Sony Next Generation Blu-ray Mega Changer Anticipation Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #631 of 650 Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I am very excited; I recently send a message to the guys over at Cinemar http://www.cinemarsolutions.com/ regarding RS-232 control of this changer. They have had a software plug-in for the 777ES for a number of years and I was hoping for similar control of the 7000ES. They informed me via PM that they will be supporting the 7000ES in a similar fashion to the 777ES. This means the following for MainLobby / DVDLobby users:

- You will have serial control of up to eight 7000ES changers. Since this will be a new plug-in, I suspect that you could actually have 16 changers (if you had that many discs) in your set-up (8 777ES and 8 7000ES units)

- The ability to edit your cover art and disc data will still be available in DVDLobby, I use this for my home movies of my children and family events

- Automatic look up of disc material via the MLDMR plug-in using AMG data

Needless to say, I am very excited about having complete control of this unit on my touchscreens via RS-232. Now, I just need to convince my wife that we need this piece of equipment in my rack.

For those that have these units in-hand already, please continue to share your feedback regarding this changer.

-T.Wells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 650 Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Seems from reading the manual that if I want to use the component outs (to drive a second zone/family room) as well as the HDMI for the primary theater, I cannot set the 7000 to 1080p/24 -

Since AVR pre/pros won't convert an incoming HDMI signal via component, that solution won't work for a second zone...trying to figure out if there's a way to maintain 1080p/24 for the main theater while still getting a second zone working, without having to go in and switch the 7000 settings back and forth (which I will inevitably forget and thus render the second zone devoid of video)

Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks
post #633 of 650 Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Received some clarity from Escient regarding the 7000es support/functionality, posted here in the Escient Vision thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=182
post #634 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post

Have any of you compared the picture quality of the 7000es to the denon 3800 or any of the other top blueray single reference players? Is it better then the PS3?

So far, I cannot tell a difference between the 7000es and 5000es, either in audio or video reproduction. Subjectively,it seems the 7000es is faster loading data off the disc than the 5000 (excluding the mechanical disc loading time, which is surpassingly fast)

Unlike the 5000, the 7000 does not come with a memory stick for BD-Live content, so figure on spending another $20 bucks for that.

While the on board interface is serviceable, Sony could have done tons better with the amount of on-screen real estate they have - the tiny cover art icons, no descriptions, single actor limitation, and no links to online resources/reviews for titles are all disappointing for the cost. I will be purchasing a VC-1 VS-100 to add as a front end, and as a SD DVD server.
post #635 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have been using the PS3 for my blueray player and I have been very pleased with the picture quality. Is the picture even better on the 7000?
post #636 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
From some of the earlier threads it sounded like you could download free coverart from Gracenote with the 7000es (may not be on par with Escient) is this not the case? Thanks for all your comments. Greg
post #637 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post

From some of the earlier threads it sounded like you could download free coverart from Gracenote with the 7000es (may not be on par with Escient) is this not the case? Thanks for all your comments. Greg

Yes, but very small thumbnails - the overall interface is serviceable but very rudimentary - my VS-100 should be in hand next week, then to patiently await the firmware update for the BDP support....
post #638 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Yes the 7000ES can download cover art from Gracenote, but is very limited. More than half of my DVDs have titles but no cover art. I suspect there is something in the implementation on the 7000Es that is responsable for this, because I had a much higher success rate for the same DVDs when I used the Vision VS-100 with the 777ES changer.

There is no way to manually add your own cover art, so you get what it gives you. I'm expecting that the Vision will at least provide the same support for the 7000ES that it did for the 777ES. If so, I will be very pleased.
post #639 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you want really good coverart use DVD Profiler. To enter a disc all you need to do is type in the UPC number for the disc. The Profiler does all the rest. It is not free but not expensive either. It pulls all the information and people can update their master listings or the on line master to get better descriptions, etc. I print out my collection in a nice three up format, full color, cover art etc, and just leave it around as a "Coffee table book". I export the data file in xml format and use it to drive my librarian which controls the players.
post #640 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Yes, but very small thumbnails - the overall interface is serviceable but very rudimentary - my VS-100 should be in hand next week, then to patiently await the firmware update for the BDP support....

I'm getting the VS-100 as well, as I have already purchased a second changer (though I've still got over 100 slots to go before filling the first).

Someone mentioned that there was something on the Escient website confirming that the upgrade to the VS-100 would be free. Can anyone point out where on the website that appears?

Thanks,

Nick
post #641 of 650 Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

I'm getting the VS-100 as well, as I have already purchased a second changer (though I've still got over 100 slots to go before filling the first).

Someone mentioned that there was something on the Escient website confirming that the upgrade to the VS-100 would be free. Can anyone point out where on the website that appears?

Thanks,

Nick

I spoke with them, and was twice told verbally by two different people and in two different emails that the firmware update will be free of charge.
post #642 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

Thanks,

Nick

Nick, you are a wildman. You ordered a second 7000 and a VS-100 and you're worried about the cost of a firmware upgrade?

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #643 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 AM

The warranty on the Escient web site states, "•Software maintenance updates provided via a broadband or dial-up Internet connections." Unlike the other warranty points, there is no mention of a time period. One could assume this means 12 months or forever, not clear.
post #644 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

At $4k retail for one terabyte of storage and changer control, they'd BETTER offer firmware updates free forever - beyond that, the functionality is largely matched or exceeded by the an iTunes/Apple TV/Airport Express/iPhone-iTouch eco system.

I still ask myself why I ordered one...but, that's why most of us are in this forum...a sickness...I.....can't explain......new boxes.....styrofoam....triple AAA batteries tightly wrapped in cellophane.....I can't explain.....
post #645 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post

Nick, you are a wildman. You ordered a second 7000 and a VS-100 and you're worried about the cost of a firmware upgrade?

My only concern is that Escient doesn't play fast and loose and tell me that units can't be upgraded, but you have to get a new one. Highly doubtful, but I'd like something in writing to cling to.

Thanks,

Nick
post #646 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Liked: 11
They have put this is writing on their website. Here is a quote from the Vision FAQ:

Will it support Sony’s new BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer?
a.Not yet – but a Vision software update is planned for Q4 2009 to provide support for the new Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc changer. Changer based discs will only be available in the local zone, on the Vision VS or VC that has the changers physically connected and will only be output/switched via Vision’s HDMI output. Blu-ray content will not be available over the network to a remote client (i.e. VC-1).
b.Each changer will require an HDMI and an RS-232 (via USB-Serial adapter) connection to Vision. If you are using a single changer then this requires a Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter. If you are using more than one changer (up to 4) or require additional serial ports (i.e. external control) then this requires a Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter:
Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter
Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter

I do not have 3 posts yet so I could not post the link, but if you go to escient.com to their Vsion FAQ you can read this.

I am delaying my purchase of the Megachanger until this is complete just to make sure all the bugs are worked out due to my lack of experience in these matters. Otherwise I plan to go with the same setup; Megachanger, VS-200, and likely the VX-600 to cover all the bases. I am very pleased with my Escient Fireball and 2 CX777s as they have worked without error. The Escient Vision would appear to address all the gui issues stated on the forum so far.
post #647 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Winter View Post

They have put this is writing on their website. Here is a quote from the Vision FAQ:

Will it support Sony's new BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer?
a.Not yet - but a Vision software update is planned for Q4 2009 to provide support for the new Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc changer. Changer based discs will only be available in the local zone, on the Vision VS or VC that has the changers physically connected and will only be output/switched via Vision's HDMI output. Blu-ray content will not be available over the network to a remote client (i.e. VC-1).
b.Each changer will require an HDMI and an RS-232 (via USB-Serial adapter) connection to Vision. If you are using a single changer then this requires a Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter. If you are using more than one changer (up to 4) or require additional serial ports (i.e. external control) then this requires a Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter:
Keyspan USA-19HS single-port USB-Serial adapter
Keyspan USA-49WG 4-port USB-Serial adapter

I do not have 3 posts yet so I could not post the link, but if you go to escient.com to their Vsion FAQ you can read this.

I am delaying my purchase of the Megachanger until this is complete just to make sure all the bugs are worked out due to my lack of experience in these matters. Otherwise I plan to go with the same setup; Megachanger, VS-200, and likely the VX-600 to cover all the bases. I am very pleased with my Escient Fireball and 2 CX777s as they have worked without error. The Escient Vision would appear to address all the gui issues stated on the forum so far.

These were the almost exactly the answers I got in response to my questions, right down the to the Keyspan parts - I suggested they add it to the FAQ... That was quick!
post #648 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Liked: 11
You should also share your mantra with Escient and Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I still ask myself why I ordered one...but, that's why most of us are in this forum...a sickness...I.....can't explain......new boxes.....styrofoam....triple AAA batteries tightly wrapped in cellophane.....I can't explain.....

I see a TV and website advertisement: Black, light illuminates the scene and shines on new boxes, drum sound, black, then light illuminates a new scene, shines, styrofoam, drum sound, black,......ending with the AAA batteries being inserted slowly into the remote....

Yeah, they could sell alot of units.
post #649 of 650 Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for pointing me to the place on Escient's website. I'll take care of the link. http://www.escient.com/support/visionfaq.html

Thanks,

Nick
post #650 of 650 Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
new thread link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17008118

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page