Best audio setup when using DVI to projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am pulling the trigger on a Blu-ray player soon but have a few questions on how best to set it up with existing HT equipment or perhaps just confirm that my current plan is optimal. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Current setup: I have an Infocus 7205 projector which has an HDCP compliant DVI input and I have installed both a single DVI and a single component video cable run to the projector. I have a Denon receiver that does not have HDMI inputs but it puts out great sound and I'm not quite ready to replace it. I only have two content sources, a soon to be replaced DVD player and a Comcast DVR. I currently run component video from my existing standard DVD player directly to the projector and run DVI from the Comcast DVR directly to the projector. I can carry sound from both on either coax or optical cables to the receiver.

Future setup: First, since I don't have two DVI cable runs to the projector and don't want to buy a new receiver just yet, I am assuming that the best option for VIDEO is to simply switch existing cables between the cable box and new blu-ray player. That is, run the converted HDMI/DVI from the new blu-ray player directly to the projector to get HD video (limited to 720P by the projector) and so that upconverted standard DVDs don't get limited by the analog cables, and then use the component video cables to connect the Comcast DVR directly to the projector (I'm assuming that component video cables would take full advantage of the 1080i/720p source from Comcast and the 720p capacity of the projector anyway). Both connections bypass the receiver and should max out the video capability of their sources and my projector. Is this correct?

I'm stuck on the AUDIO side. Having transmitted the video via HDMI/DVI, can I just run my existing optical or coax audio cables from the new blu-ray player to the receiver to handle the sound? If I do this, will the sound quality be limited? If so, is there a better option? Can a blu-ray player send audio via optical while the HDMI Out is being used for video only?

I've read many posts on this but am still a bit confused by the audio options, and whether I need to buy a more expensive blu-ray player that has internal audio decoding. Can anyone explain this and the required set up?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
From what you are describing, you will be maximizing your set-up to it's limits. If you do get a blu-ray that is capable of decoding DolbyTrueHD and/or DTS HD-MA through analog outputs then you would just connect those to your receiver through it's 5.1/7.1 analog inputs. Your video connections would be as you described.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarcher View Post

I'm stuck on the AUDIO side. Having transmitted the video via HDMI/DVI, can I just run my existing optical or coax audio cables from the new blu-ray player to the receiver to handle the sound? If I do this, will the sound quality be limited? If so, is there a better option? Can a blu-ray player send audio via optical while the HDMI Out is being used for video only?

I've read many posts on this but am still a bit confused by the audio options, and whether I need to buy a more expensive blu-ray player that has internal audio decoding. Can anyone explain this and the required set up?

Any BD player can be connected with optical to your receiver (while sending HDMI video), yielding legacy or "core" DD/DTS multichannel, which will sound as good or better than what you hear from DVD now.

To get the advanced lossless codecs in multichannel with your receiver, you will need to choose a player that can internally decode the advanced codecs and also has multichannel analog audio outputs.

You will have to decide whether the possible cost penalty of such a player, and its potential shortfalls in audio processing, are worth the trade-off to keep your current receiver. There are several threads discussing this topic.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4 of 8 Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

You have the same issues as my current setup. My Infocus IN78 has a DVI input however, my outlaw 990 has no HDMI options, only DVI. I personally run a Radiient HDMI switcher, which I highly recommend and which would work in your current setup so you only have one HDMI run to your PJ, and use the bypass 7.1 analogs on my Outlaw for my Pioneer bd51 player. My Toshida A30 runs an optical connection. The Pioneer has 7.1 analogs, unlike the Panny BD30 which only has 5.1 analogs. So to answer your question, you can run HDMI/DVI to the PJ and still run an optical to your AVR. But, I would use a 7.1 analog connection if possible and just find a bd player that internally decodes all the new codecs.

Understanding the unexplainable"
post #5 of 8 Old 09-03-2008, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot.

My DVI and component video are already in place and not going anywhere (installed in a finished ceiling), so it's no big deal to have two runs to the Infocus projector. I've thought about a switcher but until I have a third video source and need the capacity, the only benefit I see is if running 1080i/720p video via DVI would give me a noticably better video image than using component video cables at that resolution. I've swapped out the cables and wasn't able to tell much of difference so I'm thinking that the advantage of DVI might be more theoretical than practical, but it could just be my tired eyes! I also didn't have a great video source to really test it out... just ordinary network tv shows on Comcast. Any opinions on that?

wiskey alpha, I noticed that there is already a pretty healthy debate on the forum about the relative merits of using the 5.1/7.1 analog outputs from BD player vs. using the receiver's processor - a tradeoff that rdclark points out - and also many opinions about the incremental quality of lossless vs. the level of DD/DTS found on blu-ray disks. I don't want to start another debate on the topic, but since you are running both at the same time right now do you personally notice a significant improvement in sound quality using the advanced codecs from your BD51 compared to the optical setup you have on the A30?
post #6 of 8 Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarcher View Post

wiskey alpha, I noticed that there is already a pretty healthy debate on the forum about the relative merits of using the 5.1/7.1 analog outputs from BD player vs. using the receiver's processor - a tradeoff that rdclark points out - and also many opinions about the incremental quality of lossless vs. the level of DD/DTS found on blu-ray disks. I don't want to start another debate on the topic, but since you are running both at the same time right now do you personally notice a significant improvement in sound quality using the advanced codecs from your BD51 compared to the optical setup you have on the A30?

I do, I especially notice the difference when switching between the internal decoder on the bd and the one in my Outlaw. While I have the analogs hooked up, I also have a coax hooked up as well, so I can switch between them. I run the coax due to sometimes I'll use the DPLII matrix for the rear channels on some discs. I prefer to run in lossless due to the better sound quality. But then again, that is just my opinion.

Understanding the unexplainable"
post #7 of 8 Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not completely dissimilar... I have my HDMI straight from BR to projector and then using 7.1 analog connections from my BR to my Krell HTS7.1 (no HDMI inputs, but amazing analog stage). At first I used a Oppo BDP-83, which produces very good sound and excellent picture quality, but recently I upgraded to the BDP-95 and the sound quality is now startling.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page