First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Not if your face is 3' away.

I don't know anyone personally who would sit so close to their monitor in such a way and I've seen quite a number of home theater setups. You could forget about getting any proper stereo imaging off your front speakers in this scenario. Seems rather foolish. To each his own I guess.

That being said I have a 32" SONY Bravia LCD and I sit back much further and it still looks great. I see plenty of detail. I have the 981 which I bought early last year. It is such a great machine.

As I just had to get into HD I purchased the Panasonic BD-30 Blu-ray player earlier this year and with a few major caveats, it's a good component - great image and sound. However, its std DVD scaler is not that great and actually very poor compared to the 981. If Oppo can give us a great BD player and keep the super DVD scaling of their 980, 981 & 983 as well, I will sell the Panny and get the Oppo. That is how much I respect this company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So, we're all just guessing about price and release and specs, eh?!

Is there anything from Oppo, other than the pics?

What do we know for sure so far?!

BTW, I was at CEDIA and saw this machine in person--was immediately grabbed by the SACD/DVD-A labels on the back! As expected I couldn't track down the Oppo guys who were walking the floor as well. I left my number with the DVDO guys to pass to Oppo, but, as expected, got not response.

I'm so close to just getting something right now! However, I don't want to be stupid, so I wait...

creative>energy

post #633 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

So, we're all just guessing about price and release and specs, eh?!

Yes.

Quote:
Is there anything from Oppo, other than the pics?

As I recall, someone from Oppo said the price would be $500-$1000. And that DVD-A was not working on the CEDIA demo, but that they would continue to work on getting it supported.

For everyone hoping for Christmas: I have no inside info on the schedule, but think about it. To be selling for Christmas it would have to be shipping around Thanksgiving at the latest, right? Meaning solid info should be available around Halloween.

That seems like an agressive schedule to me.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #634 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

As a non-BD player owner with (only) a 720p front projector (106" screen @ 11') and a 32" LCD HDTV set (for regular TV viewing, mostly), I sure hope Oppo doesn't "stub it's toe" on their new BDP-83 as the other, major, Mfg.'s have. There was lots of neat speculation on the new generation of players (Sony S550, Panasonic BD50, Pioneer BD-51FD & Elite BD-05FD), and all have some failings once they got released.

I would really like to get a BD Player, but it is beginning to look like that upgrade purchase will have to be relegated to my last upgrade purchase for this go-around. I was hoping to get a BD player before I upgraded my PJ, but it's beginning to look like that will happen (before the end of October) before I get a BD player. I really don't want to get a PS3, but I also don't want to spend $400 to $600 for a player with warts (and then another similar amount next year for a better one).

I sure hope that the Oppo BDP-83 meets most, if not all, of it's advanced specified performance specs - especially regards BD playing (including lossless 7.1 channel audio) capability. Good SD-DVD performance is secondary to me, as is SACD & DVD-A capability (I would like them, but . . .). Right now, the new Pioneers look like they are having problems that I haven't previously associated with Pioneer products. The Sony's are, well, Sony (and not as good as their PS3). The Panasonic BD50 seems to be the best performer, so far - it's the one that Oppo really has to beat, IMHO. I sure hope it does, when it gets finally released.

Like everyone else, I would like to see that the 83's released price is $699 or less (and before December). But even if it is $799, it would be worth it (the value equation), if it does beat everything out there selling under $1200-$1500 (which shouldn't be too hard considering that the Panny BD50 seems to do that already).

Just my 2 cents worth, from the sidelines.

If you're sitting on the sidelines at this point awaiting the perfect BD player, I think you're really doing yourself a disservice -- that is, you're really missing out on a lot, even with a 720p projector. I have a 37" 720p lcd tv, and I cannot believe the difference in video quality vs. standard DVD. Yes, my player is a bit slow (a 1st gen Sony BDP-S1), but I've been enjoying high-res sound and video for almost a year and a half now with no regrets.

As for the Oppo BD player, I'll seriously consider it if/when it comes out, 'cause I love my DV-980H. But only if it truely delivers everything -- including SACD and DVD-A. Otherwise, my two-box solution is still first-rate IMO.

Brad
post #635 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

If you're sitting on the sidelines at this point awaiting the perfect BD player, I think you're really doing yourself a disservice -- that is, you're really missing out on a lot, even with a 720p projector.

I too am sitting on the sidelines, and have a 720p projector.

My dilemma is this:

My AV receiver doesn't decode the new high-def audio formats. Plus, I like the idea of decoding in the BD player anyhow, for secondary audio, special features, etc. So I've been waiting on a fully-decoding player. I also want the full Profile 2.0 spec, especially the ethernet jack for firmware updates. And I really really don't want a PS3... or anything Sony, for that matter.

I upgraded my DVD player to the Oppo 983 in the interim, to milk as much from my DVD collection as I can while I wait the whole Blu-Ray thing out.

I had been watching the various Panasonic players, and thought about the BD50... until it cost a fortune and sucked at DVD playback. Then the BD35 was announced, and it became a toss-up between keeping my 983 and getting the BD35, or selling the 983 and buying the Oppo BDP-83... until I realized my limited number of HDMI inputs is really going to force my hand on this one. I need to have a combined DVD/BD player. So I have to wait for the BDP-83.

EDIT: I meant BD50, not BD55. Sorry

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And...
. Thank you. :)
post #636 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

I had been watching the various Panasonic players, and thought about the BD55... until it cost a fortune and sucked at DVD playback.

What reviews of the BD55's DVD playback have you seen? And a $399 price from Amazon doesn't sound like a "fortune" to me.
post #637 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

I had been watching the various Panasonic players, and thought about the BD55... until it cost a fortune and sucked at DVD playback. Then the BD35 was announced, and it became a toss-up between keeping my 983 and getting the BD35, or selling the 983 and buying the Oppo BDP-83... until I realized my limited number of HDMI inputs is really going to force my hand on this one. I need to have a combined DVD/BD player. So I have to wait for the BDP-83.

I thought the panasonic BD55, which isn't even out yet, was supposed to be pretty good at DVD playback. Except for the analog out, it's the exact same machine as the BD35.

Either way, I really wish the price was announced soon. SD DVD is important for me, so that's why I really want the Oppo, but the Samsung 2500 (reon) is really tempting, and it's available now a Best Buy (2550) or the panasonic 35/55 is also tempting.
post #638 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I really feel like some people's perspective regarding price is somewhat unrealistic here. I must have owned 20 DVD players over the format's life cycle. I was always concerned with pq first, despite wanting full features. At one time I had the Denon 3910 and before that the Pioneer top of the line (I forget the model #, 9500 or 9600, I think) The Denon's pq was neck and neck with OPPO's, but dialogue wasn't as intelligible. The Pioneer had the best audio quality by a wide, and I mean WIDE margin. It was glorious to listen to, but pq sucked. If OPPO makes a Blu-ray player that has everything the 983 does, plus stellar Blu-ray pq, it's a no brainer for me. I don't care what they sell it for, I'm buying it. I'm worn out from researching, trying so many models and then suffering their flaws. I know the A/V cliche`, "nothing's perfect", but the 983 is as close as it gets, and I'm willing to pay what it's worth to have a 983 "PLUS". $1000 for a top of the line pq, flawlessly implemented multi-format player? That sounds like a bargain to me.
post #639 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

What reviews of the BD55's DVD playback have you seen? And a $399 price from Amazon doesn't sound like a "fortune" to me.

sorry, that was a typo. I meant the BD50. The BD55 isn't out yet. The reviews on the BD50's DVD playback were not complimentary.

And it's all relative. I think it's fair to say that DVD playback on the BDP-83 and 983 are better than that even of the Panasonic BD35 and BD55.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And...
. Thank you. :)
post #640 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opuntia View Post

the Samsung 2500 (reon) is really tempting, and it's available now a Best Buy (2550) or the panasonic 35/55 is also tempting.

It has a Reon (Realta?) upscaler, but it also doesn't do DTS-HD MA (maybe HR, but haven't noticed any studios using that format). If the decoding of all advanced audio encoding formats is important to the GP - and if he expects to be having any Fox BDs, it probably is - then that's a pretty major strike against all the Samsungs.
post #641 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

It has a Reon (Realta?) upscaler, but it also doesn't do DTS-HD MA (maybe HR, but haven't noticed any studios using that format). If the decoding of all advanced audio encoding formats is important to the GP - and if he expects to be having any Fox BDs, it probably is - then that's a pretty major strike against all the Samsungs.

re bdp2550-it is a reon. the realta is the next step up as far as capability and $.
both are 'parented' by silicon optix.

10' from 84" screen.

post #642 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

BTW, I was at CEDIA and saw this machine in person--was immediately grabbed by the SACD/DVD-A labels on the back!

What "DVD-A Label on the back"?

I didn't see this in the pics. Did I miss it?

post #643 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Many people are confusing the DVD-Video logo for the DVD-Audio logo.
post #644 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Many people are confusing the DVD-Video logo for the DVD-Audio logo.

I suppose that's possible, but my friend and I were very careful in looking at all the logos, etc., and we "thought" we saw DVD-A...

creative>energy

post #645 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:

I suppose that's possible, but my friend and I were very careful in looking at all the logos, etc., and we "thought" we saw DVD-A...

Sorry to have to be the spoiler.....here is a picture of the logos on the back.

RayJr

"
"

post #646 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall which CEDIA report I read it in, but at least one of them reported that OPPO had said they intentionally omitted a DVD-A logo on the prototype because they were still working with the firmware to get DVD-A implemented. They still hope to include DVD-A on the final product, in which case the production samples could have the logo...

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #647 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

Sorry to have to be the spoiler.....here is a picture of the logos on the back.RayJr

No spoiler here, I appreciate getting the facts straight! Thanks Rayjr.

The happy news at any rate is that they appear to be working on having the DVD-A after-all.

Now all I need is an infusion of patience and a quick-fix for a BR while Oppo decides our fate...

creative>energy

post #648 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayswantmore View Post

Yes, The Sony KD-34XBR970 only has one hdmi output so i bought a monoprice switcher to take care of that. I agree with the only flaw being only 34" but I actually went to Circuit City last week and bought the Samsung 61" LED dlp. It was way too big for my living room. had to return it.

SO yeah I am waiting for the Oppp blu ray now before i decide to buy a new television.

I have the 970 as well and love the thing....but like you said, I just wish it was a tad bit larger. Picture quality is so darn good that I'll probably be using it for a while longer. Watching HD versus SD is very noticeable, so I can't wait to see how BD looks on there.

I wish the direct-view CRTs hadn't gone away...sure they're large and heavy, but I don't know too many people who move their TVs around a lot.
post #649 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

I don't recall which CEDIA report I read it in, but at least one of them reported that OPPO had said they intentionally omitted a DVD-A logo on the prototype because they were still working with the firmware to get DVD-A implemented. They still hope to include DVD-A on the final product, in which case the production samples could have the logo...

Right. I think someone was getting the back logo confused with a logo on the LCD readout on the front of the unit in the posted pictures....you can see DVD-A on there. Most LCDs are slightly generic, but either way it's good to see it on there at all!
post #650 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Great pics.

FWIW the LCD has a "DVD-A" element right at the top left, above the "SACD" one.

Granted, that isn't conclusive evidence - my Toshiba A1 also had a "1080p" signal.

This is from post 117 in this thread.
See pic here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...9&d=1220737056

post #651 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

See pic here...

Knew somebody would find this post

It's hard to see, but it's there.

Now as to whether or not it will actually happen, that's a different story.
post #652 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

See pic here...

Cool--though I can't claim that that's where I saw "DVD-A"

creative>energy

post #653 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Here's the picture....I will see Jon Spackman tomorrow..and get the original, this one pixelates when you blow it up.

RayJr

"
"

post #654 of 2797 Old 09-25-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The wait for it to come out gives me some time to think about investing in a 1080p projector. I planned on getting a Blu Ray player first, but if money is available, I might pop for a Sony VPL 60 or JVC RS something just before the OPPO Blu Ray arrives. Hell, I'd place a pre-order now if they'd take one!
post #655 of 2797 Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

I really feel like some people's perspective regarding price is somewhat unrealistic here. I must have owned 20 DVD players over the format's life cycle. I was always concerned with pq first, despite wanting full features. At one time I had the Denon 3910 and before that the Pioneer top of the line (I forget the model #, 9500 or 9600, I think) The Denon's pq was neck and neck with OPPO's, but dialogue wasn't as intelligible. The Pioneer had the best audio quality by a wide, and I mean WIDE margin. It was glorious to listen to, but pq sucked. If OPPO makes a Blu-ray player that has everything the 983 does, plus stellar Blu-ray pq, it's a no brainer for me. I don't care what they sell it for, I'm buying it. I'm worn out from researching, trying so many models and then suffering their flaws. I know the A/V cliche`, "nothing's perfect", but the 983 is as close as it gets, and I'm willing to pay what it's worth to have a 983 "PLUS". $1000 for a top of the line pq, flawlessly implemented multi-format player? That sounds like a bargain to me.

Well put and I concur 100%.
post #656 of 2797 Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post

Well put and I concur 100%.

I disagree, sound quality first. I guess the proper response would be both

My Media Room Photos:

post #657 of 2797 Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I come from an audio background myself and have sensitivity to sound subtleties. The OPPO's do a very good job in the audio dept. They're clean and dialogue is excellent. That said, they don't have that special magic that some audio pieces do, and that's fine. It's a rare thing and doesn't seem to follow any particular brand. For some reason many factors converge and one particular component has a special sound quality. Lately, I'm knocked out by a little $800 integrated amp by Decco. My friend has a $60,000 audio system and this little amp gives much of the same pleasure as his system does, go figure. The OPPO's have definitely been more than satisfactory as an audio source, but let's not overrate that aspect.
post #658 of 2797 Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

I disagree, sound quality first. I guess the proper response would be both

Oppos through analog outputs are average to mediocre, that isn't their goal, to them analog outputs are about market size for legacy environments not nutty levels of hardware for analog audio (like the top of the line Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD player will have, without SACD, go figure, that is a really small niche market, with SACD also it is small enough, eliminate that and I hope the dozen or so buyers really enjoy their $2200 Blu-ray player).

Oppo knows that if you care that much about sound you will buy a controller or receiver that can do that from the HDMI audio connection, I'll be willing to bet it beats the new Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD for video playback. If someone can afford the BDP-09FD they can afford a new controller to go with it thus negating the need for the analog outputs.
post #659 of 2797 Old 09-27-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

oppos through analog outputs are average to mediocre, that isn't their goal, to them analog outputs are about market size for legacy environments not nutty levels of hardware for analog audio (like the top of the line pioneer elite bdp-09fd player will have, without sacd, go figure, that is a really small niche market, with sacd also it is small enough, eliminate that and i hope the dozen or so buyers really enjoy their $2200 blu-ray player).

Oppo knows that if you care that much about sound you will buy a controller or receiver that can do that from the hdmi audio connection, i'll be willing to bet it beats the new pioneer elite bdp-09fd for video playback. If someone can afford the bdp-09fd they can afford a new controller to go with it thus negating the need for the analog outputs.

So?

My Media Room Photos:

post #660 of 2797 Old 09-27-2008, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

So?

Historically, sound quality through the analog outputs is definitely secondary. Good enough for most people who don't care that much. If it is really important to someone they should shop elsewhere or get a good HDMI 1.1 or greater controller or receiver.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page