The Official Sony BDP-S550 Owner's Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The Official Sony BDP-S550 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I think we all got our monies worth. If mine died today I would not feel betrayed.

Yeah l got a good 7 years out of mine. The unit itself is in great condition. I'll probably throw it on eBay real cheap. Maybe somebody else can fix it and get a few more years out of it.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mine just started generating Unknown Disc errors, both on new BD's as well as old media which previously didn't have that problem. Has anyone actually resolved this problem using something like that Maxell BD cleaner, or would it require the alcohol & Q-tips? On a tangent, I still have the Nakamichi solution and foam Q-tips which came new with my Dragon... perhaps I'm a hoarder.

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Velodyne F1200
Old 06-09-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the same problem with my s550. I took it apart but was unable to access the laser assembly because it is sealed. None of my cleaning discs worked as well.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiti View Post
I have the same problem with my s550. I took it apart but was unable to access the laser assembly because it is sealed. None of my cleaning discs worked as well.
Mine had the same problems about 3 months ago.....replaced it with the Yamaha BD-S677 not a bad player for just spinning Bluray
Sound quality is really good and it throws out a nice image,,,

The Sony 550 was one of the first really solid players in my opinion RIP
slimm likes this.

bignorm is my bulldog!!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I picked up one of these for a song last week just to have a play with the blu ray format as the media is getting cheap enough for me to consider these days - I am the antithesis of the early adopter (aka tightfist)

A few little teething problems setting up over analogue to my pre-HDMI receiver, mostly caused by father time doing his thing to rca jacks.

Handy little device - upscales my SD DVD collection very nicely, much better than my upscaling universal player.

I grabbed "The Croods" to try out the actual Blu-ray format - never hurts to pitch a new A/V adventure as something for the kids before loading up on the sci-fi and action blockbusters

Hmm...maybe should have looked into this a little earlier! The lossless audio is a big step up - Clarity (especially dialogue) and spaciousness of the sound is much improved - I found we can have the master volume higher and I have been able trim a few dB out of the sub channel trim. I certainly haven't experienced any loss or weak bass that was a concern in the early days of this thread - looking at my resultant trims compared to my digital input trims I guess my AVR dumps +10dB onto the analogue input automatically.

Picture is a nice step up. My screen is too small for the distance to properly appreciate things - more a 720p viewing distance - but it's clear the Blu ray is a better picture than DVD despite the nice upscaling. Might be able to justify a larger screen when the kids are a bit older and more trustworthy!

Have the loading times on the latest players improved much in comparison? That is probably the biggest gripe from the wife compared to playing a DVD.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface1 View Post
I picked up one of these for a song last week just to have a play with the blu ray format as the media is getting cheap enough for me to consider these days - I am the antithesis of the early adopter (aka tightfist)

A few little teething problems setting up over analogue to my pre-HDMI receiver, mostly caused by father time doing his thing to rca jacks.

Handy little device - upscales my SD DVD collection very nicely, much better than my upscaling universal player.

I grabbed "The Croods" to try out the actual Blu-ray format - never hurts to pitch a new A/V adventure as something for the kids before loading up on the sci-fi and action blockbusters

Hmm...maybe should have looked into this a little earlier! The lossless audio is a big step up - Clarity (especially dialogue) and spaciousness of the sound is much improved - I found we can have the master volume higher and I have been able trim a few dB out of the sub channel trim. I certainly haven't experienced any loss or weak bass that was a concern in the early days of this thread - looking at my resultant trims compared to my digital input trims I guess my AVR dumps +10dB onto the analogue input automatically.

Picture is a nice step up. My screen is too small for the distance to properly appreciate things - more a 720p viewing distance - but it's clear the Blu ray is a better picture than DVD despite the nice upscaling. Might be able to justify a larger screen when the kids are a bit older and more trustworthy!

Have the loading times on the latest players improved much in comparison? That is probably the biggest gripe from the wife compared to playing a DVD.

My S7200 is lightning fast compared to my old S550.. Terminator 2 judgement day was obnoxiously slow to load on my S550, but I blame the disc more for that. To much crap to go through before its gets to the movie. The S7200 just speeds through the crap much quicker.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Pieface1 likes this.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Interesting that this thread showed up. I've had mine since they first came out. Still going strong. What a quality player! Has not had a firmware update available in a few years but still plays the latest discs. I'll probable replace it when the 4K players become available.
slimm likes this.

Samsung 55HU8550 TH02
SEK-3500
Darbee Darblet
Old 07-10-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Replacement?

This has been such a great player. Has anyone thought of a suitable replacement? I don't like what I'm reading at the Sony 6500 owners thread.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
This has been such a great player. Has anyone thought of a suitable replacement? I don't like what I'm reading at the Sony 6500 owners thread.
I bought a Oppo 93 awhile back but I keep the 550 in my bedroom. Still works great.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the fast reply!

I considered Oppo. However, I'm not plunking down Oppo money with 4K on the horizon. Oppo support did say they would have a 4K player by end of 2016. Perhaps I'll check for a used Oppo.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
Thanks for the fast reply!

I considered Oppo. However, I'm not plunking down Oppo money with 4K on the horizon. Oppo support did say they would have a 4K player by end of 2016. Perhaps I'll check for a used Oppo.
Be careful with used Oppo's . . some of the models do not like playing Dolby TrueHD/Atmos titles if the disc also has complex seamless branching being used on it & you expect to bitstream the native lossless audio track to your receiver. I believe the issue is with 8x & 9x players.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Guess I'll get something else to bridge the gap in the interim. Samsung 6500?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I don't like what I've read about that one either.

I guess I'll reward Sony since I've enjoyed the S550 for so many years and trust them and purchase a bdp s6500.

Tags
Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S350 by PriceGrabber.com