Are there any Blu-Ray changers (5-disc or Mega)? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 116 Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally I miss Sony's line of DVD Jukeboxes and have noticed that their Blu-Ray 400 Disk Changers are fetching a huge premium on eBay.

As with 3D it's a choice that many users would like to see in the marketplace, I don't see it as "disc changers are archaic and should not be allow to be reintroduced into the market. It is a step backwards in technology, not forward." by any means. For those of us with huge collections of movies, what better way of organizing ones collection?

But I digress. The topic is about smaller changers.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs91 View Post

I don't understand why this is even needed. Is it really that hard to get up off your ass after the first movie finishes in order to change the disc? I figure that a lot of AVSers have HTPCs or media servers for music, where a carousel is more useful.

I currently have over 350 DVD's. I have the entire 9 seasons of Seinfeld, the entire 6 seasons of The Sopranos, multiple exercise videos, not to mention hundreds of films. I won't buy a blu-ray player until they offer a five or six disk DVD carousel. In my current 5-disk Panasonic DVD player I have one Seinfeld disc, one Soprano disk, one exercise disk, and one movie, leaving only one open slot. And, no, I don't want a large 400-disk changer.
post #93 of 116 Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You will be waiting for that changer forever. There have been no new 5-disc changers of any sort on the market for several years and the prospects of a Blu-Ray one are zilch.

post #94 of 116 Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdancer88 View Post

I currently have over 350 DVD's. I have the entire 9 seasons of Seinfeld, the entire 6 seasons of The Sopranos, multiple exercise videos, not to mention hundreds of films. I won't buy a blu-ray player until they offer a five or six disk DVD carousel. In my current 5-disk Panasonic DVD player I have one Seinfeld disc, one Soprano disk, one exercise disk, and one movie, leaving only one open slot. And, no, I don't want a large 400-disk changer.

Only 350 DVD's? I have 1300 DVD's on my home server and soon another 2000 CD's on the home server. and 810 Blu-rays on the 3 Sony 7000ES changers. All controlled through an Ipad. I had a Pioneer 5 disc changer, but that was about 2002 or so. You need to upgrade and get with the times!
post #95 of 116 Old 06-08-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just don't understand why this hasn't been made yet. I mean, I know people will buy them so what's the hang up.

ColombianLove41
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #96 of 116 Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

I gave up ounting after 4500...
my current guestimate would be in 5500 or so..

until they lift the region locking on bd, it will be a while before you will see an active universal region option for bd players..

this is likely why you don't see them available...

the only thing I could suggest, contact onkyo or yamaha to see iff they have a bd mod for their respective 6-disc dvd players..

my last 5-disc dvd player from sony doesn't support hdmi so I can't see sony having mod option for their older generation multi disc dvd players..

my opinion 400 disc units shoould be no more than $500-750 just because bd is supported they jack up the prices..

myself I need atleast 20 of them within the 400 dsc
post #97 of 116 Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

I gave up ounting after 4500...
my current guestimate would be in 5500 or so..
until they lift the region locking on bd, it will be a while before you will see an active universal region option for bd players..
this is likely why you don't see them available...
the only thing I could suggest, contact onkyo or yamaha to see iff they have a bd mod for their respective 6-disc dvd players..
my last 5-disc dvd player from sony doesn't support hdmi so I can't see sony having mod option for their older generation multi disc dvd players..
my opinion 400 disc units shoould be no more than $500-750 just because bd is supported they jack up the prices..
myself I need atleast 20 of them within the 400 dsc

Won't be any bluray megachangers again. Sony stated that in the other thread. Sony and the rest of the Japanese companies are developing for UHDTV.
4k now and you see 8K in the future. Anyway here is a few links.

Here is the actual event in Japan a few weeks ago.

If you download the pdf at the bottom of the page, it shows what is coming.
http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/open2012/html/tenji/index_e.html

This is someone's blog, that attended the event. There is another blog, but the next gen player is supposed to be in 3 years on one format.

http://blogd.com/wp/index.php/archives/9496
post #98 of 116 Old 08-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Holy crap! That concert video looks like it was live there in the *%$!!^ing room! Looks more live than the guy standing in front of it. 7680 x 4320 for the win!

hjackson
post #99 of 116 Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm in the process of renovating our living room, and subsequently updating our A/V equipment. I was hoping to purchase a ~500 disc blu-ray changer and hook it up to have an output to all the tvs in my house, but I've since noticed that Sony has discontinued both of their models. I'm curious why they have done so and why other companies aren't interested in putting out a blu-ray disc changer? To me, I would like to have access to all of our movies without having to eject a disc and put another one in. My only thought would be that it is because so many companies are coming out with the ability to rip the blu-ray disc and run them off a media server, but with all of the pending legal battles, I'm not sure that's an investment I feel comfortable making. What do you guys think my best option would be? Just buy a high-end single disc blu-ray player (like an OPPO) or try and find one of the discontinued SONYs?
post #100 of 116 Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
wildstar, I wouldn't hold my breath. You can find Sony changers still, but be prepared for sticker shock. But you can rip your discs and play them back through a variety of devices, without investing a lot of money. Anything that will play blu-ray ISOs or ripped BR folder structures (check the Dune players, for instance), plus some external USB hard drives ($100 for 3tb will hold a lot of movies), and you're in business.

It still blows my mind that I can't buy a simple 5-disc BR changer.
post #101 of 116 Old 12-22-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm definitely waiting for a 3D capable mega-changer. I have moved all my equipment to the basement and when the whole family sits down to decide on what movie to watch it's a bit frustrating to have to get up and go into a completely different room to put the disc in. Like some others, I also enjoy a lot of music blu-rays, but don't always watch the whole recording - just one track or two and then on to the next one. Very much a pain to keep getting up. I've seen some people say they can do this via their computers, but haven't yet found a legal method of copying blu-rays. If anyone knows how to do this completely legally, I'd love to know.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #102 of 116 Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

SimpleTheater, there are lots of ways to rip your own legally-owned BR discs to your own hard drive for "backup" purposes. It's sort of a gray area legally, since you do own the disc. There is no issue, as long as you're not sharing your rips with anyone or distributing it outside your home in any way, and it's strictly for your personal use. Look into Slysoft's AnyDVD HD (expensive, but the best) or DVDFab (free version is all you'll likely need, but occasionally you'll need to wait a few days or couple weeks for an update when new anti-copy methods come out).

Ripping the BR to your hard drive is just step one, though, next you have to figure out a front end to deal with that ripped content. A Dune Player might be a good option for you.
post #103 of 116 Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

SimpleTheater, there are lots of ways to rip your own legally-owned BR discs to your own hard drive for "backup" purposes. It's sort of a gray area legally, since you do own the disc. There is no issue, as long as you're not sharing your rips with anyone or distributing it outside your home in any way, and it's strictly for your personal use.

Legally you can't do it anymore. It is posted here on the forums, but the courts are now saying the movies you own are only licensed copies, and you can't back them up. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436730/new-ruling-confirms-copying-dvds-is-illegal Says DVD's but it will apply for all types of media. You can read the thread, and see what people are doing.
post #104 of 116 Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro67 View Post

Legally you can't do it anymore. It is posted here on the forums, but the courts are now saying the movies you own are only licensed copies, and you can't back them up. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436730/new-ruling-confirms-copying-dvds-is-illegal Says DVD's but it will apply for all types of media. You can read the thread, and see what people are doing.

I think you will find the legal issue in the USA is related to the DMCA which outlaws activities which enable tools and/or bypasses digital copy prevention of copyrighted works. I expect the movie industry would be on thin ice in court claiming their "sold" DVDs and BDs are strictly licensed copies when they advertise "own it on DVD or Blu-Ray" and "own it on Tuesday" ad nauseum. Making movies and music available for general download and downloading seems to be the legal/lawsuit focus of the entertainment industry these days.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #105 of 116 Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I think you will find the legal issue in the USA is related to the DMCA which outlaws activities which enable tools and/or bypasses digital copy prevention of copyrighted works. I expect the movie industry would be on thin ice in court claiming their "sold" DVDs and BDs are strictly licensed copies when they advertise "own it on DVD or Blu-Ray" and "own it on Tuesday" ad nauseum. Making movies and music available for general download and downloading seems to be the legal/lawsuit focus of the entertainment industry these days.

You need to get better legal advice, because that won't stand up in court. I have friends that get copyrights, so I might know a little more than you. You are legally not allowed to back up your licensed copy. This law applies to all media. It hasn't changed since the 1980's on my computer games that I bought from the store. I was shocked to find out that I couldn't sell them. VHS tapes was the same way, people tried to copy them, SACD, DVD, 3D models, CD, BD, etc. All you own is license to play that media that you bought. So you think that you have permission to copy it? Sell it? See as soon as the copy right holder finds out they file a DMCA on you.
post #106 of 116 Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to get better legal advice, because that won't stand up in court. I have friends that get copyrights, so I might know a little more than you. You are legally not allowed to back up your licensed copy. This law applies to all media. It hasn't changed since the 1980's on my computer games that I bought from the store. I was shocked to find out that I couldn't sell them. VHS tapes was the same way, people tried to copy them, SACD, DVD, 3D models, CD, BD, etc. All you own is license to play that media that you bought. So you think that you have permission to copy it? Sell it? See as soon as the copy right holder finds out they file a DMCA on you.

How, pray tell, is the copyright holder going to "find out" what I have done to my discs in the privacy of my own home? The movie disc goes into my BR/DVD drive, then onto my hard drive. As long as I'm not doing something foolish like uploading it to the Internet, it never leaves my house. So how is Wanrner Brothers and Sony to know? (As examples)

Arguably illegal I'll grant, but until they start busting in doors based on "suspicion" and then levying fines, the copyright holders have no business (nor any way) to know what I'm doing in the privacy of my own home. And the day they do start busting in doors based on such "suspicions", I suspect the public outcry is going to force a rethinking of these inane policies.
post #107 of 116 Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 12
You are completely wrong about the DMCA. People like you have been promulgating BS falsehoods about the actual law for years and have created unnecessary fear uncertainty and doubt about a legal issue that is albeit unsettled but still true:

The DMCA ONLY SAYS IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE, SELL OR PROVIDE DECRYPTION TOOLS OR SERVICES -- IT HAS NOT YET BEEN SETTLED IN ANY COURT OF LAW IN THE USA WHETHER IT IS LEGAL OR ILLEGAL TO BUY OR USE A DECRYPTION TOOLS FOR FAIR USE PURPOSES (IE: BACKUP MOVIES THAT YOU OWN FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL PURPOSES -- PERIOD.).

This is the state of the law. There have been two cases - -both the REALDVD and the Kaleidescape case where both Judges stated unequivocally that the DMCA does not nor has there been any ruling that has addressed whether the PURCHASE or USE of decryption software (ie: AnyDVD) is illegal or not.

PLEASE learn these very important facts before spouting off on a subject that you are uneducated about. Most people believe that it is illegal when it is not. Even the latest opinions in the tri-annual review by the US copyright office of the DMCA said that they are not the venue to define what is fair use or not. It will take either the Congress to change the open-ended law or a Superior court to interpret the law to only create precedence (not a change in the law). Thus far, the two courts have supported fair use.

There are a number of very well written articles on the subject -- at CEPro, EFF and Mozaex\legal that explains what is admittedly a complex subject (since the CCA and AACSLA (I believe that is the acronym of the BD legal consortium) wants the public to believe it is illegal when it is not.

Until they CHANGE and DEFINE explicitly and exactly whether buying and using decryption tools is illegal or not -- buying and using decryption tools for legal purposes is LEGAL!!!

We are all free to share on multiple devices content we own for our own personal purposes -- as protected by the copyright act, multiple cases and the DMCA.

Fight the power to be free -- squeeqer
iatacs19 likes this.
post #108 of 116 Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Just because you have friends who "get copyrights" does not make you more knowledgeable about anything than anyone else.
I have never licensed a single movie or music recording. I have purchased many.
I do not see where the DMCA has anything to do with purchasing vs. licensing entertainment materials. From everything I have read, the DMCA speaks to breaking or bypassing digital encryption & copy protection of copyrighted materials in the USA. Used recorded movies and music are sold all the time by major companies on a daily basis, with no indication anyone has a problem with this.
iatacs19 and joe531 like this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #109 of 116 Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

they only pissed because they're not got getting a cut of the pie on your network..

I can't see the point running dvd over hdmi unless they reformat it...

as for bd uless you're playing with gigabit or better networks bd becomes useless for streaming...

I see the need for for 5-6 disc bd players as i do the 400ddisc models

I own tv series that go 6-8 disc to 60-150 discs so i see more value in 400 disc, though I say the 400 disc models are at an over inflated price
post #110 of 116 Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The recent|imminent arrival of High Fidelity Pure Audio (HFPA) Blu-ray discs--essentially the equivalent of 1, 2 or 3 CD music sets on a single BD--would seem to be the best consumer justification for a 5 or 6 disc Blu-ray player "replicating" the performance of old DVD and CD multi-disc players . . . except now with BD playback features added to the disc mix.

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #111 of 116 Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

soundchex it isn't a matter of what format the music is on it is the matter of what the playback medium...

given my dvd/bd collection I still see the need for a reliable 5-6 to a 400 disc model cd/sacd/dvd/dvd-a/bd player..

the biggest problem with rights is it only covers 1 transport medium add a network into the equation then everything changes..

once it is on a network it is public domain not a private viewing so anyone can access content when ever 24/7...
post #112 of 116 Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

The recent|imminent arrival of High Fidelity Pure Audio (HFPA) Blu-ray discs--essentially the equivalent of 1, 2 or 3 CD music sets on a single BD--would seem to be the best consumer justification for a 5 or 6 disc Blu-ray player

Nah, the best consumer justification for a Blu-ray changer is I want one, and if you folks out there in TV/home-theater land had any sense, you would want what I want tongue.gif

(Of course I mean a "universal" Blu-ray changer, with at least SACD and DVD-Audio support in addition to the common formats. Everyone should want that too. wink.gif)
post #113 of 116 Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 AM

so if their are no longer mega disc changers....

Is it possible to automate (out side of kalidescope) your DVD ripping?

Scenario.

I build a rather powerful Intel based computer tower, I stack 5 DVD-Blu-Ray readers in it.

Can i rip 5 blu-rays at the same time (assuming my write speed and bus speeds are not torched)

I would rip them all to a library, meta data would need to generate automatically.

Afterwards I would consolidate them into a media player, say Dune HD, Apple TV, XBOX, ETC.

Really i don't mind doing 4-5 Blu-rays a day, but doing 1 by 1 by 1 by 1 is a nightmare. I suppose I could build 5 separate computers and have them burn to a NAS?

If i did this... What are the best options for software. Handbrake is what I've used in the past. But anything that keeps it simple is preferred. This is to keep my DVDs (probably 800) in a single source.

For what it's worth id probably integrate it into my Crestron system.
post #114 of 116 Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

downside to raiding you'll be leaving the server on all the time..
post #115 of 116 Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

now with hdmi 2.0 I thik sony yanked the unit a. due to cost b, due to limitations of lan interface, c. limitations of hdmi interface

lack of internal storage...

now with UHD on the horizon I think if they wee to relaunch the 400 disc model they need to use a solution suitable with a pin when mounted laser diode...

1 to cater for dvd/cd//sa-cd

1 for bd content and 1 uhd

look 10gb networking nor fibre/fiber networking

drop the price where aver age joe can buy itin networking we're at the limits for 1gb networking for bd..

we need 10gb or better if we're broadcasting more than 1 device at the time..

daslt we're at the cross-roads of what is possible on our home networks both both 100-1gb need not apply in this quest of bd and uhd across the home network..

we're alreadiy at the limits of what 1gb can provide..

also note that UHD is a pointless standard at present give the cost of having to modify content to run at 70mm or better video size

in a context of time 60-70' WILL be standard..

also note: current HFC/cable/satellite networks need not apply given the limitation of their cable network which a shared medium to begin with..
post #116 of 116 Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM

I had the same question myself which what brought me to this forum. Many people think there is no need because they are only thinking movies.

Since Blu-ray players also play CD's it will serve as a CD changer for music also. However, my need is quite different. Since I like concerts on Blu-ray,

it would be nice to have a changer for parties. We often play Blu-ray concerts during parties. It would be nice to have a 5 or 6 disk changer so we would not

have to change disks during the party. It would especially be great if the changer had a shuttle play so it would play different cuts from different disks.

We don't need an  expensive 400 disk changer. That is why it failed, too expensive.

Phrynichus likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page