The Official Sony BDP-S550 Owner's Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 3986 Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found a post where it was suggested to repeatedly eject and load the disc 3,4, 5 times. Sounded like a stupid suggestion but I gave it a try. After 4th time, disc played perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 3986 Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
sony needs to do a new firware for the unknown disc problem...it is clearly a glitch that could be fixed...

<><

RTR
post #3963 of 3986 Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 AM

No longer reads any disc including DVD. Just says "No Disk."

Is it even worth considering repair? I'm guessing that maybe the laser has gotten weak. The drive would cost about $120 and there's not only no guaranty that will fix it but who knows if any special setup or alignment would need to be done. The only reason I'm interested is that this player does built-in 5.1/7.1 decoding and lets one suppress on-screen BS which is helpful in a professional situation. That's also a major reason I have not sprung for an Oppo. For that much money, I'd like that option. Oppo has heard from many techs that they'd sell a lot more players if they offered that, maybe with a future firmware update but they say they have no plans to. But I digress.

So barring repair, or aiming high with an Oppo, what low end players, are good, can suppress on-screen symbols, AND still offer an optical or coax audio output? I can use an external decoder if I have to in place of built-in decoding but I have no means to pick the audio off HDMI.
post #3964 of 3986 Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Questions about repairing belong here in the official thread. If you are looking for a new player, please use the Help Me Choose a Player thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3965 of 3986 Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmteknik View Post

No longer reads any disc including DVD. Just says "No Disk."

Is it even worth considering repair? I'm guessing that maybe the laser has gotten weak. The drive would cost about $120 and there's not only no guaranty that will fix it but who knows if any special setup or alignment would need to be done. The only reason I'm interested is that this player does built-in 5.1/7.1 decoding and lets one suppress on-screen BS which is helpful in a professional situation. That's also a major reason I have not sprung for an Oppo. For that much money, I'd like that option. Oppo has heard from many techs that they'd sell a lot more players if they offered that, maybe with a future firmware update but they say they have no plans to. But I digress.

So barring repair, or aiming high with an Oppo, what low end players, are good, can suppress on-screen symbols, AND still offer an optical or coax audio output? I can use an external decoder if I have to in place of built-in decoding but I have no means to pick the audio off HDMI.

Have you made any attempt at cleaning the laser assembly inside the drive? You may just have a dirty lens assembly?
Also - you might be able to pick up a used player that suits your needs. If you come across a S350 with a working drive, you should be able to swap it into your S550.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #3966 of 3986 Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 PM

yes.If you are looking for advice on WHICH PLAYER IS RIGHT FOR YOUR SET UP, please take it to the sticky thread. thanks kec8
post #3967 of 3986 Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 AM

I was thinking about how it doesn't recognize CD's or DVD's either. That's a separate laser assembly so a weak BD laser would not necessarily affect those. There could be something else wrong with the drive which getting a new drive would correct but the weak laser idea makes less sense now that I remember that there are separate ones.
post #3968 of 3986 Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
hello all, I finally got a hdmi receiver (Yamaha rx-a830) to pair with my sony bdp-550. the sony is still a beast. fantastic picture!!!!

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #3969 of 3986 Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yep, was still mightily impressed with the upscaling of a DVD I threw in last night. Hoping it lasts for a bit longer yet.
post #3970 of 3986 Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 AM

I was wondering, has anyone found a need to upgrade the included 1GB USB drive that came in the box with the BDP-S550? I was picking up a drive for the S5100 I just purchased and was curious if anyone had upgraded the drive in their S550 and if so, what the reason was to do the upgrade.
post #3971 of 3986 Old 12-18-2013, 01:19 PM

Since 2008 we have owned a Sony BDP-S550 to play blu ray discs. To play SACDs, DVD-As, and CDs we use a 2004 Pioneer DV-59AVi. Both are in excellent working order. At times I feel I should replace these two components with a new single item: either a Oppo BDP-103 or a Sony BDP-S790. Our thinking is to have one device that does all or most of what we want instead of two. Although we occasionally download movies from Apple TV or AT&T Uverse, we still play blu rays. We don't use Netflix or any other such service. Is there any compelling reason to update the Sony and Pioneer, aside from reducing the number of boxes in our equipment shelf? I'm aware that the Sony BDP-S790 does not play DVD-A and that the Oppo does.

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

post #3972 of 3986 Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Sony S790 does not support DVD-A as you said. Sony only supports SACD. For DVD-A, you'll need a universal player such as Oppo, Denon, Marantz, or Pioneer.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3973 of 3986 Old 12-18-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike424242 View Post

I was wondering, has anyone found a need to upgrade the included 1GB USB drive that came in the box with the BDP-S550? I was picking up a drive for the S5100 I just purchased and was curious if anyone had upgraded the drive in their S550 and if so, what the reason was to do the upgrade.

Nope, the 1 gig has been fine, although I dont think i've ever used the BD Live features of the BR player.
post #3974 of 3986 Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike424242 View Post

If you use BD-Live and download the extras before playing (vs. streaming them in lower resolution) and not delete them afterwards, you might benefit from a higher capacity usb thumb drive. But if you haven't run into a problem yet, it probably doesn't matter. And if you do run short of memory in the thumb drive, you can always simply clean it out.

post #3975 of 3986 Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Liked: 11
Can anyone recommend a good laser cleaning disc for the s550..
The laser assembly is sealed from the top and is very difficult to access.
Thanks
post #3976 of 3986 Old 03-27-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
post #3977 of 3986 Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 AM

Thanks subavision212. I am getting the "unknown disc""cannot operate disc" messages on my Netflix bluray rentals and on some blurays in my own collection. This disc would be a "Hail Mary" effort to fix the player before buying a new Samsung BD F5900. I have repaired my Oppo standard DVD and Laser Disc players using isopropyl alcohol and a camel hair brush but those lasers were easily accessed.
post #3978 of 3986 Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't know what kind of lenses are used in these players, but I would think isopropyl alcohol would ruin plastic ones???
post #3979 of 3986 Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiti View Post

Thanks subavision212. I am getting the "unknown disc""cannot operate disc" messages on my Netflix bluray rentals and on some blurays in my own collection. This disc would be a "Hail Mary" effort to fix the player before buying a new Samsung BD F5900. I have repaired my Oppo standard DVD and Laser Disc players using isopropyl alcohol and a camel hair brush but those lasers were easily accessed.

I've always cleaned laser lens with: compressed air (to remove anything loose), gentle cleaning with denatured alcohol on a q-tip, then the compressed air again to make sure any alcohol residue is evaporated.

post #3980 of 3986 Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 AM

Hi Guys

Had a problem with the AU BDPS550 not playing the Metallica Through the Never movie. Disc error. Contacted Sony and got sent the 7.2.026 firmware for the AUS players. They burnt it to a UDF disc so I had to redo to CDFS format data disc. I've updated to the 7.2.026 firmware and can now play the disc. Apparently this enables Cinavia too BTW I haven't tested that.

Here's the Zipped ISO I created and uploaded to Mega for others as Sony took weeks to send:

https://mega.co.nz/#!M9Zh0TiR!Nl9cGnFrJcBVtd-QLmfmYc6lEjZ_C02P_T0LYP6lP6w

Rockets84

post #3981 of 3986 Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the upload, champ. Havnt needed to update from the last firmware yet, but will stick it on the harddrive just in case.
post #3982 of 3986 Old 05-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets84 View Post

Hi Guys

Had a problem with the AU BDPS550 not playing the Metallica Through the Never movie. Disc error. Contacted Sony and got sent the 7.2.026 firmware for the AUS players. They burnt it to a UDF disc so I had to redo to CDFS format data disc. I've updated to the 7.2.026 firmware and can now play the disc. Apparently this enables Cinavia too BTW I haven't tested that.

Here's the Zipped ISO I created and uploaded to Mega for others as Sony took weeks to send:
 https://mega.co.nz/#!M9Zh0TiR!Nl9cGnFrJcBVtd-QLmfmYc6lEjZ_C02P_T0LYP6lP6w

Rockets84

The USA firmware #026 for the S550 was originally released on 6/21/12 and is cinavia free.

post #3983 of 3986 Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 AM

Region B AU Files for #026 from Sony are dated 2012-05-29. These were never released to the public officially by Sony for some reason. A month ago when they told me when they sent them to me they had Cinavia. I don't believe that now but I'm not going to test either because I don't use media with my 550. They fixed an issue that Sony AU knows about but doesn't care about users by not releasing them. Look at the users posts about asking Sony for them and they say they don't exist. They are now out in public and users who dropped a lot of money to get this player can easily update it to fix the Disc Error problem without the effort around to do it like I had to do. I have a lot of Sony equipment in my house but I won't buy again due to this.

ausdavep likes this.
post #3984 of 3986 Old 05-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets84 View Post

Region B AU Files for #026 from Sony are dated 2012-05-29. These were never released to the public officially by Sony for some reason. A month ago when they told me when they sent them to me they had Cinavia. I don't believe that now but I'm not going to test either because I don't use media with my 550. They fixed an issue that Sony AU knows about but doesn't care about users by not releasing them. Look at the users posts about asking Sony for them and they say they don't exist. They are now out in public and users who dropped a lot of money to get this player can easily update it to fix the Disc Error problem without the effort around to do it like I had to do. I have a lot of Sony equipment in my house but I won't buy again due to this.

I find Sony's attitude concerning their fixation and obsession with DRM to be royally annoying. They should worry more about customer satisfaction than the BS their movie division is whispering in their ears. But I have had excellent experience with their hardware. So . . I will work my existing Sony players (S350, S550 & S1000ES) to death since they are all excellent and remain free of cinavia corruption. When and if they die . . well . . optical media will probably be long gone in favor of streaming from the "cloud" (aka . . from absolutely nowhere) with reduced quality and a whole fresh batch of use restrictions. I do not expect to participate in that . . . just one less customer, Sony . . no big deal.

post #3985 of 3986 Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 AM

An update: I tried two cleaning discs one from Memorex the other from Maxwell which did not play at all. Since I have the latest firmware 026 I am out of luck I guess?
post #3986 of 3986 Old 05-20-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I find Sony's attitude concerning their fixation and obsession with DRM to be royally annoying. They should worry more about customer satisfaction than the BS their movie division is whispering in their ears. But I have had excellent experience with their hardware. So . . I will work my existing Sony players (S350, S550 & S1000ES) to death since they are all excellent and remain free of cinavia corruption. When and if they die . . well . . optical media will probably be long gone in favor of streaming from the "cloud" (aka . . from absolutely nowhere) with reduced quality and a whole fresh batch of use restrictions. I do not expect to participate in that . . . just one less customer, Sony . . no big deal.

Unfortunately Sony is a media content producer now and not delivering or capturing content only. Producers are obsessed with stopping piracy of their content. Every DRM system has been a flop and they only get in the way of people who are actually paying customers. All I want is when I put the disc in it works and and goes straight to the movie and plays it without the same media company logo's replayed 3 times or more. This is what the pirates get. I especially hate non skippable previews especially when I bought the movie not rented it.

I just can't understand why Sony hasn't pushed the 26 firmware for region b players to the auto update system. Why region a has it and b doesn't makes no sense. I've calmed down a bit and I'll still consider them for future hadware purchases. I replied at length to the support guy I dealt with at Sony ANZ and gave him a glowing report on his support provided and to forward to his manager. I also took the time to detail if the firmware had been pushed to auto update 2 years ago I wouldn't have even had to contact support in the first place. The Sony ANZ case survey got the same treatment as well. Here's hoping sanity finally prevails but I doubt it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page