First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 984
What? You wouldn't laugh if you saw how convenient it was when you need a beer during the big game!

And for quality movie viewing, I just have to open the door a bit and the little light inside comes on. You know. Ambience Back-Lighting....

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

What? You wouldn't laugh if you saw how convenient it was when you need a beer during the big game!

And for quality movie viewing, I just have to open the door a bit and the little light inside comes on. You know. Ambience Back-Lighting....

--Bob

You're on a roll. Keep going!
post #723 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lol
post #724 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well I do hope Oppo reads this forum to get a sense of where their customers sentiments are. I do detect quite a bit of support for adding DVD-Audio (they have already said SACD is included).

I would want a unit that can bitstream the various audio options to the receiver.

I also get a sense I am not alone in wanting HD DVD thrown in. I do have a HD DVD player...for the xbox and the PC. But I am out of HDMI ports in the receiver. So an all in one unit would be great.

Yes I know gen one will not include this. But gen two....who knows what the lineup could be.
post #725 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I also get a sense I am not alone in wanting HD DVD thrown in. I do have a HD DVD player...for the xbox and the PC. But I am out of HDMI ports in the receiver. So an all in one unit would be great.

I certainly wouldn't be mad if they included HD DVD support in the player, but I think it's entirely unrealistic to think that they will.
post #726 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

I don't know about the rest of you but there's just that certain something that's satisfying about holding a disc and it's case in your hands. Part of the joy of this hobby is the anticipation of what the film is going to be like. I think that the artwork and text on the disc case contributes to this.

Downloading sort of reminds me of how they eat in 'The Jetsons' cartoon. Your roast beef dinner is in a pill. I'd still want to cut into that meat and chew it you know?

Wayne

Yes I could not agree with you more on this. One thing I would like or prefer though, is for the optical disk to go away. Transports start to go funny after a while with dust and marks and scratches on the disks themselves rendering the disks unplayable. How many times I've returned rentals because of this(people must use these things as a Frisbee). I'd prefer some sort of flash memory/solid state like an SD card. I think it was Sandisk that just released a 32 Gig version. Next year it will double to 64Gig, already more than a double layer Bluray. Get rid of the transport and the player will became super reliable.
post #727 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

US financial decline will fix this disease real good............as we'll all be wearing smocks and eating "Soylent Green" pretty soon.

BTW, "Soylent Green" is a great movie (SD-DVD):
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...18&style=movie

Sooner than later friend. I think though that your already eating "Soylent Green". If you eat take away that is.
post #728 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Those of you who want, or expect Oppo to include an HD-DVD drive in one of their players are living in la la land. They might as well throw in the ability to play Laser Disc's as well.

While oppo's at it, they should also play 8 track cartridges.
post #729 of 2797 Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

I wonder how the new ABT chips in the Oppo, which is basically a VP50pro, stacks up against the Realta chip or Pioneer's coming $2k behemoth? I'm assuming that essentially, video quality will be the same as Denon or Pioneer, but about $1000+ less. Just looking for the best picture quality available.

They all should produce excellent quality. Given the SD DVD players with these techs, the Oppo 983 is usually stated as the "best", but all are very good and extremely close. I have personally used the Oppo 983 and Onkyo 805 HD DVD player (Reon) and I slightly prefer the Oppo, but I have never seen QDEO. Funny, in all the threads about the LG BH200 (QDEO) and XA2 (Reon) most seemed to prefer Reon. Now that this new Pioneer flagship player is coming out and QDEO equipped, now I'm reading QDEO has the edge... Hopefully one day I'll have a BH200 myself.
post #730 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They might as well throw in the ability to play Laser Disc's as well.

Now, that really would be nice!
post #731 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post

While oppo's at it, they should also play 8 track cartridges.

not only that, they should upconvert them to DTS MA....LMFAO!!!
post #732 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:

Those of you who want, or expect Oppo to include an HD-DVD drive in one of their players are living in la la land. They might as well throw in the ability to play Laser Disc's as well.

How about mini disc too?
post #733 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcfan View Post

How about mini disc too?

i think they should also include an adapter so that you can remove the tray and slide in a DAT tape reader...LMAO!!!
post #734 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Vinyl - the new Oppo should play vinyl too. Especially those old 78's. And they should use the laser as the pickup not a needle.

Geof
post #735 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Where's the Oppo thread?

Please comment on my home theater and bedroom theater projects!
post #736 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Rob, any particular reason you feel that way? There are at least 1.5 if not 3 million HD DVD discs in the wild. Are there that many SACD (let alone DVD-A) discs in the wild?

HD DVD might be costly and full of royalties right now. However, if that should drop in the near future, why wouldn't we expect truly universal players in the future?

As to the LaserDisc thing, I would not be surprised if Pioneer made yet another player that plays Blu-Ray, DVD and LaserDisc. If Panasonic can make a combo VHS/Blu-Ray player, then I am of the belief that anything is possible as long as there is sufficient business justification.
post #737 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post

Where's the Oppo thread?

Besides, we've already been through all this.

But I'd really, seriously like to see HD-DVD support. I'm clueless on what that would entail design- and royalty-wise. But Oppo's customer base is far more likely to have a stack of HD-DVDs than, say, Magnavox's customer base.

Just sayin'.
post #738 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

HD-DVD, fuhgeddaboudit, I want my OPPO to help find my keys when they've gone missing.
post #739 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

But I'd really, seriously like to see HD-DVD support. I'm clueless on what that would entail design- and royalty-wise. But Oppo's customer base is far more likely to have a stack of HD-DVDs than, say, Magnavox's customer base.

Just sayin'.

I understand, but it is not going to happen. It is a DVD/CD/Blu-Ray/SACD and possibly DVD-Audio player. It will never be an HD DVD player. There are no new HD DVD players. It is time to move on.

All my HD DVDs were sold on Ebay.

Just respondin'

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #740 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

Just sayin'.

We know it's possible. My HTPC does it now. I picked up a LG combo Blu-ray/HD DVD ROM for ~$100. Together with included PowerDVD 7.3, I can play all Blu-ray and HD DVD in the same machine. I could probably build a HTPC that can play all formats in a nice attractive home theater component looking case for ~$500-700. I'm sure larger companies like Oppo could distill the essentials into hard silicon for much less.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #741 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob

Did you get the firmware update for the "Dolby Ice" that keeps the ice cube maker from dropping new cubes into the bin until there's a commercial?

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #742 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Rob, any particular reason you feel that way? There are at least 1.5 if not 3 million HD DVD discs in the wild. Are there that many SACD (let alone DVD-A) discs in the wild?

I do not know but I do know that there were over 5000 SACDs released and that they are still being released. That is quite different from the HD-DVD situation, no?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #743 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Did you get the firmware update for the "Dolby Ice" that keeps the ice cube maker from dropping new cubes into the bin until there's a commercial?

Yes. Works great. That one also extends the Color Temperature menu setting so that in addition to Warm, Normal, and Cool choices, you can now also select, Icy Cold, Vacation, and Defrost.

I hope Oppo ships this player soon before we all go bananas....
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #744 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Or a VHS slot to boot. LOL

Visit my home page for ideas on your HT project.
post #745 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

HD DVD might be costly and full of royalties right now. However, if that should drop in the near future, why wouldn't we expect truly universal players in the future?

As to the LaserDisc thing, I would not be surprised if Pioneer made yet another player that plays Blu-Ray, DVD and LaserDisc. If Panasonic can make a combo VHS/Blu-Ray player, then I am of the belief that anything is possible as long as there is sufficient business justification.

HD-DVD is a dead format. Dead. Not niche, not dying, but dead.

Why would Oppo want to risk lower sales by increasing the price of their player to add HD-DVD playback, when that is a dead format? You can't buy new releases for that format. Would they really expect to sell MORE players by adding HD-DVD playback, even at a higher price?

I am sure that Oppo has done their own marketing research to determine whether it would be worth it to them to do this. As you say yourself, there must be sufficient business justification to do it. I don't see that justification existing. I still have about 50 HD-DVD's myself. I need to sell them while I can, and start replacing them with BD counterparts as they are released.
post #746 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Oh no, not the HD-DVD thing again. Get over it folks.
post #747 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That is TOO good! (And this coming from an XA2 owner)
post #748 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

OPPO will not say. They could have it out before Christmas. They could not. Price has not been finalized because the release date and the final, shipping specifications are not finalized.

Be patient.

I hope they do get it out in time for X-mas and in enough quantities to cover initial demand in full.
I also hope it has a reasonable price tag like all of their other players.
Though the 983 being $400 would leave this simpleton to believe the BR will be 5-7 bills.
post #749 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to guess it will be $699, but I'd gladly pay more if it is in fact as good as the 983 with superb Blu-ray playback. OPPO has made their reputation by creating reference quality players at prices that trounce other company's products of similar quality, so I'm sure the price will be as low as possible.
post #750 of 2797 Old 10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps in the future they will come out with a bare bones version with the BR playback quality but missing other features for a lower price. I'd jump all over that as long as it has advanced audio codec decoding.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page