First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2797 Old 09-20-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

Nice pics on there

I noticed that.

Jon, you are "published"!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2797 Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Jon, have your lawyer send them a collection letter for royalties due... .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #543 of 2797 Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys! Late to the party here, but thrilled to hear the news. Thanks to Neuromancer as always for the tidbits from behind the Oppo curtain. I've been holding off buying a PS3 waiting for Oppo to get in the game, so I'll keep holding off until this thing is officially announced.

Re: pricing. Based on current Blu-Ray player prices and the sell price of the 983H, I can't see this being priced at anything less than $599, and I have the sneaky suspicion that it will be around $699. Hope I'm wrong, because I can justify the first but not the second.

Gonna have to trade up the old PT-AE900U to a PT-AE2000U when this thing comes out.
post #544 of 2797 Old 09-21-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseGoth View Post

Hey guys! Late to the party here, but thrilled to hear the news. Thanks to Neuromancer as always for the tidbits from behind the Oppo curtain. I've been holding off buying a PS3 waiting for Oppo to get in the game, so I'll keep holding off until this thing is officially announced.

Re: pricing. Based on current Blu-Ray player prices and the sell price of the 983H, I can't see this being priced at anything less than $599, and I have the sneaky suspicion that it will be around $699. Hope I'm wrong, because I can justify the first but not the second.

Gonna have to trade up the old PT-AE900U to a PT-AE2000U when this thing comes out.

There's been a lot of guessing against what do you think Oppo will sell the BDP-83 for. Does the price of $599 relate more to what the players supposed featured set offers, or are you thinking of the mainstream competition's pricing (Panasonic, Denon, Pioneer, Sony for example) as why you would only be willing to pay only so much? As we all know sometimes you need to pay a bit more to get better performance and capabilities.

Oppo Beta Group
post #545 of 2797 Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM

I'm always amazed at folks who state that won't spend a couple of hundred dollars for a new component, when the perceived or expected market price is less. Yet these are the same folks who have probably spent much more on speakers, receivers, satellite equipment, cabling, etc., and probably drive BMWs or Lexus'.

I willingly paid $1,200 for my first mono VCR in the early 80's. Paying less than that for a component that will provide me with infinitely better picture, sound and convenience is absolutely a no-brainer.

Roberta
post #546 of 2797 Old 09-21-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup. I was in on the videotape craze very early and 'invested' $1400.00 in a Zenith Betavision player complete with a wired remote if my memory serves me correctly. It was a tank.

The new Oppo ought to be a bargain by comparison at almost any price.

Wayne
post #547 of 2797 Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

I'm always amazed at folks who state that won't spend a couple of hundred dollars for a new component, when the perceived or expected market price is less. Yet these are the same folks who have probably spent much more on speakers, receivers, satellite equipment, cabling, etc., and probably drive BMWs or Lexus'.

I willingly paid $1,200 for my first mono VCR in the early 80's. Paying less than that for a component that will provide me with infinitely better picture, sound and convenience is absolutely a no-brainer.

Roberta

I think its pretty natural to not want to pay anymore for something then you have to. I paid $6800 for my one and only projector almost 6 years ago (and was happy to get it for that price) but I wouldn't pay that much for one now because I can get so much more for less. I'd probably go for one in the $2500 range.
post #548 of 2797 Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Oppo needs this thing to play those formats no one else's players do to go along with what made their DVD players special. If this thing played matroska files in particular i would be all over it, xvid/divx-hd a special bonus as well and wmv-hd.
post #549 of 2797 Old 09-21-2008, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason30 View Post

Oppo needs this thing to play those formats no one else's players do to go along with what made their DVD players special. If this thing played matroska files in particular i would be all over it, xvid/divx-hd a special bonus as well and wmv-hd.

If I want to play these formats, I'll use my XBox 360, or transcode them for playback on my TiVo. I want a BD player that'll cover the *whole* gamut of BD functionality (which almost no other vendor has done), and upscale DVDs in the best quality, with the best possible image processing. SACD and DVD-A support would be icing (I don't have them myself, but might get a disc or two if this was an option). They need to make sure their BD support is as complete and bulletproof as possible before they worry about *anything* else.
post #550 of 2797 Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post

I think its pretty natural to not want to pay anymore for something then you have to. I paid $6800 for my one and only projector almost 6 years ago (and was happy to get it for that price) but I wouldn't pay that much for one now because I can get so much more for less. I'd probably go for one in the $2500 range.

I paid over $700.00 for my first Toshiba progressive scan DVD player. No, it did not do upscaling of any kind. Just 480p. The "p" was the reason for the high price.
post #551 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember how big a deal it was when the price of a progressive scan player dipped below $1000.00.

Wayne
post #552 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason30 View Post

Oppo cannot be more expensive than the low end competitors from the major brands and expect to do well without the added features that Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, LG, etc. do not have. They cannot sell a blu-ray player for a street price of $300 which is why their new player supports everything under the Sun.

Those features add more to the street price than they do to Oppo's costs by far (very good marginal contribution). So for Oppo to get a street price of $600 it has to blow away the competition on startup times and video quality, support legacy formats, have all the bells and whistles you can put on a chip and in software and have acceptable analog audio outputs (sort of like all their previous products).
post #553 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

I think whatever Oppo will ask for thier product will be both fair and competative based on the reputation they've built over the last few years. They've been very good at protecting thier brand by providing excellent customer support, enthusist support (via AVS), and product reliability. This is especially true given the size of thier company which is small by CE standards. That a small company such as this is able to compete and in many cases beat the big name companies at thier own game is a testemant to thier quality control and expertise.

I am very much looking forward to the BluRay player and am glad that I've chosen to wait for thier product to hit the street before making my decision. While my PS3 is an excellent player it lacks as a CD/SACD player in that there is no display thus requiring the use of a TV. This unit will allow me to finally move my 980H out of my theater and into another room bringing my total number of Oppo players to 3.

Are there features I'd like to see? Of course. RS-232 and a rear IR input would both be wonderful but I'm content to let those slide in favor of fast BluRay boot times and support for all digital music media types (SACD, HDCD, DVD-A, CD).

While I agree Maratroska playback would be an excellent feature it would be VERY niche. I echo an earlier posters remarks that MKV files are best played back over something like an X360 or other Media Center extender. There are a varity of freeware applications (Tversity) that will allow you to do this.

Please comment on my home theater and bedroom theater projects!
post #554 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I think its unlikely that Oppo will able to command a $600 price regardless of features.

Other than us geeks on these home theater forums, how many people do you think have even heard of Oppo?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #555 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Other than us geeks on these home theater forums, how many people do you think have even heard of Oppo?

Perhaps you're the only audience they desire.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #556 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I don't know... I saw it at CEDIA and would guess a $699 price.... But who knows.. If the 983 as a SD DVD player with scaler inside is $399, I can see a $300 premium for Blu Ray.. but who knows...?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #557 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

There's been a lot of guessing against what do you think Oppo will sell the BDP-83 for. Does the price of $599 relate more to what the players supposed featured set offers, or are you thinking of the mainstream competition's pricing (Panasonic, Denon, Pioneer, Sony for example) as why you would only be willing to pay only so much? As we all know sometimes you need to pay a bit more to get better performance and capabilities.

Both, really. Oppo has a history of feature-packing their products, but without the exorbitantly high premium charged by others for those features (I'm lookin' at you, Sony). For example, Oppo's lower-end unit, the DV-980H, is expensive compared to the lower end of other brands. But since it has the feature set of the higher end of other brands, it turns out to be quite cheap (price-wise).

That's why I say $599-$699. More expensive than the bottom tier Sony or Panasonic, but cheaper than the top tier.

Edit to add: For me, the cost difference crosses an invisible threashold. I might be able to justify $599, but $699 is a psychological barrier for some reason. At that price I'd be more likely to not purchase anything, and simply wait for the price to drop. I don't need to jump into BR right now, so I'll wait for the price to come down into my comfort range.
post #558 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post

Are there features I'd like to see? Of course. RS-232 and a rear IR input would both be wonderful but I'm content to let those slide in favor of fast BluRay boot times and support for all digital music media types (SACD, HDCD, DVD-A, CD).

It has a Rear IR in and out, did you look at the photos linked in the first post?

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #559 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

It has a Rear IR in and out, did you look at the photos linked in the first post?

I couldn't quite make them out but I did notice that after the fact. I should have edited my post. I appologize.

post #560 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

I remember how big a deal it was when the price of a progressive scan player dipped below $1000.00.

Wayne

I remember how big a deal it was when people realized they often got better imaging by turning OFF the Progressive feature in their fancy new Progressive player because the implementation of the de-interlacing was so full of problems.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #561 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I think its unlikely that Oppo will able to command a $600 price regardless of features.

And people thought that they wouldn't be able to command a $399.00 price point for their flagship DV-983H when it was released in Spring. They sold out.

Quote:

They really only need the geeks. They are not competing brick and mortar, so they do not have to worry about being price competitive or an iconic brand.
post #562 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

More and more of the General Public are hearing about Oppo. However, if they are going to sell past the Geeks-here. It will have to play many formates (with few firmware updates- i get alot of question from friends regarding this operation). It truly has to be the 983H with state of the art BR features. The GP has bought into the fact HD TV is the way to go and 5.1 system are now being understood and will soon see more in typical homes. However, SD movies will rule fro a very long time. Netflex charges and extra $1 to your account if you want BR. GP still may not want this>>
post #563 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

They really only need the geeks. They are not competing brick and mortar, so they do not have to worry about being price competitive or an iconic brand.

They really only want the geeks. The unwashed masses don't know the difference between price and value. This player will offer a feature and performance package not currently available at ANY price.

Most of us around here are just looking for an excuse to buy new hardware. This player will be a no-brainer.
post #564 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post

I couldn't quite make them out but I did notice that after the fact. I should have edited my post. I appologize.

No problem, just wanted to make sure you knew it has the IR ports

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #565 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

They really only want the geeks. The unwashed masses don't know the difference between price and value. This player will offer a feature and performance package not currently available at ANY price.

Most of us around here are just looking for an excuse to buy new hardware. This player will be a no-brainer.

Good image, but hard to earn a living only off of geeks alone (yes I am, got the glasses to prove it and I have been developing software for 20 plus years) Their products offer great value for the price without resorting to only price where they would lose. I think they would like to move beyond geeks and make some real money at this point, but what do I know.
post #566 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Most consumers will want to purchase something from a name brand. They can touch it, feel it, use it, and more importantly purchase it locally. They feel safe with this kind of purchase, as they have an easy means of returning it if they have problems, and have a track record of previous quality.

Only enthusiasts are willing to trust a brand which is not found in your brick and mortar location. These enthusiast will then "corrupt" core purchasers if the product is priced right for its feature set.

OPPO is small, they can survive off of AVS Forum type of users. For standard fare users, they can always rely on Amazon.com to promote them.
post #567 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

OPPO is small, they can survive off of AVS Forum type of users. For standard fare users, they can always rely on Amazon.com to promote them.

I've always wondered about the economics of direct-to-the-consumer selling. Amazon takes a huge cut; that can't help Oppo's margins. I've always presumed if they moved to brick-and-mortar retail outlets they'd have to double the prices.

On the other hand, now they have to handle all the shipping for each unit, so perhaps there is a tradeoff.

-Bill
post #568 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And word of mouth. I've bought more equipment based on enthusiast recommendation and this forum than I have from any store sales rep or advertisement. I've had nothing but great experiences with Oppo and will continue to recommend them to all my friends and family.

post #569 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I paid over $700.00 for my first Toshiba progressive scan DVD player. No, it did not do upscaling of any kind. Just 480p. The "p" was the reason for the high price.

Yup. I paid $800+ for the Toshiba SD6200 DVD player. Beautiful picture. Have I regretted paying that sum of money for it? Not for a second!

R
post #570 of 2797 Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

They really only need the geeks.

Hmmm...geeks. A peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, gaming, etc.

Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs.

You sure you want to call all Oppo fans geeks?

Oppo Beta Group
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page