post #211 of 7068 Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post

Maybe you should try a DVD with a poor transfer rather than playing the same DVD over and over again. The better the quality of the DVD transfer the less of a difference there should be when upscaled between the 2550 and S350. Just a thought.

LOL. If it is a poor transfer to DVD, there ain't nothing on this earth that could fix that And I doubt that I would have hardly any of those anyway. So if as you say, the high quality DVD transfers would look pretty much the same on any good player, then the cheaper you go, the better. But in this case, though the Sony is cheaper in price, it is not cheaply made, nor of a poorer quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 7068 Old 08-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After using the Samsung bd p2500 for a few days I do think this is a very good machine. I'm hopping there will be region free hack for SD DVD. I see there is one for the 1500.... I wonder if that will work for this machine? Has anyone tried it or am I to be the pioneer?
post #213 of 7068 Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are you 12? Grow up.

Consumers can still "instantly" enjoy the latest features with the player "out of the box" after a firmware update available at some point in the future. It's just a press release, not a truth in advertising statement or anything Samsung can be held liable for like statements in a manual or on the side of the box.

Again, if the availability date is true then the firmware must already exist. Given the similarities between the 2500, 2550 and 1500, we should see the profile 2.0 support updates for the 1500 and 2550 now.

I'll believe it once I see this firmware. Other than that it is just free advertisement from the blogosphere for the new player and fuel for rantings from babies like you.

Babies? You were the one who started crying it wouldn't be 2.0 out of the box. If there are any babies here...well... smell your diaper. It's full of something.

Face facts. The release says that out of the box, you can instantly enjoy Profile 2.0. You can't "instantly" enjoy it if you have to wait for a firmware update to be released.

Further, why would they want to release the firmware now. That would only slow the initial sales of the 2500. People want a 2.0 player. If you make the 1500 and 2550 2.0 now, people would buy them now, and then that would be fewer customers who would be interested in 2500. Waiting give them time to clear out their short stock of the 2550.

No, the 2500 will be out on the market for a week or two, and then the 1500 and 2550 will get their 2.0 firmware updates.
post #214 of 7068 Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbalo View Post

Agreed. This is the beginning of September, the players are built in Asia, and put on the "slow boat" to America...with a minimum of 11 days, but more like 17 days iirc. The firmware would need to be done very soon to make it on the production floor in time for shipping, to make that October release date in the US...unless it's October 45th, 2008...

One, don't count on the first batch to come by boat. I received one of the Panasonic BD50's from their first batch, and they came over on a plane.

Two, you just said 11 days yourself for a boat ride (I really think longer than that, but you said it). The larger factories in China can crank out 400,000 players per month, so easily 50,000 in one week. So let's say this thing streets on Oct 27th. Retail chains will need them in their storage 5 days before release, so that is the 22nd. Samsung will need a week to move them through their facilities, so that is the 15th. Then 11 days by boat (your estimate), that is Oct. 4. Then 1 week to produce 50k units, and that is Sep 27 that the firmware needs to be completed.

So they potentially still have almost an entire month to finalize the firmware, and still street in October. So again, why would the firmware have to be ready now?
post #215 of 7068 Old 08-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Babies? You were the one who started crying it wouldn't be 2.0 out of the box. If there are any babies here...well... smell your diaper. It's full of something.

Face facts. The release says that out of the box, you can instantly enjoy Profile 2.0. You can't "instantly" enjoy it if you have to wait for a firmware update to be released.

Further, why would they want to release the firmware now. That would only slow the initial sales of the 2500. People want a 2.0 player. If you make the 1500 and 2550 2.0 now, people would buy them now, and then that would be fewer customers who would be interested in 2500. Waiting give them time to clear out their short stock of the 2550.

No, the 2500 will be out on the market for a week or two, and then the 1500 and 2550 will get their 2.0 firmware updates.

I know you are mentally a 12 year old, but that is no excuse to exaggerate. I've merely been pointing out that the press release doesn't necessarily mean the 2500 will have the firmware to support profile 2.0 out of the box. That all the press release can mean is the hardware "out of the box" is fully profile 2.0 compliant as in it has 1GB internal flash memory vs 256MB in the 1500 (not sure about the 2550, and maybe that is what is different between them now that I think about it). The 1500 needs additional USB flash memory (not found in the box) to be profile 2.0 compliant and thus is not compliant out of the box.

You are changing your argument now. Before you were stating that the 1500 and 2550 owners were beta testers for the 2500. Now the 2500 owners are going to be profile 2.0 beta testers for the older 1500 and 2550 owners.

As for your marketing logic. All people really care about is cheap BD player and at $500 the 2500 isn't cheap. I don't doubt that there will be lower prices on the 1500 and the 2550 (though this model may not live long at all and seems to be only sold by BB...might be a good choice on closeout). Profile 2.0 won't mean much to most people and the fact that profile 2.0 capability can be checked off regardless of the players we are talking about or when firmware is available is enough to satisfy most of those who do care. Those looking for a good upscale player may consider the 2500 based on price and because it has the reon chip, these people probably would not consider the 1500 at all regardless of price because it lacks a dedicated PQ processing chip. The 1500 will only cannibalize 2500 sales again based on price difference relative to the 2500, not when the profile 2.0 firmware is available. Which according to your changed position is now only two weeks after the 2500 is available.

BTW, it takes more than a month to manufacture, ship and distribute players, probably more like 6-8 weeks. Again given your statements that the 1500 and 2550 owners are beta testers for the 2500, then we should see the profile 2.0 firmware now.

I don't think we'll see profile 2.0 support in firmware for a while, maybe not even this year. Maybe I'm wrong with the 2500, but I'll believe it when we get some pics of the box or pdf's of the manual, not from a press release and rantings from you.

As been said in another thread. You're a wonderful person. So pleasant conversing with you.
post #216 of 7068 Old 08-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

LOL. If it is a poor transfer to DVD, there ain't nothing on this earth that could fix that And I doubt that I would have hardly any of those anyway. So if as you say, the high quality DVD transfers would look pretty much the same on any good player, then the cheaper you go, the better. But in this case, though the Sony is cheaper in price, it is not cheaply made, nor of a poorer quality.

Well, the menu options are 3 levels of sharpness and dvd noise reduction. I don't think a setting of high dvd noise reduction is for a DVD with an already good image, but I guess thats just me.

So go ahead and LOL, though you seem to have worked in yet another plug for Sony for some reason...
post #217 of 7068 Old 08-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post

After using the Samsung bd p2500 for a few days I do think this is a very good machine. I'm hopping there will be region free hack for SD DVD. I see there is one for the 1500.... I wonder if that will work for this machine? Has anyone tried it or am I to be the pioneer?

What is the hack for the 1500? Please PM. If it's the one on videohelp.com, I've tried it and others have posted that it doesn't work. The try 20 times thing is a clue that it doesn't really work and someone just wanted to waste people's time.
post #218 of 7068 Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is the hack for the 1500? Please PM. If it's the one on videohelp.com, I've tried it and others have posted that it doesn't work. The try 20 times thing is a clue that it doesn't really work and someone just wanted to waste people's time.

Yeah it was that hack and I didn't bother trying it.
post #219 of 7068 Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:

One, don't count on the first batch to come by boat. I received one of the Panasonic BD50's from their first batch, and they came over on a plane.

You know this, how?

HD DVD: 64
Blu ray : 173
SD DVD: 621
post #220 of 7068 Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Two, you just said 11 days yourself for a boat ride (I really think longer than that, but you said it). The larger factories in China can crank out 400,000 players per month, so easily 50,000 in one week. So let's say this thing streets on Oct 27th. Retail chains will need them in their storage 5 days before release, so that is the 22nd. Samsung will need a week to move them through their facilities, so that is the 15th. Then 11 days by boat (your estimate), that is Oct. 4. Then 1 week to produce 50k units, and that is Sep 27 that the firmware needs to be completed.

So they potentially still have almost an entire month to finalize the firmware, and still street in October. So again, why would the firmware have to be ready now?

All of your timing is very optimistic...add my more realistic 17 days on the water, the fact that they won't be making 400K rate per month, (otherwise they only need to run the factory for a month, How many do you think they'll sell this year?), Retail wants them more that 5 days before release, and Samsung will need more than a week to get everything to where it needs to be...

I'm sticking with my date of "should be ready now"...

HD DVD: 64
Blu ray : 173
SD DVD: 621
post #221 of 7068 Old 09-01-2008, 05:12 PM

sooooo how bout back to the player?

Works great, only thing I don't like is it's a bit noisy. Can't hear with volume up, but go close to the player. and every 2-4 seconds you can hear the little noise that implies it's playing, simular to the noise when it loads up, but not as loud.
post #222 of 7068 Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
After wading throught his thread and having owned both formats(PS3,A2,A3 and XA2) you mean to tell me that BD players still have issues?? Even the expensives ones??

No wonder I lost interest in HD as an optical disc format. At this point why anyone, and I mean anyone would buy anything BUT the PS3 for a BD player is beyond me. Please dont tell me its because you want to see DTS-MA or TRU-HD light up on your reciever....lol

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #223 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 AM

It's because I love my Harmony1000.
that simple.

Home is where my theatre is.
post #224 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 View Post

sooooo how bout back to the player?

Works great, only thing I don't like is it's a bit noisy. Can't hear with volume up, but go close to the player. and every 2-4 seconds you can hear the little noise that implies it's playing, simular to the noise when it loads up, but not as loud.

That I recall I'm not getting any sound from my machine. As a matter of fact I have not owned a DVD machine this quiet for quite some time. So far I think this is an excellent machine. Not 1 issue so far.
post #225 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

After wading throught his thread and having owned both formats(PS3,A2,A3 and XA2) you mean to tell me that BD players still have issues?? Even the expensives ones??

No wonder I lost interest in HD as an optical disc format. At this point why anyone, and I mean anyone would buy anything BUT the PS3 for a BD player is beyond me. Please dont tell me its because you want to see DTS-MA or TRU-HD light up on your reciever....lol

Okay, I won't.

Tony B
post #226 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leef DaLucky View Post

It's because I love my Harmony1000.
that simple.

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I also have a Phillips Pronto that cost me $1000 some years back, but it is sooooooooo hard to program (and I am, errrr was until outsourced!!!!!! a computer tech), that even as cool as it was, I love the Harmony much better! Within maybe 15 minutes or so from scratch, I had my system ready! But the Pronto is still so cool, maybe someday I'll pay another $$ to have someone program it???

But yes, the PS3 is ok, but just think if someone ELSE had also bought a Pronto, you think they want to buy another (BT) controller when they have their entire THEATER setup (lights, curtains, etc) to run by the Pronto (or MC3000 etc)???? To all work when pressing just one button? Of course, if they had that much money, they'd also already own the $$$$$ Denon BD player.

And yes, I will stand up and SHOUT that I want bitstream. Why else did I buy my Onkyo 805?

Anyway, FWIW, I am now going to try the LG BH200, as I also have HD DVD movies as well as BD, and a ton of DVD. There were some "coolness" gizmos on the 2550, but not the ones I wanted, sadly. And IF the BH200 works as good as I read it does, then I can replace having both a BD and an HD (A35) player (and not need a separate DVD upscalling player) on the glass shelf of my rack! AND, have the Harmony contol it all

Now hmmmmmmmmmm, anyone need an old Marantz LD player???? hehehe
post #227 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

And yes, I will stand up and SHOUT that I want bitstream. Why else did I buy my Onkyo 805?

Anyway, FWIW, I am now going to try the LG BH200, as I also have HD DVD movies as well as BD, and a ton of DVD. There were some "coolness" gizmos on the 2550, but not the ones I wanted, sadly. And IF the BH200 works as good as I read it does, then I can replace having both a BD and an HD (A35) player (and not need a separate DVD upscalling player) on the glass shelf of my rack! AND, have the Harmony contol it all

Since you like bitstream and don't have a Denon AVR, you need to know that BH200 reportly has trouble bitstream DD+ from HD DVD to non-Denon AVRs. See here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1031635
post #228 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Steve, we have the same players so what I hear you should hear also lol. Anyway, it's very very quiet for the most part, but I also only sitting about 8 feet from the player, I really can't hear it, only on low scenes, and you actually have to listen for it. I have not had any issues either with it, very content. Loads quick, and bitstreams all high def codecs. Don't really care about BD-Live, since my modem is way in the other room. Great player from Samsung.
post #229 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Since you like bitstream and don't have a Denon AVR, you need to know that BH200 reportly has trouble bitstream DD+ from HD DVD to non-Denon AVRs. See here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1031635

If you read my post on page 3, I explained that it also happens with the Toshiba A35 I have for HD DVD. It is NOT the fault of the BH200, it is most likely a problem with the way the DD is done on the HD discs. Might be a "flagging" issue similar to some of the problems folks have had with New Line BD's and THD.
post #230 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

If you read my post on page 3, I explained that it also happens with the Toshiba A35 I have for HD DVD. It is NOT the fault of the BH200, it is most likely a problem with the way the DD is done on the HD discs. Might be a "flagging" issue similar to some of the problems folks have had with New Line BD's and THD.

Well, if you read my post on page 2, I never experience such problem on Samsung BD-UP5k. So it still is a problem for BH200. Or at least Samsung knows how to properly support bitstream.
post #231 of 7068 Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Well, if you read my post on page 2, I never experience such problem on Samsung BD-UP5k. So it still is a problem for BH200. Or at least Samsung knows how to properly support bitstream.

Ok, I will concede that *you* never did, but an *I* is not = to a we, or an us, or everyone There are a lot of HD only players that have had this problem, but there are some who never had it as well. But I do not belive it is a BH200 only problem.
post #232 of 7068 Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 PM

Has any1 encountered problems bitstreaming any blu ray movies? I am close to pairing this up with the Pioneer Elite 01, and want to make sure this player is good at bitstreaming.

P.S. When you want your player to bitsteam, whats the option you choose again?
post #233 of 7068 Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Has any1 encountered problems bitstreaming any blu ray movies? I am close to pairing this up with the Pioneer Elite 01, and want to make sure this player is good at bitstreaming.

P.S. When you want your player to bitsteam, whats the option you choose again?

Bitstream (Audiophile) is the setting you're looking for.

I haven't had any issues bitstreaming the new formats to my Yamaha 1800.
post #234 of 7068 Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbs View Post

Bitstream (Audiophile) is the setting you're looking for.

I haven't had any issues bitstreaming the new formats to my Yamaha 1800.

Nor did I when I had one, to my Onkyo 805. Bitstream was one of the major reasons I tried it out.
post #235 of 7068 Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM

So I've been eagerly anticipating the 2500 release and was a bit surprised to see the 2550 release last month. It certainly appears that there really isn't any difference between the two (same manual, same specs etc). Is there something that I'm just missing here or is there any reason to wait another month to pickup the 2500?

--Steve
post #236 of 7068 Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sszudzik View Post

So I've been eagerly anticipating the 2500 release and was a bit surprised to see the 2550 release last month. It certainly appears that there really isn't any difference between the two (same manual, same specs etc). Is there something that I'm just missing here or is there any reason to wait another month to pickup the 2500?

--Steve

My understanding is that they are the same machines!
post #237 of 7068 Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post

My understanding is that they are the same machines!

That's pretty much what I've been seeing and thinking, but there's just that little nag in the back of my head that keeps me from pulling the trigger! I've done a full trade out on just about all of my equipment the past few months and this is the BluRay that I've been waiting for (mostly for the Reon). Once this is done, I can sit back and relax for a few more years

--Steve
post #238 of 7068 Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 PM

By the way, load times are VERY VERY good on this player. Pirates of the Caribean ( Java loaded ) took only about 1 min from the time I put the disc in and hit close to the time it started playing previews. Not bad, I use to have the first blu ray ever, the samsung bd-p1000, lol, that player was awful, didn't play half the discs and it took about a minute and 20 seconds to load up when you turned it on, most of the time, it took a good full 1 minute to open the disc tray. not to mention, it didn't output 24fps and wasn't HDMI 1.3.
post #239 of 7068 Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Steve, we have the same players so what I hear you should hear also lol. Anyway, it's very very quiet for the most part, but I also only sitting about 8 feet from the player, I really can't hear it, only on low scenes, and you actually have to listen for it. I have not had any issues either with it, very content. Loads quick, and bitstreams all high def codecs. Don't really care about BD-Live, since my modem is way in the other room. Great player from Samsung.

Perhaps the sound is there but just super quiet. I really like the fact that this machine sounds and acts (and I mean the mechanics not the audio performance) more like a good SD player instead of a Blu-Ray machine.
post #240 of 7068 Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:

By the way, load times are VERY VERY good on this player. Pirates of the Caribean ( Java loaded ) took only about 1 min from the time I put the disc in and hit close to the time it started playing previews. Not bad, I use to have the first blu ray ever, the samsung bd-p1000, lol, that player was awful, didn't play half the discs and it took about a minute and 20 seconds to load up when you turned it on, most of the time, it took a good full 1 minute to open the disc tray. not to mention, it didn't output 24fps and wasn't HDMI 1.3.

Thanks for putting it in perspective. I just wanted to add that the Sony BDP-S1 was slower! Woefully slow both in startup times and functionality like fast-forward.

What I like about this player is that you can open the tray within a few seconds. It still needed to load the OS before it will close, but it was a huge improvement from first generation players!
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page