The Official Sony BDP-S550 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > The Official Sony BDP-S550 Owner's Thread
BTaylor500's Avatar BTaylor500 11:04 AM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

If your receiver does analog bass management be sure to set the speakers in the Sony to large to send the full range signal to you receiver.

I am not experiencing muted sound quality. Quite the opposite as it is exceeding my expecations.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think the SR703 has analog bass management. I've gone through the manual pretty thouroughly and don't see any reference to this. I could be wrong though. In any event, I'll try setting the speakers to large in the S550 and see if this helps.

For all of you S550 owners out there connected via analog....or those prospective buyers contempating the same connection, I certainly don't want to imply the the S550 via analog is a definite "no go". I very well could be missing a basic setting somewhere or be limited by my SR703 receivers ability to properly handle analog.

Tarheel72's Avatar Tarheel72 11:24 AM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTaylor500 View Post

Thanks for the input. I also have an Onkyo SR703 and have connected the S550 to it using 8 analog connections. I've done comparisons between DTS 5.1 over optical and DTS-MA 7.1 over analog with the Forbidden Kingdom title. There is no comparison to me. The The DTS over optical sounds much better than the DTS-MA 7.1 over analog in almost every respect. The sound is more detailed, dynamic, fuller. The DTS-MA just sounds muted to me.

If the settings are accurate the DTS HD MA will sound better. You absolutely have to do the 10db boost for the sub, either in the AVR or the player. Otherwise your bass will drop off to nothing
RDBhan's Avatar RDBhan 01:10 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDStang View Post

Thanks for the input. I also have an Onkyo SR703 and have connected the S550 to it using 8 analog connections. I've done comparisons between DTS 5.1 over optical and DTS-MA 7.1 over analog with the Forbidden Kingdom title. There is no comparison to me. The The DTS over optical sounds much better than the DTS-MA 7.1 over analog in almost every respect. The sound is more detailed, dynamic, fuller. The DTS-MA just sounds muted to me.

This is killing me...I don't want to spend the extra $100 on the 550 vs the 350 if the sound quality isn't noticeable (I don't have HDMI on my receiver). Any other feedback?

I have the 550s connected to my Onkyo receiver by analog cables - 7.1. The sound is better than anything I've heard in SDDVD or HDDVD. The bass took some work but eventually sounded great, I had to increase the level of the sub but drop the level on the other speakers and then increase the overall volume. It took me around an hour but was well worth the effort. I am definitely happy I spent the extra money for this feature (over the 350).
mtnbum's Avatar mtnbum 01:10 PM 10-17-2008
"If the settings are accurate the DTS HD MA will sound better. You absolutely have to do the 10db boost for the sub, either in the AVR or the player. Otherwise your bass will drop off to nothing"

Hmmmm. I got the unit last night. this morning I did a quick-cal(audio) and noticed the low sub level during the multi-speaker level test-tone adjustment....However....this did not translate during sd/bd playback..Initially I did have to adjust(my pre-pro) by 10db the sub output for level/test-tone. But during playback it was immediately apparent I had wayyyyyy too much sub/bass and re-adjusted my pre-pro back to its original level. So no complaints here..And yes, Virginial, it was a snap for me to get glorious 5.1/7.1 dts ma output over analog cables. Yay!! So far, I really like this unit. I will post my pithy full review by tomorrow or Sunday. Made in Japan!!!!!
snsguy's Avatar snsguy 01:59 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

Does anyone have the 550 with a Samsung LN**650 that is experiencing any compatibility issues or anything of that sort. I know I have heard specific problems with the Panasonic Blu-ray players and the Samsungs 650 series so I wanted to make sure before I take the plunge. Also I'm pretty sure my reciever will handle the 7.1 reciever but I jsut wanted to check with you guys to make sure. I have the Onkyo HT-R540 which has multichannel input and PCM. It's the S790 Home theater in a box. You can find the specs here. http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i
An feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

SNSGUY

Anyone?
Rich86's Avatar Rich86 02:00 PM 10-17-2008
Now that a number of you have your new Sony blu-ray players - maybe someone could answer a few questions that the Sony CSR rep's are unable to handle.

1. if you connect the S550 via analog to a receiver only capable of handling 5.1 analog inputs, and you set the S550 rear surrounds speakers to "none" in the setup - how does the player handle this? Does it dump the rear surround audio into never never land? Or mix it into the other rear surround analog channels?

2. have folks confirmed that Sony has purposely dropped slow motion and frame advance for video in these new players with no intentions of restoring these seemingly basic features?

3. is more BD-Live memory good? Does it get used? Or is 1gb all the player sees and uses and makes you clear stuff out when it gets full?
Thanks.
BTaylor500's Avatar BTaylor500 02:00 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTaylor500
Thanks for the input. I also have an Onkyo SR703 and have connected the S550 to it using 8 analog connections. I've done comparisons between DTS 5.1 over optical and DTS-MA 7.1 over analog with the Forbidden Kingdom title. There is no comparison to me. The The DTS over optical sounds much better than the DTS-MA 7.1 over analog in almost every respect. The sound is more detailed, dynamic, fuller. The DTS-MA just sounds muted to me.

If the settings are accurate the DTS HD MA will sound better. You absolutely have to do the 10db boost for the sub, either in the AVR or the player. Otherwise your bass will drop off to nothing

Update:
I just spent some time working with the Audio settings in the S550 (ie size, distance, level) and then used a Sound level meter to do some calibration tweaking on the sound level of the various speakers. I started with the sound levels in the player for all speakers at -10db (except the sub...left it at 0db) and calibrated from there. A big improvement in overall sound from my initial tests! Since my receiver (ie onkyo SR703 does not have bass management on analog....I'm still probably missing some fine tuning in the equalization area that I would normally have with Dolby/DTS over optical....but I guess I can live with this.

I'm very happy with the player overall!
MovieMike's Avatar MovieMike 04:27 PM 10-17-2008
Any of you owners try the video settings (ie, chroma, gamma, sharpness) on BDs? Interested in these, especially sharpness, so I can add a touch as necessary to my CRT front projector. Also does sharpness work well or does it add any bad ringing?
rbcole's Avatar rbcole 04:31 PM 10-17-2008
My 550 was delivered yesterday and wow! Rented Speed Racer and Crystal Skull.

When I initially hooked up the 550 to my older panny (AE500) projector it was not displaying the entire picture. Could have something to do with my HDMI-DVI gender bender? Anyone else see this? So I've got the 550 video connected via component but still looks great.

Crytal Skull is only Dolby Tru and I see that coming thru no prob. I need to rent a DTS-MA and make sure that is working correctly.

I also did notice the lower LFE that everyone is talking about. After setting all speakers to large on the 550 I still had to crank the sub up quite a bit to get it in cal with my SPL meter.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has see the compatibilty issue with the HDMI-DVI. My XA-1 worked fine with the gender bender so surprised me when I had the video issue with the 550.
dave7002's Avatar dave7002 04:46 PM 10-17-2008
News S550 connected to Denon 4308. I cannot get the Denon to accept the video signal from the Sony S550. HDMI output, resolution set at auto; 1080p/24hz turned off.

Anyone else have problems with set-up? Do I need a 4308 firmware fix?

Help. By the way, connected it direct to my other plasma direct, and plays great.
regs4's Avatar regs4 06:44 PM 10-17-2008
csrini1
Thanks for the input. What would happen if you went 'Automatic' instead? Am I correct in assuming the 550 would do the decode and if so, what would be the difference? Thanks, Regs4
snsguy's Avatar snsguy 07:44 PM 10-17-2008
I have the Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB and was reading through my manual and it says that if I have it set to multichannel, which would be the 7.1 analogue in, that my settings for speaker distance and levels is ignored and plays what the source is relaying only. My question is since I am limited to levels for each speaker and not able to change the crossover feature does the 550 have any settings for me to able to do that so I can have it balanced correctly. I am able to to change the bass for 0 db to +5db +10db and +15db. But no other settings for the rest of the speakers to do with levels. Also will it truly be decoding from the player properly to be able to hear tru hd sound? Thanks.

SNSGUY
mtnbum's Avatar mtnbum 09:14 PM 10-17-2008
"I also did notice the lower LFE that everyone is talking about. After setting all speakers to large on the 550 I still had to crank the sub up quite a bit to get it in cal with my SPL meter."

I posted earlier on my experience with sub/lfe output. I don't seem to have this problem at all....unless I rely on the test tone level provided by the S550. Then it's 10db too high(in real movie playback)! But it was indeed -10 below the other channels according to the unit's test tones. I tried some portions of a few bd discs(POTC, Die Hard4, etc. and I got all the rumble I need and expected. In the end, I didn't change from the default level settings(odb) and didn't have to change my original pre-pro settings. Damn good bass.
HoneyWell's Avatar HoneyWell 10:55 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7002 View Post

News S550 connected to Denon 4308. I cannot get the Denon to accept the video signal from the Sony S550. HDMI output, resolution set at auto; 1080p/24hz turned off.

Anyone else have problems with set-up? Do I need a 4308 firmware fix?

Help. By the way, connected it direct to my other plasma direct, and plays great.

I think your problem lays in configuring the receiver. Make sure you choose the right video output where your S550 is connected into the receiver. I have a different receiver but I assure you that your problem is just minimal, Receiver Configuration. Read the manual. Good Luck!

HDMI Output set it back to 1080p and turn back on 1080p/24. I assure you, it's a configuration issue...
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 11:04 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

I have the Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB and was reading through my manual and it says that if I have it set to multichannel, which would be the 7.1 analogue in, that my settings for speaker distance and levels is ignored and plays what the source is relaying only. My question is since I am limited to levels for each speaker and not able to change the crossover feature does the 550 have any settings for me to able to do that so I can have it balanced correctly. I am able to to change the bass for 0 db to +5db +10db and +15db. But no other settings for the rest of the speakers to do with levels. Also will it truly be decoding from the player properly to be able to hear tru hd sound?

The only BD players with real bass management and other digital processing tools are the expensive models such as the Denon 3800BDCI. The S550 has a fixed crossover at an unknown point (probably 80Hz or 100Hz) and speaker distance settings. That's it.

You will likely need to boost the sub by 10-15db in the AVR because it arrives over analog that much lower than it needs to be. (It should be boosted in the receiver, not the player.)

You need a player that can decode TrueHD and dts-MA in order to get lossless with analog.
pwiss's Avatar pwiss 11:16 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbum View Post

"I also did notice the lower LFE that everyone is talking about. After setting all speakers to large on the 550 I still had to crank the sub up quite a bit to get it in cal with my SPL meter."

I posted earlier on my experience with sub/lfe output. I don't seem to have this problem at all....unless I rely on the test tone level provided by the S550. Then it's 10db too high(in real movie playback)! But it was indeed -10 below the other channels according to the unit's test tones. I tried some portions of a few bd discs(POTC, Die Hard4, etc. and I got all the rumble I need and expected. In the end, I didn't change from the default level settings(odb) and didn't have to change my original pre-pro settings. Damn good bass.

I don't have this problem either. I had my audio calibrated previously by UMR and kept those settings. I set the speakers to Large in the Sony's menu and applied my HK7200's bass management and I am getting excellent base response. I too would not rely on the provided test tones. The best thing to do would be getting an SPL meter and a quality test disc or have ones system professionally calibrated.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 11:29 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

I don't have this problem either. I had my audio calibrated previously by UMR and kept those settings. I set the speakers to Large in the Sony's menu and applied my HK7200's bass management and I am getting excellent base response. I too would not rely on the provided test tones. The best thing to do would be getting an SPL meter and a quality test disc or have ones system professionally calibrated.

Does your HK redigitize the analog inputs? That's the only way its bass management would be involved and most AVRs don't have that capability. With most, bass management has to happen in the player and LFE needs to be boosted in the AVR since it properly arrives 10-15db low.
pwiss's Avatar pwiss 11:44 PM 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Does your HK redigitize the analog inputs? That's the only way its bass management would be involved and most AVRs don't have that capability. With most, bass management has to happen in the player and LFE needs to be boosted in the AVR since it properly arrives 10-15db low.

Yes it does. It was designed around the time that DVD Audio and SACD were supposed to be the next big thing. The HK is able to have a direct mode for 6 or 8 channel or a "DVD Audio mode" for 6 or 8 channel. With the DVD Audio mode it uses the triple crossover system to apply bass management. Based on my speakers capabilities I set the fronts and center at 60 and the rears at 80. I believe the HK's and some the the Outlaw products were some of the few to use this feature which was based on Cirrus chips.
Kage's Avatar Kage 11:56 PM 10-17-2008
I done a comparison with the S550 and BD55 and in the end I felt that the Sony is a better player.
pwiss's Avatar pwiss 12:05 AM 10-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I done a comparison with the S550 and BD55 and in the end I felt that the Sony is a better player.

My comprehension skills must be failing. That is not what I got out of the other thread.
Kage's Avatar Kage 12:09 AM 10-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

My comprehension skills must be failing. That is not what I got out of the other thread.

I did two comparisons on that thread. My first comparison was first impressions, second comparison is the second impressions and final decision.
Kage's Avatar Kage 12:11 AM 10-18-2008
I found a review on the S550 at http://whathifi.com/Review/Sony-BDP-S550/.
tomrowe125's Avatar tomrowe125 12:34 AM 10-18-2008
Couple of questions- first, how's the fan noise on this player, if any? I just bought the new 80G PS3, and while it's generally an excellent machine, the fan noise- esp. when upsampling DVDs- is driving me to distraction (I'm within the 30 day return period, so I may replace it with the S550). Second, is the layer change visible with DVDs? It was unnoticeable on the PS3. Thanks for any info!- Tom
Kage's Avatar Kage 12:37 AM 10-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrowe125 View Post

Couple of questions- first, how's the fan noise on this player, if any? I just bought the new 80G PS3, and while it's generally an excellent machine, the fan noise- esp. when upsampling DVDs- is driving me to distraction (I'm within the 30 day return period, so I may replace it with the S550). Second, is the layer change visible with DVDs? It was unnoticeable on the PS3. Thanks for any info!- Tom

There is fan noise, but is very quiet. The layer change is visible.
bibo01's Avatar bibo01 01:08 AM 10-18-2008
Kage,

where is your BD55 vs s550 comparison?
Thanks

Found it on a separate thread :-)
snsguy's Avatar snsguy 03:19 AM 10-18-2008
So after looking through tis thread I haven't come across whether or not the PQ is better on the 550 compared to the 350. Is there a difference? Also will using the Analogues out to a non hdmi reciever will most deffinetly sound better then using the digital optic out? I understand that your getting the true HD but are loosing quality going from digital to analogue or does the hd audio make up for all that?

SNSGUY
EricScott's Avatar EricScott 07:00 AM 10-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

So after looking through tis thread I haven't come across whether or not the PQ is better on the 550 compared to the 350. Is there a difference?

SNSGUY

very curious to know as well
JlgLaw's Avatar JlgLaw 07:14 AM 10-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snsguy View Post

......I understand that your getting the true HD but are loosing quality going from digital to analogue or does the hd audio make up for all that?

SNSGUY

At some point you are doing a D to A conversion anyway. The only question is where you want that to occur, in the player, or in the Receiver/Pre-Pro. The player is adequate, but a good Receiver/Pre-pro will likely have better DACs, which is why some prefer to decode in the Receiver/PP. When using the analog outs, the decision has already been made (obviously).

Jim
videonut's Avatar videonut 08:45 AM 10-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alannn View Post

So hard to find info on 2ch analog home theater! Guess we're misfits. Some of the best sounding audio systems out there are 2 channel. I'd even guess many 2 channel home theater owners are more concerned with audio than video!

Please someone, help us with setting instructions to get lossless or even a "lossless" downmix into 2 channel analog output with the BDP-S550.


I hooked the S550 into my Two Speaker music system (McIntosh MC402 Amp and C45 Pre Amp with a powered Sub).

S550 Sesttings:

Audio L & R outputs (located next to S/Video output)

Downmix set to Normal
BD Audio set to Direct
Audio Out Priority set to Stereo Analog


The results are really quite impressive. You will not be totally engulfed as with a multi-speaker system, but the imaging is excellent ( especially dialogue), which follows the characters around the screen.

This Sony player has a solid build quality and really performs. I'm also quite impressed with its DVD upscaling abilities, as it appears to be at least as good as my Oppo 983, which received a 100 rating from Secrets.
alannn's Avatar alannn 11:57 AM 10-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut View Post

I hooked the S550 into my Two Speaker music system (McIntosh MC402 Amp and C45 Pre Amp with a powered Sub).

S550 Sesttings:

Audio L & R outputs (located next to S/Video output)

Downmix set to Normal
BD Audio set to Direct
Audio Out Priority set to Stereo Analog


Thanks Videonut for the cookbook instructions I requested for the 2 ch settings.

My last question is if the resulting signal is the TrueHD and DTS-MA (7.1) simply mixed down internally to 2 ch or if the signal is coming from a different (lossy) audio track on the disc. (Obviously) I'm looking for a downmix without being relegated to the compressed audio track.
Tags: Sony Bdp S550 1080p Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S350 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop