First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
no reason to feel like a fool...

1) you've been using the player for a year...

2) it's the way it goes with electronics... better, faster, cheaper... you can always look back and say "wow, look how much more i paid for x, when i can get x+y today"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Over 1 year, that's a difference of $100!

I am sure you've enjoyed your 983 during the year -
and for that enjoyment it cost you a little more than 27 cents per day.

I remember my mother telling me of a neighbor you died without TV in the early
60s because she was waiting for color to be perfected.
post #183 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

No offense but am I the only one that will feel like a fool if the Oppo Blue-Ray sells for $499 and have paid $399 for the 983 just a year earlier? (This only applies with the BDP-83 having the same DVD upscaling capabilities.)

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of it being at the $499 price point and I do love the 983's PQ but man.

A year is a long time for consumer audio video products these days, but at $499, this Blu-ray player would be a great deal. Blu-ray players were much higher when the DV-983H was introduced. All of this discussion now about this upcoming Blu-ray player will likely hurt sales of the DV-983H at $399. I don't think Oppo will be able to bring it out at $499, but between $500 to $600 is a better chance.

Chris
post #184 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Unless they drop the price of the 983 before this releases ... I'm still a bit surprised they came out with a DVD only player for $399 (as great as it is), that hasn't been their strategy in the past.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #185 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Unless they drop the price of the 983 before this releases ... I'm still a bit surprised they came out with a DVD only player for $399 (as great as it is), that hasn't been their strategy in the past.

One thing I am sure of - I've owned three of its DVD players - OPPO Digital will not drop its price. Woot! sold about 2,400 981s in less than a day at a knock down price. But OPPO Digital still has it listed at $229.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #186 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post

Good question. Are they using the same good old Mediatek chip in this one as well?

I highly doubt the Mediatek chip we've become so familiar with is in this player. The duties that it serves in OPPO's DVD players would likely be handled by whatever is being used to provide support for Blu-ray and for decoding of the new audio formats. That chip (or those chips, as I have no clue what they're doing in that regard) would almost certainly offer the capabilities of the older Mediatek chip in addition to the more advanced capabilities it provides.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #187 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

Depending on price, this could be a PS3 killer. The only feature the PS3 has, and the Oppo may lack is Wi-Fi.

PS3... (playstation) itself is in a class of its own... I'm not a gamer but it's like Mcdonald's every kid growing up knows the (GOLDEN ARCHES) PS3 is not going anywhere it's like a salty french fry...LOL (BIG BUSINESS). PS3 killer... NOT

Steve
post #188 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellkrell View Post

over 1 year, that's a difference of $100!

I am sure you've enjoyed your 983 during the year -
and for that enjoyment it cost you a little more than 27 cents per day.

I remember my mother telling me of a neighbor you died without tv in the early
60s because she was waiting for color to be perfected.

wow
post #189 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 AM
T7T

Quote:

Depending on price, this could be a PS3 killer. The only feature the PS3 has, and the Oppo may lack is Wi-Fi.

I doubt the Oppo plays videogames. That's the primary function of PlayStation3. All the rest are bonus features.

It's going to be hard to kill PS3 with something that doesn't play games.
post #190 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

I know thats right..

Steve
post #191 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

No offense but am I the only one that will feel like a fool if the Oppo Blue-Ray sells for $499 and have paid $399 for the 983 just a year earlier? (This only applies with the BDP-83 having the same DVD upscaling capabilities.)

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of it being at the $499 price point and I do love the 983's PQ but man.

You're not the only one. I just bought the 983 less than a month ago.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #192 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well I would still get the Oppo for six or even seven hundred dollars as long as it truly does stand out above every other blu-ray player, and I have no doubt it will. However, it is pricey, and to get that kind of money for a movie machine, may not happen for a while. They sell it for $499, and I'm there, no questions asked. I just hope they tell us what the price is estimated to be before we start shopping for the holidays!
post #193 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 AM

I highly doubt it will be $499. It's a hefty machine and the building cost looks much higher than their $399 DV-983H. With the blue laser cost still high (BD-ROM drives are $100 - $150 more than DVD-ROM drives), I don't think oppo can pull it off with just $100 premium over the 983H. On the other hand, if the price is too high people will still stick with their PS3. In any case, I will buy it and be happy if it can deliver everything at $700.
post #194 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM
T7T

I agree. Bear in mind the PS3 is subsidized; all other BD players aren't.
post #195 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs232guy View Post

Another excellent feature: It will boot and load discs as fast as a PS3 - none of these multi-minute waits like on most other BD players! This is huge.

Now this would be quite impressive indeed if they achive that. Even the new Pioneer players tried and failed at this from everything I've read from owners. Looks like my PS3 will be relegated to games only before too long.
post #196 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Video of the beast found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLi7OieX94
post #197 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Sent an e-mail to my guy at OPPO and asked him two questions I at least new he would be able to talk about. The first was if the player shown at CEDIA was a working unit; the second was concerning the price.

Is the unit working?
Quote:

Yes, the player is fully working. Some of the confusion comes from the player being a static unit. A static unit is not turned on nor is it connected to anything. Some people mistook this arrangement to assume that the player was nothing more than a black box. It works. It plays Blu-Ray discs; it plays them well.

Price?
Quote:

The price of the player is still in a state of flux. At this time we are can only confirm that the price of the player will be no less than $500, and no more than $1000. Yes, Gizmodo is reporting a more firm price range, but that range has been thrown around internally for the last year as we started looking into Blu-Ray and HD DVD technology. There will be several factors which will determine the final production price. Several factors include consumer demand, market influences caused by strong competition, costs of licensing rights, and our ability to procure the parts required to manufacture a full production unit.

Anything you want to tell us?
Quote:

Be patient. We appreciate all of the fervor, features requests, and anticipation for the player, but please remember that this player is still a work in progresses. As much as my Support team would love to talk about the player, they will no be able to. Once we have final information to disclose, we will be singing the BDP-83 features from the mountain tops.

post #198 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt that the OPPO will have any real impact on overall pS3 sales, but there will be little or no reason to purchase a PS3 solely for BD playback like so many of us on AVS. So, in that sense I would agree that it is a "PS3 killer." My guess is that Sony has little interest in defending that market anyway, since they make little or no money on the hardware.

The OPPO will have:

* better DVD playback
* integrated IR
* 7.1 analog audio
* better BD PQ?
* DVD-Audio?
* same speed

And there are a lot of people who would have no problem paying a $100 or even a $200 premium over the PS3 to get these features.
post #199 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 166
The only thing the PS3 has going for it is reliablility.

I saw the Oppp piece, picked it up (heavy) and saw that it will be loaded with features. It has the ultilitarian look of an Oppo. Nothing sexy about it... But it will likely be a solid performer for the money.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #200 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I saw the Oppp piece, picked it up (heavy) and saw that it will be loaded with features.

was that actually a DVD-Audio logo on the front, or DVD-Video?

Boo!
post #201 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Nothing sexy about it... But it will likely be a solid performer for the money.

That's a shame. I guess there are other players that the more demanding consumers can make love to...
post #202 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I believe I saw DVD-video but definitely NOT DVD-Audio.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #203 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe I saw DVD-video but definitely NOT DVD-Audio.

bummer. I hope they get that sorted out.

Boo!
post #204 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I doubt that the OPPO will have any real impact on overall pS3 sales, but there will be little or no reason to purchase a PS3 solely for BD playback like so many of us on AVS. So, in that sense I would agree that it is a "PS3 killer." My guess is that Sony has little interest in defending that market anyway, since they make little or no money on the hardware.

The OPPO will have:

* better DVD playback
* integrated IR
* 7.1 analog audio
* better BD PQ?
* DVD-Audio?
* same speed

And there are a lot of people who would have no problem paying a $100 or even a $200 premium over the PS3 to get these features.

miata, you make a valid point on the sales of the PS3 but I don't see how you would think that OPPO will be a "PS3 Killer".. Like we saw not too long ago with HD-DVD and the KNOCK OUT king "Blu-ray".... Just won't happen. Like I said I'm not a gamer and am not trying to defend the PS3 I like a good fight but I just don't see that happening...

Steve
post #205 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM

Does anyone know what happened to oppos work in applying a good subtiltle positioning alternative for the 983?! I know they worked on something, but were not really satisfied with the result and might work it out better in a new firmware!

I am refeering mostly as feature for us 2:35:1 movie watchers,when in use of an anamorphic lens, so we can move the hole texture up in the picture area, and not loosing one line in the black bar

Would be a nice feature for this upcoming bd-player

Jim
post #206 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

was that actually a DVD-Audio logo on the front, or DVD-Video?

DVD-Video. As Gizmodo and Secrets of High Fidelity have noted OPPO is hoping to enable DVD-Audio in the player. The hardware is there for it, it is just a matter of getting the software up to speed.
post #207 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr View Post

miata, you make a valid point on the sales of the PS3 but I don't see how you would think that OPPO will be a "PS3 Killer".. Like we saw not too long ago with HD-DVD and the KNOCK OUT king "Blu-ray".... Just won't happen. Like I said I'm not a gamer and am not trying to defend the PS3 I like a good fight but I just don't see that happening...

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think that is why he said "in a sense" prior to saying (paraphrasing) "that he could see it being a PS3 killer". I think he meant that for those who were buying the PS3 for a primary use of BD playback, he could see it being a PS3 killer. The reason he could be saying this is that it's because Oppo has better than average customer service and FW updates and might be more salable to more pure audio/video folks (non-gamers). I can't validate that one (I don't own an Oppo, or any Blu-Ray player. I am, however, intently, watching the progress of this new Oppo BLu-Ray player). It is between Oppo's Blu-Ray and the Pio 51 for me . . . so far.

Patiently waiting,
T
post #208 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

Does anyone know what happened to oppos work in applying a good subtiltle positioning alternative for the 983?!

This feaure was implemented quite early in the Beta program of the DV-983H, but OPPO was never really able to initiate a subtitle scaling solution which actually worked well and worked well across all media sources. The biggest problem is that the subtitles can't be added post decoding. This caused the subtitles to become elongated and rather ugly looking. Another issue is that the placement of subtitles for 2:35:1 films is not universal, so OPPO could not make a standard placement algorithm for subtitle support.

This is a feature I am still pressuring them to implement, but I can understand how this is a rather low level request at this point.
post #209 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Okay! Thanks for your info!
post #210 of 2797 Old 09-07-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Since the 983H was released March 2008, this is a very short time to be impacted by a another (improved) Blu-ray version. Wish Oppo had a trade up program.

Oppo Beta Group
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page