First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I would absolutely LOVE for the 83 to support HD DVD, but everyone including me just needs to forget about that becoming even close to reality. It is NOT going to happen. So it will be the BDP-83 on top, then the Onkyo DV-HD805 on the bottom.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I would absolutely LOVE for the 83 to support HD DVD, but everyone including me just needs to forget about that becoming even close to reality. It is NOT going to happen. So it will be the BDP-83 on top, then the Onkyo DV-HD805 on the bottom.

And right when I was getting my hopes up for an OPPO player with 5 HD DVD movies bundled.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

And right when I was getting my hopes up for an OPPO player with 5 HD DVD movies bundled.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty-pants View Post

i would absolutely love for the 83 to support hd dvd, but everyone including me just needs to forget about that becoming even close to reality. It is not going to happen. So it will be the bdp-83 on top, then the onkyo dv-hd805 on the bottom.

+1

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM

K, here's a hypothetical / theoretical question to anyone that is familiar with Oppo 983H upscaling abilities (because I think the BDP-83 will have comparable upscaling abilities) and also the DVDO Video Processor solutions (in particular, a familiarity with what the DVDO Edge might be capable of):

I jumped on the Pre-order buy of the Edge, because I'm still learning about video processors and wanted something simple and less expensive than something like the VP-50PRO (the HDMI output of the Edge was also significant to my purchasing it). I'm rebuilding my HT, and am trying to keep most cabling to HDMI where possible. I'm thinking that the upscaling abilities of the BDP-83 will be close to those of the DVDO Edge, but with slightly less ability (and yes, the upscaling abilities of the BPD-83 would be redundant in my situation of getting an Edge). Am I correct in my unguided assessment, or am I leaving somethings out?

Appreciate any guidance,
T
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post

K, here's a hypothetical / theoretical question to anyone that is familiar with Oppo 983H upscaling abilities (because I think the BDP-83 will have comparable upscaling abilities) and also the DVDO Video Processor solutions (in particular, a familiarity with what the DVDO Edge might be capable of):

I jumped on the Pre-order buy of the Edge, because I'm still learning about video processors and wanted something simple and less expensive than something like the VP-50PRO (the HDMI output of the Edge was also significant to my purchasing it). I'm rebuilding my HT, and am trying to keep most cabling to HDMI where possible. I'm thinking that the upscaling abilities of the BDP-83 will be close to those of the DVDO Edge, but with slightly less ability (and yes, the upscaling abilities of the BPD-83 would be redundant in my situation of getting an Edge). Am I correct in my unguided assessment, or am I leaving somethings out?

Appreciate any guidance,
T

I would say that you seem to have a pretty good grasp on the issues. What display are you using?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have had a sony Dvpns9100es, a Denon 2930, borrowed my dad's Denon 5910ci, and now a Oppo 983.
The Oppo 983 is by far the best. It is without compromise the greatest dvd player made for consumer use.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I would say that you seem to have a pretty good grasp on the issues. What display are you using?

Thanks for the "insanity" check Rob. Indeed, all the HT insanity got started when I obtained a Samsung 37A550 back in March. It's not the best, but a more than admirable start into LCD flatscreens (this is the first flat panel I ever purchased). If I recall correctly, it has a native resolution of 1080P/60 (which I understand is in the Edge's default output settings). I'm just looking for a nice HT setup that is easy to use. The plan is to hookup my old Pioneer Laser Disc player (if anyone knows a good place to send it to for maintenace / cleaning in Southern California, please PM me), a Verizon FIOS DVR, a SVHS player, and possibly a media streamer to the Edge. The Edge will send, via HDMI, the AV signals to the Samsung and the audio signals to a "To Be Determined" Reciever. At first, I was looking at the Onkyo 875/876, but now with the Edge in the picture, I may be leaning towards a Denon / Marantz / Yamaha / Pioneer Elite. I want to listen to the various receivers, hopefully playing through the same speakers and setups. I've a bunch of homework to do, but AVS Forums is helping alot (just way too much reading to do is all). Regarding Blu-Ray, I'm very interested hooking the BDP-83 into the setup, I just want to spend the $$ as wisely as I can.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz View Post

Thanks for the "insanity" check Rob. Indeed, all the HT insanity got started when I obtained a Samsung 37A550 back in March. It's not the best, but a more than admirable start into LCD flatscreens (this is the first flat panel I ever purchased). If I recall correctly, it has a native resolution of 1080P/60 (which I understand is in the Edge's default output settings). I'm just looking for a nice HT setup that is easy to use. The plan is to hookup my old Pioneer Laser Disc player (if anyone knows a good place to send it to for maintenace / cleaning in Southern California, please PM me), a Verizon FIOS DVR, a SVHS player, and possibly a media streamer to the Edge. The Edge will send, via HDMI, the AV signals to the Samsung and the audio signals to a "To Be Determined" Reciever. At first, I was looking at the Onkyo 875/876, but now with the Edge in the picture, I may be leaning towards a Denon / Marantz / Yamaha / Pioneer Elite. I want to listen to the various receivers, hopefully playing through the same speakers and setups. I've a bunch of homework to do, but AVS Forums is helping alot (just way too much reading to do is all). Regarding Blu-Ray, I'm very interested hooking the BDP-83 into the setup, I just want to spend the $$ as wisely as I can.

Based on your two posts here, it is obvious to me that you are doing your homework quite well and have a good understanding of what is going on. It's hard to say how much of an advantage the Edge might give you in combination with your displays native 1080p/60 resolution, but I am guessing it wouldn't be a lot better than what you will probably get with the Oppo.

If you want a superb receiver, take a look at the Pioneer Elite SC-09TX. The thread is located here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1027273

And remember.....I didn't say it was cheap!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Based on your two posts here, it is obvious to me that you are doing your homework quite well and have a good understanding of what is going on. It's hard to say how much of an advantage the Edge might give you in combination with your displays native 1080p/60 resolution, but I am guessing it wouldn't be a lot better than what you will probably get with the Oppo.

If you want a superb receiver, take a look at the Pioneer Elite SC-09TX. The thread is located here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1027273

LOL! Yeah, I was checking out the Pio Elite 94, Denon 3808, and Yamaha 3800 (maybe the Marantz 7002). I'm not sure how much the ethernet connectivity would be to me (that's the next bit of homework I have to do), except in updating FW, maybe HD FM stations. I'm even apprehensive about the ethernet connectivity of the Blu-Ray Profile 2.0, and how the studios intend to invade one's privacy etc with it. The BDP-83 may have some redundancy in the video processing area (for my planned setup), but it could come in handy if I move the player to another room that doesn't have all the HT equipment. The cost of this box will have a lot to do with my purchase. I like flexability, and the closest competitor to Oppo's Blu-Ray is the Pio 51, IMHO. So if Oppo hits the $599 mark . . . I could easily end up with the Oppo (even with the VP redundancy). I'll take a look at the Pioneer Elite SC-09TX. It may be "more receiver" than I'm looking for though, but I can sure appreciate the "high end" and save my pennies .
Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Tiwaz -- You might also check out the Pioneer VSX-05 and/or VSX-07 models. They are lower end versions of the SC-09 and use the same ICE amplifiers, but not all the "bells & whistles" of the SC-09.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
Old 09-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

Tiwaz -- You might also check out the Pioneer VSX-05 and/or VSX-07 models. They are lower end versions of the SC-09 and use the same ICE amplifiers, but not all the "bells & whistles" of the SC-09.

I think you mean the SC-05 and SC-07. The VSX models do not have the ICE amps.

There are no answers, only choices.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 AM

You folks have placed Oppo in the sad position of trying to be all things to all people. Not everyone is going to be disappointed, but it's quite inevitable many of you will.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:29 AM

It's very clear from the released information so far what this player is and isn't going to be (i.e. not a transport). The only things that are worth speculating about are features that could be added via firmware updates.

For what it's worth I hope the "Region 1 only for now" statement is a political one and not a technical one, as speculated.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Rob,

I have a review of the SC09, which should be up at UAV any day now. Great AVR, if you can afford it!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENN0 View Post

It's very clear from the released information so far what this player is and isn't going to be (i.e. not a transport). The only things that are worth speculating about are features that could be added via firmware updates.

For what it's worth I hope the "Region 1 only for now" statement is a political one and not a technical one, as speculated.

+1 (on all comments)
Old 09-12-2008, 04:52 PM

DVD-A is alive! Mark Waldrep at AIX Records keeps turning them out, and each is a work of art! Each is a new production, recorded live. No old tapes, in fact, no tapes at all. Everything is recorded on hard drives. They are the highest fidelity recorded audio ever offered to consumers. I own ~30 and keep buying them. If you buy over $100 worth, shipping is free.

Dr. Waldrep says he is experimenting with 7.1 channel hi rez audio on BR disks, and plans to re-issue some of his 5.1 channel DVD-As as 7.1 BR disks this fall. (fall of 2008).

If you want some recommendations as to which AIX to buy, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Are you are referring to DVD-Audio & SACD? Many consumers own multiple discs in each format and would like to play them. Also, DVD-Audio has slowed but SACD hasn't died just yet. Titles are being released presently.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Rob,

I have a review of the SC09, which should be up at UAV any day now. Great AVR, if you can afford it!

Nice Dave. I'll look for your review.

If I didn't already have an Anthem Statement D2, I would seriously consider the SC09 even though it is a receiver, not separates!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

DVD-A is alive! Mark Waldrep at AIX Records keeps turning them out, and each is a work of art! Each is a new production, recorded live. No old tapes, in fact, no tapes at all. Everything is recorded on hard drives. They are the highest fidelity recorded audio ever offered to consumers. I own ~30 and keep buying them. If you buy over $100 worth, shipping is free.

Dr. Waldrep says he is experimenting with 7.1 channel hi rez audio on BR disks, and plans to re-issue some of his 5.1 channel DVD-As as 7.1 BR disks this fall. (fall of 2008).

If you want some recommendations as to which AIX to buy, PM me.

AIX rocks!

Just having some of their discs is reason alone for Oppo to support DVD-A.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Good choice in the DV-983H as your CD transport.

Quote:

Nice Dave. I'll look for your review.

Dave Vaughn's Pioneer Elite SC-09TX A/V Receiver is live
Old 09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

As I understand it OPPO will have several options available, all automatically controlled by the DVD player through its menu system. From what I have gathered, there are three modes:

1. Always Scale: no matter what the source material is, scale to the output resolution.

2. Always Scale SD; Leave 1080p/24 native: If the source material is standard definition, always scale. If the source material is 1080p/24, pass it as 1080p/24.

3. Source Direct: Always output at the native resolution.

As for output scaling for SACD (DVD-Audio is not in the product at this point) this is something I have discussed with them on several occasions. Still do not know if they will implement a separate option for forcing the player to an upscaled resolution for SACD media.

These seem like good options. I will be interested to see how 1080i/60 Blu-rays are scaled. One of the big drawbacks of the PS3 is it's inability to scale 1080i Blu-rays, which are common with concert discs.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Oppo + BD + me = can't wait. (OK, cheesy post, but it'll make it easier for me to search for updates in the future!)

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

Oppo + BD + me = can't wait. (OK, cheesy post, but it'll make it easier for me to search for updates in the future!)

Based on Oppo's history, its easy to understand why.

Oppo Beta Group
Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Yes, thinking about the high quality BR player coming to you in the near future, makes you giddy like a young boy on Christmas morning.

Iiee'm, dreamiiiing, of an Oppooo, Chrismaaas.

Sorry, I had break out in song there.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Good choice in the DV-983H as your CD transport.

Dave Vaughn's Pioneer Elite SC-09TX A/V Receiver is live

The 983 is the best DVD player I've ever used by far...it's also one hell of a transport for CD's.

Not only is it a "Jack of all trades," it is a "master of all!"

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SACD/DVD-A with bitstream out for Blu-Ray plus conversion of DTS-MA and Dolby True HD to PCM and DSD out for SACD and I am in
Old 09-13-2008, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Yes, thinking about the high quality BR player coming to you in the near future, makes you giddy like a young boy on Christmas morning.

Iiee'm, dreamiiiing, of an Oppooo, Chrismaaas.

Sorry, I had break out in song there.

It's ok. Kind of like Ralphie and the Red Ryder dream!!!

Will a significant other shoot an eye out for buying ANOTHER oppo within the same calendar year?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stein View Post

You're joking, correct?

It's a great looking player. Stylish and simple.

Yes, it's so beautiful, I have seen it on the show, the thread's owner is not good at take photo,
Old 09-13-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 273
It would be nice if there were a better picture. Based on my 980H, I think it will look great.

One question though, If I keep my 980H, can you run both using an alternate set of remote codes?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

It would be nice if there were a better picture. Based on my 980H, I think it will look great.

Jon's pictures (found somewhere in this thread) offer a much clearer view of the player. In those pictures, it looks quite nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

One question though, If I keep my 980H, can you run both using an alternate set of remote codes?

We don't know yet. It's something I asked about late in the 983H testing, when some early reports had surfaced that OPPO was looking more seriously at doing a Blu-ray player.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80