Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deosola View Post

If people want to stack componets on top of each other, they should stick this in-between each component.

The Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler allows you to stack components.

This device was designed to aid in cooling.

this is problably what I need. what powers it? my son has something similar to this for his xbox360 that is powered by USB cable from his xbox to the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teppy View Post

this is problably what I need. what powers it? my son has something similar to this for his xbox360 that is powered by USB cable from his xbox to the unit.

Does this thing work well? Because if I can place it right on top of the Comcast DVR, and then the Samsung 2550 on top of that, it may be worth it. From the picture, it blows from the bottom, into the unit below it? Could this do damage to a unit, having cold air shoot into the holes or no?
post #153 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

From the picture, it blows from the bottom, into the unit below it? Could this do damage to a unit, having cold air shoot into the holes or no?

Actually, from the pictures, the unit sucks hot air from the bottom and shots them out of the rear vent/slots. The top of the surface is firberglass which should act as heat insulation.
post #154 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM

Well they are blowers, or small fans, that shoot cold are into the unit. So the little fans at the bottom will blow cold air into the vents of the DVR ( in my case, which should serve pretty well, simular to people using fans on top of Receivers.) I am currently using an Antec cooler on this laptop, connected via USB and the laptop sits on it. the cooler blows cool air from it's fans and blows the cold air up and hits the bottom of the laptop, and actually does a great job. One thing tho, with the AVR cooler. it runs on batteries, lame. Not worth it. I'll install a shelf.
post #155 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Does this thing work well? Because if I can place it right on top of the Comcast DVR, and then the Samsung 2550 on top of that, it may be worth it. From the picture, it blows from the bottom, into the unit below it? Could this do damage to a unit, having cold air shoot into the holes or no?

It doesn't blow cool air on the unit below it, it takes hot air and blows it out the back.

So instead of having, say the Comcast DVR radiate heat directly to the Samsung 2550 on top of it, the cooler takes that heat and blows it out the back.

As long as all three units (DVR, Cooler, and Blu-Ray) are not in a small enclosed area so that the hot air blown out from the cooler is trapped in the encloser, it should work. Actually, even if all 3 units are in a small box, at least the Blu-Ray won't be directly cooked by the DVR (it may still experience heating from the surronding).
post #156 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Well they are blowers, or small fans, that shoot cold are into the unit. So the little fans at the bottom will blow cold air into the vents of the DVR ( in my case, which should serve pretty well, simular to people using fans on top of Receivers.) I am currently using an Antec cooler on this laptop, connected via USB and the laptop sits on it. the cooler blows cool air from it's fans and blows the cold air up and hits the bottom of the laptop, and actually does a great job. One thing tho, with the AVR cooler. it runs on batteries, lame. Not worth it. I'll install a shelf.

It does not run on batteries. . .that would indeed be very lame. If you look at the top picture of here, you will see that there is a plug that probably goes to an ac adaptor.
post #157 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deosola View Post

It does not run on batteries. . .that would indeed be very lame. If you look at the top picture of here, you will see that there is a plug that probably goes to an ac adaptor.

I literally just hooked one up I got from Amazon Prime about 30 minutes ago. You can hear the high setting with no music or movie on, but not an issue with sound at all from viewing distance. It's very nice cooling my warm running 2808 Denon AVR.

Tony B
post #158 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do you guys think that the BD-P2550 is Samsung's best blu-ray player?
post #159 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Do you guys think that the BD-P2550 is Samsung's best blu-ray player?

It's the best blu-ray player from Samsung, but not the best blu-ray player.
post #160 of 7068 Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbs View Post

I have the 2550 set to output 1080p (with 24f mode on) and audiophile bitstream on.

Greetings crumbs.

So does the 2550 output 24p for film based dvd?

Thanks and best regards.
post #161 of 7068 Old 08-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner888 View Post

Greetings crumbs.

Thanks and best regards.

I think the 24fs is only for bd output only, but I can check when I get home later.

Update: Sorry, no 24fs output for DVDs, only BR.
post #162 of 7068 Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Greetings crumbs.

Thanks and best regards.

Reon only outputs 60p for DVD sources.
post #163 of 7068 Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Hey guys quick question. I should go on the Samsung LN52A750 forum but I think I'll just ask here to see since I'm already on it. When I turn off my tv, I hear a little bit of ticking, it's a really really quiet tick ( the tv makes a click noise right when you turn it on/off, but thats just the tv turning on or off ) but you only can hear it if u put my head behind the tv and listen to the back speakers, I think it's maybe certain units in the tv shutting down? It lasts for about 20 seconds. just a soft...tick..tick..maybe 5 or 6 times, and then silence. I am really picky and notice everything however, lol, so I was wondering if any1 knew perhaps what that is?
post #164 of 7068 Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM

mcdon283,

The noise you hear is probably due to heat build up within the TV cabinet and when the TV set is then turned off, the heat dissipates and the components or cabinet contract causing the "tick, tick" noise.

Mike
post #165 of 7068 Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbs View Post

I think the 24fs is only for bd output only, but I can check when I get home later.

Update: Sorry, no 24fs output for DVDs, only BR.

Thanks crumbs.

Looks like the Toshiba is the only player offering 1080p/24 output for DVD.

Update: According to EWL5, Panasonic BD50 offers same...Thanks.
post #166 of 7068 Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMR View Post

mcdon283,

The noise you hear is probably due to heat build up within the TV cabinet and when the TV set is then turned off, the heat dissipates and the components or cabinet contract causing the "tick, tick" noise.

Mike

Thanks Cobra. I asked on the 750 site and they said the same thing and that all tv's do it, I was just checking. Thanks tho.
post #167 of 7068 Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 PM

Quick question and hopefully a simple answer:

I have a Pioneer VSX-1018 and the Samsung 2550. I have the Samsung set on bitstream audiophile. I pop in Spiperman 3 which has a Dolby TrueHD track.

Movei starts fine with sound. I then skip a chapter and there is no sound. Advance some more chapters and sound works. I went back to a chapter before a chapter with no sound. Watched the chapter untl it went to the next chapter(prev one which had no sound) and now the sound is working fine with Dobly TrueHD.

Any reason this should be occuring? Is it a simple setup issue or perhaps a problem with the player.
post #168 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Sorry to double post, but perhaps this might help some thinking about the 2550. I HONESTLY wanted to keep it, and was quite excited about the Reon chip too, as I have a ton of standard DVD's that I just don't want to (or can afford to) buy yet again in the BD format.
I have the S350 (and still within the 30 days return period), and wondered the same. So I also went and bought the new Samsung 2550 to check it out. Well . . . . . .

watching the same scenes over and over on a rental (NetFlix) of the TV series Roswell, and some parts of the first Lord of the Rings (my own, so super clean!!!) DVDs, I could BARELY tell any difference in the PQ between the two players. This right there, could not justify the $100+ higher price of the Samsung.

But, when watching my brand new Residient Evil Extinction BD, the Samsung had some serious problems! When the typical rating, Interpol, and FBI warnings would show, the first screen up was the blue rating screen. Then that screen would pop up again, but with artifact lines through it from the right side, then the red Interpol screen would show, also with artifacts! When playing this on the Sony S350, after the rating screen there was a blue FBI warning screen, then the red warning screens. Quite weird! The rest of the movie seemed to play ok afterwards on the Samsung.

Now the deal breaker for me, was the info (display) screens. The Sony has a way better one, tells you the resolution (1080P, and if it is 60 or 24 fps), the type of video (MPEG, AVI, etc), what audio it is using (DTHD, DTS HDMA, etc) even the time into the movie (and press the TIME button again, and will show time left). The Samsung had some nice info showing as well, but most of it was useless. Never showed what type of video being used, and for audio it woudl just say ENG 5.1 (or something like that). And unless in the setup you selected to show all messages, even when you paused, there would be no time line. But select yes to messages, when you pause, then play, it had a fairly decent timeline up above, BUT! It would also notify you everytime there was a bonus view avialable, right in the upper left corner of your MOVIE!!!! DUH????

So with the artifacts, and not THAT much difference I could see with the Reon chip in the 2550 over the S350 for standard DVDs, and the poor info display, I could not feel that the Samsung was worth the extra $100+ over the Sony - not to mention around September 28th that the S350 is supposed to drop another $100 in price!!!! And BB WILL match that price (60 day price matching).

AGAIN: this was not to inflame any of you, or trash the new 2550. I bought it because I WAS going to take a chance on it being a keeper. Yes, I didn't play a thousand discs through each player, but even just once having artifacts in the one, and not the other, was not a good omen to me. The 2550 was on the latest firmware too (I checked multiple times, as my S350 took a few tries as well to find a newer version). I paused at the same screens a number of times with the standard DVD movies, and stared at the screen for some time, and at different distances, and could hardly see any different in the sharpness or PQ. Perhpas later on, Samsung might release some FW that may fix this, and might even add a better info screen, and allow the timeline to show and yet still disable the bonus view notice over the movie. But for that extra cost, I just was not willing to risk it at this time.

But there were still a few cool things about the 2550 - one of which was the bong sound when it was ready, and how the screensaver would be automatic (though rather dull and jaggy). And I did not find it noisey at all, nor heated up much.

So I hope this helps some of you, even a little bit. Thanks
post #169 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks crumbs.

DVDs are encoded in 60 frames (even for film material) so outputting 24 for a DVD is not *necessarily* the best thing to do. BDs are encoded at 24 frames and the player can send that along or convert it to 60 (hence the reason for wanting to transmit 24 for BD, since it is the native frame rate).
post #170 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

watching the same scenes over and over on a rental (NetFlix) of the TV series Roswell, and some parts of the first Lord of the Rings (my own, so super clean!!!) DVDs, I could BARELY tell any difference in the PQ between the two players.

What are you watching it on?
post #171 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks crumbs.

The Panasonic BD50 advertises playing DVD's at 24 fps as well. As Milou6 stated, the advantage is dubious compared to BD. Not to mention DVD menus would get screwy too!

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #172 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks crumbs.

Honestly, I've never seen a dvd played back at 24fs, so I don't know how much a difference it would make.

Now that I've had the player for nearly a week, I have some additional observations:

- As WRX mentioned, the info provided by the player is very limited, especially compared to the PS3. It doesn't make a huge difference to me as I get a lot of that info from my television or avr, but I can see how some folks will be disappointed.

- The front panel display is a bit strange to me. The part displaying the time is rather dim, but the buttons are bright. Changing the menu setting does very little to adjust the brightness of the display.

-I continue to be impressed by the 2550's dvd performance. It's handled a number of poorly flagged anime dvd's I have without displaying the weird artifacts I would see with other players. It's been my experience that a lot of bd and dvd players can handle playing back newer film-based dvd's, but struggle with video material or poorly flagged discs. Higher quality de-interlacing and scaling may not be apparent if you don't watch the "right" discs.

(I have the player setup with sharpness and dnr off; I didn't care for the effect they had on the dvd picture quality.)

- I noticed that much of the discussion in this thread has related to heat issues. My 2550 doesn't get hot at all, nor does it blow hot air out through the rear fan. I have decent ventilation, but after watching a 2 hour bd movie, the unit was only warm to the touch.

- I've only had a chance to watch a couple of bd movies: Batman Begins, Dark City, Shinobi, and Dirty Harry. I haven't encountered any issues other than Batman Begins loading slower than the others.

I don't have that many bd movies, but I will continue to check them out for playback issues.
post #173 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it fair to say that the 2550 seems to be the prototype work in progress version of the 2500? It looks like the 2550 and 2500 specs are identical, except the 2500 wil be Profile 2.0 out of the box, and the 2550 will need an update.
post #174 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 458
When I owned the Toshiba XA2 and A30, it had undesirable PQ issues at 1080p/24 for DVD. 1080i worked better.

post #175 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

When I owned the Toshiba XA2 and A30, it had undesirable PQ issues at 1080p/24 for DVD. 1080i worked better.

David, to which unit does "it" refer?

Thanks
post #176 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post

David, to which unit does "it" refer?

Thanks

I should have said "both" units. I was seeing nasty jaggies and some weird artifacts at 1080p/24 and 60hz for that matter on DVD. Now, this was as of last January, so maybe they have issued firmware updates since that time to correct the problem.

post #177 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Is it fair to say that the 2550 seems to be the prototype work in progress version of the 2500? It looks like the 2550 and 2500 specs are identical, except the 2500 wil be Profile 2.0 out of the box, and the 2550 will need an update.

Where did you read this? Last I saw, and everything I've read so far, is that BOTH will require an update to get to Profile 2.0.

From the UM downloaded from Samsung here, it states on page 11:

This Samsung Blu-ray Disc
Player (BD-P2500/BD-P2550) supports only the BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 specification.

Speculation has also suggested that the 2550 part number may be a special for Best Buy, and possibly some limited time of exclusivity.
post #178 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbalo View Post

Where did you read this? Last I saw, and everything I've read so far, is that BOTH will require an update to get to Profile 2.0.

From the UM downloaded from Samsung here, it states on page 11:

This Samsung Blu-ray Disc
Player (BD-P2500/BD-P2550) supports only the BD-ROM Profile 1 version 1.1 specification.

Speculation has also suggested that the 2550 part number may be a special for Best Buy, and possibly some limited time of exclusivity.

The pre-CEDIA Press release from Samsung states the 2500 will be Profile 2.0 out of the box.

Quote:

Samsung Electronics, a market leader and award-winning innovator in consumer electronics, introduces its most advanced Blu-ray player to date with the BD-P2500. Building upon key features and design elements from past Samsung Blu-ray players, the BD-P2500 is compatible out-of-the-box with the latest Blu-ray interactive features available including BD Live™. The BD-P2500 also offers breakthrough enhancements such as Hollywood Quality Video™ (HQV™) processing and 7.1-Channel analog audio outputs creating a powerful HD audio-visual experience.

Quote:

Samsung's BD-P2500 meets all of the current BD Profile requirements right out of the box, allowing consumers to instantly enjoy the latest interactive features available, including BD Live™ (Profile 2.0) and Bonus View (Profile 1.1), creating new ways to experience favorite movies.

The press release is basicly makes the 2550 sound like version .5 of the 2500. And the 2500 is 1.0. Of course with an update, the 2550 becomes a 2500. The sad part is I think Samsung is just using 2550 owners as testers to debug the 2500, and you guys still have to pay full price.
post #179 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I should have said "both" units. I was seeing nasty jaggies and some weird artifacts at 1080p/24 and 60hz for that matter on DVD. Now, this was as of last January, so maybe they have issued firmware updates since that time to correct the problem.

Well, absolutely zero jaggies here with 1080p/60 on a XA2. Never heard that complaint before. Maybe you have a bad player...
post #180 of 7068 Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 PM

^^That just means the 2500 is BD-Live "ready" out of the box. If you do a search for the 2500, every place sites a firmware upgrade to 2.0 profile.

Welcome to the world of BS marketing.

Again, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the 2500 and 2550. Same specs, same manual, same expected prices.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page