Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 7068 Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to pull the trigger on a BD-P2550. In reading the features on bestbuy.com, it lists:

"Delivers greatly enhanced video performance with standard DVDs by upconverting their video resolution to HDTV-compliant 720p or 1080p via the HDMI interface and the built-in HQV chip"

To me, this seems to say that it only upconverts when using the HDMI output. I need to use component to hook up to my 1080p TV. Can anyone verify whether this player will upconvert when using component output? If so, will it upconvert to the full 1080p when using component out?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 7068 Old 11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 212
No commerically available players allow to upconvert copy-protected DVDs via component. At least not without hacks. There is no known hacks for Sammy AFAIK.
post #723 of 7068 Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

One could utilize their "backups" made with either AnyDVD or good ol' DVDDecrypter. Upscaling should work then, unless they have hardwired the upscaling to HDMI.
post #724 of 7068 Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Theoritically that should work but no all players support that way. I know some players only upconvert via HDMI and may even require HDCP even if the disc is not copy-protected.
post #725 of 7068 Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrm View Post

Oh yeah, I got 'bumped up to their next level for all the purchases I made!

What do you mean "bumped up to their next level"?
I buy a lot from monoprice.

Thanks.

Mike
post #726 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

What do you mean "bumped up to their next level"?
I buy a lot from monoprice.

Thanks.

Mike

Because of how much I've bought from them, they bumped me up to a level where I get a certain % off of cables, etc. I think it's still in effect. I've spent over $400 with them in last 18 months.

NOTE: It may have been temporary. I couldn't locate the email they sent me.
post #727 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Last night I called my cable / internet provider (WOW) and had them bump me up to the highest speed (it turned out to be only $5 dollars more) and all I can say is "what a major difference" on the Netflix! I was running the lowest speed (I think it was 2mbps) the dots filled would average between 2 and 3 (sometimes even 1) and though the quality was just OK I don't think I could've have watched any movies with it looking like that (documentaries and TV shows would've been ok). Well with my speed bumped up to 15mbps to me the stream quality is not only close to DVD but may even exceed it! By a long shot this is the best DVD player I have ever owned! Very Happy
post #728 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post

Last night I called my cable / internet provider (WOW) and had them bump me up to the highest speed (it turned out to be only $5 dollars more) and all I can say is "what a major difference" on the Netflix! I was running the lowest speed (I think it was 2mbps) the dots filled would average between 2 and 3 (sometimes even 1) and though the quality was just OK I don't think I could've have watched any movies with it looking like that (documentaries and TV shows would've been ok). Well with my speed bumped up to 15mbps to me the stream quality is not only close to DVD but may even exceed it! By a long shot this is the best DVD player I have ever owned! Very Happy

I could not agree more. I posted the same experience here: Better bandwidth better PQ

Now here is the really good news. The netflix feeds are affected by the Reon HQV chipset. Meaning the chipset cleans things up quite nicely. Play around with the sharpness and DNR settings in the player and you'll see what I mean.

Samsung really got it right with this one. The Reon HQV chipset makes this an extremely versatile player. Fantastic DVD upscaling, stunning PQ with exceptional AQ settings for BR playback and now probably the best netflix player in the wild because of the Reon.

I found a 2500 on ebay and with the Live Search 30% off discount I brought it home for less than $160 plus shipping. Amazing player. Highly recommended.
post #729 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 AM

I'm happy with the BD-P2550 I picked up on the weekend. Audio and video quality is excellent, as good as anything else I've tried.

Video: HDMI thru Monoprice switch to Panasonic PT-AE900U to 100" screen.
Audio: Analog to Sherwood P-965 to Nakamichi PA1 to NHT ST4 5.1 system

Load time and responsiveness is good enough that I'm not frustrated. I can't believe the in movie "Bonus view" popup is enabled by default, but that was easy enough to disable forever. Harmony remote setup was painless as expected.

Still have a lot more testing to do, including regular DVD playback. My Oppo has been boxed up and may have finally a player worthy to replace it.

I haven't paid attention to lights or fan noise because it's in a separate equipment room.
post #730 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Wow - $160.00 How do I get that discount?
post #731 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM

I just got a PS3 (haven't opened it yet -- $400 from Walmart with free $100 gift card), as I've heard it's the best for many of the things below. Here's what's important to me (at least, as far as my newbie mind can tell)...

1. Bluray picture quality
2. SD dvd picture quality
3. De-interlacing (guess the player would handle this)
4. Upscaling (though I guess my player would handle this too)
5. XviD/DivX .avi playback PQ
6. No burn-in worries (mainly because of watching a lot of 4:3 content)
7. Good for watching regular SD 4:3 sized stuff in center of screen (with bars on the side) -- i.e. *not* stretched to fill the screen.
7a. Accurate display of 4:3 material center screen.

I won't be playing video games.

I won't be watching regular tv (for the most part) and no cable at all.

I own a lot of SD dvds that I won't be replacing with bluray versions (and I want these to look at least as good as they do on my regular old 4:3 Toshiba 27" flatscreen tube tv).

I also watch .avi files of tv shows (some of which may not be in a HD format).

I won't be hooking up my computer to the display.

I'm leaning towards a PS3 as my player (for the regular updates, hard drive aspect for playing .avi files, and excellent rated upscaling of SD dvd as well as excellent bluray playback -- so I've read).

I will most likely get a Panasonic 50PZ800U (though there's a slight chance I'll get the Pioneer PDP-5020FD, but probably out of my price range), so consider those as the display.

Thanks for the help!
post #732 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 05:44 PM

I have used the PS3 for the last couple of years believing it was the best player up until I picked up the Samsung 2550 unit. I bought this unit believing it to be an all for one player like the PS3. I turned out to be mistaken on this because I thought the DTS -HD decoding meant it would decode master audio. It turns out that it doesn't but for these reason I am going to keep it. Even with regular dts on this player it sounds better than dts master audio on the PS3. Probably because it has less player noise and the quality of the audio DACS are much better. The first time I played this player I thought I was hearing sounds I did not hear before. On the video side details just pop out much better than on the PS3. I can't go back to the PS3. I will still use it because I game alot but it does not hold a candle at least to this model of dedicated player. By the way I use HDMI and pcm pass through for audia and 24hz setting on 1080p television.
post #733 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 294
omeaga66

You do realize that with your last statement saying that you use HDMI and PCM passthrough you don't even use the DACs in the Samsung that are supposedly "better" right?

There is nothing wrong with liking a player guys, but don't try to justify the reasons you like something with guesses and misinformation and then spreading it to the masses.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #734 of 7068 Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 PM

The decoding is done in the player internally so there is processing done with the player itself. I am not using bitstream (so it is player dependent). I have both. The PS3 can decode dts ma but it does sound as good. Before I got this player I wouldn't have believed this either.
post #735 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeaga66 View Post

The decoding is done in the player internally so there is processing done with the player itself. I am not using bitstream (so it is player dependent). I have both. The PS3 can decode dts ma but it does sound as good. Before I got this player I wouldn't have believed this either.

I think the confusion is your use of "DACs" -- which means "digital to analog", which a player is not using when it converts digital to digital (like TrueHD to PCM). In theory converting digitally should produce identical results -- the PS3 PCM version of TrueHD should sound identical to the Samsung PCM version of TrueHD. Actual DACs, on the other hand, vary greatly in quality and sound.
post #736 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeaga66 View Post

I have used the PS3 for the last couple of years believing it was the best player up until I picked up the Samsung 2550 unit. I bought this unit believing it to be an all for one player like the PS3. I turned out to be mistaken on this because I thought the DTS -HD decoding meant it would decode master audio. It turns out that it doesn't but for these reason I am going to keep it. Even with regular dts on this player it sounds better than dts master audio on the PS3. Probably because it has less player noise and the quality of the audio DACS are much better. The first time I played this player I thought I was hearing sounds I did not hear before. On the video side details just pop out much better than on the PS3. I can't go back to the PS3. I will still use it because I game alot but it does not hold a candle at least to this model of dedicated player. By the way I use HDMI and pcm pass through for audia and 24hz setting on 1080p television.

I have to say my experience is different than yours. What equipment are you using it with?

I have tested my 2550 against my PS3 in all sound modes. The only AUDIBLE difference that I have found was that the levels were different between PCM DTS-MA on the PS3 with HDMI VS Audiophile bitstream on the 2550 & having my Marantz SR7200 decode the DTS-MA signal. I will say this, lossless DTS-MA via VS DTS 1.5 optical is not even close in my setup. I am using a B&W CDM-9NT / CNT, SVS PB2+ sub, and have calibrated with Audyssey.

Video is a different story altogether. On SD-DVD, the Sammy is noticeably superior to the PS3. The HQV really shines here. On Blu, I'm seeing no difference. The lack of fan noise, and the added features (HQV & Netflix make it my choice for movies. I also want to keep the miles off of my PS3, as I game on it.

Kris, any chance you may be reviewing a 2500 / 2550?

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #737 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Have read the entire thread and don't see anything dramatic different between the two units except the music streaming for the 2550 unit. Is this really the only difference?

Reason I ask is that the 2500 just dropped to $309 on Amazon with Free Shipping so this is about a $67 difference compared to the 2550 once the tax is paid on a Best Buy purchase. So if I am reading the thread correctly then it seems the right thing to do is snatch up this 2500 at a $67 savings over the 2550 unless you REALLY value the music streaming of the 2550. Is this correct way t look at it or is there any other difference in the two units?
post #738 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 AM

I have Netflix service and like the Samsungs ability to download movies and TV shows. I only have Moderate speed DSL service in the 2400mps speed range so was wondering if you could attach a 2-4GB USB Thumb Drive to the Samsung and if it would buffer the downloading file onto the Internal Memory or the USB Drive for better quality and less dropouts?
post #739 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

Have read the entire thread and don't see anything dramatic different between the two units except the music streaming for the 2550 unit. Is this really the only difference?

Reason I ask is that the 2500 just dropped to $309 on Amazon with Free Shipping so this is about a $67 difference compared to the 2550 once the tax is paid on a Best Buy purchase. So if I am reading the thread correctly then it seems the right thing to do is snatch up this 2500 at a $67 savings over the 2550 unless you REALLY value the music streaming of the 2550. Is this correct way t look at it or is there any other difference in the two units?

Yes..that's the only technical difference (on top of a different paint job on the front bezel), so it's really wether you'd pay that difference for Pandora (which is nice)...the other is the small convenience of pickup/return/DOA possibility at Bestbuy vs through the mail ..if BB is close.
post #740 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

I have Netflix service and like the Samsungs ability to download movies and TV shows. I only have Moderate speed DSL service in the 2400mps speed range so was wondering if you could attach a 2-4GB USB Thumb Drive to the Samsung and if it would buffer the downloading file onto the Internal Memory or the USB Drive for better quality and less dropouts?

nope, it doesnt seem to use a buffer to allow you to get to 4 "o" if you have a slower connection (it already has a built in 1Gb Flash memory that would be more than enough for that on a SD movie if it supported that)

Seems to rely on determining the quality from the Internet connect (mine is about the same as yours and I get 3 out of 4..which looks ok, wish I could get the 4th though
post #741 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX View Post

I have one in for review right now, along with the Sony 5000ES.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #742 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I have one in for review right now, along with the Sony 5000ES.

Sweet. Especially looking forward to the Sony, I have to say.

Brad
post #743 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Video is a different story altogether. On SD-DVD, the Sammy is noticeably superior to the PS3. The HQV really shines here. On Blu, I'm seeing no difference. The lack of fan noise, and the added features (HQV & Netflix make it my choice for movies. I also want to keep the miles off of my PS3, as I game on it.

I guess this is hard to answer, but how much better is the PQ on SD dvds?

Also, does the Samsung play XviD (and I guess DivX) .avi files (like of tv shows)? (Question #5 on my post.)

(I thought I read that the 2550 does, but the 2500 doesn't -- or maybe that was another player...? If true, that's one other difference.)

Of course, the 2550 is well over the price of the PS3 (which I essentially got for $300), but the 2500 is around the same price.

Thanks again!
post #744 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I have to say my experience is different than yours. What equipment are you using it with?

I have tested my 2550 against my PS3 in all sound modes. The only AUDIBLE difference that I have found was that the levels were different between PCM DTS-MA on the PS3 with HDMI VS Audiophile bitstream on the 2550 & having my Marantz SR7200 decode the DTS-MA signal. I will say this, lossless DTS-MA via VS DTS 1.5 optical is not even close in my setup. I am using a B&W CDM-9NT / CNT, SVS PB2+ sub, and have calibrated with Audyssey.

I use a Marantz 5002 receiver which doesn't decode true hd or dts ma but allows pcm pass through up to 7.1 throught HDMI.
To put my experience into words the Samsungs audio on all levels is just cleaner than the PS3. Mind you I have 60GB PS3 (which is nearly 2 years old) and some improvements may have been made with newer models.
The video on the Samsung is sharper and the details pop out on the screen much more than the PS3. This is total contradiction to reviews in 2006 which indicated the PS3 was sharper than the BDP-1000 and led me to get the PS3 for blu-ray playback. DVD playback is superb on the samsung but I do not give this much weight in a blu-ray player decision.
My question now is after determining stand alone is the way to go is that will a Sony 550 or the new panasonic provide equal picture quality to the samsung 2550? These players support the dts-hd ma and I may go this route since I just purchased the samsung a week ago. But I will not return this player in favor of the PS3.
post #745 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdog View Post

Yes..that's the only technical difference (on top of a different paint job on the front bezel), so it's really wether you'd pay that difference for Pandora (which is nice)...the other is the small convenience of pickup/return/DOA possibility at Bestbuy vs through the mail ..if BB is close.

It may also be a matter of how soon you want the thing. I put it in my cart on Amazon. Estimated to ship in 11 to 13 weeks.
post #746 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM

Finally got my 2550 setup. I added an 8gb flash drive and hooked it up to the internet via a wireless bridge which was a technical challenge for me. I watched Iron Man and Sleeping Beauty and both looked fantastic. I watched some of the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD and was pleased with the upconversion. Got both netflix and pandora setup and working. I watched Young Frankenstein off Netflix and it played flawlessly and I was happy with the picture even though I only got 2 out of 4 circles but that is probably due to the wireless connection not being as fast as a wired connection. I will try to watch a couple of more recent movies off Netflix over the next few days. I really like Pandora too. I cannot comment on sound since I have an older reciever and only using the pcm optical out. Overall I am very happy with the Samsung and glad that I got it over the Sony.
post #747 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post

Finally got my 2550 setup. I added an 8gb flash drive and hooked it up to the internet via a wireless bridge which was a technical challenge for me. I watched Iron Man and Sleeping Beauty and both looked fantastic. I watched some of the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD and was pleased with the upconversion. Got both netflix and pandora setup and working. I watched Young Frankenstein off Netflix and it played flawlessly and I was happy with the picture even though I only got 2 out of 4 circles but that is probably due to the wireless connection not being as fast as a wired connection. I will try to watch a couple of more recent movies off Netflix over the next few days. I really like Pandora too. I cannot comment on sound since I have an older reciever and only using the pcm optical out. Overall I am very happy with the Samsung and glad that I got it over the Sony.

Good to know.
My friend bought one but not arrived yet.
I'm looking at one as well for a non-HT application.

Can people comment on how big of a flash drive is necessary/helpful?
I realize they are getting cheaper, but just wondering.

Mike
post #748 of 7068 Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Can people comment on how big of a flash drive is necessary/helpful?
I realize they are getting cheaper, but just wondering.

Mike

I don't think there's an advantage to a flash drive other than an easy way to do firmware upgrades (and that is tiny). The box already has 1Gb built in.

Has anybody seen a need/advantage for using the flash for anything else yet?
post #749 of 7068 Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post

Like you I'm connected wireless to my Samsung and I was getting 1 and 2 dots but we bumped our internet up with WOW to the highest speed available and I'm now getting 4 dots (occasionally 3) so you may want to try that. Quality is outstanding at 3 and 4.
post #750 of 7068 Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomcounty View Post

I just got a PS3 (haven't opened it yet -- $400 from Walmart with free $100 gift card), as I've heard it's the best for many of the things below. Here's what's important to me (at least, as far as my newbie mind can tell)...

1. Bluray picture quality
2. SD dvd picture quality
3. De-interlacing (guess the player would handle this)
4. Upscaling (though I guess my player would handle this too)
5. XviD/DivX .avi playback PQ
6. No burn-in worries (mainly because of watching a lot of 4:3 content)
7. Good for watching regular SD 4:3 sized stuff in center of screen (with bars on the side) -- i.e. *not* stretched to fill the screen.
7a. Accurate display of 4:3 material center screen.

I won't be playing video games.

I won't be watching regular tv (for the most part) and no cable at all.

I own a lot of SD dvds that I won't be replacing with bluray versions (and I want these to look at least as good as they do on my regular old 4:3 Toshiba 27" flatscreen tube tv).

I also watch .avi files of tv shows (some of which may not be in a HD format).

I won't be hooking up my computer to the display.

I'm leaning towards a PS3 as my player (for the regular updates, hard drive aspect for playing .avi files, and excellent rated upscaling of SD dvd as well as excellent bluray playback -- so I've read).

I will most likely get a Panasonic 50PZ800U (though there's a slight chance I'll get the Pioneer PDP-5020FD, but probably out of my price range), so consider those as the display.

Thanks for the help!

I own a Samsung BD-P2500 and a PS3 and while the PS3 is no slouch and one of the "better" BluRay players for the money, i find the playback of of BluRay discs about the same in quality(the 2500 is a bit better with color quality), but that's where any similarity ends.Overall i find the BD-P2500
ALOT more convenient to use (especially now that it features Netflix streaming and it's superior dvd upscaling).

That's simply how it end up working out for me.I do play some games on the PS3 but only own a few since i'm not a huge game player, but have relegated the PS3 to the pc room where i play games on it and the pc,surf the net, etc..The BD-P2500 is the den with my HT setup where it serves me most conveniently.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page