Panasonic BD30 Firmware Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Use this thread to discuss issues/fixes with the latest firmware updates. Current version is 2.9 (click to go there).

To check current firmware version on your BD30:

Turn on the main unit.
  1. Press the [SETUP] button on the remote control to open the display menu screen.
  2. Using the Up and Down cursor buttons on the remote control, select the "DISPLAY" tab - "DISPLAY" items will appear.
  3. Press and hold the [STATUS] button on the remote control. While doing so, the current firmware version for your player will be displayed in the lower right hand corner of the screen (e.g. "2.8").

Create the Update Disk

To do the update, download the file, then decompress it. This is critical. Do not merely burn the downloaded file. It will not work. The uncompressed file needs to end with the extension .FRM, such as PANA_DVD.FRM

To create a firmware update disc, write the decompressed file to a CD-R disc using CD-R writing software. Follow the operating instructions for the writing software to create the disc. Once the firmware update disc is created, continue to the next step.

1.About the CD-R disc:
If the firmware update disc has write errors, it will not be readable by the Panasonic BD player and you will not be able to update the firmware.

Always use a blank CD-R disc. That seems to provide the most consistently reliable results. Panasonic does not recommend using a CD-RW disc, though some people have reported using those with no update issues.

2.About the CD-R writing software:
If you are creating the firmware update disc on a Microsoft Windows XP PC, use the standard Windows XP writing application. See additional information concerning Vista and Windows 7 below.

BD Firmware Update Procedure (PDF)

Other writing software can be used, but follow the operating instructions provided for the writing software. Be aware that "packet-writing" is not supported.

Note on Burning Software

A rather large number of people have reported issues using Microsoft Vista's native burning process. XP seems to work the best. However good results have been reported using Nero and Roxio, whether under XP or Vista.

Windows 7 using Nero express has also been reported as successful.

Performing the Update

It will take about 10 minutes to update the firmware. During the firmware update procedure, do not turn the Panasonic BD player off nor disconnect AC power. Do not press any buttons,except as instructed.

Failure to do so may result in the Panasonic BD player becoming unresponsive which will require repair.

[Step-1] Turn your Panasonic BD player on.

[Step-2] Press [OPEN/CLOSE] on the Panasonic BD Player to open the disc tray. Load the firmware update disc and press [OPEN/CLOSE] on the Panasonic BD Player to close the disc tray.

DO NOT press any other buttons during the firmware update.

The Panasonic BD Player will first display "Bye" on the front panel display, automatically turn itself off and then, within a few seconds, restart again and automatically start installing the firmware from the firmware update disc.

NOTE: If the Panasonic BD Player does not restart automatically after it has turned off, press [POWER] on the Panasonic BD Player - the Panasonic BD Player will then restart and install the firmware update as normal.

[Step-3] The time to complete the firmware update will vary, however the time should not exceed 15 minutes. Please be patient during the firmware upgrade!

NOTE: During the update process, various messages will show on the front panel display of the Panasonic BD player.

[Step-4] When the firmware update is completed, "FINISH" is displayed on the front panel display of the Panasonic BD player and the disc tray opens automatically.

Take out the firmware update disc and turn off power with the power button on the main unit. The firmware update installation procedure is now complete.

[CAUTION] During the firmware update procedure, do not turn the unit off, disconnect it from AC power (outlet) and press any buttons except as instructed.

Failure to do so may result in an unresponsive unit that will require repair.

[Note]: If the firmware version currently installed in the Panasonic BD player is the same or more recent than the firmware version on the update disc, "UNSUP/PORT" will be displayed for approximately 5 seconds on the front display of the Panasonic BD player. In this case, an update is unnecessary -please remove the disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Less than a week after version 2.3, looks like Panasonic has now released version 2.4.

All this says is "playability and stability" in terms of information about what it addresses.

I will update when I get home, but do not know what exactly Panny is addressing?
Has anyone had the chance to update?
post #3 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Less than a week after version 2.3, looks like Panasonic has now released version 2.4.

All this says is "playability and stability" in terms of information about what it addresses.

This site usually has more info on what the fixes are -- but it takes a few days to have the latest version -- it is still on 2.3, but for 2.3 it says:

http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...eDownloads.asp

• Enhances playback of BD media with 24p frame rate. Discs to date with this issue:
o Drillbit Taylor
o The Ruins
o Beowulf
o Starship Troopers
o Starship Troopers 3
o Transformers
o Kill Bill Vol 1
o Kill Bill Vol 2
post #4 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM

post #5 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I normally download from here too
post #6 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That looks like it still has 2.3 instead of 2.4.
post #7 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Still no "forced" 24 fps. Considering how many of us own older (2-4 year old) expensive front projectors that can do 24 fps but need to be forced because the EPROM data is not current, it sure would be nice if Panasonic would consider us in their update routines.
A lot of us use PS3's that are compatible. Seems like panasonic could capture a large segment of the high end market with a small programming effort.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #8 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Whew! These updates are showing often, incred support from Panasonic! I skipped the 2.3 FW because I had no issues and here comes 2.4? Sweet, saved at least one CD-R (lol), makes me wonder if I should hold off for one more - sure wish they'd be a bit more clear in what these address though, I mean I understand putting out a FW "update" screams "a FIX of some sorts" on the surface, so no need to shout that loudly, but they're coming so often, more info would be nice! Still, much respect to Panny for staying after it - think someone there feels the same way many do, this is the pound for pound best BR player around, deserving of their attention.

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah
post #9 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

saved at least one CD-R (lol)

I've been burning mine multi-session. The same CD-R has 2.3, 2.2, 1.8, 1.6, 1.4, 1.3, and 1.2 all on it by now. Add 2.4 tonight, I guess.

I wonder which will happen first--BD goes obsolete or all the BD players play all the BD disks without first installing just one more firmware fix?
post #10 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Firmware update 2.3 fixed the troublesome 1080p/24 Paramount titles (Beowulf, Transformers, etc...).

However, Ralph Potts reported that he had problems with the newly released Kill Bill discs. So, perhaps 2.4 deals with that.

Ralph, can you please confirm if 2.4 has resolved the issue?
post #11 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I always do the updates even though I don't have any problems. I'll update with 2.4 tonight.
post #12 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Still no update for Region B and C players. Now we are two versions behind, surely these updates address issues for our players. Maybe Panasonic test the upgrades on Region A first
post #13 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Wow, I'm loving this player more at every FW update!

DJoel
post #14 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Still no "forced" 24 fps. Considering how many of us own older (2-4 year old) expensive front projectors that can do 24 fps but need to be forced because the EPROM data is not current, it sure would be nice if Panasonic would consider us in their update routines.

"Forced" 24p is not a good idea, and I'm sure Panasonic doesn't allow their players to do this for a reason. Yes, a literal handful of people out there do have displays that can accept this frame rate but don't have the proper EDID info to allow players to send it. Even fewer of those people understand what this means. Conversely, there are many, many people out there that do NOT have displays that can accept 24p frame rate that would set a player to this output anyway not knowing any better then they would be stuck with no picture on their TV and would likely not know how to reset the player without a picture.

Three guesses which of these scenarios Panasonic would rather deal with.
post #15 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I agree. Robert. Doesn't mean I don't sympathize with the others. It's up to the manufacturers to address this not the source material(i.e. Panasonic). They are doing everything correctly.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #16 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I did the 2.4 update and it went as smoothly as any other time. I haven't had time to watch anything yet though.
post #17 of 633 Old 09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickthrower View Post

Still no update for Region B and C players. Now we are two versions behind, surely these updates address issues for our players. Maybe Panasonic test the upgrades on Region A first

When Panasonic released firmware ver2.2 for the US, Panasonic released the EU/Oceania equivalent ver1.7 the same day. So it seems strange that the same is not true for the current firmware ver to be avaliable for Region B/C BD30's ....
post #18 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

I did the 2.4 update and it went as smoothly as any other time. I haven't had time to watch anything yet though.

Im updating now and will watch Day Watch tonight on it.

Frank

post #19 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 AM

Has anyone in the EU upgraded the firmware to 2.4?..Will the upgrade effect region B users?
post #20 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Panasonic have stated It is not recommended to update your region B BD30 with region A firmware for fear of bricking your player....
post #21 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly H View Post

Has anyone in the EU upgraded the firmware to 2.4?..Will the upgrade effect region B users?

Yes it will.

Frank

post #22 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 AM

Upgraded to Firmware v2.4.

No problems downloading or creating the firmware disk using Windows XP.

Installation went fine.

Viewed Transformers end to end last night - worked fine through the entire disk.

FIOS = Forget It Operating (anytime in most areas) Soon
post #23 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 AM
CIH USER

I use Vista. Express burn is great.

Frank

post #24 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Once again a flawless update. Now just need some time to try it out. Hopefully Kill Bill works correctly.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #25 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Hi!
I missed a few version updates.
Can I skip right to 2.4?

Trevor
My HomeTheater S.E.
Sonically Enhanced
post #26 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Schell View Post

Hi!
I missed a few version updates.
Can I skip right to 2.4?

Sure!

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
post #27 of 633 Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigKahuna View Post

Can you please provide me with an education on how to use this program to burn the PANA_DVD.FRM file?

3 coasters so far...thx.

Not sure if it is the same, but with Windows XP, I just right-click on the file, and send it to my CD/DVD drive and use the Windows burning software. I also use the same CD-RW disc over and over. Never had a problem.
post #28 of 633 Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 AM

so transformers has playback problems with older firmwares?..because im getting the film today to use on my region B player with the 1.7 update.
post #29 of 633 Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That looks like it still has 2.3 instead of 2.4.

It has 2.4 now:

post #30 of 633 Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly H View Post

so transformers has playback problems with older firmwares?..because im getting the film today to use on my region B player with the 1.7 update.

I had no problems with v2.2 either....v2.4 is more to address the 24fps issue and other specific disk items (not found on Transformers).

FIOS = Forget It Operating (anytime in most areas) Soon
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page