks
I have a toshiba hd-ep30 hd-dvd player and a sony bdp-s370 blu-ray player.
I play all my dvds on the tosh as its multi region and has the anchor bay chip in and is a pretty decent dvd player always been happy with it.
the sony while brilliant for blu-rays i dont personally think is over great for dvd playback.
The toshiba is getting on a bit now and i will be pretty gutted when it dies so im thinking of picking up a second hand samsung bd-p2500 as a backup blu-ray player and to watch all my dvds on so not using the tosh all the time, im purely thinking of getting this player because it contains the reon hqv chip.
So firstly will i see a vast difference between the reon in the samsung and the anchor bay in the tosh and secondly is it possible to make this player multi region for dvd playback.
I could use the sony blu-ray but like i said not over keen on dvd playback quality on this player.
Oh and im running all these at 1080p on a 42 inch lg lcd tv.
thanks in advance for any help :-)
I had a Tosh A30 (same as ep30) and thought the XA2 (HD-EX1 in the EU) with reon processor was noticeably better, but then when I got my BD-P2500 with reon I thought it was just as good as the XA2/XE1. But I've never seen any way to make the 2500 region free. Also, the power supply says 110 volts 60 Hz only.
post #6974 of 7068 Old 05-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

I had a Tosh A30 (same as ep30) and thought the XA2 (HD-EX1 in the EU) with reon processor was noticeably better, but then when I got my BD-P2500 with reon I thought it was just as good as the XA2/XE1. But I've never seen any way to make the 2500 region free. Also, the power supply says 110 volts 60 Hz only.

hm i may have to definately consider picking this up then lol ive spotted a secondhand 1 for 100 quid which seems a good price.
what do you mean about the power adaptor will it be ok in the UK then the one i have seen is a UK model.
Will have to give it some serious thought if quite a bit better than the EP30 because ive always thought that was pretty good for upscaling am also considering a toshiba XDE600 as this can be made multiregion but im a bit more wary of this player because it got mixed reviews lot of people said it was amazing and a fair few said it was rubbish so not sure.
Plus the 2500 gets an extra tick cos i have a spare blu-ray player too then.
thanks
post #6975 of 7068 Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1982 View Post
hm i may have to definately consider picking this up then lol ive spotted a secondhand 1 for 100 quid which seems a good price.
what do you mean about the power adaptor will it be ok in the UK then the one i have seen is a UK model.
Will have to give it some serious thought if quite a bit better than the EP30 because ive always thought that was pretty good for upscaling am also considering a toshiba XDE600 as this can be made multiregion but im a bit more wary of this player because it got mixed reviews lot of people said it was amazing and a fair few said it was rubbish so not sure.
Plus the 2500 gets an extra tick cos i have a spare blu-ray player too then.
thanks
I am not sure about the UK versions but I can tell you my XDE-500 does a equal or better job on DVD than my P2550 and Oppo BDP-95. It produces a sharper image in general but with slightly more noise than the other two. It does seem to pixelate occasionally if it has been on for a long time and then followed by a lot of fast fwd/bwd etc. It always managed to recover from it after a simple and quick power cycle so it is not an issue for me. I am talking about watching real world video/movies, and I have no doubt my Oppo will beat it in test patterns, though I remember the XDE scored quite well too in one of those bench mark tests. I may still be able to find it on the web.

Found it:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/dvd-p...w.html?start=3

I use my BDP and universals for HD AV material only as there is no need to wear those more expensive machines down playing SD discs when the $99 XDE can do the job as good or better. I think people (some anyway) trash the XDE because of the way they feel about Toshiba but that's just IMHO. If you can buy one for cheap and returnable, try it out for yourself. If you are interested in the product, you deserve to know the truth instead of relying on hearsays.
post #6976 of 7068 Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks in advance for any help. Long time lurker.

I've had Samsung bd-p2500 > Onkyo tx-sr606 >Panny th-42px60u working with HDMI switching for about 2.5 years with no problems.

Now the Sammy with firmware from 4-12-2009 will not connect via HDMI switching.

Dish 622, Xbox 360, DroidX all still work in ALL HDMI ports on the 606. No problem with switching on any other devices.

Sammy works when plugged in directly to Panny.

I upgraded Sammy firmware to latest via CD. Same problems. Sammy works plugged directly into displays. I replaced all HDMI cables as well.

I've read about the 606 HDMI problems. I don't think the card is bad because all my other devices work properly. Any ideas?
post #6977 of 7068 Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post

I am not sure about the UK versions but I can tell you my XDE-500 does a equal or better job on DVD than my P2550 and Oppo BDP-95. It produces a sharper image in general but with slightly more noise than the other two. It does seem to pixelate occasionally if it has been on for a long time and then followed by a lot of fast fwd/bwd etc. It always managed to recover from it after a simple and quick power cycle so it is not an issue for me. I am talking about watching real world video/movies, and I have no doubt my Oppo will beat it in test patterns, though I remember the XDE scored quite well too in one of those bench mark tests. I may still be able to find it on the web.

Found it:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/dvd-p...w.html?start=3

I use my BDP and universals for HD AV material only as there is no need to wear those more expensive machines down playing SD discs when the $99 XDE can do the job as good or better. I think people (some anyway) trash the XDE because of the way they feel about Toshiba but that's just IMHO. If you can buy one for cheap and returnable, try it out for yourself. If you are interested in the product, you deserve to know the truth instead of relying on hearsays.

I own the XDE-500, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP-93 and this Samsung BD-P2550. I absolutely disagree, the XDE-500 is not nearly as good as any of those three and can't upscale 4:3 content without stretching on my displays, therefore it sits in the closet. It was a pain to switch the player to 480p when viewing 4:3, then back to 1080p when viewing anamorphic widescreen DVDs. It isn't worth $100 relative to inexpensive Blu-ray players now and I don't think Toshiba is going to continue to make players like it, it was heavily hyped on release but didn't deliver. Yes, the better players will definitely do better with objective test discs, anybody can see that for themselves.

I have 4 of these stupid BD-P25x0 players, none have held up. All worked properly for about a dozen or maybe 2 dozen discs before starting to freeze and perform poorly. The last one I picked up for $2.50 at a garage sale so I couldn't expect better, it actually still plays DVD fine but will freeze with Blu-ray maybe 15 minutes into the program.

Is there a new consensus about how to try to fix these players? I did put feet on the one I have connected now to elevate it 1.5" and it is the open, well ventilated but I still wonder if it overheats. I might try cannibalizing players to get one that works correctly but even then I am not sure with the various issues each has how to proceed with that process. One appears to have a good drive but bad supply, another appears to work properly for a brief period then start freezing, maybe overheating. If cutting a hole and installing a fan is one possible fix, maybe I will try that with the player that appears to overheat or maybe I should just throw all of them away and spend my time on something less frustrating. My total investment in the 4 is quite a lot to have nothing to show for it.
post #6978 of 7068 Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I own the XDE-500, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP-93 and this Samsung BD-P2550. I absolutely disagree, the XDE-500 is not nearly as good as any of those three and can't upscale 4:3 content without stretching on my displays, therefore it sits in the closet. It was a pain to switch the player to 480p when viewing 4:3, then back to 1080p when viewing anamorphic widescreen DVDs. It isn't worth $100 relative to inexpensive Blu-ray players now and I don't think Toshiba is going to continue to make players like it, it was heavily hyped on release but didn't deliver. Yes, the better players will definitely do better with objective test discs, anybody can see that for themselves.

I have 4 of these stupid BD-P25x0 players, none have held up. All worked properly for about a dozen or maybe 2 dozen discs before starting to freeze and perform poorly. The last one I picked up for $2.50 at a garage sale so I couldn't expect better, it actually still plays DVD fine but will freeze with Blu-ray maybe 15 minutes into the program.

Is there a new consensus about how to try to fix these players? I did put feet on the one I have connected now to elevate it 1.5" and it is the open, well ventilated but I still wonder if it overheats. I might try cannibalizing players to get one that works correctly but even then I am not sure with the various issues each has how to proceed with that process. One appears to have a good drive but bad supply, another appears to work properly for a brief period then start freezing, maybe overheating. If cutting a hole and installing a fan is one possible fix, maybe I will try that with the player that appears to overheat or maybe I should just throw all of them away and spend my time on something less frustrating. My total investment in the 4 is quite a lot to have nothing to show for it.

I must have been absolutely really lucky with my XDE and the P2550. I did try many times comparing it with my Oppo 95 and I really do prefer the PQ of the XDE playing DVD movies. I don't watch 4:3 and I agree it will be a pain if I have to manually change the resolution to 480p each time. I would also agree there is really no place for the XDE today regardess, when BD and BDP are so cheap. (Edit: Out of curiosity I just tried an old 4:3 DVD and it has no problem playing it in 1080i or 1080p without stretching. All I had to do was to select 4:3 on my Kuro using the screen size button on the remote).

Regarding the P2550, I have yet to find a BD disc that it won't play. In fact it plays one that my PS3 would not and that did surpise me initially but then I found out that disc would play on my Pioneer and Oppo as well but not the PS3. My unit is over 2 years old now and my only small complaint about this player is the fan noise. About a year ago I read about the overheating issue so I followed the recommendations to put feet under it, but the ones I used elevated it by only about 3/4". Since it sits on top of the cabinet without being enclosed I thought 3/4" would be good enough.
post #6979 of 7068 Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I must have been absolutely really lucky with my XDE and the P2550. I did try many times comparing it with my Oppo 95 and I really do prefer the PQ of the XDE playing DVD movies. I don't watch 4:3 and I agree it will be a pain if I have to manually change the resolution to 480p each time. I would also agree there is really no place for the XDE today regardess, when BD and BDP are so cheap. (Edit: Out of curiosity I just tried an old 4:3 DVD and it has no problem playing it in 1080i or 1080p without stretching. All I had to do was to select 4:3 on my Kuro using the screen size button on the remote).

Regarding the P2550, I have yet to find a BD disc that it won't play. In fact it plays one that my PS3 would not and that did surpise me initially but then I found out that disc would play on my Pioneer and Oppo as well but not the PS3. My unit is over 2 years old now and my only small complaint about this player is the fan noise. About a year ago I read about the overheating issue so I followed the recommendations to put feet under it, but the ones I used elevated it by only about 3/4". Since it sits on top of the cabinet without being enclosed I thought 3/4" would be good enough.

I believe a majority of HD displays can't force the proper aspect ratio when used with the XDE-500 and 4:3 DVDs but I do understand many can which is why I indicated the displays I used with the player can not do it. The displays that can't do it expect an HD signal at 16:9 and have no adjustment option to change that if it isn't, the player must pillarbox the signal which of course this player and all Oppo players can do properly.

I do have one BD-P2550 still working properly, I just set it up to use it with the taller feet and it played a movie completely without issue but it has been used for a total of 10 discs and based on prior history, I assume it will develop problems as well. You are saying you can hear fan noise with your BD-P2550?
post #6980 of 7068 Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:

You are saying you can hear fan noise with your BD-P2550?

I can hear it from 12 ft away, about the same level as my PS3 slim but the sound is not as annoying as that of the slim. It is not excessively loud, but absolutely audible in quiet scenes. I could never hear the XDE and the Pioneer 320 or the Oppo. I read about the slim being quiet but mine is not. So I guess I am not so lucky in terms of having noisy fans.

Since I paid almost full price back in the beginning of 2009, I complained about the noise and the dealer let me tried another one, same thing, so I was going to swap out the fan with a quieter one when the one year warranty expired but just got too lazy. Although I have the other players but I use the 2550 90% of the time because if it dies I wouldn't be as upset as if I lose the other ones. If yours is still working after so long I bet you it won't die on you now for a long time. Mine has been a work horse so far as I use it a lot.

By the way I have not even bothered updating the 2550 to FW version 2.8. If it fails to play a disc then I will do the update.
post #6981 of 7068 Old 06-26-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

By the way I have not even bothered updating the 2550 to FW version 2.8. If it fails to play a disc then I will do the update.

My thoughts exactly.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #6982 of 7068 Old 06-26-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

First, find/keep the drives that "work" (they're also worth something in the aftermarket). You're on the right track with the heat thing (and feet), but check the heat sinks on the motherboard; they are known to NOT make proper contact and draw heat down to the chassis (check this thread for re-application). I would be surprised if you can't get 1 (or 2 depending on your optical drives) good units. I've been lucky: mine plays everything I throw at it and doesn't overheat, but that didn't stop me from picking up an extra drive (on eBay) a couple of years ago.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #6983 of 7068 Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Ive got two also, and one is very prone to heat. In fact it will not play unless the cover is off and it's standing on its end. That way the heat seems to drift up and away. Have toyed with the idea of cutting out the bottom of the chassis and mounting a fan cooled heatsink, but never bothered since it's my bedroom unit and I mainly used it for Netflix, now my Seagate streamer handles that.
post #6984 of 7068 Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Same thing here until I tried to play Battle: LA. It played for 10 - 15 minutes and then froze solid. This is a purchased disc so not from Netflix. Had to power it off and back on to get it working again. I forwarded it to the scene just before it froze and played it and it froze again at the exact same spot. I updated the firmware to 2.8 and it played with no problems. First time I ever had any issues with it. Previously I was on version 2.4.
post #6985 of 7068 Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 AM

I think I'm still on FW Ver. 2.4 and Battle: LA played fine on mine...

Go figure.

Rick
post #6986 of 7068 Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Haven't been following the thread, but I'm assuming the 2.8 FW doesn't add any features then... Not really expecting it at this point, since many of these units are dead and forgotten. My BD-P2500 still is chugging along with no problems or noise. It's not my primary unit, but still sees regular use (3-4 movies a month).
post #6987 of 7068 Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider View Post
Haven't been following the thread, but I'm assuming the 2.8 FW doesn't add any features then... Not really expecting it at this point, since many of these units are dead and forgotten. My BD-P2500 still is chugging along with no problems or noise. It's not my primary unit, but still sees regular use (3-4 movies a month).
No new features just disc compatibility. I have always found that Samsung is not that great when it comes to supporting customers after the sale.
post #6988 of 7068 Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 PM

Hey all,

Coen Brothers' True Grit got hung up when I used 'Play Movie' selection from the main menu. Eject/ Reload/ Scene Selection/ Scene 1 played without issue.

Just thought I would share in case anyone searches w/ similar issue here...

S/W: 101122.01_111208B0_1254.08_XAA

100 proof women, 90 proof whiskey, 14 carat gold...
Is this epitaph taken, amigos?
post #6989 of 7068 Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Howietawny, what version of FW do you have installed?

Thx in advance... -TD
post #6990 of 7068 Old 08-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Mine keeps freezing too.What's the solution for this ? A new one,different one ?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page